Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118780 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1148
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #780 on: May 13, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
outdoor coronavirus transmission is literally irrelevant
[close]
[close]

unless you're in a stadium full of people yelling, you should be good.

It's places that are indoor w lots of people breathing talking and moving thats the worst from what i've read.
They tried to open up a spin cycle class somewhere and everyone got covid, which makes sense with a room packed w people exhaling strenuously.

Sounds like my honeymoon!
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

alex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #781 on: May 13, 2021, 09:45:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
JayZ>Nas both at the time and definitely now because Ether aged terribly
[close]

Agreed but Jay’s persona has aged horribly and now comes off like a 60 year old neuvau riche phony who thinks he’s Basquiat, but looks more like someone who wakes up in the subway and starts singing Otis Redding songs. Although his catalogue shits on Nas, Jay fizzled out like a fart when he started to become Mr. Knowles. I’d pick Cam over both (pause)
[close]

It’s always dipset over everything. Love this take.
[close]

I saw dipset in 2003 right when Diplomatic Immunity came out. They came to my small upstate NY college in "their window". I unfortunately drank too much to remember a lot but one thing I do vividly remember is an entire stage full of diplomats giving the "Bout it Bout it" shout outs for a good 10 minutes. It was awesome.

That sounds so awesome. I saw dipset at BB Kings on a weeknight in times square a few years ago and it was pretty rough. Club said doors at 7, didn't open until 10 then we had to sit through troy ave and some other weak ass openers. Dipset came on at like midnight I think and basically did 2 songs together followed by everyone doing their own solo verses from features. When Cam came on he basically said "i don't know who the fuck all these people on stage are but if they're not off in 30 seconds the shows over." Entire basement club filled with cigarette and blunt smoke, sounded terrible but I'd do it all again for dipset n/h.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #782 on: May 13, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Kook-shaming culture is rooted in dated, puritanical WASP values that place too much stock on humility and aesthetic conservatism. Why is it such a big deal to use colored griptape, smile after landing a trick or wear anything other than a plain shirt and dickies?
[close]

I disagree I think kook shaming is rooted in white protestant but non-WASP culture like Germans and Scandinavians

the WASPs were always ok with a bit of flair

Yes, truly Calvinist in nature.

Not making a value judgement on kook-shaming, but you are correct.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #783 on: May 14, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
I'm here for Calvinism vs. Puritanism re: its effect on skateboarding culture.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #784 on: May 17, 2021, 07:11:44 AM »
I don’t enjoy watching Gilbert Crocket, he is very good and doing some crazy tricks and I can see that, but I don’t like the way he dresses or his style

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #785 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »
Jerry hsu rips, but his style is one of the worst in skateboard ever. Man, that glued legs.

chrisskates808

« Reply #786 on: May 17, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »
I've never liked any form of tech skating, I'm not saying I don't respect people like Rodney Mullen (completely innovating tricks) or Shane O'Neil... I just think its really boring to watch.

Watching someone flip in or flip out...or shuv in and shuv out doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me.

I always like people who skate fast and powerful: Jeremy Wray, Cardiel, Barley, Westgate, Mason Silva....these dudes fit the mold.

Much rather watch Peacock over Shane

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #787 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:17 PM »
the bussupbussup instagram page is wildly unfunny and anyone who says that shit in real life annoys me to no end

i’ll give it credit tho it was funny for a very short amount of time now it’s just trying too hard

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #788 on: May 18, 2021, 10:24:40 AM »
Kick everyone off of Alien Workshop and put Harmony on, give me the camera. We will get this shit done quick and get them back on track.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #789 on: May 18, 2021, 10:33:40 AM »
Kick everyone off of Alien Workshop and put Harmony on, give me the camera. We will get this shit done quick and get them back on track.
Harmony as in... JOSH HARMONY??!!

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
The main character in North Hollywood looked better after Vince Vaughn shaved his head

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »
I love the idea of the foundation, but after Cons horribly stupid “skateboarding is the best thing for your mental health” IG post today, is “SMILE” really the best logo to be had for a charity that deals with depression.   I’m someone who struggles with it and saying “smile” is like telling someone to cheer up as if it’s a personal fucking choice.    I get that it a a tribute to Ben, but I doesn’t feel appropriate to use in tandem

Argh.  Didn’t want to make a whole topic out of this because I’ve been a little combative lately on here cause I’m in a bit of a down period, but I was curious what other poster’s readings of it. 

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #792 on: May 18, 2021, 07:23:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What other harmony is there? You butthole.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They meant Harmony Corrine. Gonna be another Kids type video
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2021, 10:57:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

harmony korine. the skate filmmaker guy who made macho taildrop and buffalo 66. if anyone could turn Alien around it would be him

Vincent Gallo made Buffalo 66
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #795 on: May 19, 2021, 05:06:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

harmony korine. the skate filmmaker guy who made macho taildrop and buffalo 66. if anyone could turn Alien around it would be him

harmony korine made 0 of those films

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #796 on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
nick cave sucks
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #797 on: June 17, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »
nick cave sucks

Mods please ban this user
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • old and in the way
« Reply #798 on: June 17, 2021, 06:58:36 PM »
I love the idea of the foundation, but after Cons horribly stupid “skateboarding is the best thing for your mental health” IG post today, is “SMILE” really the best logo to be had for a charity that deals with depression.   I’m someone who struggles with it and saying “smile” is like telling someone to cheer up as if it’s a personal fucking choice.    I get that it a a tribute to Ben, but I doesn’t feel appropriate to use in tandem

Argh.  Didn’t want to make a whole topic out of this because I’ve been a little combative lately on here cause I’m in a bit of a down period, but I was curious what other poster’s readings of it.

