Author Topic: Is Fred Gall's part in Sub Zero "real life" the best video part of all time?  (Read 7392 times)

Chippedwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Is the best video part of all time hidden in a shop video made in the mid 90's?
I got this VHS video from a weird shop/patio furniture retailer in 1995 for 4$ I think the place was called Pelican Sports in Jersey. Fred Galls part has a great flow, he lands everything bolts and his style is better than Penny's, freddy got a lil sloppy as he got older but this shit is way better than Muska and the song pulls it all together, This is real timeless street skating, its real chill and holds up better than a lot of footy made in the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:46:18 AM by Chippedwood »

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
It's a good part but that is a pretty big claim and I don't think anyone can ever answer that question. It shows how tech can be done tastefully, but it doesn't even compare to Carroll in goldfish. That part is is the ultimate portrayal of street skating, youth, and the improvisational nature of filming in the nineties.

Inb4 someone comes in here to talk about Gonz in video days (Lee's part was so much better)

sultsult

• Rep: -12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
you're totally right..

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
could be
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

Chippedwood

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
It's a good part but that is a pretty big claim and I don't think anyone can ever answer that question. It shows how tech can be done tastefully, but it doesn't even compare to Carroll in goldfish. That part is is the ultimate portrayal of street skating, youth, and the improvisational nature of filming in the nineties.

Inb4 someone comes in here to talk about Gonz in video days (Lee's part was so much better)
carroll is fun and his part is a newer version of gonz video days, but not refined enough to be best video part of all time, you have to take into account the context of all skateboarding and the current state of skating.
best video part of all time can't have a person pushing with their front foot, sorry but switch mongo pushers to back of the line, this is partially why freddy's part is so good, he follows the rules, he pushes with his back foot and turns around properly, no park footy, no altered spots, no proped up grates or signs

colt cannon lunchbox

Expand Quote

[close]
carroll is fun and his part is a newer version of gonz video days, but not refined enough to be best video part of all time, you have to take into account the context of all skateboarding and the current state of skating.
best video part of all time can't have a person pushing with their front foot, sorry but switch mongo pushers to back of the line, this is partially why freddy's part is so good, he follows the rules, he pushes with his back foot and turns around properly, no park footy, no altered spots, no proped up grates or signs

wait til DGKalis sees this

billyerlife

Yeah, and The Beatles are better than the Stones. Being a contrarian isn't interesting anymore, fuck off trollboy.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3370
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
If someone could dm me with the correct answer to this question I feel like it'd really help me to fit in finally.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
Did mike Carroll ever do "the junk tuck"?! Dig people...dig!!!

Chippedwood

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

wait til DGKalis sees this

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
Chris Dobstaff in Subject to Change would like to have a word with you...
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

colt cannon lunchbox

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, and The Beatles are better than the Stones. Being a contrarian isn't interesting anymore, fuck off trollboy.

Yeah you're right I should just mindlessly agree with what everyone else likes. Who needs to have original ideas right? So passé

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
It's not even Fred Gall's best part

Fred Ball

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • Dirts win

I'm saying though

meadowsoprano

• Rep: -4

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
Matt Reason's 411 part
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
if your over the age of 30, switch mongo is cultural...if it works for Mike C, Gino, and Stevie then it's officially allowed.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
if your over the age of 30, switch mongo is cultural...if it works for Mike C, Gino, and Stevie then it's officially allowed.
There is no culture. Only good ideas and bad ideas. Switch mongo feels good but looks bad. Fact.

Dishka

• Rep: 16
Expand Quote
[close]
There is no culture. Only good ideas and bad ideas. Switch mongo feels good but looks bad. Fact.

Enrique and Sarmiento will have to disagree with you

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
You ask a question about Fred Gall . . . and didn't use a Poll . . . wtf is happening to SLAP?

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
in 1995 nobody was saying shit if Henry pushed switch mongo at EMB...it was the norm for the times. Now it is the norm to talk down if a guy pushes switch mongo. Being 37 and living through that era I feel that is paying homage to keep the switch mongo alive.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
in 1995 nobody was saying shit if Henry pushed switch mongo at EMB...it was the norm for the times. Now it is the norm to talk down if a guy pushes switch mongo. Being 37 and living through that era I feel that is paying homage to keep the switch mongo alive.
I can push switch but choose not to. 39 and don't care what the kids think. Also, living in London it's not that big of a deal here.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
i hope youre happy chipped wood. i hope youre fucking happy.

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
i prefer mosaic

Jacob Gary

Do people really think it's a style thing to push switch mongo though?

I mean really, you learned the trick switch and you can't even be bothered to learn how to push the proper fucking way?

Just because it was acceptable in the 90's, doesn't make it okay today.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!

I mean really, you learned the trick switch and you can't even be bothered to learn how to push the proper fucking way?

What if it's fakie? Cry baby millenniels

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
Purists know that training yourself to push switch is tantamount to faking your style. This isn't catholic school.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
Switch mongo doesn't look like a kooky beginner pushing mongo. Notoriously amazing tech skaters throw down a good switch mongo and I back the fuck out of it. I understand the other side of it too, but you can't just say its wack, because it is not cut and dry like that.

Jacob Gary

Expand Quote

[close]
What if it's fakie? Cry baby millenniels

Dawg I'm 33.