Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128546 times)

Ant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #2070 on: April 03, 2024, 12:36:13 AM »
 Also in my experience wear eye protection.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #2071 on: April 03, 2024, 01:06:14 PM »
Also in my experience wear eye protection.

Yeh, cause drain ain’t nothing to fuck around and find out with.  :)
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2072 on: April 03, 2024, 01:11:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Axel slipped on my damn 149 titaniums.

Guess I'm putting the thunders back on.

I thought axel slip was a thing of the past, or is this just another instance of questionable quality on the titaniums?
[close]

I rode some Indy 144 titaniums for about a year. Some day I realized, I had axle slip on both sides and my wheels always got tight. A few days later the damn axle broke on my front truck and sent me flying. I was so pissed, I took the trucks off and threw them in a bin, didn't even think about taking a photo. Now I am on Thunder 148 Hollow Lights with Indy bushings.

So the axle just snapped off? Is that something that just happens with titanium axles? In all the years I've skated, I've never snapped a solid steel axle.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2073 on: April 03, 2024, 01:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Axel slipped on my damn 149 titaniums.

Guess I'm putting the thunders back on.

I thought axel slip was a thing of the past, or is this just another instance of questionable quality on the titaniums?
[close]

I rode some Indy 144 titaniums for about a year. Some day I realized, I had axle slip on both sides and my wheels always got tight. A few days later the damn axle broke on my front truck and sent me flying. I was so pissed, I took the trucks off and threw them in a bin, didn't even think about taking a photo. Now I am on Thunder 148 Hollow Lights with Indy bushings.
[close]

So the axle just snapped off? Is that something that just happens with titanium axles? In all the years I've skated, I've never snapped a solid steel axle.

Yeah man, the axle snapped off. Right behind the end of the hanger. I've seen 3 or 4 bent axles and at least 2 pairs of broken axles in my friend group. It's not like we are out there hucking the biggest gaps or something. And I only ever saw it on Titanium Indy's for some reason. It can happen but I still think that those things are kinda rare.
IG: @flowterspace

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2074 on: April 03, 2024, 03:21:00 PM »
I haven't skated for 1 week, and I went back into truck madness (my current setup is 8.125 sk8 mafia, 31.4 and 14.25 wb with Indy forged hollows 139) I looked a little on the internet for reviews on trucks that tempted me, i had in mind to go back to lower trucks, but also another brand, telling myself that it would surely be better for certain or certain things, as I had been doing for 5 years and spending my money sometimes for nothing.

I skated today, and there is no other complaint than these indy forged hollows are a cure for me from madness. I find that it complements everything, perfect height, perfect weight. Every time I go back into the madness having an idea to buy other trucks or something, these indy really cure me ahah In July it will be a year since I had them, and to tell you, honestly (Oh my god, I'm afraid I look like a crazy person  ;D),  for 5 years because in my madness I had never kept trucks for a year.. Thank you kindly Ben Degros also for influencing me on this madness ahah

There's nothing to say... Maybe I found the perfect trucks ?

(I spoke above about the kingpin bolt which unscrews itself, I found the solution, I tightened the trucks much tighter, and put wax on the hangar to avoid having a too tight. The problem is gone ! Maybe I should have done that from the start, I think my trucks weren't tight enough but that's because I hated the squeaking and stiffness from the start.)

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2075 on: April 03, 2024, 04:04:28 PM »
I haven't skated for 1 week, and I went back into truck madness (my current setup is 8.125 sk8 mafia, 31.4 and 14.25 wb with Indy forged hollows 139) I looked a little on the internet for reviews on trucks that tempted me, i had in mind to go back to lower trucks, but also another brand, telling myself that it would surely be better for certain or certain things, as I had been doing for 5 years and spending my money sometimes for nothing.

I skated today, and there is no other complaint than these indy forged hollows are a cure for me from madness. I find that it complements everything, perfect height, perfect weight. Every time I go back into the madness having an idea to buy other trucks or something, these indy really cure me ahah In July it will be a year since I had them, and to tell you, honestly (Oh my god, I'm afraid I look like a crazy person  ;D),  for 5 years because in my madness I had never kept trucks for a year.. Thank you kindly Ben Degros also for influencing me on this madness ahah

There's nothing to say... Maybe I found the perfect trucks ?

