Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118912 times)

QixHexagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #630 on: April 07, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »
I really don't get all the hype around Kader. Of all the footage I've watched, it's just another skater among so many. Sure, he's a million times better than me, but nothing special about it. It's not someone I will immediately click to watch a part - like Gustav, Shane, Louie, Tiago, Miles or Mason.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #631 on: April 07, 2021, 03:47:53 PM »
I really don't get all the hype around Kader. Of all the footage I've watched, it's just another skater among so many. Sure, he's a million times better than me, but nothing special about it. It's not someone I will immediately click to watch a part - like Gustav, Shane, Louie, Tiago, Miles or Mason.

He was a cute kid I think that did a lot for him. I think a lot of older dudes are turned off now that he’s developing his own personality. I’m probably in that boat too. He does rip, but I was more likely to buy his board in 2019 than today. I like his skating, but not as much a fan of him.

For what it’s worth Kader is still pretty much a kid while that’s dudes you mentioned are all pretty seasoned at this point. Louie and Mason in particular I feel are only just in the past 2 or so years getting the credit they deserve. Also, remember when Louie went pro for flip, people hated on him and the “flip kids”

QixHexagon

• Rep: 30
« Reply #632 on: April 07, 2021, 04:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He was a cute kid I think that did a lot for him. I think a lot of older dudes are turned off now that he’s developing his own personality. I’m probably in that boat too. He does rip, but I was more likely to buy his board in 2019 than today. I like his skating, but not as much a fan of him.

For what it’s worth Kader is still pretty much a kid while that’s dudes you mentioned are all pretty seasoned at this point. Louie and Mason in particular I feel are only just in the past 2 or so years getting the credit they deserve. Also, remember when Louie went pro for flip, people hated on him and the “flip kids”

You're absolutely right. I also remember people hating Louie. I think Justin Dollin even made of him because of his long hair.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #633 on: April 07, 2021, 04:09:37 PM »

So what you're saying is, you have a preference of skaters you'd rather watch? I don't think Kader has really been spoken about in the same vain as the others you've mentioned.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #634 on: April 07, 2021, 08:22:27 PM »
Are a lot of girl skaters riding boards too big? We've obviously seen many girl skaters who can skate with big speed and power, but it always looks like some girls could benefit from a smaller board when they're barely landing kickflips. Do they just like skating like that? Are they just not strong enough yet?

Possibly unpopular because sexism, etc.
I noticed the same thing during WBATB.  Might be a shoe size thing for some.  Also some like the idea of having a bigger landing surface but then have boards too wide or long for them to flip easily.

ballintoohard

« Reply #635 on: April 07, 2021, 08:28:47 PM »

60% of my negative rep is from saying the same thing. Kid doesn’t really produce anything but basic skatepark clips.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #636 on: April 08, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
bakers and emericas slow decline went hand in hand with them being less and less punk/hipster and more and more G/Hiphop.i have not forgotten about figgy and his socal stoner hesh peers. but for me they mark the transition.

fashion and style obviously repeats itself and i think now 10 years later its the time the emerica this is skateboarding aestetic would and propably will have a big comeback but they cockblocked themselves now marketingwise.

change my mind.

(disclaimer: i  prefer wider pants, short hair and all that, so i don´t necessarily wish for a comeback of that TiS style even thou i really appreciated it when i was a kid. My stated observations are not correlated to my taste and preferences)

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #637 on: April 08, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

60% of my negative rep is from saying the same thing. Kid doesn’t really produce anything but basic skatepark clips.

The hype is that he's another child prodigy that Baker found. You see companies try to find young rippers that they can help promote the company later on (Example: Louie Lopez, Luan Oliveira, David Gonzalez, Theotis Beasley, etc.). The problem is that it takes awhile for their styles to develop. The thing with Kader is that he's really talented, but I don't think his style has improved that much. My personal opinion anyways.

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #638 on: April 08, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
Tucked in shirts and skateboarding don't mix. Weird to see dudes doing heavy shit while looking like Steve

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #639 on: April 08, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
rollerbladers appear to be coming out of their oyola-era as strong, lean, and loyal as skateboarders were at the time. the average person who rides a skateboard is becoming more kooky, more insecure, and less dedicated . the type of person who would have picked up a skateboard a decade ago may be reaching for rollerblades in a few years and there will be a lot of barely used skateboards wasting away in garages.   i'm not sure where the fault lies but skateboarding became too accessible and not discerning enough. as a result its become bottom dependent and diluted. we are in a bubble. the end of skateboarding's fourth big money phase is on the horizon.

