Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798522 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4800 on: March 31, 2022, 07:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can anyone recommend a wheel make/model that really unlocked powerslides for them. My slides are unconfident, inconsistent and lackluster. I am generally skating plaza paving rather than smooth park crete. Running some wide loopholes atm.
[close]

Wheels aren't going to teach you technique, but if you just want the maximum of slipperiness get stf 103a/83b wheels.
And if that's not enough, try them out on wet ground. Stay safe
[close]
Definitely a technique issue, not equipment. Maybe check out some longboarder stuff on YouTube- those fools slide shit most skaters would consider impossible.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaE5X4xlUNh/?utm_medium=copy_link

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4801 on: March 31, 2022, 07:12:24 AM »
Can anyone recommend a wheel make/model that really unlocked powerslides for them. My slides are unconfident, inconsistent and lackluster. I am generally skating plaza paving rather than smooth park crete. Running some wide loopholes atm.

Definitely Bones STF 103a.... They slide fairly easily even atb lower speeds.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4802 on: March 31, 2022, 11:19:13 AM »
Is there a way to prevent asymmetrical wheels from coning that doesn't involve turning them inside out?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4803 on: March 31, 2022, 11:30:10 AM »
Yeah, take them off and criss cross them with the wheel diagonal to them.

Like take the back right wheel and put it in the front left.... Front left in back right. Do it for the other two as well.

Make sure the same side is still facing outwards of course.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4804 on: March 31, 2022, 11:41:32 AM »

Like take the back right wheel and put it in the front left.... Front left in back right. Do it for the other two as well.

Huh, I've always done that but while flipping them. It'll work if I don't? Kind of cool.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4805 on: March 31, 2022, 12:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Huh, I've always done that but while flipping them. It'll work if I don't? Kind of cool.

Yeah it should work just fine. But now you're making me question what I know about coning with you saying you turn them inside out AND criss cross them... I'll have to look into that.

Which asymetrical wheels are you rocking?

The only asymmetrical wheel I've ridden were OJ mini combos. I didn't realize they were asymmetrical until I moved onto my next set of wheels haha. I had the graphics inward which is actually how I would have ridden them if I knew they were assymetrical. Lucky me.

Edit: I'm a bit tired right now, so I'm forgetting what I normally do. Forget the first paragraph for now until I get some caffeine in me haha.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 12:34:33 PM by FuzzGNU »

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #4806 on: March 31, 2022, 12:56:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I actually used to do this.
Now I mark them 1-4 starting from the top left going clock wise, every time I set up a new board or clean bearings they go 1 rotation  clockwise. Once 1 gets back to its original spot, then I flip them.

One reason I like classics is by the time it’s time to flip them, all the graphics have worn off.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4807 on: March 31, 2022, 02:19:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah it should work just fine. But now you're making me question what I know about coning with you saying you turn them inside out AND criss cross them... I'll have to look into that.

Which asymetrical wheels are you rocking?

The only asymmetrical wheel I've ridden were OJ mini combos. I didn't realize they were asymmetrical until I moved onto my next set of wheels haha. I had the graphics inward which is actually how I would have ridden them if I knew they were assymetrical. Lucky me.

Edit: I'm a bit tired right now, so I'm forgetting what I normally do. Forget the first paragraph for now until I get some caffeine in me haha.

IDK, it could be overkill but I've always had good luck with it. Now that I think about it, I don't flip my asymmetrical cruiser wheels when I rotate them and they're fine, but I don't try and power slide or revert on them.

Right now I'm running some crazy Slime Balls that are conical on the outside and kind of radial on the inside. Really liking the shape a lot, but the fact that it breaks my rotation routine fucks with me. I've also been skating them for mere days so I don't know why I am stressing about this.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4808 on: March 31, 2022, 03:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wheels aren't going to teach you technique, but if you just want the maximum of slipperiness get stf 103a/83b wheels.
And if that's not enough, try them out on wet ground. Stay safe
[close]
Definitely a technique issue, not equipment. Maybe check out some longboarder stuff on YouTube- those fools slide shit most skaters would consider impossible.
[close]
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaE5X4xlUNh/?utm_medium=copy_link

What a great vid. Thanks man.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4809 on: March 31, 2022, 04:51:54 PM »

Practice comes first, but as people have already said Bones STFs 103a helped me out tons with power slides.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4810 on: March 31, 2022, 09:11:50 PM »

Bones STF 103 - preferably a V3, V4, or V5.
Spitfire F4 101 - conical (not conical full) or some classics.

