Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797528 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6750 on: August 17, 2023, 11:24:04 PM »
Can someone advise me on wheels? Currently in my first bout of wheel madness.

Usually i’ve just been someone who rides classics. I think the last 4 wheels have all been classics/classic shapes. I finally decided to switch it up as my skating has changed, and I wanted to experiment what would be more optimal. before my current wheels I was using 101 Ez edge oj wheels. Really liked those

I tried OJ 101 Elite Hardline (conical shape) for better lock in on grinds. Little did i know, I do not like the way they lock in at all. It’s almost too locked in if that makes sense. I don’t like the square edge for these reasons. I also noticed it’s a lot easier to hang up on 5-0 fakie and other tricks where you’re using heel/toe pressure to back in a ramp. Haven’t tried slappies yet but the square edge has me worried. Doesn’t slide as well.

So i’m thinking I still want to try a wheel that’s wider than a classic shape, but not as wide as a conical full type shape. Any suggestions? I was looking at radials and the regular conicals, but i don’t know much about other brands. Maybe I’m naive that the regular conicals would be that much different but it looks pretty skinny.

I’m a transition skater, smaller stuff, no huge bowls or vert. But lots of tight transition and the occasional flip tricks.

I would try the Radials. They're wider than the Classics but not too conical-shaped. In my opinion they're a very good all-around wheel.

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6751 on: August 18, 2023, 08:59:15 AM »
I think it's time to try some Dragons finally. My super juice minis just got a huge chunk out of them riding downhill. Luckily nothing happened. I've barely ridden these 20hrs total and only cruising, no tricks at all. I'm kinda over the OJs now since I've had two sets to go unskateable in short time.  Dragons seem like good choice for my next wheel since I'm looking for an all-round wheel. I'm considering getting the rat bones shape...

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #6752 on: August 18, 2023, 02:16:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Usually i’ve just been someone who rides classics. I think the last 4 wheels have all been classics/classic shapes. I finally decided to switch it up as my skating has changed, and I wanted to experiment what would be more optimal. before my current wheels I was using 101 Ez edge oj wheels. Really liked those

I tried OJ 101 Elite Hardline (conical shape) for better lock in on grinds. Little did i know, I do not like the way they lock in at all. It’s almost too locked in if that makes sense. I don’t like the square edge for these reasons. I also noticed it’s a lot easier to hang up on 5-0 fakie and other tricks where you’re using heel/toe pressure to back in a ramp. Haven’t tried slappies yet but the square edge has me worried. Doesn’t slide as well.

So i’m thinking I still want to try a wheel that’s wider than a classic shape, but not as wide as a conical full type shape. Any suggestions? I was looking at radials and the regular conicals, but i don’t know much about other brands. Maybe I’m naive that the regular conicals would be that much different but it looks pretty skinny.

I’m a transition skater, smaller stuff, no huge bowls or vert. But lots of tight transition and the occasional flip tricks.
[close]

I would try the Radials. They're wider than the Classics but not too conical-shaped. In my opinion they're a very good all-around wheel.

Vouching for radial fulls

I'm a big fan of the Elite 101s, love the shape and they feel super fun and wild on the super smooth crete at the newest park in town. The shape did have some quirks that made certain moves harder, as was mentioned.

I picked up 56mm Radial Fulls 97a and they're my favorite wheel all around (probably will get 54mm next time). I'm terrified of pivot fakie, but they lock-in and out of similar tricks beautifully (hurricanes, nosepicks), whereas I couldn't get these moves consistent on the hardline shape.

They definitely feel pretty bulky though
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6753 on: August 18, 2023, 04:14:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm a big fan of the Elite 101s, love the shape and they feel super fun and wild on the super smooth crete at the newest park in town. The shape did have some quirks that made certain moves harder, as was mentioned.

I picked up 56mm Radial Fulls 97a and they're my favorite wheel all around (probably will get 54mm next time). I'm terrified of pivot fakie, but they lock-in and out of similar tricks beautifully (hurricanes, nosepicks), whereas I couldn't get these moves consistent on the hardline shape.

What size / width trucks are you both using?

