Author Topic: Bones X-Formula will be 97a and released Spring 2023  (Read 21246 times)

boneless900

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Bones X-Formula will be 97a and released Spring 2023
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2023, 06:02:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so whats the verdict on x97 vs x99
especially if you are familiar with f4 99a
[close]

x99>x97/spit 99a (for me)

x99 literally work everywhere spit 99s do with no downsides, and everywhere they don't.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should probably post this straight to the Buyers' remorse thread, but anyway, tried the X97s on for the first time today, on rough asphalt and shitty, worn concrete. Boy, they pretty much felt like shit. They felt slow with no really noticeable improvement on crust handling compared to "normal" hard wheels (eg. F4 99). Powerslide was ok, but having said that, Dragons slide much better on rough asphalt.

As per rough terrain in general, gonna go back to Dragons instantly. To summarize, sadly I don't see any use for the X97s really – F4 99s will probably work just as good or even better if the ground isn't SUPER crusty.
[close]

Not trying to be contrarian or anything, your opinion is totally valid, but I've gotta say that it definitely doesn't match mine.
[close]

Nor mine, that post is straight BS, especially given his dragons experience.

To say the x97s don't handle crust better than spit 99s...or ANY 99s other than the x99 is complete and utter, uneducated BS'.

The amount of speed you lose on 99s, ANY 99s, on real crust, compared to the 97s is crazy.

Anyone that's ridden them on real crust will tell you this...if you don't think they worked better you really weren't skating crust, son.

Honestly, I don't think people understand the dragons/x97s at all, you don't buy them to ride them where you can easily ride a regular fucking 99 or 101, that includes park...they are not some magical wheel that works everywhere, they are made for where those wheels would never work/be a fucking chore to skate. If you are skating them on smooth surfaces you are sacrificing speed plain and simple (but they still work).
[close]

I’ve skated my 56mm X97 V6 for about two hours, and they’re practically still brand new. They’re starting to bark a little on reverts on smooth concrete which is nice.

I push to and fro our indoor on pretty rough asphalt and worn cement cobbles. And my experience skating these over my 57mm F4 99a Radials is night and day. These glide on crusty stuff in comparison.
On the smooth indoor concrete floors they’re awkwardly quiet, but I can deal with that.
In the wooden mini ramp, they’re just what I wanted. More grip for sure. On F4s I would sometimes slip out on a kick turn.
This is, for me, the best skate wheel. We’ll see if they harden up and get slippery on the wood when winter comes back around.
If I were to go street skating I’m confident this is the wheel to bring. Not counting a cruiser, I could see myself be a one-setup kinda guy now these exist.
[close]

Agreed, if I was only allowed one set of wheels period, it'd be the X97's. 99a F4's are miserable to cruise with, where I've actually taken my X97 board to walk the dog and enjoyed it. They're *almost* as good at the park, but I just love the feel of F4's enough to not totally say screw it and ditch them.

Do you find they collect dust at the indoor? Mine sure did last winter, made them a hazard on the skatelite ramp.

I don't know wtf is up with Powell/Bones distribution in Canada, but the X99's still aren't here. They're in Europe ffs but not Canada. I even bought some Swiss 6's for the first time to go in them.
[close]

Got my x99s rolling with Swiss 6 - so fricken good. I've got wheels/bearings/grip and trucks/bushings on lock, but the deck search continues. The x99s are truly that goo; crazy what 2 duro can do with any wheel.

Which wheel shape are you riding??

Hyped on this feedback on the x99s. As someone who typically skates crust and found the x97s a very pleasant ride, I'm really looking forward to snagging a set for myself

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 72
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2023, 10:37:08 PM »
I tried the V1 shapes for one session. Felt bit smoother to roll on above than medium quality asphalt flat, but not significantly better. The board feel was bit too much on the numb side, and the actual dealbreaker was slappy nose- and tailslides. Felt like someone had put tar on wheel side of the curb. Back to F4 99s.

I'm sure these wheels are a great improvement option for someone, but not for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2023, 11:45:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

x99 literally work everywhere spit 99s do with no downsides, and everywhere they don't.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should probably post this straight to the Buyers' remorse thread, but anyway, tried the X97s on for the first time today, on rough asphalt and shitty, worn concrete. Boy, they pretty much felt like shit. They felt slow with no really noticeable improvement on crust handling compared to "normal" hard wheels (eg. F4 99). Powerslide was ok, but having said that, Dragons slide much better on rough asphalt.