Both of these slide well, but not only that, they respond to your weight/foot movement to initiate the slide. Some wheels are sluggish to respond, but these will go if you want em or stay if you don't.
Super Champion Fun Zone

JK42

« Reply #4811 on: April 04, 2022, 06:11:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Both of these slide well, but not only that, they respond to your weight/foot movement to initiate the slide. Some wheels are sluggish to respond, but these will go if you want em or stay if you don't.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciated, and you reckon defo the 103a over the 99a for the STFs?...not gonna shake all my fillings loose on the mean streets?

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4812 on: April 04, 2022, 07:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciated, and you reckon defo the 103a over the 99a for the STFs?...not gonna shake all my fillings loose on the mean streets?

STF 103A are definitely rattling/unpleasant/slow ride on rough streets (like any other very hard wheels) but if you want slide-ability they will slide, you can't go wrong with them or F4 101. When you get better technique you will be able to do power slides on any wheels, it will just require more effort to break into slide.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4813 on: April 05, 2022, 01:34:46 AM »
^ if you are worried about teeth rattling hardness: Bones 99 STFs or Spitfire F4 99 achieve a solid slide while maintaining grip and just enough softness.

I'm riding 101 F4 Conicals right now and I love them for slides but I do miss the slightly better traction of a 99.
Super Champion Fun Zone

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4814 on: April 05, 2022, 02:20:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

STF 103A are definitely rattling/unpleasant/slow ride on rough streets (like any other very hard wheels) but if you want slide-ability they will slide, you can't go wrong with them or F4 101. When you get better technique you will be able to do power slides on any wheels, it will just require more effort to break into slide.

This. STF 103a is my favorite wheel on clean surfaces... they are so fast and slidey as hell in the best way. SO fun!

But, your feet will go numb from riding down even slightly shitty streets. Definitely not a transportation wheel. If you're driving to clean spots and parks, they skate like a dream.

F4 99a have been treating me well. A good compromise wheel. I have some STF 99a in line that I've yet to try. If they are anything like STF 103a I will love them, but from what I've heard, they are pretty sticky which I would not be a fan of.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #4815 on: April 05, 2022, 03:37:15 AM »
Yeah I retired my stf 99a after just a few sessions they are a bit sticky and I didn't enjoy them that much on even slightly rough surfaces

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #4816 on: April 05, 2022, 04:34:28 AM »
Yeah I retired my stf 99a after just a few sessions they are a bit sticky and I didn't enjoy them that much on even slightly rough surfaces
I tried stf 99a on a friends board and when being new they sucked a lot, too grippy, but when tried them a couple of months later they felt pretty good. I skate steet only and the terrain sometimes is rough, so i ride f4 99 and loophole but if had to choose between bones 103 and 99 i would go for the 103 with wider contact patch (v4, v5 or evetually v2).

JK42

« Reply #4817 on: April 05, 2022, 04:46:15 AM »
So I bit the bullet and got some STF 103s V5 shape ordered.....plus some Bones Reds, as your wheels and bearings have to match right? Can't be running orange Bronson's with a Bones wheel!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4818 on: April 05, 2022, 06:44:21 AM »
So I bit the bullet and got some STF 103s V5 shape ordered.....plus some Bones Reds, as your wheels and bearings have to match right? Can't be running orange Bronson's with a Bones wheel!

I see Bones' marketing has succeeded.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #4819 on: April 05, 2022, 07:59:41 AM »
Any suggestions for a kind of hybrid cruiser, like in the middle of a standard hard wheel and something like a 78a? I've got some old spitfire 80hd, and I want something a bit more skateable as those are pretty bouncy. I want something soft enough I can use for transportation, but still hard enough to slide around bs 180s or do slappy nose slides. Thing something you'd cruise around the neighborhood on, but still be able to roll up to a spot and feel comfortable skating normally.

