Author Topic: Bearings moving in the bearing seat  (Read 3484 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Bearings moving in the bearing seat
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2023, 03:57:47 PM »
Ordered a set of 99a F4 Classic 55's from Skate Warehouse assuming they'd be more "high volume" and have newer product and they came today. The wheels are the same color as my 99a F4 Classic 56's (more white than beige) and after throwing them on and messing around on my quarter for a bit they're working just as well as the 56's did for me. Now I'm just curious why the beige ones are having issues with the bearings staying seated...

That might be something to email DLX about, if for nothing more than to just check with them.

I think there was a time when quality control was lacking and things seemed a bit weird.

I haven't heard of any more issues recently, so whatever was going on a while back seems to be ironed out - that being just after the shutdowns so maybe they had ramped up production and rushed it a bit, leading to those issues.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2023, 11:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote
I posted about this issue a few years back and someone said it might be dirty or rusty axles causing it and suggested cleaning my axles and lightly oiling them. That worked for me and I rarely have this problem any more.
[close]

My trucks are only a few months old and the axles are clean so I don't think that's the issue. Oddly enough, I had a set of 99a F4 Classic 56's that I set up with Bones Swiss that I cleaned before I set the wheels up and I got 2 months with absolutely no issues. Got an edge chunk in my one wheel and grabbed a set of 99a F4 Classic 55's and had the issue happen with 2 of the 4 wheels with the same bearings (my heel side back wheel and my toe side front wheel). Tried the 55's with Spitfire Burner bearings as well just for sanity's sake, and the same thing happened. Put the Swiss back in the 56's and they're perfectly fine... The one thing I'm noticing is the 55's are more beige colored and the 56's are more white, so I ordered another set of 55's from a higher volume online shop (hoping to get a newer batch this way) and we'll see if they show up whiter like the 56's, and if that's the case maybe they'll be all good hahaha

Sounds like you can rule out axle grime then. What about bearings? When I had the issue I was also running Bones Swiss but nowadays I just skate Reds.

Kind of a tangent but back in May 2019 I had a set of F4s where one of the wheels wore down way faster than the others and was noticeably smaller. It was really weird but DLX sent me a replacement set after I told them about it. Only time I've had issues with F4s.

I've noticed the color change too. The newer batches are really white, like Bones wheels or something. I actually prefer the "natural" beige-ish color.

kook1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2023, 09:03:46 AM »
just chiming in because I was flipping the wheels on my set up so they wear evenly, and had 2 bearings fall out of the wheel.  I have skated bones Swiss 6 for the last 5+ years and always used the spacers.  These wheels are the first time it has happened to me and they were SF classics 54MM 97du purchased summer 2022. 

This is my first time skating 97du, as im normally 99 or 101, so I have to assume that softer wheel is the culprit.  Not sure what difference 2du really makes but its the only notable change ive made.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2023, 10:52:57 AM »
Was having an issue with this with Ace AF1 Hollow, Spitfire Conical full, mosaic bearings. My only theory was that the Ace's were an early set if hollows and seemed to have slightly undersized axles that allowed more bearing play than solid AF1's and Indy's. I haven't had the problem since switching back to Indy's.

The bearings are very tight in the wheels so I don't think that was the issue.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I posted about this issue a few years back and someone said it might be dirty or rusty axles causing it and suggested cleaning my axles and lightly oiling them. That worked for me and I rarely have this problem any more.
[close]

My trucks are only a few months old and the axles are clean so I don't think that's the issue. Oddly enough, I had a set of 99a F4 Classic 56's that I set up with Bones Swiss that I cleaned before I set the wheels up and I got 2 months with absolutely no issues. Got an edge chunk in my one wheel and grabbed a set of 99a F4 Classic 55's and had the issue happen with 2 of the 4 wheels with the same bearings (my heel side back wheel and my toe side front wheel). Tried the 55's with Spitfire Burner bearings as well just for sanity's sake, and the same thing happened. Put the Swiss back in the 56's and they're perfectly fine... The one thing I'm noticing is the 55's are more beige colored and the 56's are more white, so I ordered another set of 55's from a higher volume online shop (hoping to get a newer batch this way) and we'll see if they show up whiter like the 56's, and if that's the case maybe they'll be all good hahaha

what do think about lubing the axle? idk, just throwing lube at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2023, 02:13:50 PM »
Yesterday I put some Indy spacers in my wheels and now the bearings stay where they are or the axle nuts don't tighten itself anymore. First time in ~15 years that I use spacers. I feel hella dumb now.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2023, 05:10:59 PM »

There have been a few more people with bearing seat issues in other threads, so hopefully if they can revisit this thread, it might help some.

