Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114813 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 16, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
Here are a couple of links that have names of woodshops in China, who supply to some of the biggest names in the skate industry.

https://www.listthe.com/skateboard

https://matchory.com/top-skateboard-manufacturing-companies

List includes:

HUIZHOU EXCEL SPORTING GOODS LTD

HUIZHOU CHOP CHOP WOODSHOP CO LTD (Dwindle)

ZHONGSHAN JEEPING WOODEN INDUSTRIAL

As was said earlier, when you see names like Crailtap or NHS we know all their stuff is made in China now, but names like Skate One (Powell) or Deluxe, it would seem it is only their cheap completes, or other goods that come from China, not their normal wood or their pro trucks or Spitfire wheels, etc.

I know this has been posted before, but having the links all in the one post is easier for me too:

https://sgbonline.com/dwindle-opens-chop-chop-wood-shop-in-china-for-skate-decks/

My current pair of spits had a made in china label on them

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1953
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #631 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Here are a couple of links that have names of woodshops in China, who supply to some of the biggest names in the skate industry.

https://www.listthe.com/skateboard

https://matchory.com/top-skateboard-manufacturing-companies

List includes:

HUIZHOU EXCEL SPORTING GOODS LTD

HUIZHOU CHOP CHOP WOODSHOP CO LTD (Dwindle)

ZHONGSHAN JEEPING WOODEN INDUSTRIAL

As was said earlier, when you see names like Crailtap or NHS we know all their stuff is made in China now, but names like Skate One (Powell) or Deluxe, it would seem it is only their cheap completes, or other goods that come from China, not their normal wood or their pro trucks or Spitfire wheels, etc.

I know this has been posted before, but having the links all in the one post is easier for me too:

https://sgbonline.com/dwindle-opens-chop-chop-wood-shop-in-china-for-skate-decks/
[close]

My current pair of spits had a made in china label on them

Got a pic of the label? I know their new range of price point wheels are called Flashpoint going for $25 which is the same price as their Scorchers. Maybe these are made in China now while the Classic and F4 are made in North America (and Mexico)?

My question is - is DSM a specific woodshop or a process? I've seen a couple of brands in China with the DSM cardboard insert (the one gripping the rail of the deck). And it's unlikely that Dwindle would work with a woodshop with only 1 production facility. I'm sure they have a few scattered around China to support the demand.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #632 on: October 16, 2020, 06:42:30 PM »
Would it be safe to assume that almost all price point product nowdays would be made in China, including those variants on Zumiez Spitfire wheels then?

I saw the most recent lot of DLX pricepoint decks were still BBS, but I guess things like those wheels would be easier to mass produce than other things, but I did see a pic of packaging on Spitfire Scorchers which had "Made in Mexico" on it.

Which version are they? A pic or just a link to shop would be good.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:00:05 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
« Reply #633 on: October 17, 2020, 02:05:16 AM »
Would it be safe to assume that almost all price point product nowdays would be made in China, including those variants on Zumiez Spitfire wheels then?

I saw the most recent lot of DLX pricepoint decks were still BBS, but I guess things like those wheels would be easier to mass produce than other things, but I did see a pic of packaging on Spitfire Scorchers which had "Made in Mexico" on it.

Which version are they? A pic or just a link to shop would be good.

If they're not loudly advertising where they're made then its almost always safe to assume it's china.

As far as skateone goes, I noticed that their newer Powell  completes are actually not even maple. They're birch. I'm curious how they feel. If anyone is brave enough to drop a hundred and twenty bones (get it?!?) on one please report back.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #634 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Foundation is Watson though, Watson’s Instagram account has their most recent boards on there. Could it be that Canadian and US boards are different?
[close]

That’s a new development then. Foundation used Watson for a while again back in the mid 2010s, but they went to BBS as well, then PS, then China. Probably using Watson after complaints on the China boards. Tum Yeto actually owns Watson but the woodshop presses primarily longboards and old school/pool shapes.

Foundation and Toy have been doing small runs like one-off special shapes and reissues through Watson here and there for a while. If you remember those Foundation 30th anniversary decks like the Markovich and Strubing ones, the initial runs of those were Watson but I think they later went back and ran them on PS as well. They don't advertise them specifically as Watson but they do say they're made and hand screened in the USA.