Right now I'm eyeing some OJ keyframes and slimeball snot rockets. I've had some cheep mini logos that were like 90a, and they worked decent for what I wanted, but they were really cheap and slow feeling.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4820 on: April 05, 2022, 08:24:42 AM »
Any suggestions for a kind of hybrid cruiser, like in the middle of a standard hard wheel and something like a 78a? I've got some old spitfire 80hd, and I want something a bit more skateable as those are pretty bouncy. I want something soft enough I can use for transportation, but still hard enough to slide around bs 180s or do slappy nose slides. Thing something you'd cruise around the neighborhood on, but still be able to roll up to a spot and feel comfortable skating normally.

Right now I'm eyeing some OJ keyframes and slimeball snot rockets. I've had some cheep mini logos that were like 90a, and they worked decent for what I wanted, but they were really cheap and slow feeling.

The NFG 95a crust formula are a good option. I've got them set up right now and they roll smooth and faster than the key frame but somehow still slide like a harder wheel. The best "all terrain" wheel out imo.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #4821 on: April 05, 2022, 08:28:32 AM »

i rolled around on the minilogo 95s and they were soft enough to roll smooth on not so smooth ground while still being hard enough to slide, although the slides took some work. they definitely feel much better than the 90s

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4822 on: April 05, 2022, 08:44:58 AM »

The second round of 99a STFs are too soft/grippy (especially compared to the first 99a EZ streets, those were perfect).

Smooth Plaza or park STF 103 (101 spit if that's your thing) or OJ Elites (Ricta 101a as well but I'd be more cautious about flatspots on smooth surfaces). SPF on moderate park tranny, OJ Elites on glassy tranny (as hard and fast as SPF but a bit grippier...SPF can get glassy at speed on shiny crete).

Everything else? 99a Spits or 101s if you can handle it. 103A STFs are most unforgiving on rough ass terrain.

I bounce back and forth as I like to bluntslide (curbs) and find I'm more consistent with 101/103.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:42:08 PM by Xen »

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4823 on: April 05, 2022, 08:47:58 AM »

95a or 97a ojs/slime balls- the classic formula. 97a F4. 92-97 Speed Lab. Rainskates, but their sizes & shapes are limited in softer duros. Size matters, too. Go as big as you can stand. 56-58 in a 95-97 is kinda Goldilocks for me.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4824 on: April 05, 2022, 08:51:58 AM »

G-Slides?
A few pages back I gave a quick review of them. I can skate them like a normal wheel. They kind of slide too. I didn’t have any issues with tailslides or noseslides with them
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4825 on: April 05, 2022, 09:57:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
G-Slides?
A few pages back I gave a quick review of them. I can skate them like a normal wheel. They kind of slide too. I didn’t have any issues with tailslides or noseslides with them

Set G-slides up on a board for gf and our toddler. They feel really nice. He hates riding on my board because mine is louder and vibrates more, so much so that he constantly questions why I’m riding a board that isn’t as good as his.
I haven’t really skated them, but they still feel like wheels, where as many cruisers feel too different. The key will be the longevity.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4826 on: April 05, 2022, 02:10:26 PM »
Anyone know what's up with NFG MFG and why their website and Insta are gone?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4827 on: April 05, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »

Hmmm weird... Think they got bought out or are rebranding? No idea.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4828 on: April 05, 2022, 10:46:36 PM »
had my third short session on the loophole 54 v shapes today. still not really into em, I find them super grippy, especially considering how they are still relatively unforgiving on rough pave.

will give em another shot or two because i really want to like them. getting bored of only looking at f4 when i wheel shop.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4829 on: April 06, 2022, 07:25:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hmmm weird... Think they got bought out or are rebranding? No idea.

hoping it's a rebrand or something similar, but ehh idk. i actually called and left a message yesterday lol, would be super bummed if they up and disappeared like that