Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 48299 times)

moneymoneymoney

Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2020, 09:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
i rolled my ankle really bad and even after 2 months, its still pretty fried. even worse is that every once in a while, the inside of my foot from my big toe all the way to my arch starts spazzing out and twitches super gnarly. also, when i stretch my legs in bed, my leg from the knee down gets this shooting pain and my entire foot starts shaking uncontrollably. has anyone else experienced this? i can walk but only on flat surfaces. curbs are challenge and stairs are an absolute "no." on inclines, i have to walk diagonally and very slowly.
[close]

At this point you might need an x-ray.  I rolled an ankle a few years back a bit of my fibula was broken off by a ligament
(rather than the ligament snap, the bone to which it was attached broke off).

Try rolling your foot on a ball, a hard ball like a golf ball or lacrosse or baseball pressing under the arch of your foot.  Also roll the calf on the ball (lay on your back put the ball on a short table or chair with leg on top of ball).  Things might have tightened up in there as you have protected the injury.

that would probably explain why my knee gets sore when i lay on my back with the outer part of my foot, flat on the bed.......whatever. ill only go to the doctor if my leg is falling off. every doctor ive seen has always tried to load me up on narcotics or benzos and fucked up bill to pay. not saying all doctors are quacks but the all the ones that ive seen are fucked.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2020, 06:50:23 AM »
Think I posted this in another thread, but I slammed on my wrist really bad back in June, but I only found out last week that I actually broke my scaphoid. When I went to the doctor in June they told me I was fine so I just treated it like a sprain. Since I didn't do anything to it for nearly 3 months I have to get a screw put in place and I'm a little nervous about it. Read a couple anecdotes online that said it went fine, but anyone else ever deal with that?

also, maybe a dumb question, but I've still been skating and even filmed the bulk of a video part after breaking my wrist. It obviously sucks if I slam on it but I've otherwise gotten pretty good at taking the impact anywhere but my wrist. Would it be dumb to keep skating after the surgery with a cast? Cuz by time this thing heals will probably be winter, and I dunno if I could deal with not skating until Spring 2021, even if it's just low impact.

Peepeeboy69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »
hit it off with a girl on tinder and was gonna go fuck and then ate shit on a crack that i roll over twice a day. Shit was crazy i rolled onto it and instead of going over it hit the other side so hard a chunk of the ground came out the size of like 3 wendys chicken nuggets and i was instantly pitched. Scraped both my palms pretty bad hopefully she will still let me touch her boobs

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »
I’m hoping she does! 

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
Think I posted this in another thread, but I slammed on my wrist really bad back in June, but I only found out last week that I actually broke my scaphoid. When I went to the doctor in June they told me I was fine so I just treated it like a sprain. Since I didn't do anything to it for nearly 3 months I have to get a screw put in place and I'm a little nervous about it. Read a couple anecdotes online that said it went fine, but anyone else ever deal with that?

also, maybe a dumb question, but I've still been skating and even filmed the bulk of a video part after breaking my wrist. It obviously sucks if I slam on it but I've otherwise gotten pretty good at taking the impact anywhere but my wrist. Would it be dumb to keep skating after the surgery with a cast? Cuz by time this thing heals will probably be winter, and I dunno if I could deal with not skating until Spring 2021, even if it's just low impact.
I’ve broken each of my wrists 3 times but no metal.  I always skated in casts and didn’t have any trouble.  I have 18 pieces of metal in my body all on my right side/I’m goofy and fall forward usually.  When I got the first compound fracture on my humerus I skated in a sling and it fucked up my rotator cuff or whatever that’s called, so don’t if your cast is past your elbow but if it’s just a short cast your golden.  In my case my body never rejected the metal but I think it’s different person to person.  Hopefully the metal works for you, my metal gets a little achy with Big barometric  Changes like rain or snow coming in but it’s very manageable.  Pulling for you!

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 72
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2020, 03:06:47 AM »
Hi Slap,

since summer '19 I've had bad luck with my calf muscle. Strained it badly first, and tried to patiently let it heal up. It seems however that this one is a repeating issue, latest incidence last week. No swelling, can walk normally so I guess it's not that serious this time. Looking for empathy, tips and experiences. Obviously, time to let it rest now for at least two weeks..

non-playable character

• Rep: 15
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2020, 04:21:04 AM »
broke my left ankle skating chelsea piers on a family visit to nyc once. two weeks after i got the green light to skate i broke my right tibia. wasn't able to skate for 7 months total i think. 2013 was a fucked year for me.

