Author Topic: Anyone know some dark obscure skateboarding facts?  (Read 49723 times)

manysnakes

Re: Anyone know some dark obscure skateboarding facts?
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2022, 12:08:05 PM »
Dan Wolfe didn't actually look at the clouds, fool

Fully Flared explosions were CGI done by Industrial Light and Magic/Lucasfilm, it's in the liner notes of the special edition DVD

ILM does practical effects, as well. They probably designed the pyrotechnics.

The real veganshawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 89
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2022, 12:08:42 PM »
Friend of mine worked for high speed in the 90s and said Thrasher were regularly run bail photos and also would edit photos to make stuff like bigger then it was
Cocteau Twins

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
Friend of mine worked for high speed in the 90s and said Thrasher were regularly run bail photos and also would edit photos to make stuff like bigger then it was
Isn't it well established that a ton of photos or even sequences run feature bail photos. I remember DGKalis going in depth on this at one point. Although you should never run a photo where the trick wasn't made at that session, or you end up in a Dompierre situation.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -258
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2022, 12:18:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Isn't it well established that a ton of photos or even sequences run feature bail photos. I remember DGKalis going in depth on this at one point. Although you should never run a photo where the trick wasn't made at that session, or you end up in a Dompierre situation.

Was it on here @DannyDee ?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 562
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2022, 12:40:21 PM »
Jason Dill once manipulated a teenage boy to let him inside his parent's house and then stayed there for weeks. To make matters worse, the kid's dad was having was documentary filmed about his rapidly declining mental health and Dill had no qualms with being caught on camera taking advantage of this sick old man. Really dark stuff.

I see what you did there. Nice.

WPG

• Rep: -5
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2022, 01:55:02 PM »

Fully Flared explosions were CGI done by Industrial Light and Magic/Lucasfilm, it's in the liner notes of the special edition DVD
?

Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2022, 02:26:01 PM »
Reynolds has only taken one ice bath :-(

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 639
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2022, 03:06:12 PM »
Alexis Sablone eats grapes at the grocery store and doesn’t pay for them

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2022, 03:37:59 PM »
Alexis Sablone eats grapes at the grocery store and doesn’t pay for them

Blueberries, actually.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2022, 03:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Was it on here @DannyDee ?
Yeah, forgot which thread though. It was at least half a decade ago.

work_lurker

• Rep: 106
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2022, 05:22:15 PM »
Nobody in Dying to Live actually died
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 572
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
nazis and skateboarding are deeply rooted
still can be seen wherever you go

always just an accident
seems like those transition guys always happen to stumble upon the wrong clipart folders
funny part is america thinks they are the entire world and racism is black vs white vs east asian
when its fucking clear that facism has killed millions of jews and calls every middle eastern person a terrorist
but im pretty sure you can have a chill sess with them if youre black or east asian that likes beer
[close]
Pretty sure that "SS" is Stratosphere Skateboards chill
[close]

But the Nazi ss was first, and it’s an obvious derivative of that well-known usage. despite what you interpret it as.

Most people will automatically associate it with Nazi Germany, as almost no-one knows Stratosphere.

If Stratosphere is in fact the real meaning, why didn’t they pick a less controversial way of writing the S’s?
[close]
i knew it was stratosphere right away. is this a skate forum or a global history forum?

So this is the ‘nazi’ S in stratosphere, correct?

If that’s the case, you’re mistaken. That’s the KISS s.

and get after Jamie for Mystery.

Sorry. But the SS bolts are different. Oh and punch a nazi every chance you get.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2022, 06:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
seems like those transition guys always happen to stumble upon the wrong clipart folders
funny part is america thinks they are the entire world and racism is black vs white vs east asian
when its fucking clear that facism has killed millions of jews and calls every middle eastern person a terrorist
but im pretty sure you can have a chill sess with them if youre black or east asian that likes beer
[close]
[close]

But the Nazi ss was first, and it’s an obvious derivative of that well-known usage. despite what you interpret it as.

Most people will automatically associate it with Nazi Germany, as almost no-one knows Stratosphere.

If Stratosphere is in fact the real meaning, why didn’t they pick a less controversial way of writing the S’s?
[close]
i knew it was stratosphere right away. is this a skate forum or a global history forum?
[close]

Sorry. But the SS bolts are different. Oh and punch a nazi every chance you get.
Kiss has to use a different logo in Germany and mystery had trouble in Germany because of the logo. When it comes to what is the bolts s the Germans probably know best.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »
what does grant taylor know about
operation paper clip. where are his relatives from. germany by way of argentina prolly. weird coincidence i guess

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 572
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2022, 07:23:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

always just an accident
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Kiss has to use a different logo in Germany and mystery had trouble in Germany because of the logo. When it comes to what is the bolts s the Germans probably know best.
Good point. I had no idea about they had to change their fonts for German merch/tours. Was just going on the letters(which are clearly different since the tops are cropped. Not saying they aren’t close or defending their use just going on looks only). As fs180 said punch a nazi even if they skate. Did anyone mention the Godoys yet?