A few days ago at my local park. A dad with his 3 sons show up. All with new setups. The dad used to skate and wanted to teach his sons. My local is kinda small, so I heard most of the conversations. 2 of his sons said, they want scooters (because it is easier and they have a handle) and the 3rd one wants a playstation. ^^

So yeah, skateboarding is very accessible nowadays but not everyone sticks with it. But it's always been that way.
IG: @flowterspace

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #640 on: April 08, 2021, 07:01:50 PM »
wayyy too many skateparks with bowls.

I understand that 98% of the dudes making and designing skateparks are hesh and might ride em...but how about we only focus on street parks for the next few years? I challenge you. there's enough bowls to choose from at this point and things are starting to look a little stale.

while we're at it, lets keep ALL the shrubbery and grass on the outside too ffs.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #641 on: April 08, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »

I understand that 98% of the dudes making and designing skateparks are hesh and might ride em...but how about we only focus on street parks for the next few years? I challenge you. there's enough bowls to choose from at this point and things are starting to look a little stale.

while we're at it, lets keep ALL the shrubbery and grass on the outside too ffs.
A park near me is mostly bowl and I don't go since I'm not a bowl guy.  Needs to be more variety and more spread out.

ProfessionalWheat

• Rep: 1
« Reply #642 on: April 08, 2021, 09:54:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The hype is that he's another child prodigy that Baker found. You see companies try to find young rippers that they can help promote the company later on (Example: Louie Lopez, Luan Oliveira, David Gonzalez, Theotis Beasley, etc.). The problem is that it takes awhile for their styles to develop. The thing with Kader is that he's really talented, but I don't think his style has improved that much. My personal opinion anyways.

Yeah I honestly just like his style, way more than before. He just looks good on a board, even if he does do basic tricks. He’s definitely more of a “tasteful” skater however cliché that sounds.

hartt3

• Rep: 5
« Reply #643 on: April 08, 2021, 10:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Justin Dollin
[close]

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #644 on: April 08, 2021, 11:44:31 PM »
Tucked in shirts and skateboarding don't mix. Weird to see dudes doing heavy shit while looking like Steve

If this dude could kickflip, I could see him on Krooked Frog.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #645 on: April 09, 2021, 07:57:35 AM »
Where I appreciate the skill it takes for Chris Gregson to film people in bowls and on vert, that follow along style ultimately just ends up looking like GoPro selfie-stick footage.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #646 on: April 09, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
rollerbladers appear to be coming out of their oyola-era as strong, lean, and loyal as skateboarders were at the time. the average person who rides a skateboard is becoming more kooky, more insecure, and less dedicated . the type of person who would have picked up a skateboard a decade ago may be reaching for rollerblades in a few years and there will be a lot of barely used skateboards wasting away in garages.   i'm not sure where the fault lies but skateboarding became too accessible and not discerning enough. as a result its become bottom dependent and diluted. we are in a bubble. the end of skateboarding's fourth big money phase is on the horizon.
[close]

A few days ago at my local park. A dad with his 3 sons show up. All with new setups. The dad used to skate and wanted to teach his sons. My local is kinda small, so I heard most of the conversations. 2 of his sons said, they want scooters (because it is easier and they have a handle) and the 3rd one wants a playstation. ^^

So yeah, skateboarding is very accessible nowadays but not everyone sticks with it. But it's always been that way.

its not that skatepark with the dad age i'm as worried about- i think that the purchase and drop off numbers for that age bracket will probably remain consistent.   its the tik-tok and late instagram age brackets.  that crowd is not only artificially inflating numbers but that crowd may be causing kids, who would in normal times would get super into skating, to stay away.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

ballintoohard

« Reply #647 on: April 09, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
the worst thing in any video is someone doing a trick to regular, then to fakie. I forget who did this the most in the 2000's (maybe Getz?) but just pick the harder or better looking one and move on with it. Especially when it's a rail someone is going to 1 up you on anyways no one is gunna care you did a front lip and front lip to fakie. The exception is BA front blunt hubba.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1425
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #648 on: April 09, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

its not that skatepark with the dad age i'm as worried about- i think that the purchase and drop off numbers for that age bracket will probably remain consistent.   its the tik-tok and late instagram age brackets.  that crowd is not only artificially inflating numbers but that crowd may be causing kids, who would in normal times would get super into skating, to stay away.

I think it's ugly and not particularly interesting, but it takes some sack to be a street rollerblader these days. The only dudes I see on skates are dreadie weed heads and they're just into it because they're into it.

