Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 104974 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Curious what light setups y'all use with your VX? There's one I commonly see, but not sure what it is exactly... it's like a skinny shoe-mount light with two bulbs stacked vertically. Anyone know what that is?
that ones the sony 10/20. its old, so dim and leaves a weird pattern on the footage. i can find some examples if u want to see what i mean.

i would go with either a tungsten balanced led or a bi-color led light so you can make it warmer. easier on the skaters eyes and you can match the color to street lights. no point in going with real tungsten bulbs unless you want to carry a battery bag on your hip with a cord.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Curious what light setups y'all use with your VX? There's one I commonly see, but not sure what it is exactly... it's like a skinny shoe-mount light with two bulbs stacked vertically. Anyone know what that is?

I just got a Newer or w/e it's called 160 LED light. Takes VX1 batteries.

Don't film VX anymore but still use it as it's fooking tidy, like. But when I did, it was well, fooking tidy like.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't film VX anymore but still use it as it's fooking tidy, like. But when I did, it was well, fooking tidy like.
that neweer is green and cold. needs a correction gel at least. buy nice or buy twice
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
that neweer is green and cold. needs a correction gel at least. buy nice or buy twice

I got a white filter over mine that came with it, has no problem whatsoever with any particular hues of green or anything.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I got a white filter over mine that came with it, has no problem whatsoever with any particular hues of green or anything.
you can technically correct for it in white balance, but then the street lamps turn blood red. or save 50$ dollars and get the bicolor and save yourself the headache. just trust
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
you can technically correct for it in white balance, but then the street lamps turn blood red. or save 50$ dollars and get the bicolor and save yourself the headache. just trust

Are we talking about the same light here or some weird, new iteration of the model? I never had any of these type of colour issues and I filmed a whole full length video with this light on the VX (mainly film at night, so having a good light is important obviously). If anything I just simply adjusted the colour shift in the CP if I felt it got too 'orange' or 'yellowy' which you get with filming VX at night with any light if it's set too high, but never really had anything glaringly offensive. I had an off brand 140 LED that was the same, too. Albeit not as bright at this one.

Same goes for my new camera (Canon XF100) - never really had any problems where it looked odd.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
yeah maybe the cheapies are decent these days. i just have very specific wants for a light imo and thought id save them the hassle of buying something else down the line. fuck it, black and white night footage lol. could be how diff cameras colors too. but having at least control of cool to warm is a nice to have no matter the situation. rgb lights not as needed.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
yeah maybe the cheapies are decent these days. i just have very specific wants for a light imo and thought id save them the hassle of buying something else down the line. fuck it, black and white night footage lol. could be how diff cameras colors too. but having at least control of cool to warm is a nice to have no matter the situation. rgb lights not as needed.

Ah nah I hear you, it just made me think as I never had any issues with my light and it's done me good for a long time. The 140 LED before was the same and that lasted nearly 10 years (honestly gutted I couldn't find the same one, as it's smaller and much more lightweight than the 160 I got).

I do believe in what you're saying though, it's always good to pay a lot for something tech related as most of the time it will serve you good for a long time. Buy cheap, buy twice is the saying with my lot.

Yeah definitely, my first VX1 was NTSC and I swear the shit was foggy compared to my PAL, but that was properly down to age and maybe a foggy lens, so it never looked as good as my last VX1 for colours.

At least I know of more options for lights for next time.

linty

• Rep: 37
How does one keep a Tadashi filter unscratched when they seem to get scuffed by simply being stored securely in a backpack?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
How does one keep a Tadashi filter unscratched when they seem to get scuffed by simply being stored securely in a backpack?

I get the same gripe, it's mostly a case of using a lens blower and just making sure to do so before gently wiping it.

I get more grief with scratches now using it with my Mk1 on an XF100, but it's just a case of making sure you're keeping dust off it regularly.

linty

Expand Quote
[close]

I get the same gripe, it's mostly a case of using a lens blower and just making sure to do so before gently wiping it.

I get more grief with scratches now using it with my Mk1 on an XF100, but it's just a case of making sure you're keeping dust off it regularly.

I used mine for a month and it's visibly scratched already. I've only sprayed it before every 2-3 days of use with an antistatic cleaning solution and wiping it with the least coarse microfiber cloth I could find. Feels like there's a new scratch every time you take it out of the pouch. Also broke both rubber bands already so have to sort that out, too.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Haven't touched my VX in a couple months. Just brought it out for the first time and straight out of the bag it started having an unusual issue: the camera is very slowly zooming-in without me touching the zoom controls or anything else on the camera. It will zoom-in a small amount, then stop, then zoom-in some more, then stop, and repeat this process until it's fully zoomed-in.