@Atiba Applebum I can definitely see / respect your perspective. Like a lot of people wear a smile and suffer so much behind it-pretending that they're ok when they are anything but. I'm not certain of why they chose Smile for the name because I don't know too much at all about the foundation but I will say that I think it's rad that at least the dialogue of mental health is being introduced into skateboarding. It is long overdue.

Ok my unpopular opinion:
I like Nick Cave the musician but I fucking LOOOOOVE Nick Cave the visual artist <3

https://art21.org/artist/nick-cave/

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #799 on: June 17, 2021, 07:06:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@Atiba Applebum I can definitely see / respect your perspective. Like a lot of people wear a smile and suffer so much behind it-pretending that they're ok when they are anything but. I'm not certain of why they chose Smile for the name because I don't know too much at all about the foundation but I will say that I think it's rad that at least the dialogue of mental health is being introduced into skateboarding. It is long overdue.

Ok my unpopular opinion:
I like Nick Cave the musician but I fucking LOOOOOVE Nick Cave the visual artist <3

https://art21.org/artist/nick-cave/

Totally agree with the need for transparency about actual mental health issues.   My only concern is that many in skateboarding aren’t really equipped to talk/dispense advice on the issue and I am wary of bad advice getting out there to impressionable kids.   Cons IG week was filled with laughable quotes from riders (one or two were actually on point) that seem to equate depression with being sad or a mood, which is why “smile” kind of irks me as someone who suffers and masks that suffering quite often.   

I think Smile was chosen because it was a tattoo Ben Raemers had.   It’s good to honor him of course, but I think one of the things that was so shocking about it all was that he seemed outwardly so happy and carefree

cky enthusiast

« Reply #800 on: June 17, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »
nick caves solo stuff is the least good of his projects

i’m the biggest birthday party fan in the world tho

sketchyrider

« Reply #801 on: June 19, 2021, 05:09:51 PM »
Bucket hats look good on literally no one. Nobody, period

i always thought that was the point

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #802 on: June 19, 2021, 09:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Bucket hats look good on literally no one. Nobody, period
[close]

it looked great on Gilligan

And Sen Dog from Cypress Hill.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #803 on: June 25, 2021, 04:18:00 PM »
at this point i cant imagine skating anything other than a blank. shape or not and its not like id pay pro model prices due to that alone. im over all the worship. a free video comes and goes every week. then every other week some legends outed as a bag of shit. just trying to have fun in my own little world or some shit for the most part with as little involvement as possible. apart from slap hah

pro model shoes too. i dont f with malls but discount warehouse stores all day

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #804 on: June 25, 2021, 07:50:55 PM »
Kook-shaming culture is rooted in dated, puritanical WASP values that place too much stock on humility and aesthetic conservatism. Why is it such a big deal when other people use colored griptape, smile after landing a trick or wear anything other than a plain shirt and dickies?

Being a little cocky and flashy is normal where I’m from so I’ve never understood that mindset.

Let the kooks skate, I say. Who cares anymore. If they bother you, it's because you let them bother you.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

nolliecrooked

• Rep: -23
« Reply #805 on: June 26, 2021, 04:53:28 AM »
yuto has fake steeze

hipsters get so mad when I say it, idk why

2021 kids protecting and getting mad about a contest skater, skateboarding changed so much hahahaha

yuto the new ronson lambert

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #806 on: June 26, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Kook-shaming culture is rooted in dated, puritanical WASP values that place too much stock on humility and aesthetic conservatism. Why is it such a big deal when other people use colored griptape, smile after landing a trick or wear anything other than a plain shirt and dickies?

Being a little cocky and flashy is normal where I’m from so I’ve never understood that mindset.
[close]

Let the kooks skate, I say. Who cares anymore. If they bother you, it's because you let them bother you.

Avoiding going to skate parks at all costs. Unpopular opinion/ I’m spoiled and surrounded by spots. Less kooks less concerns.
If someone wants to shit push a longboard and give me a head nod acknowledgment while throwing out the Shaka I could give a quarter of shit at this point.

Keep on trucking weirdos of the wooden ply world.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #807 on: June 26, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »
All the doctors worldwide are deeply connected to the shoe business, to make sure there aren't too many high top shoes that protect ankles.
If you roll your ankle, they prescribe you a ankle brace and some pills and get some money from the pharma industry and Mister Aircast, the inventor of ankle braces.
IG: @flowterspace

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #808 on: June 27, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »
^i have a doctor in my extended family hes a piece of shit. once he was cooking steak with a timing app smh. weak stuff. never trusted him after that

social media is a dualedged sword. in a way im almost glad it ruined skateboarding. the sheer overflow of famous new and old heads kooking themselves on the regular is asinine and entertaining. wont say nothings sacred but titleships and legendary stats in skating mean nothing to me. cant count the amount of dudes i used to look up to as a kid that i wouldnt bother giving the time of day in person. dont understand wanting to hold onto the illusion of the past. apart from the genuinely wholesome parts of course whatever that entails. i hate most new things too though

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #809 on: June 27, 2021, 07:24:56 PM »
^i have a doctor in my extended family hes a piece of shit. once he was cooking steak with a timing app smh. weak stuff. never trusted him after that

social media is a dualedged sword. in a way im almost glad it ruined skateboarding. the sheer overflow of famous new and old heads kooking themselves on the regular is asinine and entertaining. wont say nothings sacred but titleships and legendary stats in skating mean nothing to me. cant count the amount of dudes i used to look up to as a kid that i wouldnt bother giving the time of day in person. dont understand wanting to hold onto the illusion of the past. apart from the genuinely wholesome parts of course whatever that entails. i hate most new things too though

We can thank social media for this. This is skateboarding!

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead