Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797498 times)

Mulldrifter and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1770 on: May 09, 2019, 11:51:33 PM »
I went back to F4 99 classics in 54mm after being on some waywards and feel that I may never support indie wheel brands ever again*

*unless physics wheels comes back in business

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1771 on: May 10, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »
Is there a real difference between tablets and conicals full? Seems pretty much the same to me
Conical fulls are wider with a rounder sidecut and maybe 1-2mm less contact patch- here is a pic, however the conical fulls are 53mm (compared to 52mm tabs) so they'll be 1mm wider than a 52mm of the same shape.

Shuh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1772 on: May 10, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Is there a real difference between tablets and conicals full? Seems pretty much the same to me
[close]
Conical fulls are wider with a rounder sidecut and maybe 1-2mm less contact patch- here is a pic, however the conical fulls are 53mm (compared to 52mm tabs) so they'll be 1mm wider than a 52mm of the same shape.

Then whats the difference between tablet and a normal connical shape?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1773 on: May 10, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »
Tablets have flat sides like the inside of lock-ins. Conical are cut out to reduce weight.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1774 on: May 11, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Man all this wheel talk makes me want those bones easy streets so bad!!

Also, on the real any wheel will slide when you go fast

Was bombing a short street hill that was kinda steep with some spit classics and they slid almost like an f4 99, just a little grippier

For a while I took that idea out of my head cause I noticed how much better f4 and stf were for slides but they are in general use, bombing hills and going fast any wheel will do

What's a bit weird about the easy streets is they kinda don't stop once you initiate your powerslide. 

I'm psyched on the tablets, might have to get a set.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1775 on: May 11, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »
I went back to F4 99 classics in 54mm after being on some waywards and feel that I may never support indie wheel brands ever again*

Same here. Wayward were such a bad experience...

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1776 on: May 11, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Man all this wheel talk makes me want those bones easy streets so bad!!

Also, on the real any wheel will slide when you go fast

Was bombing a short street hill that was kinda steep with some spit classics and they slid almost like an f4 99, just a little grippier

For a while I took that idea out of my head cause I noticed how much better f4 and stf were for slides but they are in general use, bombing hills and going fast any wheel will do
[close]

What's a bit weird about the easy streets is they kinda don't stop once you initiate your powerslide. 

I'm psyched on the tablets, might have to get a set.

Yeah I’m digging the tablets and new classic formula shape that are also tablets?

I still want those easy streets so bad, I like both spits and bones but bones just last longer to me

They just feel consistent for so long like a deck that holds its shape and stiffness
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1777 on: May 12, 2019, 01:34:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn. Indy TI, riptides, only two bolts (and both bottom, not criss crossed) and Krux pins?

I'm super jealous.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #1778 on: May 12, 2019, 05:24:32 AM »
Over at Tactics, all Spitfire F4 classics are listed at non-F4 prices - $26.95.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1779 on: May 12, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Damn. Indy TI, riptides, only two bolts (and both bottom, not criss crossed) and Krux pins?

I'm super jealous.

Those are 6 hole Indy baseplates. You see the old school holes empty. Pretty sure the holes you can’t see have bolts.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1780 on: May 12, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
Is there a skinny tablet-ty 55mm? Edit fuck i just checked bones and spitfire and they dont.  The v5 is 32 width in 55mm.  It be cool if they made a 55 by 29 tablet.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:09:22 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ballintoohard

« Reply #1781 on: May 12, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
What's the closest Bones shape to conicals?

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1782 on: May 12, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »
the v5

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1783 on: May 12, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the v5
They dropped th v's for spring 2019, they're "sidecuts" now

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1784 on: May 12, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
Can anyone speak for the OG classic spitfires?

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #1785 on: May 12, 2019, 10:39:34 PM »

Thy be good amongst thine streets

As for thy most new OG classeeiks beist widest in the lands within f4 origins
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1786 on: May 13, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »
How often do you guys replace wheels? I got some 50mm F4's in january. Even tho I dont skate much, they are already went down to 45mm! Guess I gotta buy a new pair, but in 54mm

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1787 on: May 13, 2019, 01:47:25 AM »
Getting a cruiser pretty soon to ride to work. What's the difference between the OJ super juice and hot juice?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1788 on: May 13, 2019, 01:51:55 AM »
Getting a cruiser pretty soon to ride to work. What's the difference between the OJ super juice and hot juice?

Super juice is supposed to be an improved formula. Neither are that great though imo but if you're set on the wide soft OJs then get super juices.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1789 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Super juice is supposed to be an improved formula. Neither are that great though imo but if you're set on the wide soft OJs then get super juices.
Thanks. I'm still probably going for the super juices since I like how wide they are but what you recommend then? I want them to be super soft since I won be sliding with them.

