Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 988041 times)

Ultimate Warrior and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

WastedHippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #3960 on: December 31, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
My partner got me this for xmas. Beautiful board - yellow ply on top blue ply on the bottom.
Have wanted to try slave since it's inception but haven't come across one (in canada).

Great score, you have a solid partner haha

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3961 on: December 31, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Expand Quote
My partner got me this for xmas. Beautiful board - yellow ply on top blue ply on the bottom.
Have wanted to try slave since it's inception but haven't come across one (in canada).

[close]

So sick. I just bought a Pat Burke 8.5 and it’s my favorite deck I have ever skated. I have it on Indy 144s and 53mm lock ins. I skated 8.25 for years and was afraid to move up but am glad I did. What a great gift you got.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3962 on: December 31, 2019, 11:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So sick. I just bought a Pat Burke 8.5 and it’s my favorite deck I have ever skated. I have it on Indy 144s and 53mm lock ins. I skated 8.25 for years and was afraid to move up but am glad I did. What a great gift you got.

Which woodshop are Slave boards pressed in?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #3963 on: December 31, 2019, 11:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which woodshop are Slave boards pressed in?
I had one a few months ago pressed by Generator
fuck you bama

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3964 on: January 01, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »
Spitfire Radial Slims in 54mm 99a thanks to the recommendation from the guys on here. First time riding a new set of Spitfires in a new size (usually 52mm) and durometer (usually 101a or 103a).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #3965 on: January 01, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
Has anyone ever had Black Magic grip with brown backing? I ordered what was supposed to be a 3 pack of BM online and when it got here it didn't have the usual white backing with their logo on it, it was just 3 sheets of grip with brown backing that had no distinguishing marks whatsoever. Its fairly thin which matches up with what I remember and the color looks pretty close to the least worn parts of the one deck that I know I put BM on, but it feels a bit grittier.

Is it possible that Shorty's did a run with zero branding and totally different backing paper or did I just get the old bait n switch? I tried asking through the Shorty's "contact us" form but no answer, and the email address I found is no longer active.

boogs

« Reply #3966 on: January 01, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
Has anyone ever had Black Magic grip with brown backing? I ordered what was supposed to be a 3 pack of BM online and when it got here it didn't have the usual white backing with their logo on it, it was just 3 sheets of grip with brown backing that had no distinguishing marks whatsoever. Its fairly thin which matches up with what I remember and the color looks pretty close to the least worn parts of the one deck that I know I put BM on, but it feels a bit grittier.

Is it possible that Shorty's did a run with zero branding and totally different backing paper or did I just get the old bait n switch? I tried asking through the Shorty's "contact us" form but no answer, and the email address I found is no longer active.
The last batch of black magic that I saw had plain brown paper backing. I have no idea why but I knew when people saw it it would be questioned.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #3967 on: January 01, 2020, 10:14:14 AM »

found a guy selling the first pair for cheap, skated them once and they fit too small on him. bought em and got a message saying he had another new pair brand new and would chuck em in for an extra tenner. £30 for two pairs aint too bad.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3968 on: January 01, 2020, 10:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The last batch of black magic that I saw had plain brown paper backing. I have no idea why but I knew when people saw it it would be questioned.

Well that makes me feel better. When I compared it to the BM I had on an older deck it seemed close but not as smooth, but that might just be from wear and tear. I wonder why they changed it.... it also seems to be out of stock in a lot of places so maybe they changed suppliers?