(I spoke above about the kingpin bolt which unscrews itself, I found the solution, I tightened the trucks much tighter, and put wax on the hangar to avoid having a too tight. The problem is gone ! Maybe I should have done that from the start, I think my trucks weren't tight enough but that's because I hated the squeaking and stiffness from the start.)

I've learned better than to say this out loud lol.

But I hope you have!

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
  • sup dog
« Reply #2076 on: April 04, 2024, 05:26:52 PM »
Speaking of madness… I’m tired of the damned “clicking” from the washer knocking back and forth when I turn.

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2077 on: April 04, 2024, 05:32:30 PM »
Speaking of madness… I’m tired of the damned “clicking” from the washer knocking back and forth when I turn.

Is it the bottom one or the top one clicking for you (or both) at different times?

More often I feel like it is the top one on the nut, as the threaded part of the kingpin causes more movement than the lower solid part, but I have heard of both doing it.

Someone else on here used that sort of product on the nut to washer top as well, which I think worked but I didn't hear anything more about it.

Curious to hear how it goes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2078 on: April 04, 2024, 06:19:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it the bottom one or the top one clicking for you (or both) at different times?

More often I feel like it is the top one on the nut, as the threaded part of the kingpin causes more movement than the lower solid part, but I have heard of both doing it.

Someone else on here used that sort of product on the nut to washer top as well, which I think worked but I didn't hear anything more about it.

Will def check back in to let you know how it goes :)

If the clicking is still there then it certainly is the top washer and at that point, I’ll try a thin nylon washer that I got from hardware store.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2079 on: April 04, 2024, 08:03:45 PM »
Took the plunge and riding some 149 TI (earlier production with the logo on baseplate) after riding Ventures for 2 years.

Gear madness took over and I wanted to try something different for a bit.

Still getting used to the carve and swerve, these trucks slide fast and grind smooth. Let's see how they fare at the slappy session tomorrow.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #2080 on: April 05, 2024, 01:06:13 AM »
So what’s up with the Indy Mids? I’ve only been riding Ace Classic in recent years and I don’t really need new trucks but a shop is selling Mindies for 70% off and I could see myself getting some 159s for a cruiser setup or something. But I can’t recall anyone really praising them in the past?
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2081 on: April 05, 2024, 01:56:09 AM »
So what’s up with the Indy Mids? I’ve only been riding Ace Classic in recent years and I don’t really need new trucks but a shop is selling Mindies for 70% off and I could see myself getting some 159s for a cruiser setup or something. But I can’t recall anyone really praising them in the past?

The kingpin clearance is kinda bad on those. And I recall hearing a lot of people saying that the nut became loose after a few sessions. What’s nice about the Mindies is the height. But 70% off sounds good to be honest. Maybe you can improve those trucks somehow with a regular kingpin?
IG: @flowterspace

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #2082 on: April 05, 2024, 02:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The kingpin clearance is kinda bad on those. And I recall hearing a lot of people saying that the nut became loose after a few sessions. What’s nice about the Mindies is the height. But 70% off sounds good to be honest. Maybe you can improve those trucks somehow with a regular kingpin?
Thanks. It really sounds like a great deal, but since I don’t actually need them maybe they will make some other skater happier.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2083 on: April 05, 2024, 02:41:02 AM »
Mindys popularity tanked after the initial launch, the Tiago Mindy has been deadstock for a lot of online retailers. You can get a pair of the Forged Hollow Mindy for $43.90 off the NHS website which is on par with a Thunder / Venture / Indy Standard.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks?variant=41990083674269
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2084 on: April 05, 2024, 03:47:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks. It really sounds like a great deal, but since I don’t actually need them maybe they will make some other skater happier.

Yeah, pretty much as people have said, the product seemed good, but then more often than not people just couldn't ride them for various reasons, least of which was they were heavier than any other truck on the market, the clearance and height were average at best and lastly the inverted kingpin arrangement ended up with its very own category on the NHS Warranty page, so they definitely knew there was a significant issue with them, even though at first shops and distros didn't want to hear it.