Tic-Tac God

• Rep: 5
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2020, 05:47:55 AM »
Bilateral Vestibulopathy with Oscillopsia. It started 4 years ago. Inner ear stuff. No cure. My internal "Steady Cam" is broken so whenever I move the world bounces around. Can't skate in any meaningful way any more. (Electric Skateboard shame) I had a good run though. 42 years on the board. All I could do is carve and grind anyway. Heal up and get back out there fuckers.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
Anyone ever deal with a Morton’s Neuroma?

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 112
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »
Bilateral Vestibulopathy with Oscillopsia. It started 4 years ago. Inner ear stuff. No cure. My internal "Steady Cam" is broken so whenever I move the world bounces around. Can't skate in any meaningful way any more. (Electric Skateboard shame) I had a good run though. 42 years on the board. All I could do is carve and grind anyway. Heal up and get back out there fuckers.

Sorry to hear that man, that really blows. 42 years is a great run. I blew out an ear drum once and while that isnt close to what youre dealing with, it definitely fucked with my balance for a while and I cant go deeper than a couple feet in water now and plane rides are torture. I just got back home from a session and reading this makes me want to go back out there

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »
When I was 12 I slammed on a vert ramp learning rock to fakies and almost broke my hip.
About a decade ago I tried a Frontside 180 over a tiny jump to jump, bailed out but didn't kick my board far enough away landed on it with one foot spun around and sat on the other foot. Tore my ACL and meniscus, which I had fixed up 18 months later.

Last summer I was pushing down the street with a fresh coffee in my hand doing little manuals. Got wheel bite put the front wheels down stepped off with the back foot to get balance ran over the back foot while trying to get balance and piled into the ground resulting in a broken rib and a wasted coffee. I asked the guy getting in his truck if he saw it and he was just laughing.

One of the worst ones was learning spine transfers in 87ish. Instead of bashing my tail like a lien to tail. I missed. I recall laying on my back on the tranny unable to move any body part or breath at all. Looking up at my friends and whispering help me cause I couldn't get the air in or out. Couldn't turn my head, lift my legs or wiggle my fingers. They just sat their looking at me.  I was winded but did something else that paralyzed me for a minute or two. Must have been one of the more scarier moments in my life.

just got diagnosed w multiple fractures of ribs, what kinda recovery time am i lookin at? i got got by a beer can in the bowl.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »

Did you end up getting the surgery? I broke my scaphoid two weeks ago. They found cysts on the bone after CT scans that may have something to do with early arthritis, but they weren't very clear about it and i'm confused. I broke it twelve years ago and never had problems since. Surgery and bone graft is an option but not completely necessary for me. I'm not sure if I should go through with it.

Merman

• Rep: -36
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
In honor of me breaking my nose last week while skating, I'd like to welcome people to share their favorite/worst injuries.

I wish i had video of mine because I landed on my face hard a-f.

Going downhill too quickly, tumble, then scraaaaaaaaping away a lot of skin and mixing it with sand and pavement, plus a broken wrist bonus.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2020, 04:12:37 AM »
that bone deep in your asscheek, pretty sure i bruised that thing

also anyone have any extensor tendonitis experience?

pretty sure thats why i have this dull pain on the top of my foot all the time

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
  • old and in the way
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
So my sprain from Aug 9 was actually a fracture. The first doctor misread the X-rays. I was walking and working on it for awhile (over a month and a half) until my doctor got me into see an ortho surgeon. Fracture of distal end of left fibula with non union, torn paroneal tendon, torn talofibular ligament, and pain like a mofo. I was talking NSAIDS for the swelling and pain before I got the correct diagnosis and since I have GI issues so I fucked up my gut super bad and had to get a procedure and meds. I'm supposed to do PT then surgery and then PT. I spent all yesterday trying to find a PT with a pool or an infinity pool for aqua therapy script. Any NYC heads know of any aqua therapy PTs or straight up inexpensive pools that aren't closed due to cover? NYC Parks and Rec and YMCA are closed. Chelsea piers no longer does PT and is 200 monthly, and you have to sign on for a year - no month to month. Any help would be appreciated. XO

GooseDick69

• Rep: 2
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2020, 04:33:44 PM »
Dealing with my first ever heel bruises. On both heels. Can barley walk and I stand on my feet all day at work. Shits wack as fuck.
Rap, Go to the league, or do a Kickflip.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2021, 01:59:10 PM »
Wondering how you people are recovering from your injuries. Interested on hearing from people who had ACL surgery...

I collided with a tree snowboarding and injured my left kneecap, weeks later I slipped in the kitchen and hyper-extended same knee. The MRI said I had a MCL/ACL complete tear, multi focal bone bruising, etc. It's been 1.5 years now, in the beginning I went to PT but never fully recovered. I will be getting an ACL reconstruction done soon. Apparently my MCL healed on its own, although I have "Steiner-like" lesion, where my MCL is displaced.

I can only skate switch for now, my left leg used to be the front but it's painful to bear weight on it...

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
Folded my ankle for the second time this month. Swelling hasn't gone down after a week. Pretty bummed. Nothing too major, just frustrating. I'm on a new med that was making me dizzy for the first week but I still tried to go skate. Gonna work on strengthening both my ankles once it gets healthy

I've had cartilage in my knee replaced, but it wasn't specifically from skating but possibly made it worse by skating. Best thing I've done since then, was strengthening my legs by working out. Heavily recommend to anyone when they are healthy enough
The chillest1

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2021, 11:09:11 PM »
Folded my ankle for the second time this month. Swelling hasn't gone down after a week. Pretty bummed. Nothing too major, just frustrating. I'm on a new med that was making me dizzy for the first week but I still tried to go skate. Gonna work on strengthening both my ankles once it gets healthy

I've had cartilage in my knee replaced, but it wasn't specifically from skating but possibly made it worse by skating. Best thing I've done since then, was strengthening my legs by working out. Heavily recommend to anyone when they are healthy enough

I hate working out but I guess I will have to once I'm strong enough!! The problem is I'm extremely lazy

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2021, 05:29:45 AM »
Rolled my ankle on a bank. Pulled ligaments and instead of them breaking away from the bone they pulled the bone with it so had to get it screwed down. Avulsion fracture think it was called. Was my Ollie/push foot and Shits never been the same

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »
ruptured shoulder ligaments this weekend playing football (soccer).  First 'friendly' game back for our vets team and got flattened.

hopefully only take a month or so to heal, then physio . . .

Gutted as weather picking up and lighter nights meant more time on the board was looking promising

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2021, 07:49:29 PM »
Just strained my MCL (level I) for the third time in as many years... it's not as bad as last year's level II, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever make it a year of skateboarding without this happening. Such a gut wrenching sound and feeling, I'm just fortunate it's not an ACL issue or something deeper.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for or experience doing PT for this type of knee ligament injury (MCL or LCL... I feel ACL and meniscus are different beasts but could be wrong). Quick recovery is my goal and I get R.I.C.E., but I'm looking looking for specific rehabbing movements or exercises. I guess I need to work on strengthening supporting muscles in my legs as well as overall flexibility so my joint doesn't keep stretching and twisting when I bail. My MCL is probably scarred since it happened so often, so it needs a lil backup.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

chrisskates808

« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »
A friend of mine injured his ankle. The stupid part was when the EMT asked me if it that's broken. She was a bitch too.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2021, 02:49:04 AM »
Just rolled my ankle this past weekend trying to learn fakie varial heels, damn near landed one and my back foot slipped off the tail and folded.

That's the third time in the last 8/9 months i've rolled the same one, seems to happen about every 4 months - i take physio and rehab pretty seriously too... and all the other necessaries, mid top shoes laced well, insoles etc etc.

Does anyone else have flat feet and weak/hypermobile ankles? I can pretty much roll my ankles inwards so my sole is at 90 degrees (always had this flexibility), this seems to be a double edged sword in that it's harder to fully tear anything because all the ligaments on the outside of my ankle are so lax, but it does seem to make me more prone to rolling them in the first place :(

it's been two days and no meaningful bruising or swelling, and didn't have any telltale crunch or popping noises when it happened, so i think I've dodged a bullet this time...but, long term, how long can i go on rolling my ankles and keeping skating.

I'm hesitant to skate in a brace because I don't really want to pass injuries up to my knee, but if it keeps happening I'll need to at least consider it I think.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2021, 03:16:37 AM »
Back in about '98 (I was 18ish) I ruptured my ACL and damaged my meniscus in my front knee skating a little hubba. Bailed on one like a million times before, but my knee buckled inwards and that was it.

I never got surgery at the time (a mistake), but managed to get skating again a year or so later. I stuck to mini ramp and bowls until I was about 31 when a new career took priority, and lost all my popped tricks except ollies because I was scared to kick or land funny. Weirdly, I could fs ollie on transition despite the potential for disaster. The power of desire I suppose.

Picked up my board again at 39/40, the year before the pandemic and promptly blew out my ragged-ass ACL and tore up my meniscus again. I had reconstruction at the beginning of March '21, and I'm hoping that with that help I can eke out another 8-10 years of  curb skating etc.