When the pandemic hit and it became really difficult to find wood they started doing more runs through them, and they're fairly easy to find right now. Those Foundation oval decks are Watson, as are the Toy "Original Monster" ones. They're still doing most of their stuff through PS but supplementing it with Watson more than they have in a long time. This is all the US market, so I'm not sure how common they are in other places or if you can even get them outside of the states. Here's the two I have right now.

Foundation is 8.25 x 31.8 14.38wb
Toy Machine is 8.38 x 31.7 14.13wb

The mold is interesting, it's very flat concave wise but the kicks are what I'd consider medium steep (the angle is pretty similar to the bbs mold traffic/TopX and a bunch of other smaller brands use). Don't have my tape measure with me but I'm pretty sure the nose is 7" and tail is 6.5".

Review -

I've been skating the foundation as my main setup for a week or two. I just got the TM yesterday and today will be my first session with it, so this is all based off just the foundation but I predict the TM will be much the same

As for the quality, I'm pretty in love with it right now. It has a very light pop feel, and when you snap a good ollie it kinda feels like you're floating. I've had the same feel with south central but those are a little heavier. I guess it almost feels like a combination of PS and SC wood to me or a stiffer version of PS. Durability seems solid and it hasn't lost much, if any, of its pop yet but im only about halfway through the second ply in terms of razor tail. Pretty good for probably 6-8 hours of total time on it though I only skate flat and curbs for the most part so I'm not too rough on boards.

Overall I'm really happy with it and glad I tried it. I thought I might have trouble adjusting to the flatter concave but if anything I'm skating better on it. Definitely recommend trying one if you're curious.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #635 on: October 17, 2020, 03:44:30 AM »

My question is - is DSM a specific woodshop or a process? I've seen a couple of brands in China with the DSM cardboard insert (the one gripping the rail of the deck). And it's unlikely that Dwindle would work with a woodshop with only 1 production facility. I'm sure they have a few scattered around China to support the demand.

I think it is still just one woodshop or physical location (but I would never really know how many places are manufacturing skateboards), because they can still single press in tall stacks of seven or eight each and still supply as many other brands and companies besides their own, given the other top woodshops with long lists of brands still function from one location for the most part.

This video from 2010 is interesting to see, re Dwindle process.

TumKayo

« Reply #636 on: October 18, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
Are the Anti Hero Classic eagle decks considered price point? I want to get the 9.0. Are they made out of the recycled wood that I read some Real price points are made of?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #637 on: October 18, 2020, 09:08:02 PM »
Are the Anti Hero Classic eagle decks considered price point? I want to get the 9.0. Are they made out of the recycled wood that I read some Real price points are made of?

All the eagles are on the good stuff, eg the orange 9 x 33 with a 15 wheelbase is great if you like really big long boards.

Some of the other ones of the same popsicle 9 width are not quite so long, eg Baker 9 is really the same length and wheelbase as most smaller boards, which is a bit weird to skate, but still works well enough.

TumKayo

« Reply #638 on: October 18, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »
Thanks. I’ve been riding a Heroin very big gold egg deck, and some other big shaped decks. Want to try an 8.75-9.25 popsicle with a long wheelbase. Looking at the classic eagles and the tactics 8.75.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #639 on: October 18, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »

I think the Anti-Hero Feeding Frenzy, Real Renewal Edition and Krooked Diamonds are the price point stuff. 
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #640 on: October 19, 2020, 04:13:33 AM »
This was the most recent price point AH series, the Budgie, unless they have another lot out since, as I have one of the old Feeding Frenzy from a couple of years ago, which still skates ok, but you can really tell the difference between the budget wood and the pro wood on the DLX brands.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring20/ah-spr20d1-09.jpg

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2020-drop-1/

Compare that to the current range, which seems a bit more streamlined.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/catalog/

* Note quite often I would see the AH team or price point boards were still done on the good wood, maybe if they ran out of cheap wood or just messed up in production, so I managed to snag quite a few which were amazing to skate.  The pro wood always had at least two or three colour ply layers, sometimes more and felt really stiff, but the cheap stuff often had only one on top more recently and used to have no coloured ply on some decks and were very soft and flexible, which I saw didn't last all that long for most of the people who skated them.  I could still skate them and not have any issues, but I don't skate half as hard as most people.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:21:59 AM by Mbrimson88 »

TumKayo

« Reply #641 on: October 19, 2020, 08:32:33 AM »
This was the most recent price point AH series, the Budgie, unless they have another lot out since, as I have one of the old Feeding Frenzy from a couple of years ago, which still skates ok, but you can really tell the difference between the budget wood and the pro wood on the DLX brands.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring20/ah-spr20d1-09.jpg

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2020-drop-1/

Compare that to the current range, which seems a bit more streamlined.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/catalog/

* Note quite often I would see the AH team or price point boards were still done on the good wood, maybe if they ran out of cheap wood or just messed up in production, so I managed to snag quite a few which were amazing to skate.  The pro wood always had at least two or three colour ply layers, sometimes more and felt really stiff, but the cheap stuff often had only one on top more recently and used to have no coloured ply on some decks and were very soft and flexible, which I saw didn't last all that long for most of the people who skated them.  I could still skate them and not have any issues, but I don't skate half as hard as most people.

