Author Topic: Why didn't Howard Grind stick?  (Read 5716 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1492
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Why didn't Howard Grind stick?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
Expand Quote
There’s something about skaters naming tricks after their name that just irks me. I remember reading about how tony hawk named the stale fish. It has aspects of a story and setting behind it that’s actually memorable.

Mike smith and Allen gelfand were probably smith grinding and doing ollies for awhile but it would be really awesome to be able to pinpoint the exact session they invented the trick.

I imagine there’s all types of names for tricks that didn’t stick. For instance, I hate the name blizzard flip. I would never call it that.
[close]

I hate the name laser flip and it's ugly so I feel you there. Also Bennet grinds are sick and I wish I could do them.
You don't have to like the name laser flip. It indicates your level of skate nerdery by showing you know its origin. The laser noises in this part by super tech dude Mike Hayes.
https://youtu.be/pMc0qj_ISgo?t=301

sk8ordontordie

• Rep: -16
  • I like to skate
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »
Howard grind doesn’t roll off the tongue very well. Rick flip does. He still has that. The Howie grind he does in Carroll’s part in Modus is forever in my brain, though. So perfect.
That was Scott Johnston
Welcome to slap message board

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2020, 07:14:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

.... is there Henry Sanchez anything?  ...

[close]

I've heard Sanchez Grind for a BS 180 Fakie FS 5-0 (top right seq here)

excuse my ignorance but where can i see the footage for the top right sequence?

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »
I don’t think that footage ever saw the light of day. Was supposed to be in the second Blind video before they all bounced to do Girl/Chocolate

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Oh and another while i'm thinking about it, was a backside sugarcane {on transition obviously - do people do sugarcanes in the street?!} ever a miller grind? - is there are a miller grind or is this a melted memory?
[close]
kenny anderson refers to them as such
https://youtu.be/ip--2ht-rDs?t=12

Expand Quote
Anybody remember calling a Feeble a “Grapefruit grind?”
[close]
chris cole mentioned it on the nine club as an alley-oop frontside 180 to switch feeble

Thank you legend! I tried to google miller grind to no avail before I made the thread but I was sure I'd heard or read it at least once.

Yeah my idea of a 'grapefruit' grind is the frontside alleyoop 180 to switch feeble, and i feel like that is a trick that should actually be named. We'll only see it more in the future.

Also, someone said "Howard grind" doesn't roll off the tongue, I'd have to argue that the less syllables kind of makes it roll off the tongue easier/better than "180 to switch crooked grind".

I don't like this 180 to switch grind idea though. I guess that stems from coming to understand 180 Nosegrinds as a kid. It's not switch unless you went switch into it {in my opinion} - I've seen this bitched on about plenty on here before though so whatever. To each their own.

I did ask this as an aside in my original post, but has anyone ever done/has anyone ever seen a sugarcane not on transition?

that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 11:06:07 PM »
i'm pretty sure i saw a street bs sugarcane in some video, but i can't recall by who in which one. so feel free to distrust me.

other than that, cool trivia in here. love grapefruit grind.

i agree on the switch nomenclature, but i often fuck it up myself. we had another thread a while ago where chuckramone and assflea and me discussed manny terminology in regards to switch and fakie, and that is already complicated enough.

saw this genesis evans part in that other thread where he does a pupecki grind back to regs, i wrote out the whole composite trick name instead, bs 180 fakie bs 5-0 to regs. to regs is probably not a real trick adjective. i felt bad for typing such a convoluted trick name, haha.

than you have people that say when fakie bs and fs are the other way around since you should pretend when naming the trick that the skater went forwards. then others claim that is bullshit. see discussions about wether a halfcab is fs or bs, which gets totally muddled if one has the oldschool concept of determining fakie turn orientation or the modern one where bs and fs are always about wether you turn back or front, cause they will inevitably mix up and assume the other one has it the wrong way, while basically talking about a different trick/turn direction. it's funny.

in my country, willy grinds are called fuchs grind, because there was a german dude i think with the surname fuchs who did them. that's what the people say at least. also, just now realizing that fuchs must be a funny surname for native english speakers.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 11:23:33 PM »
Maybe someone on foundation did the sugarcane on a rail, but I mostly remember Matt Berger doing them...

I thought I saw Gonz or Dave Crabb do a feebs on a curb and it said 'grapefruit grind'....

The 90's just seemed like there was no more use for names....it was math from here on in.  It made sense because names would just get stupid....like a kickflip noseslide...thank god it doesn't have a name....

Even back 180 nosegrind....yes that doesn't necessarily describe the trick correctly but you know what the shit I'm saying......