Incredibly, other than smashing up my teeth skating a gap when I was 17 or so and a nasty ankle sprain at about 27 or 28, that's all... not bad considering my distinct lack of talent.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2021, 05:39:11 AM »
Anyone here dealt with disc prolapse/herniations before? I'm able to walk ok but getting in and out of bed is a chore and I can't bend forward very far without feeling any pain or extreme tightness. It sucks to go from a sitting to standing position too. My wrist only healed up in the last month , so with skating out of the question indefinitely at this point i'm feeling extremely defeated right now. I basically hurt my back by going a bit too low on a squat in the gym, even though the weight wasn't heavy my body still wasn't prepared after a year off.

Skatebeard

« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
Anyone here dealt with disc prolapse/herniations before? I'm able to walk ok but getting in and out of bed is a chore and I can't bend forward very far without feeling any pain or extreme tightness. It sucks to go from a sitting to standing position too. My wrist only healed up in the last month , so with skating out of the question indefinitely at this point i'm feeling extremely defeated right now. I basically hurt my back by going a bit too low on a squat in the gym, even though the weight wasn't heavy my body still wasn't prepared after a year off.

Recently had some lower back issues that I thought were serious and turned out to be pretty fixable.

has the prolapse/herniation been properly diagnosed (MRI etc)?

My osteopath was convinced that was my issue (degenerative discs actually, but that's more or less the same thing), her treatment plan was getting me nowhere, went to a sports physio and I've had a few sessions of IMS/dry needling and it's worked absolute wonders - turns out my osteopath was way off, got me all worried for no reason.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2021, 08:59:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Recently had some lower back issues that I thought were serious and turned out to be pretty fixable.

has the prolapse/herniation been properly diagnosed (MRI etc)?

My osteopath was convinced that was my issue (degenerative discs actually, but that's more or less the same thing), her treatment plan was getting me nowhere, went to a sports physio and I've had a few sessions of IMS/dry needling and it's worked absolute wonders - turns out my osteopath was way off, got me all worried for no reason.

Thanks for the response. I got an x ray and the conclusion had prolapse marked with a (?) along with some degeneration of a few joints and discs but nothing abnormal.
Mostly age related wear, which I was told can be found in a lot of otherwise healthy people from about 20yo and upwards. I think I might get a second opinion because my doctor didn't seem very confident about what I should do considering treatment. She just told me to go swimming and see a physiotherapist.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
Just rolled my ankle this past weekend trying to learn fakie varial heels, damn near landed one and my back foot slipped off the tail and folded.

That's the third time in the last 8/9 months i've rolled the same one, seems to happen about every 4 months - i take physio and rehab pretty seriously too... and all the other necessaries, mid top shoes laced well, insoles etc etc.

Does anyone else have flat feet and weak/hypermobile ankles? I can pretty much roll my ankles inwards so my sole is at 90 degrees (always had this flexibility), this seems to be a double edged sword in that it's harder to fully tear anything because all the ligaments on the outside of my ankle are so lax, but it does seem to make me more prone to rolling them in the first place :(

it's been two days and no meaningful bruising or swelling, and didn't have any telltale crunch or popping noises when it happened, so i think I've dodged a bullet this time...but, long term, how long can i go on rolling my ankles and keeping skating.

I'm hesitant to skate in a brace because I don't really want to pass injuries up to my knee, but if it keeps happening I'll need to at least consider it I think.

I feel you mate. I rolled my ankles every year for the last 12 years. I couldn't take it anymore so I got ankle braces. Skating doesn't seem any different since I wear these.
You just have to find nice flexible ankle braces and adjust for a bit. But it's better that way ya know.
IG: @flowterspace

Skatebeard

« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2021, 06:54:41 AM »
Good news from my physio today, he scanned my ankle and all my ligaments are intact, no tears, just a bit of fluid. Was pleased to hear i still have an ATFL too (apprently it's pretty common to tear this completely and still have a functional ankle).

Apparently its a grade 1 sprain so with rehab i should be back on the board in 2 weeks and more or less fully healed in 3-4 weeks. Good news all round really.

I had the brace conversation with him, and his general advice was to wear ankle braces when skating (in my case), apparently having lax ankle ligaments means i'm less likely to tear them, but more likely to roll my ankle in the first place - which is what i suspected. He said that as far as prevention goes, most NBA players tape or brace their ankles for games, so there must be something to it.

He said you could do all the ankle strengthening and prehab/rehab in the world, but if you land wrong then there's always the possibility of an ankle roll due to sheer physics, it's pretty impossible to take it out of skating as risk, so bracing is a sensible next best thing alongside a decent amount of rehab folling a sprain.