I don't know that skateboarding has ever been completely discerning or whatever- like, in my heart, I feel what you're saying because for me and my buddies, skateboarding was an outcast, sorta baby-outlaw way of life- it was a way of life that ran counter to most aspects of jockdom, parents, rules, etc- and when I was a kid in the mid-late 90s, I had a hard time with the kids who were simultaneously baseball players, soccer players, and skated because I couldn't and didn't want to navigate both worlds.

Now, I try not to care who does what. skateboarding is skateboarding for me. I'm almost 36 and have lived numerous lives since I started playing with skateboards. Sometimes its frustrating but it's just skateboarding and I skate where I want, when I want how I want. If someone/thing is bumming me out or getting in my head, I can bounce and do something else. Olympic Skateboarding, Berries, Nike, NB# is all kind of weird and does remove a degree of independent art, but really it doesn't effect what I do on a skateboard and in the long run, the people who might not pick up a sled because it's different than it was when you or I started skated, chances are they'll figure it out. Maybe not, and that's a bummer, but trying to decide what's what in skateboarding is too tiresome
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #649 on: April 09, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think it's ugly and not particularly interesting, but it takes some sack to be a street rollerblader these days. The only dudes I see on skates are dreadie weed heads and they're just into it because they're into it.

I don't know that skateboarding has ever been completely discerning or whatever- like, in my heart, I feel what you're saying because for me and my buddies, skateboarding was an outcast, sorta baby-outlaw way of life- it was a way of life that ran counter to most aspects of jockdom, parents, rules, etc- and when I was a kid in the mid-late 90s, I had a hard time with the kids who were simultaneously baseball players, soccer players, and skated because I couldn't and didn't want to navigate both worlds.

imagine today you were in the same place as you were when you picked up a skateboard- and all those kids you were trying to avoid were all showing up to the skatepark wearing replica Nike Olympic uniforms, taking videos of their kickflips to flex on social media, and having their parents come watch them skate like they were at a soccer game --  would you skateboard or would you walk over to those dreadie weed heads in the street being rebels and having fun for the sake of having fun doing their own thing? this is my issue.  skateboarding may gain mass at the bottom but lose kids like you who stuck with it forever through thick and thin.

i guess what im saying is we all need to go andy roy hellride to save skateboarding.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #650 on: April 09, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
A park near me is mostly bowl and I don't go since I'm not a bowl guy.  Needs to be more variety and more spread out.

I'm more of a transition guy myself, but I don't understand how skateparks don't at least have one clean ledge with a run-up in both directions. It's insane how rare it is to have one that's not an ordeal to skate(i.e. have to ollie up a curb or onto a platform to get to, deal with a drop coming out, or dodge traffic because the ledge sits in the one tiny runway kids use to get from one side of the park to another)

The reason the park is built is to keep kids from skating private property around town. What's the one object around cities that actually, genuinely gets damaged due to skaters? Ledges.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #651 on: April 09, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I'm more of a transition guy myself, but I don't understand how skateparks don't at least have one clean ledge with a run-up in both directions. It's insane how rare it is to have one that's not an ordeal to skate(i.e. have to ollie up a curb or onto a platform to get to, deal with a drop coming out, or dodge traffic because the ledge sits in the one tiny runway kids use to get from one side of the park to another)

The reason the park is built is to keep kids from skating private property around town. What's the one object around cities that actually, genuinely gets damaged due to skaters? Ledges.

That's why I prefer street skating, street ledges are better than any skatepark ledge no matter how crusty they are

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2253
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #652 on: April 09, 2021, 12:30:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

imagine today you were in the same place as you were when you picked up a skateboard- and all those kids you were trying to avoid were all showing up to the skatepark wearing replica Nike Olympic uniforms, taking videos of their kickflips to flex on social media, and having their parents come watch them skate like they were at a soccer game --  would you skateboard or would you walk over to those dreadie weed heads in the street being rebels and having fun for the sake of having fun doing their own thing? this is my issue.  skateboarding may gain mass at the bottom but lose kids like you who stuck with it forever through thick and thin.

i guess what im saying is we all need to go andy roy hellride to save skateboarding.
Well... THAT’s all the justification I need to go ahead & shit-pile out like a dairy farm dung heap.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #653 on: April 09, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I dunno, almost seems like there might be some kind of secret agenda to keep street skating alive by not putting good ledges in parks.  The fact that most ledges that are actually skate stopped have the kind of stoppers that are really easily removed even backs this up.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #654 on: April 09, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I dunno, almost seems like there might be some kind of secret agenda to keep street skating alive by not putting good ledges in parks.  The fact that most ledges that are actually skate stopped have the kind of stoppers that are really easily removed even backs this up.

