Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 323438 times)

coldbrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #1440 on: November 03, 2021, 10:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This shall be interesting

[close]

I hope so.. but imo mike is just not interesting at all… the dude is just plain white bread.
[close]

Kind of disagree here: sure he's a suburban Cali kid but he has to have good stories and he seems like a guy who's not holding back too much and being overly correct. I'd say he's pretty good Bunt material.

I’d fully agree here. Mike mo came up in a good era with stories around legends. He also has a seemingly dry and off putting sense of humor while being slightly self deprecating about his own tricks. I think this could be gold between him and the bunt boys.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1441 on: November 03, 2021, 01:31:13 PM »
I also remember the other fakie 3 flip down macba. Anyone remember who this was? My brain is saying a blind rider.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #1442 on: November 03, 2021, 01:38:45 PM »
3:33 in this. He fakie varial flipped it as well which is even sicker. No idea how I remember this, I have no memory of watching the part before I just remember those two tricks.

Mike Mo seems to have a good head on his shoulders, more self deprecating than I was expecting.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #1443 on: November 03, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This shall be interesting

[close]

I hope so.. but imo mike is just not interesting at all… the dude is just plain white bread.
[close]

Kind of disagree here: sure he's a suburban Cali kid but he has to have good stories and he seems like a guy who's not holding back too much and being overly correct. I'd say he's pretty good Bunt material.
[close]

I’d fully agree here. Mike mo came up in a good era with stories around legends. He also has a seemingly dry and off putting sense of humor while being slightly self deprecating about his own tricks. I think this could be gold between him and the bunt boys.

I can gladly say I was wrong. I listened to the first 30 minutes this morning and didn’t want to turn it off.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1444 on: November 03, 2021, 03:21:10 PM »
Good episode but im sort of bummed Mike Mo doesn’t really skate much, if at all.., anymore and is seemingly more hyped on golf.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #1445 on: November 03, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
Good episode but im sort of bummed Mike Mo doesn’t really skate much, if at all.., anymore and is seemingly more hyped on golf.

I mean, he physically basically can't skate anymore and he's said on multiple occasions that it's not enjoyable for him anymore because it's frustrating and disappointing to not be able to skate how he used to.

That episode was excellent.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1446 on: November 03, 2021, 03:44:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean, he physically basically can't skate anymore and he's said on multiple occasions that it's not enjoyable for him anymore because it's frustrating and disappointing to not be able to skate how he used to.

That's fair, I remember him mentioning all that on the nine club. I guess I find it hard to understand because skating at the level he can probably skate at now, although not as good as before, would be a dream for me or the average skater.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #1447 on: November 03, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »

I am sure mike mo is also bummed too lol. don't think he planned on prematurely ending his career driving a golf cart at a skateboard camp. just like any other human that has to stop doing what they love, he probably needed to channel that energy he was putting into his skating into something else that makes him happy

gonna peep this epi today

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1448 on: November 03, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That's fair, I remember him mentioning all that on the nine club. I guess I find it hard to understand because skating at the level he can probably skate at now, although not as good as before, would be a dream for me or the average skater.
I don't think it's just not being as good. Prior to that he already had a ton of ankle injuries. And catestrophic trauma to the mix and even doing simple shit could lead to your ankle blowing up with swelling.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1449 on: November 03, 2021, 05:03:06 PM »
Interesting to hear another guy on Crail talk about how he was bummed on Pretty Sweet and how his footage was used. I remember people saying at the time Mike-Mo wasn't happy with the song choice. He came off way more mature and normal than some of his other interviews and getting to talk in depth about the questionable aspects of skate culture/buisness like the promoting of partying drinking, the lack of longevity, lack of insurance, taking the highest paying shoe sponsor etc was very refreshing to hear.

YawnJawns

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1450 on: November 03, 2021, 05:15:27 PM »
Prime example of ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #1451 on: November 03, 2021, 05:52:19 PM »
great episode if you're interested in entrepreneurship, trading cards, golf, nfts or just being bored

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1452 on: November 04, 2021, 08:39:15 AM »
Maybe one of my favourite episodes of all time. The conversation flowed real well, and had me laughing a couple times. Coulda been longer. Would be cool to get him back on later.

It’s been said many times, some of the best guests are people no longer sponsored.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #1453 on: November 04, 2021, 10:52:57 AM »
great episode if you're interested in entrepreneurship, trading cards, golf, nfts or just being bored
i thought it was a good episode but seriously what is he thinking with a skate trading card nft. Who is gonna buy that?

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1454 on: November 04, 2021, 11:24:57 AM »
the bunt rules and is the best skate podcast

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #1455 on: November 04, 2021, 01:35:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i thought it was a good episode but seriously what is he thinking with a skate trading card nft. Who is gonna buy that?

A lot of people. People are collecting skateboard related stuff more than ever these days.

Think it's time for him & Girl to part ways. Long overdue.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1456 on: November 04, 2021, 01:46:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

A lot of people. People are collecting skateboard related stuff more than ever these days.