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #3969 on: January 01, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »
My wife got me a set of 54mm Spitfire Classics and a Welcome deck with Jessup grip
https://shop.ccs.com/welcome-seahorse-2-on-a-vimana-skateboard-deck-yellow-8-25

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #3970 on: January 02, 2020, 06:26:42 AM »
Polar Halberg 8.5 deck. I like the shape, but I bought it because of the wheel wells.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3971 on: January 02, 2020, 03:18:45 PM »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3972 on: January 02, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Swiss 6 are the absolute Truth.
[close]
I can never go back after rockin ron's ceramics.
[close]

Isn’t ol Ron hard to find these days. Always wanted to try a set

I've been told they're just NMB bearings with a sticker on them. Never had a set to see for myself, but you can find 608-2rs bearings from NMB from a ton of suppliers on the web. I can say this though - his little rant that gets reposted in every bearing thread is at least partially bullshit. I went through the trouble of ordering German made bearings from 2 manufacturers (GMN and FAG) and neither of them were very good. Even after clearing the factory grease and lubing them up with speed lube they weren't any faster than your average chinese bearing, and they're slower than good ones.

Just got my xmas present to myself order from SPoT. Really glad I was able to get my hands on one of the Havran pro models. I think Fletch said he only had like 30 made and they sold out on the DOA site super fast, so I was stoked to see one pop up at SPoT and in 8.25. Really like the graphic, everything he does is so simple but so rad. Shoes are Samba ADVs which are pretty underwhelming at first glance to be honest, maybe they'll skate better but they kind of look and feel like they're just regular sambas with a mesh tongue. Also grabbed another set of Venture 5.6 V-Hollows since they're the new "cool" truck right? 

Natas shirt wasn't from SPoT but I just got it and it's cool as shit so I threw it on the pile. 

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #3973 on: January 02, 2020, 06:16:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Swiss 6 are the absolute Truth.
[close]
I can never go back after rockin ron's ceramics.
[close]

Isn’t ol Ron hard to find these days. Always wanted to try a set
[close]

I've been told they're just NMB bearings with a sticker on them. Never had a set to see for myself, but you can find 608-2rs bearings from NMB from a ton of suppliers on the web. I can say this though - his little rant that gets reposted in every bearing thread is at least partially bullshit. I went through the trouble of ordering German made bearings from 2 manufacturers (GMN and FAG) and neither of them were very good. Even after clearing the factory grease and lubing them up with speed lube they weren't any faster than your average chinese bearing, and they're slower than good ones.

Just got my xmas present to myself order from SPoT. Really glad I was able to get my hands on one of the Havran pro models. I think Fletch said he only had like 30 made and they sold out on the DOA site super fast, so I was stoked to see one pop up at SPoT and in 8.25. Really like the graphic, everything he does is so simple but so rad. Shoes are Samba ADVs which are pretty underwhelming at first glance to be honest, maybe they'll skate better but they kind of look and feel like they're just regular sambas with a mesh tongue. Also grabbed another set of Venture 5.6 V-Hollows since they're the new "cool" truck right? 

Natas shirt wasn't from SPoT but I just got it and it's cool as shit so I threw it on the pile.
In case ppl don't know RS stands for removable shield. I think ZZ is metal shields.

I got nostalgic and curious about GMN bearings too. Thinking the same as you, any good/cheap stuff out there? You sourced from the 2nd company? How cheap?
https://www.gmnbt.com/ USA GMN company
https://www.gmn.de/en/ball-bearings/ German GMN

https://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/schaeffler_2/reprint/downloads_16/ssd_15_en_en.pdf
https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/27-5135.htm Kinda pricey
FAG used to make a crazy 608 bearing that didn't need oil/grease, dry flim lube on the races, 5 ceramic balls.

SKF is another bearing company, they're partnered with Ferrari. They had a skate team for a minute, I think Reynolds was on it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3974 on: January 02, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
The GMN I got were a set of vintage 90s zz ones with the metal shields and then a newer set of 2rs ones. They seemed to be identical other than the shields. The old GMN I got from a vintage skate gear seller.

The FAG and newer GMN I sourced from a guy on ebay in the czech republic. They're really hard to find at a reasonable price in the US, most places sell them as singles or in bulk so a set of 8 was as much as just buying swiss 6 at that point. Took like a month and a half to get them as he had to order them from the factory first then ship them to me.