I was thinking if I don't get super juices then maybe the Bones rough riders but they are pretty pricey. I had bones atfs ages ago and they were solid so I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:09:15 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #1790 on: May 13, 2019, 03:41:51 AM »
Super juice will last longer than the hot juice and hold up a little better in corners..

I'm enjoying 56 ricta clouds more than the super juices I've had..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:44:26 AM by talklessSkateMore »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1791 on: May 13, 2019, 03:49:04 AM »
I'm skating some Pro Berle Classics which are 99. They're nice but sure lasts way less than F4. I got them for like 1 month of skating and they shrinked quite a bit
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1792 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:34 AM »
Super juice will last longer than the hot juice and hold up a little better in corners..

I really want to try some clouds but they don't look to wide. How do they compare width wise to something like spitfire conicals?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1793 on: May 13, 2019, 04:23:01 AM »
If you are after something wide ish and around 60mm, I would check out the Powell Bombers, they're 60mm, decently wide and 85a. Not quite as soft as the OJs but either one is more than smooth enough for most rough terrain. I guess if your commute to work is next level shit, 78a vs 85a might be a noticeable difference.

The nice thing about them is they don't feel gummy on decent ground, and very surprisingly, they slide really good. I have no problem doing full on powerslides down hills without too much more effort than say on a wider spitfire classic, although it feels and sounds very different and you can't hold it for quite as long. In my opinion, it's always nice to have the option to be able to slide in case you ever need it.

I've tried my friends super juices, powell g-slides and the bombers. The bombers are my favourite by far and are nicer for slides than the g-slides, which have a chalky, muted slide. Recently got some 56mm keyframes because I wanted something with a smaller profile for my zip zinger, but really miss the ability to slide like on the bombers. That being said, if you want the softest possible wheel, I'd just get whatever you can find that's got the lowest durometer.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1794 on: May 13, 2019, 04:43:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone skated SML 99d grocery bags? I usually skate Spitfire classic formula, but these are in the local shop in a 56 conical, and my usual wheels are not.
[close]
they are very similiar to the classics

you'll enjoy them

Ended up getting the SML’s;
Only skated in the streets so far, but feel very similar to the classics, maybe a touch harder? Feel fast, slides are easy to control.

Thanks for recommending them.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #1795 on: May 13, 2019, 05:24:12 AM »
Does anybody know what happened to prizefighter? Did they close down? Never got the chance to try them and iirc they were very well received on here.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1796 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »
If you are after something wide ish and around 60mm, I would check out the Powell Bombers, they're 60mm, decently wide and 85a. Not quite as soft as the OJs but either one is more than smooth enough for most rough terrain. I guess if your commute to work is next level shit, 78a vs 85a might be a noticeable difference.

The nice thing about them is they don't feel gummy on decent ground, and very surprisingly, they slide really good. I have no problem doing full on powerslides down hills without too much more effort than say on a wider spitfire classic, although it feels and sounds very different and you can't hold it for quite as long. In my opinion, it's always nice to have the option to be able to slide in case you ever need it.

I've tried my friends super juices, powell g-slides and the bombers. The bombers are my favourite by far and are nicer for slides than the g-slides, which have a chalky, muted slide. Recently got some 56mm keyframes because I wanted something with a smaller profile for my zip zinger, but really miss the ability to slide like on the bombers. That being said, if you want the softest possible wheel, I'd just get whatever you can find that's got the lowest durometer.
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of 55-56mm though. Don't want to fuck around with wheelbite. Also, I won't really be doing powerslides. That's why I figured to just go with 78A since it'll be a smoother ride. However, I ride 101 formula fours so anything in the low 90s-mid 80s will seem extremely soft. I wish they made the bombers in a 54/56mm instead of like 62 haha. Lots of people rave about them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:04:21 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #1797 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
Does anybody know what happened to prizefighter? Did they close down? Never got the chance to try them and iirc they were very well received on here.

Yea same I wanna know what’s up with them as well
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #1798 on: May 13, 2019, 05:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I really want to try some clouds but they don't look to wide. How do they compare width wise to something like spitfire conicals?

They are wide enough imo. I have them side by side with 56 oj mini cubics and it's pretty much the same. I can't upload pictures or I'd show you

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1799 on: May 14, 2019, 12:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of 55-56mm though. Don't want to fuck around with wheelbite. Also, I won't really be doing powerslides. That's why I figured to just go with 78A since it'll be a smoother ride. However, I ride 101 formula fours so anything in the low 90s-mid 80s will seem extremely soft. I wish they made the bombers in a 54/56mm instead of like 62 haha. Lots of people rave about them.

In that case the super juice sound pretty ideal. Wheelbite isn't really ever an issue with me on cruisers for some reason so I guess I never really noticed. Good thing about 55-56mm is that it's a more similar height to your normal setup