Basically, as per any inverted kingpin setup, sooner or later with enough force the kingpin causes the baseplate and nut to move side to side, widening out the hole and making them unsafe.  Having the kingpin down fully into the baseplate as far as it would go did help with clearance and prevent it moving a little, but for those people who were really smashing them, they didn't last very well at all.  Others have no issues and they are still going strong, but I think those people have not given them half as much of a beating as some other people.

From that, there is a stupid amount of stock still out there, so shops and distros are trying to clear it out, with some really good deals on if you look or find them.

Are they worth it?  Sure, if you are aware of the issues and know what to do if you do have problems, otherwise for a set of trucks you can put risers under and use as a cruiser or even more just a go easy type setup, people shouldn't have any problems at all.  They are still the same geometry so will skate well, just a bit heavier and lower, so smaller wheels, or risers and all is well.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2085 on: April 05, 2024, 05:45:09 AM »
I like MIndy baseplate more because i feel like ypu can get those much looser than regular ones. I like my front truck to rattle and i cant really get regular ones to that without massive bushing fuckery.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2086 on: April 05, 2024, 11:36:37 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed a dozen times in the past 70 pages so I apologize in advanced, but what do you guys do about Indy bushings? I bought those Justin Henry trucks last year and am just getting around to skating them here recently and man the bushing are awful. I've got a handful of sessions in on them now to the point that I'd expect they'd be broken in but they seem to get stuck when I lean one way or the other and just feel generally bad.

Do I just need to break them in more or do you guys swap them out with something softer or what? I ride my trucks a little on the looser side. Primarily rode Thunders growing up and always loved them but had trouble with cracking hangers but I'm tempted to switch back.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2087 on: April 05, 2024, 12:34:55 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed a dozen times in the past 70 pages so I apologize in advanced, but what do you guys do about Indy bushings? I bought those Justin Henry trucks last year and am just getting around to skating them here recently and man the bushing are awful. I've got a handful of sessions in on them now to the point that I'd expect they'd be broken in but they seem to get stuck when I lean one way or the other and just feel generally bad.

Do I just need to break them in more or do you guys swap them out with something softer or what? I ride my trucks a little on the looser side. Primarily rode Thunders growing up and always loved them but had trouble with cracking hangers but I'm tempted to switch back.
Well… complain mostly.

But consider getting an aftermarket Indy bushing that is a different hardness so the nut can be tightened down enough to be flush with the top of kingpin, and still have the loose turn. So either the red or white.

There’s also Bones bushing that works well installed properly with the washer instead of the standard washers from the Indy truck. They blow out quicker. But they immediately feel good.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2088 on: April 05, 2024, 03:52:34 PM »

Current stock Indy bushings are okay for many, but for others like yourself, they feel like shit.

Aftermarket Indy bushings (dumb, they should just come with these instead of the duds from the factory) of all duros feel better and break in far easier/faster.

Depending on how loose/tight you want, look for the color/duro that matches your preference and then from there, pick Conical or Barrel. If you want looser but don't wanna tighten the nut too hard, 92, 94, or 96 can work well.  If you go conical, even better turning/rebound compared to barrel.

TL;DR - Aftermarket Indy Bushings in the 90 or 92 are probably your best bet. Indy's conical shape is closer to Thunder bushings that you're used to.

www.nhsskatedirect.com/collections/independent-trucks-cushions
Super Champion Fun Zone

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2089 on: April 05, 2024, 08:21:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If the clicking is still there then it certainly is the top washer and at that point, I’ll try a thin nylon washer that I got from hardware store.
Had a little seshy.

No clicking. Hooray! 8) (just some squeaking from one bushing.)

The top washer for sure has potential to click… if that starts happening I’m using the JB Weld between the nut and the top washer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2090 on: April 06, 2024, 04:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Had a little seshy.

The top washer for sure has potential to click… if that starts happening I’m using the JB Weld between the nut and the top washer.

Nice!

The most weird thing with bushings doing that is even down to one small turn of the kingpin, so tightening more often than loosening often causes it to bind and more pressure makes it click more often.