As per rough terrain in general, gonna go back to Dragons instantly. To summarize, sadly I don't see any use for the X97s really – F4 99s will probably work just as good or even better if the ground isn't SUPER crusty.
[close]

Not trying to be contrarian or anything, your opinion is totally valid, but I've gotta say that it definitely doesn't match mine.
[close]

To say the x97s don't handle crust better than spit 99s...or ANY 99s other than the x99 is complete and utter, uneducated BS'.

The amount of speed you lose on 99s, ANY 99s, on real crust, compared to the 97s is crazy.

Anyone that's ridden them on real crust will tell you this...if you don't think they worked better you really weren't skating crust, son.

Honestly, I don't think people understand the dragons/x97s at all, you don't buy them to ride them where you can easily ride a regular fucking 99 or 101, that includes park...they are not some magical wheel that works everywhere, they are made for where those wheels would never work/be a fucking chore to skate. If you are skating them on smooth surfaces you are sacrificing speed plain and simple (but they still work).
[close]

I’ve skated my 56mm X97 V6 for about two hours, and they’re practically still brand new. They’re starting to bark a little on reverts on smooth concrete which is nice.

I push to and fro our indoor on pretty rough asphalt and worn cement cobbles. And my experience skating these over my 57mm F4 99a Radials is night and day. These glide on crusty stuff in comparison.
On the smooth indoor concrete floors they’re awkwardly quiet, but I can deal with that.
In the wooden mini ramp, they’re just what I wanted. More grip for sure. On F4s I would sometimes slip out on a kick turn.
This is, for me, the best skate wheel. We’ll see if they harden up and get slippery on the wood when winter comes back around.
If I were to go street skating I’m confident this is the wheel to bring. Not counting a cruiser, I could see myself be a one-setup kinda guy now these exist.
[close]

Agreed, if I was only allowed one set of wheels period, it'd be the X97's. 99a F4's are miserable to cruise with, where I've actually taken my X97 board to walk the dog and enjoyed it. They're *almost* as good at the park, but I just love the feel of F4's enough to not totally say screw it and ditch them.

Do you find they collect dust at the indoor? Mine sure did last winter, made them a hazard on the skatelite ramp.

I don't know wtf is up with Powell/Bones distribution in Canada, but the X99's still aren't here. They're in Europe ffs but not Canada. I even bought some Swiss 6's for the first time to go in them.
[close]

Got my x99s rolling with Swiss 6 - so fricken good. I've got wheels/bearings/grip and trucks/bushings on lock, but the deck search continues. The x99s are truly that goo; crazy what 2 duro can do with any wheel.
[close]

Which wheel shape are you riding??

Hyped on this feedback on the x99s. As someone who typically skates crust and found the x97s a very pleasant ride, I'm really looking forward to snagging a set for myself

Since I rode the v5 x97 in both 54 & 52mm I went 53mm v1s to have a thinner wheel and shave some weight on an 8.5 with 159 hollow royals.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2023, 12:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Mine didn’t pick up much, but they’re barely worn in. Once I wear off the initial surface, I’m curious to find out if they will coat themselves just like my STFs.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2023, 02:11:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I actually brought both setups out yesterday, 56mm 99a F4 Conical full's (prob down to 54-ish) and 54 X97 V6 (broken in but not as worn). At the park and on fairly smooth transition there's not much of a difference for holding speed, but I'll give F4's the edge. I could happily only skate the X97's here, but given the choice I prefer the harder feel of the spits, especially on coping. The X97's are way quieter, more rubbery, more like Dragons. Grip and slide were fine on both, predictable.

On the way home I stopped at a redeveloped area a buddy had told me about, hipster yuppie apartments and shops by the university. There's a big park "commons" area with a mix of asphalt, bricks, cobbles, slabs, tiles. Grabbed the F4 equipped board first and it was almost embarrassing how loud I was clattering through there, echoing off buildings. Spits were harsh af. Ok on the asphalt but I'd forgotten how brutal they were on cobbles. Cruised through again on the X97's and what a difference, much smoother, faster, and way quieter.

I'll keep skating 99a F4's at the park, but will be grabbing the X97's for street skating going forward. One thing to mention is that I'm 40, and try to be considerate of others using public spaces. There were families hanging out with kids and I felt like a douche clattering through there on the spits disturbing their lunches, the X97's were much more reasonable. I'll probably head back there with the Dragons this week and try them too. Lots of good ledges and small stair sets.