I think Mike Mo would be fine with it. Seems he's just on due to him being Crail family and they probably just give him royalties at this point. To be honest, the amount of people Crail has who have put out less footage than Mike-Mo in the past decade despite Mike-Mo essentially retring 7 years ago is quite astonishing.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #1457 on: November 04, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »
Maybe one of my favourite episodes of all time. The conversation flowed real well, and had me laughing a couple times. Coulda been longer. Would be cool to get him back on later.

It’s been said many times, some of the best guests are people no longer sponsored.

Agreed. People no longer sponsored have to actually find themselves outside of skateboarding and tend to be much more well rounded. Listening to skaterats all the time gets old pretty quick, maybe it’s just where I’m at in life. I skate frequently and have other interests outside of skating.

Like no offense to John Dilo but he’s just a pure skater with seemingly no other interests.. dream job outside of skating is being a TM.. really?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #1458 on: November 04, 2021, 03:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i could definitely be wrong but i don’t see it. Collecting old boards and stuff sure, but this seems like a just “give me money” scheme

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #1459 on: November 04, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
“No, there’s no budget to put on new ams, we gotta press these Mike Mo joker boards”
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #1460 on: November 04, 2021, 03:41:38 PM »
Like no offense to John Dilo but he’s just a pure skater with seemingly no other interests.. dream job outside of skating is being a TM.. really?
yeah man what a loser

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1461 on: November 05, 2021, 04:46:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I don't think it's just not being as good. Prior to that he already had a ton of ankle injuries. And catestrophic trauma to the mix and even doing simple shit could lead to your ankle blowing up with swelling.

It's not even about his foot/ankle swelling. That foot is essentially dead. From the way I have heard him describe it other places it sounds like its just a human flesh prosthetic. He has to wear a carbon fiber plate that goes under his foot with a spring/elastic band that wraps above the ankle that pulls the foot up when lifting his leg.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #1462 on: November 05, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I think Mike Mo would be fine with it. Seems he's just on due to him being Crail family and they probably just give him royalties at this point. To be honest, the amount of people Crail has who have put out less footage than Mike-Mo in the past decade despite Mike-Mo essentially retring 7 years ago is quite astonishing.

Pretty sure he tweeted out a few months back that he thought Girl should drop him and he admitted he shouldn't be pro anymore. I'm sure he's grateful for Girl's support but he knows for sure he isn't going to influence the skate world anymore. He's set with Glassy and this new NFT venture I'm sure will only help him

Hearing Kirchart as his favourite skater was a random surprise

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1463 on: November 05, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

It's not even about his foot/ankle swelling. That foot is essentially dead. From the way I have heard him describe it other places it sounds like its just a human flesh prosthetic. He has to wear a carbon fiber plate that goes under his foot with a spring/elastic band that wraps above the ankle that pulls the foot up when lifting his leg.
Oh, I know he has drop foot. I just meant when your foot/ankle is fucked, even minor trauma (the stress from landing a popped flip trick) can lead to annoying ass swelling.

Pretty sure he tweeted out a few months back that he thought Girl should drop him and he admitted he shouldn't be pro anymore. I'm sure he's grateful for Girl's support but he knows for sure he isn't going to influence the skate world anymore. He's set with Glassy and this new NFT venture I'm sure will only help him

Hearing Kirchart as his favourite skater was a random surprise
Yeah, I was totally expecting him to say P-Rod or Koston given how he skates. But saying PJ had the biggest influence on him made a ton of sense.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1464 on: November 05, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
I'm not as surprised to hear about skaters having favorites that skate nothing like them. Kinda reminds me of that Tyshawn doc when his mom mentioned his favorite skater growing up was Lizard King. Makes sense to prefer to watch someone who skates nothing like yourself.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1465 on: November 05, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »
I'm not as surprised to hear about skaters having favorites that skate nothing like them. Kinda reminds me of that Tyshawn doc when his mom mentioned his favorite skater growing up was Lizard King. Makes sense to prefer to watch someone who skates nothing like yourself.
Great point.

I'm sort of surprised when it comes to favorite, best, or favorite video part I don't think I've ever heard Lucas.

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1466 on: November 06, 2021, 11:58:25 AM »
No farm is safe

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -281
« Reply #1467 on: November 06, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »

there’s a TJ doc?!

HowMakeBoardFlip

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1468 on: November 06, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I’d rather hear them interview older (former) pros that they’re actually hyped on than a younger flavor of the month skater that they don’t really know.
[close]

Agree with you because ex/former pros have more histories to tell, and can shot some fire to anyone being outside of the industry now. Something that not all the younger flavor will do to keep safe their carreer.

Yep I believe they've openly stated that's what they're going for (might've been in the Jack O'Grady episode), that they usually go for older folks with a lot of history to tell but were making an exception for Jack cause he's gnarly, and also hilarious.

HowMakeBoardFlip

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1469 on: November 06, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »

Now I really want to see Tyshawn skate like Lizard King...is an ollie to firecracker down a stairset with super-clean style NBD?

Got a link to this doc btw?