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2022, 07:27:20 PM »
Most of my friends from Atlanta can attest Thomas is not really an all inclusive type of guy if you know what I mean.

work_lurker

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2022, 01:00:50 PM »
Caswell Berry actually had a shaved head before

Brguy

« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2022, 01:58:47 PM »
It’s owned by GT’s dad.  GT has/had a confederate flag in his house.  But yeah, total coincidence and no sus racist vibes at all that this family uses nazi imagery and has confederate flags in their homes.  Also nevermind that dude rocks the official facial hair of hate crimes;

Isn't the confederate flag a big southern thing? I don't get these people trying to associate it with nazis all the time, it's like you want a second civil war or something. I mean how many dictatorships there are in the world? Chill a little, let people be proud of their birthplace.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1399
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s owned by GT’s dad.  GT has/had a confederate flag in his house.  But yeah, total coincidence and no sus racist vibes at all that this family uses nazi imagery and has confederate flags in their homes.  Also nevermind that dude rocks the official facial hair of hate crimes;

[close]
Isn't the confederate flag a big southern thing? I don't get these people trying to associate it with nazis all the time, it's like you want a second civil war or something. I mean how many dictatorships there are in the world? Chill a little, let people be proud of their birthplace.
OK they were born in the southern part of the United States so if they need to fly a flag there is dumb one with the same ass colors they can use. The Confederate or "Rebel' flag is the flag they flew when they waged a war to continue to enslave people. And they fucking lost. They lost then and they would lose now. It's just a little piece of poop at the end to let you know how they really feel because coded messages were all they had left. Anyone flying it for any other reason is a self deluded asshole. It really only means one thing.
unreadable trap logo

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2022, 02:27:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
OK they were born in the southern part of the United States so if they need to fly a flag there is dumb one with the same ass colors they can use. The Confederate or "Rebel' flag is the flag they flew when they waged a war to continue to enslave people. And they fucking lost. They lost then and they would lose now. It's just a little piece of poop at the end to let you know how they really feel because coded messages were all they had left. Anyone flying it for any other reason is a self deluded asshole. It really only means one thing.
Fax!
Also, this got me thinking of what a modern iteration of the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard would have on its roof?
Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:38:27 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2022, 02:34:17 PM »
Most of my friends from Atlanta can attest Thomas is not really an all inclusive type of guy if you know what I mean.

Word is from some friends in Atlanta that  Thomas Taylor isn't Grant's biological dad.

work_lurker

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2022, 02:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Fax!
Also, this got me thinking of what a modern iteration of the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard would have on its roof?
Your thoughts?

Millions of peaches, peaches for free.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Fax!
Your thoughts?
[close]

Millions of peaches, peaches for free.
It would be a gritty reboot of dukes of Hazzard. They main guys would be black the flag would be rainbow and they'd be trying to get away from a racist homophobic boss hog.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2022, 08:32:44 PM »
Muska still hasn’t found true love

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2022, 10:54:29 PM »
Danny Way spawned Chris Jolson’s baby w/ Chris’s wife Julia during their 2 week separation.
This is why the child’s name is Daniel Junior & not Christopher #2.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2022, 12:17:07 AM »
gator killed his girlfriend

Dark?  Absolutely!

Obscure?  Eh! (*Larry David inflection).

"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2022, 12:27:35 AM »
Other than that, I suppose the Fabry banging Sheffey's wife and Sheffey on finding out, beating Fabry to a bloody pulp and running him out of professional skateboarding is pretty dark for me.  Just not sure how obscure it actually is.  Not to mention I've got pretty delicate sensibilities.
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

quaintly

• Rep: 12
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2022, 02:08:26 AM »
does anyone know if a small child really died at a vert demo in the 80,s after a board flew out and hit them in the head?
is this rumour , myth, urban legend , or a factual skateboarding dark hidden secret?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2022, 03:41:13 AM »
Other than that, I suppose the Fabry banging Sheffey's wife and Sheffey on finding out, beating Fabry to a bloody pulp and running him out of professional skateboarding is pretty dark for me.  Just not sure how obscure it actually is.  Not to mention I've got pretty delicate sensibilities.

out of all of the wife's he goes for sheffey's

Brguy

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2022, 03:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Anyone flying it for any other reason is a self deluded asshole. It really only means one thing.
Yikes.