Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118290 times)

EXTRA SPICY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
2021 unpopular opinion thread
« on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:01 PM »
A day late.
Let's Go!

We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

dannyprovolone

Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 01:09:38 PM »
pushing full speed after you land your trick looks horrible. please stop it.

Leyzee Emcea

• Rep: -8
  • Achilles Tendonion Rings Jr
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
Dime is contrived like a half funny joke that a 11 y-o would shout before looking around if anybody's laughing along. Alltimers is that kid selling mp3's of that same joke on blank cd's bought with christmas money.

Entitlement is to skateboarders what cocaine is to glam rock, never enough ::). If I want to see someone's footage, its their call. I'll be there to watch it when they choose to put something out. Same for board shapes or shoe silos.

Super 8 fillers are NOT what will make an edit special or memorable (but a few have truly mastered its secrets tbh).

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 04:35:30 PM »
Dime is contrived like a half funny joke that a 11 y-o would shout before looking around if anybody's laughing along. Alltimers is that kid selling mp3's of that same joke on blank cd's bought with christmas money.

Entitlement is to skateboarders what cocaine is to glam rock, never enough ::). If I want to see someone's footage, its their call. I'll be there to watch it when they choose to put something out. Same for board shapes or shoe silos.

Super 8 fillers are NOT what will make an edit special or memorable (but a few have truly mastered its secrets tbh).

Who have mastered the super 8 fillers? Alien Workshop videos? I know nothing about cameras, filming, etc, and barely ever got filmed skating.

Dustin Dollin's commitment to his alcoholic Piss Drunx image ended up being pretty admirable because he pulled it off while still keeping an active career, having a lot of really good parts, memorable style, trick selection, etc. He's like a machine that just kept going. He just remembered to show up on time for flights and trips and everything.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »
Johnny laytons “berrics” part is better than a LOT of the parts in Propeller, and he should have had a part and dollin/Rowley should not have had any parts

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 07:50:09 PM »
Cariuma's themselves look cool, the marketing is a bit weird but I like the way the shoe looks (yes, even with the logo)

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 07:58:55 PM »

congratulations, this is unpopular

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 10:46:08 PM »
Ventura is the new LA...

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 12:29:39 AM »
Dime and Alltimers are over rated, regardless of who they have riding for them. I will almost never buy anything made by either brand. However, Dime Glory Challenge was sick!

Fallen and Zero are relevant and actually doing well. I think they can and will come back to have a stronger resurgence this year since Cole rejoined and their AM riders are stepping it up.
Super Champion Fun Zone

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 01:12:33 AM »
Johnny laytons “berrics” part is better than a LOT of the parts in Propeller, and he should have had a part and dollin/Rowley should not have had any parts
is this unpopular? at least for the first half, i think it’s kind of undeniable layton had an exceptional part that outshined his more marketable older contemporaries and younger replacements. he was just a buck short and toy machine cashed his check for him. can’t think of a brand that’s blown it harder than toy in the last decade.

board parasite

• Rep: -6
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 03:36:03 AM »
Shotgunning a beer or smoking weed is terrible B roll

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 04:24:20 AM »
Eli Reed in Jamaica is the raddest thing skateboarding has seen in a long time

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 05:18:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
is this unpopular? at least for the first half, i think it’s kind of undeniable layton had an exceptional part that outshined his more marketable older contemporaries and younger replacements. he was just a buck short and toy machine cashed his check for him. can’t think of a brand that’s blown it harder than toy in the last decade.

Not getting the 2021 part of this conversation.

Panettone

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 05:32:09 AM »
Shotgunning a beer or smoking weed is terrible B roll

Yes

That and homeless shots

wil540

• Rep: -13
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 07:38:16 AM »
We will see a female Skater Of The Year before 2030.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 08:02:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know a handful of people who will land tricks, ride away a few feet while freezing their body in the position they landed and then step off their board in triumph and almost every time I see that, it crosses my mind at how much better it would look if they had pushed away.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 09:29:48 AM »
Jimmy Buffett rules.

Panettone

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 09:37:36 AM »
We will see a female Skater Of The Year before 2030.

Hopefully

I would've called that a popular opinion on here?

