Author Topic: What are some dumb things that happen at your skatepark?  (Read 19717 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: What are some dumb things that happen at your skatepark?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Shoutout to Becker Park, my old local back in Peoria, IL. People been robbed at gunpoint there, I’ve had about 2-3 phones stolen over the years (went to the ghetto ass complex next door and got em back too), and gave us this 9 million view youtube gem right here

It was in a shitty neighborhood and was all tiny prefab obstacles but that park raised me
[close]

That video was soooo sick. Wonder what those kids are doing now haha
Ones doing 8 to 10. The other is a tech startup millionaire

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
  I dunno if its dumb but after hours, you'll get these late night chicks, generally in 2s.  Just swinging on by the park man.  Its in the middle of the city.  If they're coming to the park late- they're kinda sorta looking for dudes.  Night times the rite time!!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shoutout to Becker Park, my old local back in Peoria, IL. People been robbed at gunpoint there, I’ve had about 2-3 phones stolen over the years (went to the ghetto ass complex next door and got em back too), and gave us this 9 million view youtube gem right here

It was in a shitty neighborhood and was all tiny prefab obstacles but that park raised me
[close]

That video was soooo sick. Wonder what those kids are doing now haha
[close]
Ones doing 8 to 10. The other is a tech startup millionaire

I saw the one who made the TapOut joke a few years later, within the last few months I was living in Illinois. Dude was in maybe 4th-5th grade and bad as hell. Sometimes you’d be at the park then all of the sudden like, 8-12 unsupervised kids from the apartment complex next door would flood that tiny ass park and it’d just be a free for all, kids running thru the lanes and sitting on obstacles being obnoxious n whatnot. Dude was like the loudmouth leader just cussing as much as possible saying all kinds of ratchet ass shit. Real sad to see honestly, like I said those apartments next door were hood as fuck.

The other kid & his yellow banana wearing friend were regulars so I actually saw them fairly often, and he was actually kind of getting into skating and would sometimes ride around n shit. Hopefully it resonated with him and he’s ripping the park but that’s probably not the case. The local shop there closed down a year or so after I left and that’s literally the only park in the city so the scene there is pretty weak at this point and was hardly ever big in the first place. I just hope some of those kids make it out of that cesspool but seeing as how Peoria was actually listed as #6 of the worst cities for African Americans in the entire country (based on poverty, employment, & incarecration rates), my hopes aren’t high. It’s tucked wayyy back in these woods like it’s its own 3rd world country or some shit separate from the city. I had s close friend who moved into another complex just down the road that was like govt-assisted $20/ month rent on some straight status. I hated going over there even just to pick him up or smoke before skating the park. Place had me shook every time I went there, and I was even brave enough to go door to door to get my phone back from some kid who stole it at the complex next to the park. That’s the kind of shit that puts hairs on your nuts as a kid but going to that other complex down the road would make them same hairs stand up like the back of your neck

Still, I made almost all my skate buddies & spent hours upon hours there from 5th grade til I moved to AZ as an adult so I still hold that park dear to my heart, as fucked as it was. Becker Park raised me as a young skater, never forget

darkthrone

• Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »
Kid on a bike pulled a pair of nunchucks on my friend cos he ran into him at Stockwell Skatepark many moons ago, that kid was basically kicked out by everyone after that. Just happened to have some nunchucks in his jacket pocket. Thats Brixton for you.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:32 AM »
I remember local news crew came down with no heads up, so we did the performing monkey bit, then they interview the dumb wee kids that came down the park on their mountain bikes and talked about the graffiti making the ramps looking less steep, golden moments.

Oh, and hammer fights, like, fights with hammers.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 05:35:40 AM »
I remember local news crew came down with no heads up, so we did the performing monkey bit, then they interview the dumb wee kids that came down the park on their mountain bikes and talked about the graffiti making the ramps looking less steep, golden moments.

Oh, and hammer fights, like, fights with hammers.

One time I was skating my local DIY and the local news showed up and interviewed a couple of us about a reoccurring incident of somebody shitting on the neighboring playground's slide. They basically egged us on to make poop jokes, and it made it to air.

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:26 AM »
Local urban legend tells that about five years ago some hero stole an excavator from a near by industrial area and demolished our old plywood rhino-hell.

The old park was a fucking mess so it was kind of an power move. After the destruction the city built a new concrete park which was a blessing.
Just shred some serious gnar.

KirkGK

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:05 AM »
A bunch of people who don't skate wearing super tight jeans, big puffy coats, shot bags and often vape. Kinda sucks because they stand there and judge you despite the fact they aren't doing anything themselves.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 06:56:17 AM »
12 year olds vaping and scootering.

Skateboarding used to be big in our lil town of 9000. At one point we were running at least 300 deep, now I rarely see anyone on a board but me and my kids, two kids constantly on revive boards and you'll never see any of them at street spots.

One guy on this board is from the same town and we've never even crossed paths once???

Speaking of which, IMPORTANT GUY let's skate this spring/summer
Gentleman ninja warlock

ImportantGuy

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 06:59:56 AM »
Absolutely sir! Admittedly (sadly), I haven't skated nearly as much as I should have last summer. I spent the one before that in the woods North of Montreal.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »
Absolutely sir! Admittedly (sadly), I haven't skated nearly as much as I should have last summer. I spent the one before that in the woods North of Montreal.

Nothing wrong with that! I spend alot of time fishing/camping as well.

Let's go repaint the rails at the credit union, those rails are fun as fuck.

Also, I'm not sure what's being built in the old rainy lake hotel spit but right now it looks like ledge heaven
Gentleman ninja warlock

ImportantGuy

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 07:28:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, I'm not sure what's being built in the old rainy lake hotel spit but right now it looks like ledge heaven
Yeah those rails were wicked! The new "plaza" is kinda shitty, though. I'll try skating it for sure but I'm not convinced it'll become the new Love or anything. I always thought street skating across (park too) was better. Haven't been there in forever, though.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 07:44:26 AM »
People spray paint stupid shit everywhere then get their supreme boxers in a bunch because the city doesn't want to fix the major faults in the only skatepark in town.

Jacob Gary

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
Skateboarding. Now that is some real-ass bullshit.

ImportantGuy

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
Gnar'd. OH WAIT

Jacob Gary

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gnar'd. OH WAIT

:(

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
I thought the OP video was a parody until I felt my eyes cringing involuntarily. He sure did rhyme 95 with 95.

anyway, back to prefab, and my hometown heroes:

"did you get that" we care a lot.
Did you see how 1 sided the park is too? all ramps on 1 side of the parque.
and they cued up the 311 immediately to get homegirl all mopped up and put on the gurney
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:04:32 AM by Jehoshaphat Augustus »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah those rails were wicked! The new "plaza" is kinda shitty, though. I'll try skating it for sure but I'm not convinced it'll become the new Love or anything. I always thought street skating across (park too) was better. Haven't been there in forever, though.

That ledge spot I'm not even sure will be skate able, I've only driven past it.

And yes across has always been better. Did they ever upgrade that lil prefab park?

I usually drive to Duluth, bemidji or Minneapolis though and skate there when I can

Bemidji University is fucking crazy good and fun as fuck
Gentleman ninja warlock

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
Non skaters hanging out solely to drink and smoke.

Skaters that don't really skate hanging out solely to drink and smoke.

Junkies passing out.

Bums burning down ramps.

Locals who are ostensibly friends getting in fist fights or worse.

Graffiti artists who insist on painting in the middle of a session.

Filming rap videos, often in the middle of a session.

Spending tons of money and manpower on unskateable improvements.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
Constant fighting, cant leave your stuff unwatched, 15 year olds snorting cocaine, underaged ramp tramps , overdosing bums, huge homeless problem over here. seen this kid get his eyeball straight popped out.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
Constant fighting, cant leave your stuff unwatched, 15 year olds snorting cocaine, underaged ramp tramps , overdosing bums, huge homeless problem over here. seen this kid get his eyeball straight popped out.
Santa Ana park?

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
Dude that brings his gas powered RC car to the park, drops it full speed straight into the bowl while I'm MID-RUN, then gets pissed when I purposely crush it with my trucks.

Donald Rump

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
Last thing I saw at one of the two local parks in my vicinity was kids hitting bucket bongs.

Funny thing was they didn't have a bucket so they instead emptied a big rubbish bin and filled it with water and were smoking out of that.

The park is beside a busy road with lots of people always going by so that was amusing to watch.

Anyway they offered me a hit and I took it. I smoked weed out of a shitty public bin.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
everything at carroll skatepark in bmore

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »
Dude that brings his gas powered RC car to the park, drops it full speed straight into the bowl while I'm MID-RUN, then gets pissed when I purposely crush it with my trucks.

Shit's horrible.

Filming rap videos, often in the middle of a session.

I've actually seen this as well and it's not pleasant.

Worse than that - some loser was dressed up as a bear at the park and his friend was filming him stand by ramps and act kooky, just getting in the way. The filmer came up to me and asked if I could lend him my board. Of course I said "No" neutrally. Filmer goes to the bear and they both laugh about it. Ruined the fucking session for me and I had to leave. I'm not Louie Barletta is what I'm trying to say.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
the dumbest thing that happened to the park is how they built it, i would trade all three parks from my town and the next town over for some ghetto tennis court spot
i have a rc car aswell and dudes like that are fucking stupid, actually now that i think about it one time at some park in riverbank, some guy in a truck came up with some shitty ECX rc buggy (the background with this is that its a budget brand, really cheap priced cars like $120 at most, and the other thing is that their really durable and have cheap as hell replacement parts this kinda plays into the story) and i was like 15 went to the skatepark with my dad, i was skating the park this dude was lurking, jump forward this dude started hyping up the car, jump forward again and i somehow ended up driving the thing, i had a car before havent used it in years at that point so i was rusty driving, the guy kept hounding me about "dont take it off any jumps bro dont jump it bro" (but it was at a skatepark that was mainly ramps so what did expect to happen) and when i was about to return the thing i was pulling the rc car back towards me, and from where it was and where we where at there was a steep ramp, so i had pinned going like 7mph it roll up this ramp, it got like a half a inch of air, but it was off balance i almost pulled it but it rolled over the car was just fine no scratches no broken parts, (sense it was already beat to shit), and the guy went off yelling at me and my dad flipped it back on him for the guy trying to be some sketchy salesman. and sense i was really unaware being a shut in then it turns out dude pretty much just went to the park to try pawn off the thing for a shitty price on some unknowing sucker, and knowing the area now he was probably just trying to get some skunk weed money trying to sell the shit for retail price

TL'DR some truck driving junkie tried to get pissed at me for rolling over his cheap ass rc car he was trying to sell. and most the people clogging up skateparks like that have big ass $500 monster trucks anyway, like take that shit to some dirt or wait tell it rains at the skatepark and clean it off after you lazy shithead

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
My local has recently had two stages of improvements, went from crusty asphalt to super smooth concrete, more obstacles and lights which stay on until 10pm.

Ironically its now so busy its hard to enjoy and the once great vibe is getting shittier.

Oddly enough someone was filming a rap video there a while back, what is it with rap videos and skateparks.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:43 PM »
A gang of 11 to 14 year olds took over a park for a week or so, clearly challenging skaters to do something about it. They'd all ride at once, round and round, so no one could get a run in. Being a grown man, I know there's a limit to how much you can discipline other people's children but I lost my shit one evening. Anyway, I went up to the ring leader, grabbed his bike and let the air out of his tires. He obviously freaked out and told me to get my hands off his property but I told him I was done with his impolite use of the skatepark. He told me he'd be back with his dad because I was 'tweaking.' I told him I'd wait for him and his dad but they never came back. Never seen them since.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »
I saw a dude riding a unicycle playing street hockey.Which is weird given this is in Australia and nobody plays street hockey.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

Damn, that's Marsh Creek Park, my relation to that place is lobbying for it for over a decade and then helping build it.

I want to hate on that video and the simplicity in what dude is rapping about... guns, weed, driving fast, suicide doors.... but the fact that kids can get away with skating the park with no pads or helmets is a positive thing. Cops used to love rolling up there for an easy ticket score.

A kid died in that same parking lot in the past few years popping a wheelie on his motorcycle.

Dumbest shit I've seen a skatepark is well-respected skaters getting too wasted and robbing from other skaters, breaking bottles in the park, or pissing on ramps.