Appreciate your input. Yeah, I don't know, maybe it was the huge difference of coming from Dragons to X97s on crust, I felt like I was on hard wheels again. I may have to do a test with F4s on the same spot and try the X97s again after that. It's just I was a bit shocked on how "normal" the X97s felt after hearing a lot of praise about how they perform on rough ground. Will give them a another chance for sure.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2023, 06:15:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I actually brought both setups out yesterday, 56mm 99a F4 Conical full's (prob down to 54-ish) and 54 X97 V6 (broken in but not as worn). At the park and on fairly smooth transition there's not much of a difference for holding speed, but I'll give F4's the edge. I could happily only skate the X97's here, but given the choice I prefer the harder feel of the spits, especially on coping. The X97's are way quieter, more rubbery, more like Dragons. Grip and slide were fine on both, predictable.

On the way home I stopped at a redeveloped area a buddy had told me about, hipster yuppie apartments and shops by the university. There's a big park "commons" area with a mix of asphalt, bricks, cobbles, slabs, tiles. Grabbed the F4 equipped board first and it was almost embarrassing how loud I was clattering through there, echoing off buildings. Spits were harsh af. Ok on the asphalt but I'd forgotten how brutal they were on cobbles. Cruised through again on the X97's and what a difference, much smoother, faster, and way quieter.

I'll keep skating 99a F4's at the park, but will be grabbing the X97's for street skating going forward. One thing to mention is that I'm 40, and try to be considerate of others using public spaces. There were families hanging out with kids and I felt like a douche clattering through there on the spits disturbing their lunches, the X97's were much more reasonable. I'll probably head back there with the Dragons this week and try them too. Lots of good ledges and small stair sets.
[close]

Appreciate your input. Yeah, I don't know, maybe it was the huge difference of coming from Dragons to X97s on crust, I felt like I was on hard wheels again. I may have to do a test with F4s on the same spot and try the X97s again after that. It's just I was a bit shocked on how "normal" the X97s felt after hearing a lot of praise about how they perform on rough ground. Will give them a another chance for sure.

Speaking for the 99s they feel physically like a normal hard wheel compared dragons but they definitely are faster and hold speed longer than a regular 99. Riding 2 boards same surface same session it's a noticeable change between X99 and F4 99s

Dragons are excellent wheels but honestly I consider them more a Ricta Cloud competitor that slides not a hard wheel competitor.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2023, 11:26:35 AM »
Got some X99 V5 in 53mm on the way, really curious about these.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2023, 12:56:23 PM »
In update to my last post I've skated the 53mm V5 X99 on a variety of terrain lately but not insane crust. Most asphalt some of it rough getting to/from spots, concrete sidewalks/ground mostly decent, and my local skatepark, which is not too slippery.

Compared to a 53 F4 99 Radial these are a bit faster when the asphalt is rough, but it is really close. On cement I do not notice a speed difference and at my skatepark they aren't really much slower. Maybe take a firmer push or something? I don't carve bowls and mostly skate the ledges/boxes, small QP, and lately a flatbar. My main gripe with the Dragon and 97 was the drag on grinds, which still does exist but wayyyyy less. If the ledge is decently waxed it is not noticeable for me. When the park coping or a painted curb were dry I did get a squeal sound and rapid drag. I waxed those same things up and didn't have an issue. It is less of an issue than the Dragons or 97, but not so much that I would switch from one of those to these hoping it would disappear as those are simply faster on asphalt and anything remotely rough.

My main gripe, which is strange considering the Dragon and 97 is that these powerslide/revert worse for me, which is baffling since they're harder. This makes them a bit less fun to skate flatground on or at the park, but its not a deal breaker and I don't notice.

Overall I will likely go back to my F4 Radials for now. They are just as fast more or less on the roughest ground I skate and slide a bit better on the sides of ledges. They have a much wider contact patch than the V5 and I imagine that's why they feel close speed wise. A similar contact patch F4 99 would not be close to the X99 I can say that for sure. When I did have sticking I was on Indys and I compared with a friend's board on Thunders/F4 and his slid faster. I normally ride Thunders so with even less plate I'd have to worry about sticking on some of the drier places I skate. Not a huge issue if I can wax the side of the ledge, but personally I don't like being the one to have to wax shit up and "going even faster" just got me bucked on this same dry ledge with a nice celebratory squeal.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2023, 11:34:04 AM »
Anyone tried spitfire 97a and x97? I'm curious if I should try spitfires 97a option after my x97 are done.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2023, 03:34:53 PM »
Anyone tried spitfire 97a and x97? I'm curious if I should try spitfires 97a option after my x97 are done.

