Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364411 times)

PhantomBased

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #450 on: May 13, 2021, 06:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Nine Club has been a source of joy to me in these trying times. IDGAF. They have their inconsistencies, whatever, but I really appreciate that anyone decided to do what they are doing. Some of the interviews have been utterly fantastic. It's worth the effort.
[close]

So your definition of fantastic is mediocre?
[close]

Nope.

Sounds like it to me ;)

PhantomBased

« Reply #451 on: May 13, 2021, 06:35:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i like the show but i wish Crob would stop trying to be funny so much. because hes bad at it. id love to see radrat or wes kremer on the show
[close]

Wes Kremer was on the bunt and it was the most empty headed california bro idiot conversation I've ever heard
[close]

I remember being excited to listen but that dude seemed totally fried
[close]

there was an interview in i think thrasher where he was interviewed by evan smith and i could physically feel my brain degrading as i read it
[close]

I swear at times he has moments of clarity where you can tell he’s actually pretty smart. He just enjoys the fried life.

Nah he’s actually just a dumb ass

PhantomBased

« Reply #452 on: May 13, 2021, 06:45:02 AM »
Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate (and might have made this point before, or just thought about it, i forget) but i think the nine club without Chris would have flopped out the gate. His enthusiasm keeps it from dragging, he keeps the pace moving and provides contrast to the other hosts, sure he's annoying and i think sometimes he plays dumb so the guest can tell a well known story in their own words, adding minutes and potential revenue to each episode. I also think he often really is using some dry humor that flies under the radar. If the nine club was geared to what we slappers want to see it would have less than 2% of it's current viewership, and wouldn't have the clout to get the range of guests they do. His tv show presenter schtick makes it more palatable for normies. Clicks from normies pay bills.

Without him it would just be:

Kelly: hi guest, glad you could make i- Wow! That's so cool!
Eldy: I'm uhhhhhh dipshit
Kelly: laughs *sips milk*
Steezus: why am i even here
Rog: *sneers, sips Stella*
Guest: ummmm

If you call a host that just guesses at his guests like he doesn’t know a damn thing about them, ummm so wait you used to ride for that one company right ?
Shit like that just makes him out to have zero respect for the people he’s interviewing. Do your ducking research if you’re going to interview Lance for gods sake

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #453 on: May 13, 2021, 07:31:04 AM »
classic moment when Eldy tells Steezus he will hug him after the show, and then later urges everyone to be safe.....I like these guys but they are as dumb as a sack of spanners........( or wrenches if you prefer )

side note - I think Kelly has a decent chance of making the jump to regular TV sports stuff......the camera likes him.

wait why is he dumb for offering a hug

like they share a room constantly, i hope you dont mean for covid risk you total moron

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #454 on: May 13, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »
yeah i mean IF they payed him, cool. Action Bronson was 95% of the network at one point and he wasnt getting paid. even if they did pay rick it was likely a fraction of what hes owed. Vice cannot continue without tons of interns doing work for free bc theyve been convinced it will "get them exposure." and idk if you ever watched it, but that show fucking sucked. tons of potential but vice managed to fuck it up, the one episode with the kids who think they are ghost hunters was like watching someone larping out a southpark scene making fun of ghosthunter shows. even mccrank was making jokes about them being weirdo spacecase foodcourt kooks, and that dudes the most PMA out.

dont remember where i read it, but basically mccranks take on the whole thing was that vice pitched it like a "traveling around the states to skate" but what it turned into was meeting up with kids who really miss specific foodcourts, and theye not joking.