* Mamba 149s (same as me) I see from previous posts.

I put Radial Full 58 and then 54 mm sizes on my 149s and both just felt too wide for the trucks, but they work a lot better on wider trucks, maybe more so just the overall proportions look more normal to me.  That is funny too considering I prefer bigger and wider wheels in general, but it messed with my timing and placement when I would go to lock into any grinds, even the smaller 54 mm width still being 38 mm wide, compared to most others which are around 34 mm wide in the same 54 mm diameter.

The Radials (normal ones that is) are pretty much the middle ground between Classic shapes and any of the wider more bulky wheels, so I can easily ride the 54, 55 or even 56 mm sizes on smaller boards without feeling like they are too wide for the overall setup, be it on 149s or smaller like 144 or 139 widths too.

I would usually have the nicely worn in 56 mm or worn down 58 mm Classics on my usual boards, as well as the Classic Full shaped wheels, but as they are not available take those out of the equation for now, but the 54 mm Classic Full is a really comfortable wheel right from go for me.

For any of the wider profile wheels, I have to round off the edges a bit more with an angle grinder just to make them feel more "normal" for me, also more transition based, so finding something with a locking in effect is actually not at all what I want, even though a wider surface area works well for me.  Unless you have wheels you don't want or don't mind messing up a few, I wouldn't recommend taking a grinder to them, but I know other people who have and they have worked out well, once they got the hang of it.

It comes down to personal preference really, so if you lke the sharper edge, over the rounder edge or vice versa, I would be sticking with certain shapes that go along with that wheel profile, more so than trying to slog through sets of wheels that just don't work for you.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6754 on: August 19, 2023, 03:45:08 AM »
I think it's time to try some Dragons finally. My super juice minis just got a huge chunk out of them riding downhill. Luckily nothing happened. I've barely ridden these 20hrs total and only cruising, no tricks at all. I'm kinda over the OJs now since I've had two sets to go unskateable in short time.  Dragons seem like good choice for my next wheel since I'm looking for an all-round wheel. I'm considering getting the rat bones shape...

It depends on what you want. I jumped on the Dragon train (I have the 55mm V4 shape) and agree there is nothing even close in terms of all-around performance. There is definitely some clever shit in those wheels. As many have said, they slide almost as well as hard wheels and grip almost like soft wheels. They still roll well on rough terrain too. But they don't really feel or sound that soft if that makes sense, and that's both positive and negative. I was previously riding Ricta Clouds (92A) and those are much softer feeling/quieter, there's less feedback through the board and while they might not be any faster on shitty ground than the Dragons, they make it feel smoother and more relaxed. The same is true of the OJs (85a, I think) I had before that. For reference, I'm mostly skating in the mountains in Switzerland, there are lots of cobblestones, bad concrete, death cracks, etc.

I do wish there was a softer version of Dragon Formula that kept some of the slide but maybe 85a or something like that.

pops

« Reply #6755 on: August 19, 2023, 04:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It depends on what you want. I jumped on the Dragon train (I have the 55mm V4 shape) and agree there is nothing even close in terms of all-around performance. There is definitely some clever shit in those wheels. As many have said, they slide almost as well as hard wheels and grip almost like soft wheels. They still roll well on rough terrain too. But they don't really feel or sound that soft if that makes sense, and that's both positive and negative. I was previously riding Ricta Clouds (92A) and those are much softer feeling/quieter, there's less feedback through the board and while they might not be any faster on shitty ground than the Dragons, they make it feel smoother and more relaxed. The same is true of the OJs (85a, I think) I had before that. For reference, I'm mostly skating in the mountains in Switzerland, there are lots of cobblestones, bad concrete, death cracks, etc.

I do wish there was a softer version of Dragon Formula that kept some of the slide but maybe 85a or something like that.