I could see Sablone taking it.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
Instagram is good for the progression of skating but bad for its longevity.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
Jimmy Buffett rules.

one time i had a dream where i was struck in the head with a metal bat and woke up with cheeseburger in paradise stuck in my head

dannyprovolone

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 10:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I know a handful of people who will land tricks, ride away a few feet while freezing their body in the position they landed and then step off their board in triumph and almost every time I see that, it crosses my mind at how much better it would look if they had pushed away.

watch the elyjah part for some good examples

is like the 2021 version of the self-cheer

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 10:27:34 AM »
Good "trick selection" is for the most part an empty concept to give skaters kudos for. Skaters don't select the trick so much as the trick selects the skater. Pros are pros because they figured out the handful of tricks they do well and ignored the ones they don't.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »
You can still choose whether to put your time into learning nice back tailslides or kickflip body varials though
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 11:10:19 AM »
Good "trick selection" is for the most part an empty concept to give skaters kudos for. Skaters don't select the trick so much as the trick selects the skater. Pros are pros because they figured out the handful of tricks they do well and ignored the ones they don't.

Good post for this thread. While I think what you're saying applies to some folks like Andrew Reynolds and Jamie Foy who basically has a go-to trick that he tries on bigger and bigger spots. I tend to appreciate more the guys/girls who appeared to put some thought into what trick they chose to film at a spot and didn't revert to what is the hardest NBD they could come up with, but also didn't do what could be considered a 'circus trick.' Rather, the found what trick looked the best at the specific spot.

To me, Brian Anderson's fakie varial kickflip in Yeah Right was a good example of this. It wasn't the most technically difficult trick at a spot that was skated about a dozen times in the video, but BA's stood out more than others.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »
It's ok to enjoy other sports besides skateboarding, I been wearing Jordans & playing basketball regularly just a little before the lockdown, after we were confined at home, I played a lot of basketball on the hoop I got and...guess what ? I received a lot of weird vibes for that.

On the other hand, I bought a Baker board just before this craziness started, and I didn't touch it for months, somehow I started to roll again, we cleaned a spot the other day and I was meditating how my board was all scratch already even if I didn't notice, I skated a lot too, just within months of each session, a good grind is always a beautiful feeling. I skate in Vans or Emericas too, so the whole Jordan thing is outside skateboarding, skating on Jordans is too trendy for me because I'm wearing them not skating so definitely I would look like a trend wagon dude and that's a bad look on your 30s. Definitely.

Just to finish my point, as I told someone that know me from years, I'm always wearing some baseball hat & stuff like that, I like other sports too, so my two cents on the topic.

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good post for this thread. While I think what you're saying applies to some folks like Andrew Reynolds and Jamie Foy who basically has a go-to trick that he tries on bigger and bigger spots. I tend to appreciate more the guys/girls who appeared to put some thought into what trick they chose to film at a spot and didn't revert to what is the hardest NBD they could come up with, but also didn't do what could be considered a 'circus trick.' Rather, the found what trick looked the best at the specific spot.

To me, Brian Anderson's fakie varial kickflip in Yeah Right was a good example of this. It wasn't the most technically difficult trick at a spot that was skated about a dozen times in the video, but BA's stood out more than others.

I really like the BA example in part because I would site Biebel's nollie tre down belmont (same video, also last trick, probably same session) as an example of poor trick selection.

When I think of trick selection in its purest sense I think of playing THPS on free skate mode back in the day, where I have the ability to do anything but would choose to do the tricks that I thought were cool and realistic.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 01:26:30 PM »
that nollie tre must've been one of the biggest done at the time. popped and caught nicely too. Don't see how that's bad trick selection. I like a nollie tre though which I know some don't
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 02:04:38 PM »
that nollie tre must've been one of the biggest done at the time. popped and caught nicely too. Don't see how that's bad trick selection. I like a nollie tre though which I know some don't

Yeah it's personal. I had this really obnoxious friend where that was his go-to trick. He would maybe ollie whatever it was then immediately start hucking nollie tres. One of those guys.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 04:53:44 PM »
Snowboarding seems cool
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 05:07:26 PM »
Tony Hawk will do the Loop on shrooms for a Honda commercial that will air mid March.