Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797528 times)

cliff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 743
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2910 on: April 20, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In the past I could never see myself riding anything bigger than a 52mm, but given that street / curb skating is all we have right now, 54mm conicals / wide wheels seem like a welcome relief from the cracks in the road.

Been eyeing a pair of Autobahn 54mm Dual Core wheels cored (dual durometer), unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship stuff out during lockdown. Still a good time to try some dual cored SML wheels I inherited from a 2nd hand setup I got.

Got me thinking - why did cored wheels out of fashion?
[close]

What good do they do? What’s the difference between regular core and dual core?
[close]

Meant to type core / dual durometer. Seemed like back in the day every brand had a core wheel.
[close]

You still see duel durometer on a lot of softer wheels. I think it makes more sense with soft wheels, the harder core allows the bearings to seat straight without spacers. For hard wheels it's not really a problem.
[close]
The core on cruiser wheels is hard plastic, I see 70d hardness used a lot. There's some actual dual durometer wheels out there. There's roller derby stuff where the outside is softer for grip and the inside is harder for speed. Goofy colors..
And there's these weird Autobahn wheels that I never got to see in person. They use a 97a core in a 83b wheel for good slide and speed without being to jarring. Idk how well they worked.
https://www.fullcircledistribution.com/collections/autobahn-wheel-co/products/autobahn-ab-x-torus-97a-52mm-54mm

We plastic cores on all of our SML. wheels for years but just in the middle of the wheel. Once you put the bearings in you can't see it so the called it "invisible cores".

Reason being no matter how hard the wheels are urethane still compresses and can actually have an effect on the bearings. Or that was what we gathered from our manufacturer. We still use it for our cruisers since the are softer.

Thanks to all of you who have tried SML. wheels...we're still the little guys and appreciate people trying them!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2911 on: April 20, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Which OJ cruiser wheel is the best? I need one that rolls well, slides easily (to do slappies), and isn't ridiculously big. I'm going to use Indy 169s and probably either a 9-1/4 Krooked Dan Drehobl deck or a Girl Couch/Love shape.
[close]
I rock 54mm keyframes.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2912 on: April 20, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In the past I could never see myself riding anything bigger than a 52mm, but given that street / curb skating is all we have right now, 54mm conicals / wide wheels seem like a welcome relief from the cracks in the road.

Been eyeing a pair of Autobahn 54mm Dual Core wheels cored (dual durometer), unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship stuff out during lockdown. Still a good time to try some dual cored SML wheels I inherited from a 2nd hand setup I got.

Got me thinking - why did cored wheels out of fashion?
[close]

What good do they do? What’s the difference between regular core and dual core?
[close]

Meant to type core / dual durometer. Seemed like back in the day every brand had a core wheel.
[close]

You still see duel durometer on a lot of softer wheels. I think it makes more sense with soft wheels, the harder core allows the bearings to seat straight without spacers. For hard wheels it's not really a problem.
[close]
The core on cruiser wheels is hard plastic, I see 70d hardness used a lot. There's some actual dual durometer wheels out there. There's roller derby stuff where the outside is softer for grip and the inside is harder for speed. Goofy colors..
And there's these weird Autobahn wheels that I never got to see in person. They use a 97a core in a 83b wheel for good slide and speed without being to jarring. Idk how well they worked.
https://www.fullcircledistribution.com/collections/autobahn-wheel-co/products/autobahn-ab-x-torus-97a-52mm-54mm
[close]

We plastic cores on all of our SML. wheels for years but just in the middle of the wheel. Once you put the bearings in you can't see it so the called it "invisible cores".

Reason being no matter how hard the wheels are urethane still compresses and can actually have an effect on the bearings. Or that was what we gathered from our manufacturer. We still use it for our cruisers since the are softer.

Thanks to all of you who have tried SML. wheels...we're still the little guys and appreciate people trying them!

Damn cliff himself replied! Best lockdown ever!

For real, I actually really liked riding the 52mm core conical wheels from SML. I usually ride harder 99a slimmer wheels but these felt great on crusty road.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #2913 on: April 20, 2020, 11:32:26 PM »
In need of a replacement cruiser wheel for my 78a clouds.

Should i go for keyframes or another set of clouds or something else? The skateshop I like supporting has a bunch of Welcome wheels but I feel uneasy buying them

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2914 on: April 21, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »

Should i go for keyframes or another set of clouds or something else? The skateshop I like supporting has a bunch of Welcome wheels but I feel uneasy buying them

I've had both 78a Clouds and 87a Keyframes. Honestly they feel about the same. The big difference is, the Keyframes are narrower than the clouds with a bit less contact patch. I liked the Clouds better (on my setup) because my truck axles were slightly less than my deck and the Clouds were wide, so they filled the extra space.