That is why sometimes only newer trucks seem to do it, or if you change settings (move the kingpin nut) after how ever long of no clicking, then suddenly it clicks again, or so people have said, which I have also noticed on some occasions.

Putting wax or similar anything on the bushings or inside washers can make everything very mushy or loose feeling, but it also stops clicking too.  Sometimes it is not a good trade off though.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2091 on: April 06, 2024, 06:27:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Had a little seshy.

[close]

Nice!

The most weird thing with bushings doing that is even down to one small turn of the kingpin, so tightening more often than loosening often causes it to bind and more pressure makes it click more often.

That is why sometimes only newer trucks seem to do it, or if you change settings (move the kingpin nut) after how ever long of no clicking, then suddenly it clicks again, or so people have said, which I have also noticed on some occasions.

Putting wax or similar anything on the bushings or inside washers can make everything very mushy or loose feeling, but it also stops clicking too.  Sometimes it is not a good trade off though.

Truth. When I loosened the trucks up to what they are like brand new (washer one or two mils above the kingpin) there wasn’t much clicking.

And when I tried the black bushings with that new truck alignment, they were just TOO stiff, but no clicking!

I wonder why older Indy’s never had this clicking problem.

*I once added thin nylon washers to top and bottom to eliminate the friction between metal and metal… it changes the truck geometry that 1mm of lift (top doesn’t matter only bottom)  so the perfectionist in me doesn’t like to do that…

It would be a perfect solution to eliminate the clicking, if there existed a sub-mm nylon washer. I’m taking half a mm or less. Paper thin.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 06:51:16 AM by JM »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2092 on: April 07, 2024, 12:30:20 AM »
Can anyone confirm how much Indy Mid Hollow Forged pushes out the WB?

Indy Mid / Standard - 3"
Indy Forged - 3.15"
Indy Mid Hollow Forged - ?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

logjammin

• Rep: 345
« Reply #2093 on: April 07, 2024, 12:35:39 PM »
Anyone who's skated anything from 8.25-9" trucks tried 215's? I'm considering trying some but idk if it's gonna feel super weird with all the hanger space on curbs/coping. Or maybe it will feel amazing?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #2094 on: April 07, 2024, 01:40:11 PM »
Anyone who's skated anything from 8.25-9" trucks tried 215's? I'm considering trying some but idk if it's gonna feel super weird with all the hanger space on curbs/coping. Or maybe it will feel amazing?

Takes a minute to get used to but once you do it’s great. Normally on a 9 w/159s but got a few 10+ decks and run 215s w/o issues.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2095 on: April 07, 2024, 02:29:20 PM »
Do stage 5 independent fit modern boards? Asking for a friend.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2096 on: April 07, 2024, 02:34:59 PM »

Base plate hole pattern is different. Bigger distance between front and back holes. Would need to drill holes into the deck or change the baseplate.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2097 on: April 07, 2024, 02:37:22 PM »
For reference, outer front holes are oldschool pattern, inner fit current decks:

Obijuan91

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2098 on: April 07, 2024, 03:04:04 PM »
Damn, ok thanks appreciate it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2099 on: April 07, 2024, 05:30:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Base plate hole pattern is different. Bigger distance between front and back holes. Would need to drill holes into the deck or change the baseplate.

Or drill out the baseplates, which most people did back then when they had older trucks.

I tried it recently on a set of Ventures, just to change the position of them and I was surprised how easy it was to drill out, a decent 5 mm metal bit got the job done in no time.  Just go easy on them and make sure you have the positioning right.

This is a lot easier to do once - two holes in each truck baseplate, than drilling out each and every board you put them on, although some people might find it safer to drill out boards, than trucks.

Just an option anyway.

* This was why the baseplates had to change, post from Kristian Svitak showing redrilled old Indy baseplate from the early 90s when nose slides and variations of krooked grinds became the main trick people did, which then made the industry in general change the position of their bolt holes permanently, but as some boards still had the old and some had the new, the six hole baseplate was a common thing through the 90s and even some brands still use it to this day, eg Indy with their wider trucks to fit on old school boards.