It's probably the lobbyists at Big-Skatestopper in the pockets of local Municpal Decision Makers trying to stop the building of ledges in skateparks so that they will want to skate street and create a need for businesses to skate stop the ledges.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: April 09, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

of course there's going to be people who drop off. I thought all my homies were ride or die, hell ride, thick and thin, whatever, but then they grew up and got involved in other stuff. Look, I see the changes and the obnoxious shit, and it's easy to get bummed out on it. I watch videos of dudes shredding and wearing Nike shoes and say to myself "damn. why are you giving them clout?" but then remember they're trying to make some dough and the most I can do is stay true to myself. can't force that on anyone. What are we supposed to do? Go around and focus Olympic wanna be kids decks and throw their phones into sewer grates? Are we supposed to be super harsh toward them so that they leave and the misfit kids have a place? I really don't know, man. When shit gets too real or I'm getting too intense in my head at the spot, I leave to skate somewhere else. I'm skating again at 35 and it's pretty frickin incredible. there's ups and downs, but it's the fountain of youth. My days of trying to fight people or ideologies that aren't overtly violent are done. Only thing we can do is teach the youth, the next generation, what's up. I'm still grateful for the elders who taught me when I was a grom. one.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #656 on: April 09, 2021, 03:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

of course there's going to be people who drop off. I thought all my homies were ride or die, hell ride, thick and thin, whatever, but then they grew up and got involved in other stuff. Look, I see the changes and the obnoxious shit, and it's easy to get bummed out on it. I watch videos of dudes shredding and wearing Nike shoes and say to myself "damn. why are you giving them clout?" but then remember they're trying to make some dough and the most I can do is stay true to myself. can't force that on anyone. What are we supposed to do? Go around and focus Olympic wanna be kids decks and throw their phones into sewer grates? Are we supposed to be super harsh toward them so that they leave and the misfit kids have a place? I really don't know, man. When shit gets too real or I'm getting too intense in my head at the spot, I leave to skate somewhere else. I'm skating again at 35 and it's pretty frickin incredible. there's ups and downs, but it's the fountain of youth. My days of trying to fight people or ideologies that aren't overtly violent are done. Only thing we can do is teach the youth, the next generation, what's up. I'm still grateful for the elders who taught me when I was a grom. one.

I started 2003 and it isn't the same nowadays. But there are so many different cultures even in skating itself which is kinda rad and kinda confusing. But real always recognizes real. That's why we like certain things and why we hate other things. And at least, there is always a parking lot somewhere that's waiting for you.
You rarely meet olympicians at street spots ya know.
IG: @flowterspace

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: April 09, 2021, 04:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I started 2003 and it isn't the same nowadays. But there are so many different cultures even in skating itself which is kinda rad and kinda confusing. But real always recognizes real. That's why we like certain things and why we hate other things. And at least, there is always a parking lot somewhere that's waiting for you.
You rarely meet olympicians at street spots ya know.

I had sooo much fun in 2003. turned 18 and graduated high school. moved away for the first time and moved right back lol but skating was still a thing where, for the most part, you could look at someones shoes and know that they skated and if they skated, y'all were going to be friends. I don't know that that's the case all the time anymore but the world, not just skateboarding, is an incredibly different place, operating at vastly faster rates of speed that leave us hanging on by a thread. Shit's weird sometimes

manysnakes

« Reply #658 on: April 09, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
You're free to be as wistful and nostalgic as you like, but skating will never be the same as it was when you were a kid, no matter when it was. You didn't live through any kind of "golden era", it was only the golden to you and your friends because you were young and free of responsibilities, lower back pain and ankles rolled too many times. We are individually powerless to determine who is permitted to skateboard and under what conditions, and if you had that power, how justly would you exercise it, anyway? Who would have used that power to keep you from skateboarding when you were a snot-nosed grom, skating the "wrong" way, snaking all the more experienced skaters?

Sports come and go from the Olympics, and one day, skateboarding will be gone, too. You can't control any of this, you can only control how you react to it, and I hope we all agree that we should avoid becoming reactionaries.

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #659 on: April 09, 2021, 04:28:54 PM »
Who would have used that power to keep you from skateboarding when you were a snot-nosed grom, skating the "wrong" way, snaking all the more experienced skaters.

Jake Phelps, but he wouldn’t bring tissues, a directional sign, or anti-venom.