If you're down to try something different, Clouds have a bunch of different duros. I've been meaning to try the 92a.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:38:27 AM by Uncle Poseur »

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2915 on: April 21, 2020, 05:58:20 AM »
Any good ideas for wearing a single wheel?

Many moons ago I bought an old school complete for the natas deck. It came with 80's hosoi rockets, 3 92a that are 55-56mm, and a 97a almost new at 60mm. I want to use them in a cruiser and I don't care about the hardness but the size difference it's too much.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #2916 on: April 21, 2020, 06:18:03 AM »

Many moons ago I bought an old school complete for the natas deck. It came with 80's hosoi rockets, 3 92a that are 55-56mm, and a 97a almost new at 60mm. I want to use them in a cruiser and I don't care about the hardness but the size difference it's too much.

Maybe a bench grinder? It would be had not to cone it out or leave it bumpy.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2917 on: April 21, 2020, 06:49:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've had both 78a Clouds and 87a Keyframes. Honestly they feel about the same. The big difference is, the Keyframes are narrower than the clouds with a bit less contact patch. I liked the Clouds better (on my setup) because my truck axles were slightly less than my deck and the Clouds were wide, so they filled the extra space.

If you're down to try something different, Clouds have a bunch of different duros. I've been meaning to try the 92a.
are the clouds heavy then? Feel like I can feel the heft when i put key frames on

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2918 on: April 21, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »

Belt sander held at about a 60 degree angle to the rotation of the wheel.  It will make the wheel spin and the sanding across will take off the urethane.    I haven't tried to go down that much, but I do this when I get a flat spot.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2919 on: April 21, 2020, 09:04:06 AM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

I had no idea where to post this.

I'm so fucking happy I found this. The rest are close by I can feel it.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2920 on: April 21, 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

cosign that there's surprisingly little in "feel" between duro on these wheels (in the end I went with a MUCH bigger wheel for 3rd setup in that range (76a) for a bigger contrast/different function) but what size were you trying at?

52mm Keyframes def seemed wider & flatter than 52mm Clouds more "Spit classic" type shape to me?

I didn't enjoy the skinny/less stable feeling of the clouds though, Keyframes have a nice rattly-bounce almost a street wheel in feedback to them but with a reassuring contact patch. I don't really like thin contact patch or skinny wheels generally though, never have even back in the day. 53mm 101 lock-ins are my "proper" wheel of choice, for a perfect compromise flat ride/functional for tricks jam.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2921 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
my point which I didn't really make, the clouds width seems to vary massively throughout the product range... 52-60mm get way wider as they get taller.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #2922 on: April 22, 2020, 05:45:32 AM »
So I decided to give Loopholes a try. For those unfamiliar they're the same as NFG, so small batch hand-poured wheels from SF.

First ones I got were the 54mm "teardrop" shape which is pretty much just a classic shape. Was pretty impressed with how fast and smooth they were on rough terrain despite being pretty hard (52D). Really enjoyed them but being on the narrow side I wasn't super comfortable and kind of limited myself to only skating smooth, flat areas.

Seeing as how it was a shape issue more than anything I decided to get the 56mm V shapes which are kind of like a tablet on steroids. These things are WIDE and it's mostly contact patch. I'm absolutely loving them so far. They're fast as hell, crush through pebbles and debris, and have a super buttery slide. They almost slid too well at first, but after an hour or so they settled down and I got used to them.

The graphics do come off really easily, almost like a temporary tattoo. You could wipe the whole thing bare with a rag in seconds if you wanted to, which is a negative for some people but for the "graphics in" crowd it's kind of nice. The V shapes do have some bubbling/pitting but it's only in a few small spots and I kind of like that they have minor flaws that don't affect performance. It shows that they really are hand poured and comes across as honest if that makes any sense.

Overall I think they're really fucking good. I don't think theyre ever going to be super popular like spitfire or bones but that's part of what I like about them. The formula is excellent, the shapes are great, and I think the V shape might even replace my  go-to F4 conical full in a lot of situations. Hopefully they hold up long term as well as F4 does.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2923 on: April 22, 2020, 07:41:58 AM »
So I decided to give Loopholes a try. For those unfamiliar they're the same as NFG, so small batch hand-poured wheels from SF.

First ones I got were the 54mm "teardrop" shape which is pretty much just a classic shape. Was pretty impressed with how fast and smooth they were on rough terrain despite being pretty hard (52D). Really enjoyed them but being on the narrow side I wasn't super comfortable and kind of limited myself to only skating smooth, flat areas.

Seeing as how it was a shape issue more than anything I decided to get the 56mm V shapes which are kind of like a tablet on steroids. These things are WIDE and it's mostly contact patch. I'm absolutely loving them so far. They're fast as hell, crush through pebbles and debris, and have a super buttery slide. They almost slid too well at first, but after an hour or so they settled down and I got used to them.