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 11:36:19 PM »
anyone has thoughts on blindside/alley-oop/"the hard way" approaches and how they are different or same? what's the preferred nomenclature that the most people understand?

always saw blindside used when a skater would do, say, a kickflip to fakie in transition, but over a gap between ramps, with their back towards where they are going.

alley oop and hard way seem pretty much to be the same concept/thing, but applied to different trajectories or spots. alley oops into grinds and slides or to describe spin against travel direction when doing tricks in transition for example, hard way seems similar, but more used when people gap over rails or do a flip from the unintuitive angle. like bs flip over a handrail you approach bs vs fs flip over a rail approached backside. or a hardflip over a rail approached fs, whereas the bs approach seems easier for the board to clear the rail.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2020, 08:07:24 AM »
anyone has thoughts on blindside/alley-oop/"the hard way" approaches and how they are different or same? what's the preferred nomenclature that the most people understand?

always saw blindside used when a skater would do, say, a kickflip to fakie in transition, but over a gap between ramps, with their back towards where they are going.

alley oop and hard way seem pretty much to be the same concept/thing, but applied to different trajectories or spots. alley oops into grinds and slides or to describe spin against travel direction when doing tricks in transition for example, hard way seems similar, but more used when people gap over rails or do a flip from the unintuitive angle. like bs flip over a handrail you approach bs vs fs flip over a rail approached backside. or a hardflip over a rail approached fs, whereas the bs approach seems easier for the board to clear the rail.

Growing up I used ally oop but a few years ago I heard (approaching ledge frontside) a front 180 switch back 5050 referred to as a coffee grinder and I’ve called them that since for unintuitive grind tricks.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1492
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2020, 08:19:35 AM »
I thought I saw Gonz or Dave Crabb do a feebs on a curb and it said 'grapefruit grind'....
I'll bet on Gonz. The caption said something about crushing a grapefruit.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2537
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2020, 08:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Howard grind doesn’t roll off the tongue very well. Rick flip does. He still has that. The Howie grind he does in Carroll’s part in Modus is forever in my brain, though. So perfect.
[close]
That was Scott Johnston

They're different tricks. Johnston does a fs 180 fakie/switch crooked grind, like the one Sanch does in one of the earlier posts. Howard does a fs 180 5-0 on a rail approaching backside, so it's a 180 "overcrook" (2:56)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:29:58 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

.... is there Henry Sanchez anything?  ...

Did he invent the, "Dirty Sanchez"?
[close]

I've heard Sanchez Grind for a BS 180 Fakie FS 5-0 (top right seq here)

[close]
excuse my ignorance but where can i see the footage for the top right sequence?

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
i can see sugarcane on a rail, since it's similar to coping
is sugarcane on a ledge nbd?
here's the closest i can think of
https://youtu.be/03XOukJCwlg?t=341
back lip -> sugarcane

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »
i've found sugarcane examples on a handrail now. someone lead me to matt berger doing them.

but i'd love to see one on a ledge. sort of past the point of the thread now - it'd be be wild to go past sugarcane and put the front truck down instead and grind in a switch front smith position. that'd be a trip.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
That was Scott Johnston
[close]

They're different tricks. Johnston does a fs 180 fakie/switch crooked grind, like the one Sanch does in one of the earlier posts. Howard does a fs 180 5-0 on a rail approaching backside, so it's a 180 "overcrook" (2:56)

You’re right! At any rate, if I were to associate Howard with a grind it would be that one. But that’s only because I grew up on Modus and not the earlier vids.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
him grind rail instead? me not know

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh and another while i'm thinking about it, was a backside sugarcane {on transition obviously - do people do sugarcanes in the street?!} ever a miller grind? - is there are a miller grind or is this a melted memory?
[close]
kenny anderson refers to them as such
https://youtu.be/ip--2ht-rDs?t=12

Expand Quote
Anybody remember calling a Feeble a “Grapefruit grind?”
[close]
chris cole mentioned it on the nine club as an alley-oop frontside 180 to switch feeble
[close]

Thank you legend! I tried to google miller grind to no avail before I made the thread but I was sure I'd heard or read it at least once.

Yeah my idea of a 'grapefruit' grind is the frontside alleyoop 180 to switch feeble, and i feel like that is a trick that should actually be named. We'll only see it more in the future.

Also, someone said "Howard grind" doesn't roll off the tongue, I'd have to argue that the less syllables kind of makes it roll off the tongue easier/better than "180 to switch crooked grind".

I don't like this 180 to switch grind idea though. I guess that stems from coming to understand 180 Nosegrinds as a kid. It's not switch unless you went switch into it {in my opinion} - I've seen this bitched on about plenty on here before though so whatever. To each their own.

I did ask this as an aside in my original post, but has anyone ever done/has anyone ever seen a sugarcane not on transition?

Gonz does a grapefruit grind on that long flat bar in Video days right?