I have both, and for me, the spits just feel  soft and a bit gummy. Like a basic 97a without any kind of other benefit.

X97 feel ‘lively’. To me they feel way faster (I think others have tested this), slide better, and just all round feel better.

The only downside to them (I’ve been told) is when they rub on unwaxed metal- the consensus is they are stickier.

But apart from some mini ramping (where I don’t notice it much) I don’t ride much metal coping, so I really enjoy them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 07:28:20 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2023, 10:44:40 AM »
How are pinched grinds on X99 compared to stf99? The X97 already (power)slide better than stf99, but the stf99 win in terms of grinding. Hoping the X99 are a lot better in that regard.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2023, 10:55:04 AM »
I just got a set of x99. But I’ve only got one session in at a diy I can say they feel better rolling over stuff than my f4 99s but  I can’t really say much as far as skating cause when I went it was crazy hot and I feel the ledge o went to skate was  B sticky from melted wax on it. Hopefully this weekend I’ll get a better session in.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2023, 12:48:54 PM »
How are pinched grinds on X99 compared to stf99? The X97 already (power)slide better than stf99, but the stf99 win in terms of grinding. Hoping the X99 are a lot better in that regard.

Not compared to STF99, but compared to F4 slightly worse. They still can squeal and slow down on coping and the cement I skated them on when it wasn't as waxed, but on well waxed surfaces I didn't notice much.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2023, 12:31:45 PM »
Ok so I tested the X97s (54mm V5) for the second time today, this time at my local park which has rough asphalt and some concrete transitions.

Upon my first time on them about a month ago I wasn't too impressed, but this time they felt pretty great. They roll significantly faster and smoother on a rough surface compared to my regular F4 99s. The feel is similar to Dragons, but maybe a tad closer to a "real" wheel -- in a good way. Plus, they kinda felt just as fast on concrete as my regular 99s.

Overall I have to update my first impression on them in a big way. In a nutshell: a great wheel with a good range for various purposes and surfaces.

Edit: forgot to mention that they powerslide extremely well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2023, 01:44:47 PM »
As much as I clown on people who are going nuts over these wheels, I pushed around on go skate day with something very similar and it was rad…..I’m considering buying a set to swap out the few times a year I skate some rougher spots…..

Samsquantch

« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2023, 03:16:53 PM »
Skated 54mm X97's in the park the last couple days, medium smooth park yesterday and really smooth one today. Aside from the sound, which I'm getting used to, these things are great. They seem to hold speed close enough to 99a F4's that I don't notice a difference there, and they have more grip on smooth concrete.

It is pretty Impressive how much these things smooth out crust and cracks while still being buttery on power slides and reverts. Roll over death pebbles much better too.

It'd be nice if Bones/Powell did a wider range of shapes, I'd love a conical full X97.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2023, 05:11:13 PM »
Skated 54mm X97's in the park the last couple days, medium smooth park yesterday and really smooth one today. Aside from the sound, which I'm getting used to, these things are great. They seem to hold speed close enough to 99a F4's that I don't notice a difference there, and they have more grip on smooth concrete.

It is pretty Impressive how much these things smooth out crust and cracks while still being buttery on power slides and reverts. Roll over death pebbles much better too.

It'd be nice if Bones/Powell did a wider range of shapes, I'd love a conical full X97.

They have the best range of shapes out, IMO, no overlap/very defined shape spectrum; tech to wide, no muss or fuss.

They make a V6 in both x97/99.

I've been on the x99s since they dropped and don't have any issues/concerns with them at all (stepping on spit 99s at the same spots was very jarrring).

Samsquantch

« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2023, 05:15:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They have the best range of shape out, IMO, very little overlap/very defined shape spectrum.

They make a V6 in both x97/99

That's what I'm on, but it's a way different shape than a conical full, more rounded with a much narrower contact patch. They've been nice and grippy though, so it's been a non-issue.