Dragons kinda sound like what I've wanted for some time. Something between a cruiser and your regular harder skate wheels. I was on 97 spits but they're too hard and not really that special except for their grip. I like to go fast, cruise around and pull some tricks in between. I love to ride hills, too. I barely ever just stop to a spot to skate it for hours but commute from spot to spot and skate whatever is on the way. I was into the Rat Bones shape because it reminded of the Oj Super Juice / Spit Radial Full shapes I like. I tried some Keyframes before (87a) but they're not that fast even. I've heard Dragons do everything better than those. I would skate nothing but Super Juices maybe but they just dont last that long for me.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #6756 on: August 19, 2023, 05:10:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The dragon formula was originally derived from their downhill program, where they were trying to create the perfect soft whee that grips when needed but also has a stable slide.

They wheels are fatter, but if you are ok with that the hardest ones are 82a, and get softer from there

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-snakes-skateboard-wheels-66mm-82a-4pk-yellow

And not the same formula as the dragons, but I be heard great things about the g-slides, which come in more traditional wheels sizes
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6757 on: August 19, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »
Dragons kinda sound like what I've wanted for some time. Something between a cruiser and your regular harder skate wheels. I was on 97 spits but they're too hard and not really that special except for their grip. I like to go fast, cruise around and pull some tricks in between. I love to ride hills, too. I barely ever just stop to a spot to skate it for hours but commute from spot to spot and skate whatever is on the way. I was into the Rat Bones shape because it reminded of the Oj Super Juice / Spit Radial Full shapes I like. I tried some Keyframes before (87a) but they're not that fast even. I've heard Dragons do everything better than those. I would skate nothing but Super Juices maybe but they just dont last that long for me.

Sounds like the Dragons would be perfect then. They're a genuine gamechanger for what you've described. I haven't tried the Rat Bones shape, I wouldn't want something that wide for doing tricks personally but I like regular street width wheels generally.

The dragon formula was originally derived from their downhill program, where they were trying to create the perfect soft whee that grips when needed but also has a stable slide.

They wheels are fatter, but if you are ok with that the hardest ones are 82a, and get softer from there

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-snakes-skateboard-wheels-66mm-82a-4pk-yellow

And not the same formula as the dragons, but I be heard great things about the g-slides, which come in more traditional wheels sizes

The G-Slides are interesting, I wish they did a regular street wheel width, but I might give them a shot regardless because the Clouds really don't want to slide (during tricks at least) in the softer duros.

pops

« Reply #6758 on: August 19, 2023, 10:56:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like the Dragons would be perfect then. They're a genuine gamechanger for what you've described. I haven't tried the Rat Bones shape, I wouldn't want something that wide for doing tricks personally but I like regular street width wheels generally.

Expand Quote

[close]

The G-Slides are interesting, I wish they did a regular street wheel width, but I might give them a shot regardless because the Clouds really don't want to slide (during tricks at least) in the softer duros.

Understandable if you're more oriented to doing tricks. I might get a slimmer shape for my other setup if I like these wider Dragons.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6759 on: August 20, 2023, 09:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Here’s some relevant info:

The Rat Bone Dragons are heavily asymmetrical. They stick out like a quarter inch past the axle nut, and they don’t cover any hanger on the inside. The V6 58mm Dragon is your best bet for a normal shaped wheel.

On rough terrain, Dragons actually break free into a slide a lot more easily than I thought they would. Just be careful if you’re going to try and use them the same as a 78-80A traditional cruiser wheel right out the gate because you’ll probably have to adjust a bit to the way they work.

G-Slides ride pretty nice and they come in the Rough Rider shape (similar to Super Juices), but I think they’re more of a downhill product so you have to be flying to really get a slide out of them. They feel pretty grippy otherwise, especially once they’re broken in.

pops

« Reply #6760 on: August 20, 2023, 11:07:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Here’s some relevant info:

The Rat Bone Dragons are heavily asymmetrical. They stick out like a quarter inch past the axle nut, and they don’t cover any hanger on the inside. The V6 58mm Dragon is your best bet for a normal shaped wheel.

On rough terrain, Dragons actually break free into a slide a lot more easily than I thought they would. Just be careful if you’re going to try and use them the same as a 78-80A traditional cruiser wheel right out the gate because you’ll probably have to adjust a bit to the way they work.