Never heard of this before. Anyone here have a guess?

PaulYoung

• Rep: 20
  • Hit You Off Management
Haven't touched my VX in a couple months. Just brought it out for the first time and straight out of the bag it started having an unusual issue: the camera is very slowly zooming-in without me touching the zoom controls or anything else on the camera. It will zoom-in a small amount, then stop, then zoom-in some more, then stop, and repeat this process until it's fully zoomed-in.

I’ve had this happen a couple times over the years. Just use it for a few days, it’ll either go away or the zoom button is about to break. Easy to fix if it does.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 07:12:54 AM by PaulYoung »

linty

This is a new one for me:

Been getting these glitches lately. Hard to notice them on the spot because they only show up when you playback the footage.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image

Been getting these glitches lately. Hard to notice them on the spot because they only show up when you playback the footage.

Does it show up after you captured the clip?

linty

Expand Quote

[close]

Does it show up after you captured the clip?
Yup.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Figured I'd provide an update in case anyone else experiences similar issues in the future. Soon after writing this, the camera began zooming-in on its own more quickly and what really tripped me out was the camera began recording on it's own without me pressing any buttons.

Turns out I needed to get the zoom/standby assembly replaced, which also includes the control for record start/stop.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #978 on: September 22, 2023, 10:19:39 AM »
Has somebody tried one of these? Could I use my laptop for capturing with this box?
id just find a cheap mini dv cam from facebook marketplace or ebay
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #979 on: September 23, 2023, 03:33:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Has somebody tried one of these? Could I use my laptop for capturing with this box?
[close]

Yeah that was not the point i got old camera for capturing. Was just asking that for capturing To laptop because I really dont know how To capture To New laptop because it doesnt have a card slot or anything..
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #980 on: September 23, 2023, 10:04:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah that was not the point i got old camera for capturing. Was just asking that for capturing To laptop because I really dont know how To capture To New laptop because it doesnt have a card slot or anything..
what laptop? if you have a macbook youll have to get a dv to firewire -> firewire 800 to thunderbolt 2 -> thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 lol

anything usb will degrade the quality
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #981 on: September 23, 2023, 10:06:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
what laptop? if you have a macbook youll have to get a dv to firewire -> firewire 800 to thunderbolt 2 -> thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 lol

you could prob get an ancient mac with a firewire 800 port on it just for capturing for not much too.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #982 on: September 23, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

you could prob get an ancient mac with a firewire 800 port on it just for capturing for not much too. as new as a macbook pro 2011
[close]
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #983 on: September 23, 2023, 10:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

you could prob get an ancient mac with a firewire 800 port on it just for capturing for not much too. as new as a macbook pro 2011
[close]
[close]

No Mac, PC.

And I got an old computer for capturing, I would just like To get rid of it because the space it takes 😄
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #984 on: September 24, 2023, 09:39:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

No Mac, PC.

And I got an old computer for capturing, I would just like To get rid of it because the space it takes 😄
yeah for pc its just old laptops or if you have a tower installing a firewire 800 card into a pcie slot
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #986 on: December 04, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »
Does anyone know if it’s possible to “re-build” or fix the entirety of the front VAP unit if the picture is cloudy and the vig is completely misaligned?

TomCruz

• Rep: 4
« Reply #987 on: December 05, 2023, 10:31:02 PM »
Does anyone know if it’s possible to “re-build” or fix the entirety of the front VAP unit if the picture is cloudy and the vig is completely misaligned?

I have taken countless apart and it my least fav to do on a vx1.  I have seen allot of the japan models with blurry lenses.  The inner glass is always crystalized and I have not been able to clean it no matter how hard I tried.  I have however replaced the inner glass with another that was good.  If you have never taken apart a vap before it's a difficult job.  Not only taking it all apart but also rebuilding it.  My best suggestion is find a broken vx1 with a good vap and replace it into yours. 

35mm

• Rep: 29
« Reply #988 on: December 10, 2023, 11:13:44 AM »
Does anyone know or have any theory on how the uneven fisheye vig with the vx1000 (and other cameras for that matter) is caused? I would expect that the fisheye/lens/3ccd prism/sensors optical axis to be in line.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #989 on: December 18, 2023, 09:16:17 AM »
Does anyone know or have any theory on how the uneven fisheye vig with the vx1000 (and other cameras for that matter) is caused? I would expect that the fisheye/lens/3ccd prism/sensors optical axis to be in line.
since the sensors are so small, if its off by less than a millimeter itll change it. they weren't built with fisheye vig to show up in mind so theyre all up to code in terms of sony or others minds
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans