Author Topic: Anyone know some dark obscure skateboarding facts?  (Read 48394 times)

somefucker

Pipe Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
Re: Anyone know some dark obscure skateboarding facts?
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2022, 04:52:51 AM »
Sean Goff (former Brand X & Death Box Pro) was stabbed by Lucien Hendricks (former Dogtown Pro) in the 1980s when they were rivals in the UK Vert scene.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2022, 04:55:20 AM »
Read this: https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/10/31/the-good-bad-and-the-ugly-shiloh-greathouse/

Truly haunting:

"In 1991 I did a demo in Virginia with Rodney Mullen, Kareem Campbell, Chris Pastras and Jason Lee. This trip marked a moment in my life I’ll never forget – not because who was on it but because of what I encountered in the outskirts of Virginia."

I hit up Shiloh like a man on IG, but he couldn't remember where in VA this transpired.

Love it!

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2022, 05:08:35 AM »
Sean Goff (former Brand X & Death Box Pro) was stabbed by Lucien Hendricks (former Dogtown Pro) in the 1980s when they were rivals in the UK Vert scene.

Oh shit

https://sidewalkmag.com/longform/lucian-hendricks-made-of-stone-2

"Then I had a fight with Sean Goff. I was on angel dust, in the moment. We were in a place in the middle of nowhere, on a beach. Me and all the London boys were doing crazy things, I had an altercation with Sean, then I got thrown off Vision. Everything I worked for disappeared. I mean it wasn’t like he was stabbed, it was more scratched. It didn’t matter, but at the same time it did, because it was quite a wrong thing to do. You know, you shouldn’t really do that kind of thing and I paid the price, got thrown off all my companies, lost all my sponsorships. It was really lame on my behalf."

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2022, 05:29:40 AM »
The darkest part is that i remember most of this stuff happening the first time round...
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2022, 06:06:10 AM »
nazis and skateboarding are deeply rooted
still can be seen wherever you go

always just an accident
seems like those transition guys always happen to stumble upon the wrong clipart folders
funny part is america thinks they are the entire world and racism is black vs white vs east asian
when its fucking clear that facism has killed millions of jews and calls every middle eastern person a terrorist
but im pretty sure you can have a chill sess with them if youre black or east asian that likes beer
Pretty sure that "SS" is Stratosphere Skateboards chill

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2022, 06:13:29 AM »
Expand Quote

always just an accident
seems like those transition guys always happen to stumble upon the wrong clipart folders
funny part is america thinks they are the entire world and racism is black vs white vs east asian
when its fucking clear that facism has killed millions of jews and calls every middle eastern person a terrorist
but im pretty sure you can have a chill sess with them if youre black or east asian that likes beer
[close]

But the Nazi ss was first, and it’s an obvious derivative of that well-known usage. despite what you interpret it as.

Most people will automatically associate it with Nazi Germany, as almost no-one knows Stratosphere.

If Stratosphere is in fact the real meaning, why didn’t they pick a less controversial way of writing the S’s?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

gabba ghoul

• Rep: -12
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2022, 06:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

But the Nazi ss was first, and it’s an obvious derivative of that well-known usage. despite what you interpret it as.

Most people will automatically associate it with Nazi Germany, as almost no-one knows Stratosphere.

If Stratosphere is in fact the real meaning, why didn’t they pick a less controversial way of writing the S’s?
i knew it was stratosphere right away. is this a skate forum or a global history forum?

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2022, 06:23:33 AM »
The gator documentary is up in YouTube if anyone's curious or hasn't seen it yet. He is garbage and should stay in jail.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vw8IzWWwTMs

My dumb ass can't figure out how to embed on here anymore

thebestskateboarderever

• Rep: 0
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2022, 06:33:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

[close]
i knew it was stratosphere right away. is this a skate forum or a global history forum?