G-Slides ride pretty nice and they come in the Rough Rider shape (similar to Super Juices), but I think they’re more of a downhill product so you have to be flying to really get a slide out of them. They feel pretty grippy otherwise, especially once they’re broken in.

The reason I went for the Rat Bones shape is because I used to run a cruiser setup with trucks being 8.5 - 8.75in range and boards being at least 9 inches wide so the wider wheels with a bit of offset work great.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6761 on: August 20, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
Anybody got a spare ricta cloud 92a? I lost one a while back while cruising on Tensors atgs. Rethreaded the axle thinking it was fixed and boom just lost 1 Dragon again.

I think its about time I give those ass trucks away

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6762 on: August 20, 2023, 04:51:24 PM »
Anybody got a spare ricta cloud 92a? I lost one a while back while cruising on Tensors atgs. Rethreaded the axle thinking it was fixed and boom just lost 1 Dragon again.

I think its about time I give those ass trucks away

Is it not just replacing the axle nuts, more than anything?  If any nut has lost the nyloc connection that keeps it nice and tight without needing anything else, it will definitely come loose very easily.  New nuts stay on (usually) even on very messed up axles, after rethreading or whatever, I would usually put new nuts on if the axles or the old nuts were very messed up.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6763 on: August 20, 2023, 05:16:41 PM »
I did swap it out because I lost it. It's only ever happened on these trucks so I'd rather cut my losses. It's shit.

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6764 on: August 22, 2023, 05:03:34 PM »
how do I rotate asymmetrical lock in Fulls?

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6765 on: August 23, 2023, 03:18:16 AM »

that's my strategy:

frontside toeside wheel <- new wheel
frontside heelside wheel <- new wheel
backside toeside wheel <- new wheel
backside heelside wheel <- new wheel

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6766 on: August 23, 2023, 03:58:26 AM »
Used to be a badge of honor to cone out your huge pink reflex wheels doin' fat slash carves down hills.

rikki

« Reply #6767 on: August 23, 2023, 04:16:26 AM »
Coning the front wheels out by tic tacing was the SHIT.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #6768 on: August 23, 2023, 04:28:13 AM »
The same way you rotate all other wheels. No need to flip it inside out. Just choose either clockwise or anticlockwise and stick to it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6769 on: August 23, 2023, 07:08:32 AM »

It comes down to how someone skates.

I just got a set of F4 back from someone who had never rotated them, so the starting 56 mm, now 55 (front heel) 54 and solidly coned (front toe) 52 (back heel) and 51 slightly coned (back toe)

Wow so actually if you just flip the trucks around, and then turn the wheels inside out, you dont need to change the position of the wheels at all and oyu should end up with the most even wear... lol for some reason i flipped the front and back wheels around after flipping my trucks, i dont think that will make a huge difference in the end. but it does seem like back wheels get worn more than front (moar mannys!)

pops

« Reply #6770 on: August 23, 2023, 11:15:58 AM »
Love the dragons after riding them a few times now, they roll over everything much better than F4s. Havent tried nose/tailslides yet but everything else about them rules.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6771 on: August 23, 2023, 11:22:11 AM »
Saw oj releasing the new ”chubbies” wheels. Thinking about getting them, but i’ve never ridden oj’s. How does the original 99a oj formula compare to 99a f4 urethane? I’ve ridden sml ag formula and dialtone, and they didn’t feel bad, actually liked them, but then got some f4 again and wondered why i’ve even ridden anything else.

So; how’s the slide and speed on oj’s original formula compared to f4 99a, and are they even on par with sml ag formula/dialtone 99a, which are made by creative urethanes, i assume?

Probably will get them anyways :D

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #6772 on: August 23, 2023, 02:32:33 PM »
Saw oj releasing the new ”chubbies” wheels. Thinking about getting them, but i’ve never ridden oj’s. How does the original 99a oj formula compare to 99a f4 urethane? I’ve ridden sml ag formula and dialtone, and they didn’t feel bad, actually liked them, but then got some f4 again and wondered why i’ve even ridden anything else.

So; how’s the slide and speed on oj’s original formula compared to f4 99a, and are they even on par with sml ag formula/dialtone 99a, which are made by creative urethanes, i assume?