The biggest issue I see with them is that they're not designed for skating, so they're lubed with thick grease that's a pain in the ass to get out (the best way I found was to heat them up so it melts a bit and then use 91% iso alcohol to flush out) and they have brass cages. I couldn't find them with nylon/delrin retainers like you see in purpose built skate bearings, although I'm sure they exist... the GMN catalog is like 1000 pages long. Even still, I have some older Pig bearings with metal cages that are faster than any of the German ones I got so I think it's just down to their intended purpose... they're made to stand up to ridiculous forces and speeds, but they're not necessarily made to spin freely and accelerate quickly like a good skate bearing is.

I had SKF on my list and I think I did source them at one point but I'll have to check my bookmarks. Honestly though, for all the trouble and time I went through I don't think it's worth it... a set of swiss 6 or ceramics from any good manufacturer will probably still be better suited for our purposes or the performance gain would be negligible. Hell, the fastest bearings I've had so far have been a set of Flip HKD 7s that cost about $10 or a set of Modus 7's that were about $20. I'd feel much more confident in buying a set of high end modus titanium or ceramics than I would trying to import a bearing that was never really designed to be used for skating. 

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3975 on: January 02, 2020, 07:39:51 PM »
Hockey board I got has this odd indentation/puncture between the truck holes (the warning sticker covered it up). Do you think it might affect the integrity of the board? Or should I just say "eff it" and set it up?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3976 on: January 02, 2020, 07:41:25 PM »
Hockey board I got has this odd indentation/puncture between the truck holes (the warning sticker covered it up). Do you think it might affect the integrity of the board? Or should I just say "eff it" and set it up?

It’s fine. Your going to do worse things while skating it.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3977 on: January 02, 2020, 08:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It’s fine. Your going to do worse things while skating it.

You're right. Gracias.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3978 on: January 03, 2020, 12:28:08 AM »

Got these from a friend for $28, think they are in 5.25, no hollow kingpin or axle.
Aside from the pair I have on my current setup I now have 6 pairs of trucks. Help.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3979 on: January 03, 2020, 03:28:11 AM »

these usually are bbs woodshop no?

PS Sticks pressed FA and hockey do have a laser etching, bbs usually has that puncture, same on bbs pressed BAKER boards

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #3980 on: January 03, 2020, 04:56:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

PS Sticks pressed FA and hockey do have a laser etching, bbs usually has that puncture, same on bbs pressed BAKER boards

Yeah this puncture is something done on purpose by the wood shop and they do it on each other boards it will not affect it in any way.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3981 on: January 03, 2020, 06:17:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah this puncture is something done on purpose by the wood shop and they do it on each other boards it will not affect it in any way.

It's an alignment mark for the truck holes I believe. I have a vague recollection of one of the woodshop owners or employees on here saying something to that effect a while back. I've seen some boards with 3 of them in a row as well.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #3982 on: January 03, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »
Purchased from my local skateshop
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #3983 on: January 03, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's an alignment mark for the truck holes I believe. I have a vague recollection of one of the woodshop owners or employees on here saying something to that effect a while back. I've seen some boards with 3 of them in a row as well.

I heard it was the shape indicator, some have 2 or 3 dots depending on the shape. That could also be wrong
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #3984 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Only ever seen one dot.

Got the Uprise Half-Cabs in white. Wish they would make additional colors and keep it an exclusive for them. Uprise is the the shit!

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3985 on: January 03, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »
Only ever seen one dot.

Got the Uprise Half-Cabs in white. Wish they would make additional colors and keep it an exclusive for them make it a mainstay in the pro classics. Uprise is the the shit!

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #3986 on: January 03, 2020, 04:57:36 PM »

Austin & Rizzo 8.5s

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3987 on: January 03, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s great you found a guy that treats you right.
You’re both very lucky dudes.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3988 on: January 03, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It’s great you found a guy that treats you right.
You’re both very lucky dudes.

How did your partner know to get you a Slave board?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3989 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:01 PM »
Nike Sb team classics but they’re way too snug so back to Nike they go. Same size as blazer lows and even still much too snug