Also: how is it possible to have literal days worth of footage of gerwer in a car making jokes telling stories with rick, and make it not good.  howd they even do that? show sucks vice sucks mccrank and gerwer rule

free max b

in his nine club rick mentions that Vice wanted it more skate-focussed, but rick objected saying that wouldn't really be something he was interested in. ill go look up at what point he says it in the episode.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #455 on: May 13, 2021, 07:49:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate (and might have made this point before, or just thought about it, i forget) but i think the nine club without Chris would have flopped out the gate. His enthusiasm keeps it from dragging, he keeps the pace moving and provides contrast to the other hosts, sure he's annoying and i think sometimes he plays dumb so the guest can tell a well known story in their own words, adding minutes and potential revenue to each episode. I also think he often really is using some dry humor that flies under the radar. If the nine club was geared to what we slappers want to see it would have less than 2% of it's current viewership, and wouldn't have the clout to get the range of guests they do. His tv show presenter schtick makes it more palatable for normies. Clicks from normies pay bills.

[close]

If you call a host that just guesses at his guests like he doesn’t know a damn thing about them, ummm so wait you used to ride for that one company right ?
Shit like that just makes him out to have zero respect for the people he’s interviewing. Do your ducking research if you’re going to interview Lance for gods sake

Agreed, I can't listen to a podcast where the host has done zero research and fumbles through the entire interview. I've given the Nine Club a few chances but everything about It is so painful.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #456 on: May 13, 2021, 07:55:07 AM »
yeah i mean IF they payed him, cool. Action Bronson was 95% of the network at one point and he wasnt getting paid. even if they did pay rick it was likely a fraction of what hes owed. Vice cannot continue without tons of interns doing work for free bc theyve been convinced it will "get them exposure." and idk if you ever watched it, but that show fucking sucked. tons of potential but vice managed to fuck it up, the one episode with the kids who think they are ghost hunters was like watching someone larping out a southpark scene making fun of ghosthunter shows. even mccrank was making jokes about them being weirdo spacecase foodcourt kooks, and that dudes the most PMA out.

dont remember where i read it, but basically mccranks take on the whole thing was that vice pitched it like a "traveling around the states to skate" but what it turned into was meeting up with kids who really miss specific foodcourts, and theye not joking.

Also: how is it possible to have literal days worth of footage of gerwer in a car making jokes telling stories with rick, and make it not good.  howd they even do that? show sucks vice sucks mccrank and gerwer rule

free max b

Amazing that Vice is having trouble paying people considering how high the CIA’s overall budget runs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #457 on: May 13, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
i literally only watch it to hear kelly's laugh and i know it's sad but i'm actually not exaggerating
[close]

Kelly’s dumb person laugh? Lol okay

As opposed to a smart person laugh?
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #458 on: May 13, 2021, 08:04:43 AM »
At least the Nine Club showed us that && is among us. He was even going to put && on his deck, but thought it looked to much like 88, which would be confusing.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #459 on: May 13, 2021, 08:31:06 AM »
So turns out Roj left because he was in a deep depression and was suicidal. I wish the best for the guy, Good to see he is doing better now. Roj, Kelly and jeron are the only dudes on the show I care to listen to

roj always has da real skate trivia on lock,
that's rough to hear, hope he is doing better.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #460 on: May 13, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
they are essentially corporate media without a corporate backer, they are afraid to say anything that could upset the establish skateboarding industry, therefore creating a boring and predictable product.

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #461 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
At least the Nine Club showed us that && is among us. He was even going to put && on his deck, but thought it looked to much like 88, which would be confusing.

You're welcome ;)

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #462 on: May 13, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i literally only watch it to hear kelly's laugh and i know it's sad but i'm actually not exaggerating
[close]

Kelly’s dumb person laugh? Lol okay
[close]

As opposed to a smart person laugh?

Rain Man

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #463 on: May 13, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
They had Josh Stewart on a few weeks ago for a stop and chat. I don't normally watch, but I really like him and Theories, so I did.  It was crazy how little they knew about him and TOA, they spent a good portion of the show re-hashing stuff they covered the first time he was on there. Even Josh at one point said something along the lines of "man I should have assigned homework before I came on." It was disappointing.

Get hungry on it!