Edit to add- I agree, they do make great shapes, really like how much sidecut the V6's have, they just tend towards narrow. I wonder if they'll be adding any more shapes in the X97 formula?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 05:22:55 PM by Samsquantch »

JimmyFive

« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2023, 06:37:56 PM »
I think if Bones put out some 56m-60mm "fattie wheels" (think radial, conical and lock-in full) in X97 and X99 they would be super popular.
I mean even just larger V5 and V6 shapes would be great.
I saw OJ has a new "fattie" radial full type shape.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2023, 07:42:11 PM »
Don't get me wrong, options are good! But I've always thought the Spit size shape/range is excessive (lock-in radial fulls lol); I think Bones just says one in each category is good 'enough' AND since they have less marketshare, that's the right way to go.

Ricta even more-so these days. Wide, Round, Medium, Slim (I do miss the super slim conical tho)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2023, 09:54:07 PM »
Kind of silly but I'd like to see a X97 V3 54mm, haven't skated a super skinny wheel like the Autobahn Street Slim in years but it'd be fun to see if the new formula can compensate for a narrow riding patch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2023, 12:40:21 AM »
Kind of silly but I'd like to see a X97 V3 54mm, haven't skated a super skinny wheel like the Autobahn Street Slim in years but it'd be fun to see if the new formula can compensate for a narrow riding patch.

As a fellow v3 rider I’d love to see them in x99, until then, v1 will have to do.

JimmyFive

« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2023, 05:04:41 AM »
Don't get me wrong, options are good! But I've always thought the Spit size shape/range is excessive (lock-in radial fulls lol); I think Bones just says one in each category is good 'enough' AND since they have less marketshare, that's the right way to go.

Ricta even more-so these days. Wide, Round, Medium, Slim (I do miss the super slim conical tho)

Oh I get you for sure - I find the "full" range of wheels to be a bit tu meke. The only one I get with is F499 conical full. 
Big and wide seems to be hot right now though. IME big isn't always better - I find radial fulls super clunky.
I do think a 58mm X97 or X99 would be fun. Very fast
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 05:13:37 AM by JimmyFive »

JimmyFive

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2023, 05:12:10 AM »
You are right - Bones have taken the one out of each category approach.
Makes sense.

Finally getting my X99's tomorrow. Can't wait

LebowskisRug

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2023, 12:04:22 PM »
I like the V5 shape but the V1 feel too narrow for me. The X99 in a Radial shape would be my ideal asphalt wheel. I like the compound but my F4 99 Radials feel just as fast and I can put up with the roughness to not have to swap for the park.

As someone who didn't enjoy dragons and was meh on the X97, the 99 is as close to ideal in this type of formula and they're really good wheels

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2023, 05:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not compared to STF99, but compared to F4 slightly worse. They still can squeal and slow down on coping and the cement I skated them on when it wasn't as waxed, but on well waxed surfaces I didn't notice much.

I’m late to this x97 party. I’ve been on them for a few weeks and overall I have mixed emotions about them. Was falling in love until I decided to relearn Ollie-in crooks and variations thereof on ledges (as opposed to slappy varieties, which would be routine warm-up trick, and hasn’t resulted in chunking so far). It’s happened on concrete and metal grinding edges.

The inside of the “pinch” wheel just chunks out horrendously! It’s just disintegrating. Once the chunks start coming, it’s like there’s no way to stop it from falling apart.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this a bug, or a feature of this wheel? I’ve got the x99 version on ice, about to move onto those.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2023, 09:52:16 AM »
I’m curious to see a picture of the chunking.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2251
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2023, 10:02:10 AM »
I’m curious to see a picture of the chun king.
Grabbed one from the net.
Here go.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
I’m curious to see a picture of the chunking.

Same.

I'm guessing a bunk set, trolling or ollies into a trash metal edge with jaggies/shrapnel all over it, as I don't recall anyone complaining about chunking for any of the dragons/x9s.

My 93s/97s dragons and x99s have no chunks, ollies, slappies and heavy abuse.

Can we get some pics my dude?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2023, 11:35:59 AM »
I had a friend that had some x97 chunk, but it was his fault for skating such a fucked up box. The angle iron was fairly sharp and had come up off the box a bit and woulda sliced any wheel.

FWIW I've been losing chunks out of my recent F4s a bunch lately mostly from our curb spot where the wheels slide on cement. This was the old F4/not as white one and I don't notice it when riding at all.