The graphics do come off really easily, almost like a temporary tattoo. You could wipe the whole thing bare with a rag in seconds if you wanted to, which is a negative for some people but for the "graphics in" crowd it's kind of nice. The V shapes do have some bubbling/pitting but it's only in a few small spots and I kind of like that they have minor flaws that don't affect performance. It shows that they really are hand poured and comes across as honest if that makes any sense.

Overall I think they're really fucking good. I don't think theyre ever going to be super popular like spitfire or bones but that's part of what I like about them. The formula is excellent, the shapes are great, and I think the V shape might even replace my  go-to F4 conical full in a lot of situations. Hopefully they hold up long term as well as F4 does.

Same experience here with Loophole and NFG. Crazy slide at first, then grip up a bit first day. After a couple months of on/off use, they feel a little grippier (slide wise) than the 101a F4. Love these wheels

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2924 on: April 22, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »
Anyone tried SML? how do they compare to Spitfires?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2925 on: April 22, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »

Good timing, I'm just about done skating my second pair of SML AG 52mm v-cut 99as, these ones:
https://www.tactics.com/sml/grocery-bag-ii-v-cut-skateboard-wheels

Really like them once the tread goes away (why do wheels still come with tread???), feel slightly softer than 99a f4s, maybe a hair better on rough ground, really like the way they slide, very controlled, just as good as f4s imo. Felt just as good bombing hills and doing bluntslides. Maybe a little less flatspot resistant compared to f4s, I got a few small ones that went away quickly (though for context I also flatspot f4s regularly so...). If we're splitting hairs maybe a tiny bit grippier. The conical ish shape is good too, though would be curious to try the classics lookin og-wides in the future.

My next set of wheels are some f4s just because I wanted to skate radial slims again, but in the future I definitely see myself skating these again regularly and probably over f4s if I can find them either for cheaper or in the og wides. Good to support a smaller company, and I like the colour or the urethane a lot more, much less yellow and ever so slightly translucent like classics kinda. Though if you skate really dirty terrain the dirt seems to stick to the wheel a bit more. If I had to compare them to anything I'd say maybe a hybrid of a spitfire classic and an f4? With the riding feel and appearance leaning closer towards classics, and the slide and performance leaning towards f4s.

Edit:
Two days in on F4 radial slim 99s, and coming back to f4s they're slipperier than I remember, the SMLs were probably right in between classics and f4s. Interesting because it feels identical on ledges but when bombing hills the SMLs take a little more effort to push into a slide. I actually like this a lot more because the whole point of powersliding is to slow yourself down and if the wheel is too slippery you don't lose any speed and you're more likely to slip out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:59:22 PM by tzhangdox »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2926 on: April 22, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
Tried the STF 99 and I must say I'm really pleased.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2927 on: April 22, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good timing, I'm just about done skating my second pair of SML AG 52mm v-cut 99as, these ones:

Really like them once the tread goes away (why do wheels still come with tread???), feel slightly softer than 99a f4s, maybe a hair better on rough ground, really like the way they slide, very controlled, just as good as f4s imo. Felt just as good bombing hills and doing bluntslides. Maybe a little less flatspot resistant compared to f4s, I got a few small ones that went away quickly (though for context I also flatspot f4s regularly so...). If we're splitting hairs maybe a tiny bit grippier. The conical ish shape is good too, though would be curious to try the classics lookin og-wides in the future.

My next set of wheels are some f4s just because I wanted to skate radial slims again, but in the future I definitely see myself skating these again regularly and probably over f4s if I can find them either for cheaper or in the og wides. Good to support a smaller company, and I like the colour or the urethane a lot more, much less yellow and ever so slightly translucent like classics kinda. Though if you skate really dirty terrain the dirt seems to stick to the wheel a bit more. If I had to compare them to anything I'd say maybe a hybrid of a spitfire classic and an f4? With the riding feel and appearance leaning closer towards classics, and the slide and performance leaning towards f4s.

Wow! Appreciate the in depth review!

The Grocery Bags are Austyn's preferred formula. We get them from Creative and they're the closest thing to the older Spitfire Classic's. Our OG formula is closer to an F4 or Bones STF from what I have personally tried. Way more flat spot resistant.

As a small brand (pun intended ha) we are really hyped to hear these kinds of reviews and see what people really think.

Much love SLAP fam and Shalom!

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2928 on: April 22, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Grocery Bags are Austyn's preferred formula. We get them from Creative and they're the closest thing to the older Spitfire Classic's. Our OG formula is closer to an F4 or Bones STF from what I have personally tried. Way more flat spot resistant.

As a small brand (pun intended ha) we are really hyped to hear these kinds of reviews and see what people really think.

Of course! Super hyped on them. If I understand correctly, there are two sml formulas? The AG is the one I skated and then there's the OG which is harder and more flatspot resistant?