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #464 on: May 13, 2021, 09:34:04 AM »
Skateline should be turned into an actual interview show. Have Gary and Roger host and hit all the shit talk fly. Hard fact and comedy all in one place.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #465 on: May 13, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »
Skateline should be turned into an actual interview show. Have Gary and Roger host and hit all the shit talk fly. Hard fact and comedy all in one place.

That would be bad, I think he's had some success mainly due to his consistency rather than quality, every week, he never fails after years which is cool. But he really does the Chris Rock/ Chappelle thing waaay to much, his jokes are like 3/10 too annoying at times even for 3 min

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #466 on: May 13, 2021, 10:27:07 AM »

"for today's guest we have Rick Reynolds!"

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #467 on: May 13, 2021, 10:56:00 AM »
I love how the Nine Club has been on for half a decade and

a) People still complain that the show is scared to ask the real questions;

b) People still complain that La Crob doesn't do any research beforehand and

c) La Crob still doesn't do any research beforehand.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #468 on: May 13, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"for today's guest we have Rick Reynolds!"

"thanks for having me, i just came to remind you how you got put on because you credit carded  yourself in one of my movies"

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #469 on: May 13, 2021, 04:07:33 PM »
They had Josh Stewart on a few weeks ago for a stop and chat. I don't normally watch, but I really like him and Theories, so I did.  It was crazy how little they knew about him and TOA, they spent a good portion of the show re-hashing stuff they covered the first time he was on there. Even Josh at one point said something along the lines of "man I should have assigned homework before I came on." It was disappointing.
They live in the SoCal pro-skater bubble. When they were active, they rode for one of the biggest and most respected brands around in the case of Jeron, Eldy, and C-Rob. Outside of Rog, they are pretty oblivious. It's interesting when they have someone from their circle of the crailtap family or who they have a history with.

As for ignoring issues and not asking hard questions. Yes, it would be nice to see someone with a large platform doing that in skating, but you really want Kelly Hart and Chris Roberts attempting to actually be hard hitting journalists. I rarely watch anymore, and I might check it out if they got an interview with Rick Howard or someone who I think would be interesting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 06:25:32 PM by DannyDee »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
If Nine Club asked "hard hitting questions," then they wouldn't have any guests.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2021, 10:56:52 PM »

Not only does he not do any research into their history, he asks like half of the guests how to pronounce their godamn name.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
Re: Wtf is up with the NIKE club
« Reply #472 on: May 15, 2021, 06:26:55 AM »
More like "The Nike Club". Amiright?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #473 on: May 15, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed, I can't listen to a podcast where the host has done zero research and fumbles through the entire interview. I've given the Nine Club a few chances but everything about It is so painful.
I didn't even bother to reread my old statement but i fr can't be fucked with this show anymore. I enjoyed a few of the interviews a few years back but any time I've watched a segment lately to see what they thought of a recent video or part I've enjoyed, it's been annoying trash.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #474 on: May 15, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »
The only good thing that came of this podcast:

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #475 on: May 15, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

Amazing that Vice is having trouble paying people considering how high the CIA’s overall budget runs.

What’s this Vice/CIA stuff? Are vice reporters just CIA operatives or something? I’m interested.

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #476 on: May 15, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
So im wondering? Has anyone here that currently have disagreements with how the podcast is run, has bought it up in their discord or nineclub green room?

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #477 on: May 15, 2021, 08:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

What’s this Vice/CIA stuff? Are vice reporters just CIA operatives or something? I’m interested.
vice has a history of falling in line on certain issues despite playing the rebel. the fact that the proudboys trace back to it is odd and then there's also the drug smuggling ring

PhantomBased

« Reply #478 on: May 17, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »

Just goes to show how shit it is and it’s gotten worse over the years

Beady

• Rep: 6
« Reply #479 on: May 17, 2021, 01:36:11 PM »

The Nine Club - The show that has skaters Slap still talking.