For those who did have issues before, are any of you still having issues, or have the cleaning of bearing seat and outside of bearings sorted that for you?

Or did you just end up getting different wheels and no longer have to deal with that problem?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 959
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2023, 10:08:07 PM »
I was thinking of loosening the nut a quarter turn riding around and sending a photo to skate one. I'm sure they're not going to send an alternative wheel. I don't want a dragon back. I want a big ass hard wheel in return.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2023, 01:31:55 AM »

There have been a few more people with bearing seat issues in other threads, so hopefully if they can revisit this thread, it might help some.

For those who did have issues before, are any of you still having issues, or have the cleaning of bearing seat and outside of bearings sorted that for you?

Or did you just end up getting different wheels and no longer have to deal with that problem?
I had this problem for years and the thing that finally fixed it was getting rid of my bearing spacers. I tried several new sets of wheels, trucks, and bearings but my bearings would always back out. I always convinced myself to use the spacers since they came with Swiss bearings, but life is better without them

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2023, 02:43:36 AM »
When you press in the bearing, make sure its properly seated/square. If you roll the wheel between ur thumb and pointer finger, you can easly feel if the bearings are unevenly seated, as the wheel will spin squarly. I know alot of skaters have 10 thumbs, so they dont do basic stuff like this correctly... Just a headsup

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
  • sup dog
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2023, 08:14:26 AM »
I use a bearing press, but when I notice a bearing slide into the wheel too easily, it’s usually because the outside of the outer race got coated in excess oil from the manufacturing and packaging process.

When this happens, I pull the bearing out and use a tiny bit of alcohol, degreaser, citrus cleaner, or something similar on a cotton swab to dissolve the oil on the outside, dry the metal, and swipe any residue out of the bearing seat, too.

I gotta try this… having a bit of bearing slip these days every once in a while. I have X97’s and bones Swiss.
It could easily be bones lube on the inner wheel track.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2023, 11:23:49 AM »
I ordered a bearing press. Gonna clean my bearings and the new wheels I got with alcohol. These last set of wheels has been annoying.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2023, 04:02:04 PM »

I had this problem for years and the thing that finally fixed it was getting rid of my bearing spacers. I tried several new sets of wheels, trucks, and bearings but my bearings would always back out. I always convinced myself to use the spacers since they came with Swiss bearings, but life is better without them

When you press in the bearing, make sure its properly seated/square. If you roll the wheel between ur thumb and pointer finger, you can easly feel if the bearings are unevenly seated, as the wheel will spin squarly. I know alot of skaters have 10 thumbs, so they dont do basic stuff like this correctly... Just a headsup

Yes I think both those two replies are on the money.

Cleaning the outside of the bearings seem to be the way to go, as well as checking the bearing is seated correctly, as per the spin between finger and thumb way.

I never use bearing presses, even though I know others swear by them.  I usually put the board on the floor or ground on its side, just put two bearings on the axle, both shields down, push wheel down gently but firmly using both palms, turn some, push down, spin to make sure it is evenly on there, then turn over and repeat, check between finger and thumb if there is any doubt, but almost always they are good.

Had a few sets of wheels with uneven bearing seats, which are easy to see with this method, but I know some people don't even check and just try to skate the board with bearings only half pressed in quite often, which is so weird, but I guess that is just part of getting to know your setup, etc.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2023, 11:31:59 PM »
Also.. It can seem tempting to use the axle nut as press. Tighten the axle bolt down super hard to seat the bearings. This is not good, because it only puts load on the inner races.