I have some OJ Elite in the Hardline shape. I think they slide easier than F4 wheels. Idk, Spitfires seem a little grippier to me and a tad bit slower. But they feel better on rougher ground. I think they have a softer wheel.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #6773 on: August 23, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

What size / width trucks are you both using?

* Mamba 149s (same as me) I see from previous posts.

I put Radial Full 58 and then 54 mm sizes on my 149s and both just felt too wide for the trucks, but they work a lot better on wider trucks, maybe more so just the overall proportions look more normal to me.  That is funny too considering I prefer bigger and wider wheels in general, but it messed with my timing and placement when I would go to lock into any grinds, even the smaller 54 mm width still being 38 mm wide, compared to most others which are around 34 mm wide in the same 54 mm diameter.

The Radials (normal ones that is) are pretty much the middle ground between Classic shapes and any of the wider more bulky wheels, so I can easily ride the 54, 55 or even 56 mm sizes on smaller boards without feeling like they are too wide for the overall setup, be it on 149s or smaller like 144 or 139 widths too.

I would usually have the nicely worn in 56 mm or worn down 58 mm Classics on my usual boards, as well as the Classic Full shaped wheels, but as they are not available take those out of the equation for now, but the 54 mm Classic Full is a really comfortable wheel right from go for me.

For any of the wider profile wheels, I have to round off the edges a bit more with an angle grinder just to make them feel more "normal" for me, also more transition based, so finding something with a locking in effect is actually not at all what I want, even though a wider surface area works well for me.  Unless you have wheels you don't want or don't mind messing up a few, I wouldn't recommend taking a grinder to them, but I know other people who have and they have worked out well, once they got the hang of it.

It comes down to personal preference really, so if you lke the sharper edge, over the rounder edge or vice versa, I would be sticking with certain shapes that go along with that wheel profile, more so than trying to slog through sets of wheels that just don't work for you.

My radial fulls are on AF1 66's, bolted to ~9" Blk Lbl egg

So saying the wheels are bulky is maybe a bit misleading considering the board is most of a tank haha!

Love the shape, probably just need 54s - I think the "footprint" is my favorite part of the radial fulls

(The mindy's are set-up with worn down 54mm Elites)
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6774 on: August 23, 2023, 04:33:44 PM »

Had a lot of clearance OJ wheels in the original and elite formula come through my hands back when they were still USA made and they skate just fine, no issues at all for the most part, but they do feel a little more on the softer / more grippy side and they do tend to get flatspots, although that seemed to happen more to some people than others.  People have said they are still the same formula and feel as these older ones for the current "original formula" wheels that are out now, but I haven't tried any to see what they are like.

Sure I will always skate Formula Four wheels over anything else, but the OJs are a nice wheel, feeling decent especially in the bigger wider shapes, which I still have on some boards, so I would not say to anyone not to ride them.

That new shape looks on trend for the wider wheel market, the two main ones being 52 x 36.5 and 54 x 37.5 mm as well as the Milton 56 mm size.  Much like my Radial Full shaped wheels just looking at the profile.

https://ojwheels.com/

rikki

« Reply #6775 on: August 24, 2023, 02:24:08 AM »
I like the OJ Elite formula especially in dusty indoor parks / on plywood. A bit less slippery IMO than F4 while being pretty much just as fast. They're not F4 (nothing is), but they're not bad wheels at all.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #6776 on: August 24, 2023, 08:10:49 AM »
OJ's Elite 99a turned into my favorite wheel for smooth transition parks. Not so much for street stuff. But two setups are allowed when you're old.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6777 on: August 24, 2023, 10:24:58 AM »
The OG OJ urethane is grippy soft and slow; wouldn't touch them again if they were free. Sort of like any generic wheel that comes out of Creative/board brand wheel.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6778 on: August 25, 2023, 12:51:43 PM »
Just wanted to drop by and tell that man i love Dragons

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #6779 on: August 25, 2023, 07:13:40 PM »
Just wanted to drop by and tell that man i love Dragons
Did you mean to post this in a Game of Thrones fan page forum?
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"