didnt know what stratosphere was, checked it out and yes the s in their logo is an OG cut out SS nazi logo.
even worse that they think its cool to do SS tags to make it clear it refers to nazi germany.
nothing more important than to know and teach history even when we as a collective are on a skate website.
if somebody knows them or the owner please tell them to stop. its not cool or edgy.
always felt weird when those anti hero dudes would roll up with eagle on their boards, fucking independent trucks with the iron cross on it and at worse are sponsored by stratosphere skateboards (looking at you grant).
it all CLEARLY refers to every single logo nazi germany has used.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:42:19 AM by thebestskateboarderever »

gabba ghoul

• Rep: -12
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2022, 06:42:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

didnt know what stratosphere was, checked it out and yes the s in their logo is an OG cut out SS nazi logo.
even worse that they think its cool to do SS tags to make it clear it refers to nazi germany.
nothing more important than to know and teach history even when we as a collective are on a skate website.
if somebody knows them or the owner please tell them to stop. its not cool or edgy.
sure. read about the holodomor and the sickle and hammer doesn't seem so cool anymore.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2022, 06:47:20 AM »
It’s owned by GT’s dad.  GT has/had a confederate flag in his house.  But yeah, total coincidence and no sus racist vibes at all that this family uses nazi imagery and has confederate flags in their homes.  Also nevermind that dude rocks the official facial hair of hate crimes;

thebestskateboarderever

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2022, 06:59:20 AM »
explains a lot..
thats messed up. fitting for this thread.

look guys i found these cool ass logos in this clip art folder. think we should use em? will tell everybody how exlusivly good our products are to make them the new standard in skateboarding and publish those logos everywhere.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:09:00 AM by thebestskateboarderever »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2022, 07:00:25 AM »
It’s owned by GT’s dad.  GT has/had a confederate flag in his house.  But yeah, total coincidence and no sus racist vibes at all that this family uses nazi imagery and has confederate flags in their homes.  Also nevermind that dude rocks the official facial hair of hate crimes;

Desperate to cancel.  Grant is actually super laid back and friendly most certainly not a racist or nazi.  His dad-while not laid back or friendly at all if you don't know him, is also not a racist and has sponsored/been friends with tons of ATL locals for years. 

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2022, 07:04:16 AM »
US is the home of the 4th reich, only ops, dummies, and dupes still rock with the overt symbols.
I'd put these skate nazis in the dummy/dupe category (context not apologetics).

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2022, 07:06:34 AM »
The whole Van Wastell situation was handled very poorly by all involved. Locking someone who is gripped with addiction into a room, with only one way out...I get there were all young, except maybe Jamie Hart, and probably had no experience in dealing with anything like that before, but this all could've played out very differently and Van could still be here today.

What happened?

somefucker

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2022, 07:33:24 AM »

I get your reach - we're all products of our parents.

But I like to imagine baby Grant didn't say "Daddy, daddy! Put the SS on the garage!" Dude is just skating. Also can't recall any controversy or really anything that can pin Grant as some ig douche. Nice try tho, correct me if i'm wrong nerds

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2022, 07:56:30 AM »
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]

It's pointless. People on Slap are obsessed with divining the hidden meaning of every symbol in the skate industry, which is apparently controlled by secret Nazis, rather than a bunch of drunk morons who, in a pre-woke period, believed that some right wing imagery most closely associated by with outlaw biker gangs, looked cool.

Because, you see, if a gentile sees a certain image, they have a Manchurian Candidate-like reaction and automatically restart the holocaust, and similarly Jews like me encounter the letters "SS" and have epigenetic memory of my grandmother's door in the shtetl getting kicked in by the District of Galicia. This action causes me to curl into a ball for the next six months.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2022, 08:12:46 AM »
Expand Quote
The whole Van Wastell situation was handled very poorly by all involved. Locking someone who is gripped with addiction into a room, with only one way out...I get there were all young, except maybe Jamie Hart, and probably had no experience in dealing with anything like that before, but this all could've played out very differently and Van could still be here today.
[close]

What happened?

Van Wastell was using (heroin, I think). His teammates took it away from him, I assume hoping to help. Later that night, he either fell from or jumped out of a window and died.

slapfight simba

• Rep: -2
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2022, 08:16:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened?
[close]

Van Wastell was using (heroin, I think). His teammates took it away from him, I assume hoping to help. Later that night, he either fell from or jumped out of a window and died.
never come between a man and his heroin

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened?
[close]

[close]
never come between a man and his heroin

Well it's definitely not a good idea to get someone off of heroin by stealing their stash while they're on a tour in Europe, forcing them to go cold turkey in a strange hotel room thousands of miles from their family or anyone qualified to handle someone going through heroin withdrawl.

thebestskateboarderever

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2022, 08:51:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

It's pointless. People on Slap are obsessed with divining the hidden meaning of every symbol in the skate industry, which is apparently controlled by secret Nazis, rather than a bunch of drunk morons who, in a pre-woke period, believed that some right wing imagery most closely associated by with outlaw biker gangs, looked cool.

Because, you see, if a gentile sees a certain image, they have a Manchurian Candidate-like reaction and automatically restart the holocaust, and similarly Jews like me encounter the letters "SS" and have epigenetic memory of my grandmother's door in the shtetl getting kicked in by the District of Galicia. This action causes me to curl into a ball for the next six months.

its very very important to teach people about the meaning behind the symbols. i do not believe those guys were just fans of biker gangs. and if so do your research since anything those guys talk about is being the real deal. its pretty emberassing and fake to not know your knowledge behind those logos and ripping them of to make your skateboards look cool.. you really think those guys were that fake?
makes the revive john hill board almost more hell ride

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

[close]

its very very important to teach people about the meaning behind the symbols. i do not believe those guys were just fans of biker gangs. and if so do your research since anything those guys talk about is being the real deal. its pretty emberassing and fake to not know your knowledge behind those logos and ripping them of to make your skateboards look cool.. you really think those guys were that fake?

No, I sincerely believe that they were smuggling covert Nazi imagery into all parts of skateboarding in order to resurrect the Fourth Reich.

Edit - I guess that would be constitute the Fourth Reich, not resurrect.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:06:12 AM by manysnakes »

thebestskateboarderever

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2022, 09:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

No, I sincerely believe that they were smuggling covert Nazi imagery into all parts of skateboarding in order to resurrect the fourth reich.

this or they were just close to biker nazi gangs because biker nazi gangs are just human beings like us skateboarders. s/o jason jesse

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2022, 09:05:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

[close]

GT is friends with Ishod and rides for Julien Strangers company.  If he is a racist Nazi he isn't doing a very good job.

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 59
  • energy vampire
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
The gator documentary is up in YouTube if anyone's curious or hasn't seen it yet. He is garbage and should stay in jail.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vw8IzWWwTMs

My dumb ass can't figure out how to embed on here anymore

We actually watched this in my deviant behaviors psychology course back in college and I’m pretty sure I was the only one who knew of the events prior and had the context of the late 80’s/early 90’s skating industry.

Side note: some other dude in the class wanted to find out more about 1010 after watching it, this was in 2011 or 2012 before his nazi shit was exposed.

But yeah, great doc, you owe it to yourself to watch it sometime if you haven’t.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2022, 09:32:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened?
[close]

Dam that's sad

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2022, 11:09:33 AM »
Dan Wolfe didn't actually look at the clouds, fool

Fully Flared explosions were CGI done by Industrial Light and Magic/Lucasfilm, it's in the liner notes of the special edition DVD

somefucker

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2022, 11:21:19 AM »
Dan Wolfe didn't actually look at the clouds, fool

Fully Flared explosions were CGI done by Industrial Light and Magic/Lucasfilm, it's in the liner notes of the special edition DVD

spike jonze has used a decent bit of pyrotechnics, i think this explosion is real

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2022, 11:48:16 AM »
Jason Dill once manipulated a teenage boy to let him inside his parent's house and then stayed there for weeks. To make matters worse, the kid's dad was having a documentary filmed about his rapidly declining mental health and Dill had no qualms with being caught on camera taking advantage of this sick old man. Really dark stuff.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 05:13:01 PM by tom »