I had a set of these a few years ago https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/sml-wheels-gillette-commies-og-wide-skateboard-wheels-52mm-p31344. I think they were the harder ones. They were noticeably harder, slid great, felt more like an stf or 101 f4. But like the 101 f4s, a bit too hard and a little rattly on rough ground for me. I definitely prefer the AG formula but these would be great for many people too if they value absolute flatspot resistance and the slidyness (though I don't find any of these really lacking in the AG).

If anything to improve on at all, I'd just say lose the tread if possible but thats a minor issue that only lasts a few days. More shapes would be cool (something like a radial slim maybe). But for a two shape selection, the og wide (classic style) and v-cut (conical style) combo both seem like great choices.

Highly recommended, shalom!

cliff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2929 on: April 22, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Of course! Super hyped on them. If I understand correctly, there are two sml formulas? The AG is the one I skated and then there's the OG which is harder and more flatspot resistant?

I had a set of these a few years ago https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/sml-wheels-gillette-commies-og-wide-skateboard-wheels-52mm-p31344. I think they were the harder ones. They were noticeably harder, slid great, felt more like an stf or 101 f4. But like the 101 f4s, a bit too hard and a little rattly on rough ground for me. I definitely prefer the AG formula but these would be great for many people too if they value absolute flatspot resistance and the slidyness (though I don't find any of these really lacking in the AG).

If anything to improve on at all, I'd just say lose the tread if possible but thats a minor issue that only lasts a few days. More shapes would be cool (something like a radial slim maybe). But for a two shape selection, the og wide (classic style) and v-cut (conical style) combo both seem like great choices.

Highly recommended, shalom!

Technically they're not harder. Both are 99a (which can also vary slightly from batch to batch because of the chemistry)

The OG's have a higher rebound and are a little harder to power slide. We get them from Aend (use to make the old Darkstar duel duros) Super good quality and are harder to flat spot.

Saint Coke

« Reply #2930 on: April 22, 2020, 04:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You don't disappoint when it comes to reviews. I will give these a look and decide. I am just finishing up a pair of 99d spitfire conicals that are super coned. Thinking about grabbing either a 53mm 101d Conical full or Classic. I think I would like the classics for the slimmer profile, the conical for rolling. 99d feels a little to soft for me on the spitfires. I rely on the slide when I fs 180 cuz I'm fat.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2931 on: April 22, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »
If 99a f4s are too soft for you, then the sml ag formula is probably too soft as well. The og formula might be good, as said above, it feels harder and a bit slidier.

Saint Coke

« Reply #2932 on: April 22, 2020, 09:19:54 PM »
If 99a f4s are too soft for you, then the sml ag formula is probably too soft as well. The og formula might be good, as said above, it feels harder and a bit slidier.
Matter of perception I suppose.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2933 on: April 22, 2020, 11:27:58 PM »

accurate description. I had some of the 56mm conicals too, I reviewed them a few pages back. Actually just picked up another set because I missed them!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2934 on: April 23, 2020, 04:42:25 AM »
I’ve had a different experience with Loophole regarding the slide - I’ve been riding around on some  54mm teardrops for about a week and found them to be more difficult to break into a slide than F4. Mine definitely feel more grippy. I’m really, really enjoying them though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2935 on: April 23, 2020, 04:49:13 AM »
Really? Do you usually ride 99 F4s? Loopholes definitely felt more icy than them, I’ve new we skated 101 F4s though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2936 on: April 23, 2020, 05:16:15 AM »
Recently I’ve been on radial slim and classics in 99 and tablets and classics in 101 (lots of tinkering due to winter boredom) - they all break into a slide with less resistance than my loophole. I’ve ibeen riding on this new, very smooth blacktop for what that’s worth.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2937 on: April 23, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »

Technically they're not harder. Both are 99a (which can also vary slightly from batch to batch because of the chemistry)

The OG's have a higher rebound and are a little harder to power slide. We get them from Aend (use to make the old Darkstar duel duros) Super good quality and are harder to flat spot.

I have been riding the sammy montano og wide 53mm for about 2-3 weeks and can confirm this in comparison to my 53mm f4 99a lock ins I rode before. That said it is definitely not dramatic or bad. Cannot say too much about blunts since I currently have no ledge available. They are also good on shitty paved sidewalks. All in all a really good wheel. But sounds like I would even be happier with the AG formula. Will see in a year or so, when i need new ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2938 on: April 24, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
AUTOBAHN WHEEL CO.

https://fullcircledistribution.com/collections/autobahn-wheel-co

Dual Duro king is back (tho the 100a DD are sold out :(

Diocletian

« Reply #2939 on: April 25, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
I can’t remember where but I read a conical wheel actually lessens the chances of hang ups when coming out of a grind on coping vs a round wheel, when I always thought the opposite. Thoughts fellow wheel nerds?