Thanks guys. Man that spring 2020 catalog from AH is stacked and packed with shaped boards. Hope they do that again for spring 2021.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #642 on: October 22, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »

Order a bunch of boards from a shop and the used an old box for shipping. Couldn't help noticing the Toy Machine logo and the Made in China wording. Guess it confirms the COVID-19 batch of decks were not from US woodshops.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:09:19 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #643 on: October 22, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All the eagles are on the good stuff, eg the orange 9 x 33 with a 15 wheelbase is great if you like really big long boards.

Some of the other ones of the same popsicle 9 width are not quite so long, eg Baker 9 is really the same length and wheelbase as most smaller boards, which is a bit weird to skate, but still works well enough.

any insights on a 33 with 15 inch wheelbase but closer to 8.5? been on a hunt for a while and no dice. thinking i might just grab the orange eagle and deal with it.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #644 on: October 22, 2020, 03:57:28 PM »
any insights on a 33 with 15 inch wheelbase but closer to 8.5? been on a hunt for a while and no dice. thinking i might just grab the orange eagle and deal with it.

You seek a Powell or MiniLogo 181 shape, which is currently out of production but may be found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powell-Chin-Mask-Skate-Deck-Black-8-5x33-5-w-MOB-Grip-/333755226711

Glurmpz

« Reply #645 on: October 22, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »
So, some South Central feedback...

I just took a brand new Politic deck off because it was one of the heaviest, shittiest feeling boards I've had in years. When you tap it on the ground it feels soft and makes a dull thud instead of a crisp snap. Super let down.

I've had plenty of South Central pressed decks in the past, and I really liked them, but the last 2 I had were noticeably heavier and felt soft. Hate to say it but 2 shit decks in a row means I'll most likely never risk buying one of their boards again.

There's simply nothing as good as a nice steep BBS pressed board. Gonna buy an Anti Hero eagle tomorrow and take that hideous graphic off.

TumKayo

« Reply #646 on: October 22, 2020, 07:08:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Take a look at some of the welcome shapes. Moontrimmer 2.0, stonecipher, etc.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #647 on: October 22, 2020, 11:45:01 PM »
x-post from big board thread

Does anyone know if the Crailtap Couch/Loveseat decks are made of the current wood? I assume so since these released in June, but the product image lacks the laser engraving that all the current wood decks have (I'd rather not buy it and go through the hassle of returns if it turns out it's the old wood).

https://crailstore.com/collections/everything/#filter:type=decks&brand=crailtap&size=9&size=9-25
https://crailtap.com/2020/06/26/mini-top-5-dan-plunkett/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: October 23, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »

If you were in Australia, I can recommend Elan decks, as I have a couple with a 15 wheelbase and decent length, but if USA or other, I know some boards from Dwindle, mainly Madness did have those dimensions too.

Some shops online have search by wheelbase so even if you are not going to buy from the shop, you can still look up info from them and then search closer to your own location.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/shop/decks.html?wheelbase=652

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #649 on: October 23, 2020, 03:22:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Quasi usually has a 8.5x33 15WB in at least every drop.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: October 23, 2020, 03:28:46 AM »

Order a bunch of boards from a shop and the used an old box for shipping. Couldn't help noticing the Toy Machine logo and the Made in China wording. Guess it confirms the COVID-19 batch of decks were not from US woodshops.

I saw a few of the China made decks today in a local shop in Australia and stood on them just to see.  I  would not recommend them to anyone, the concave was deep across the width of the deck but the kicks were pretty mellow and had a lot of flex, so different to the good wood they were on as per other boards I had skated from them. Still at pro board prices too.  Quite sad really.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #651 on: October 23, 2020, 04:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Quasi usually has a 8.5x33 15WB in at least every drop.
Ew
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: October 23, 2020, 05:05:37 PM »

No Tumyeto production run (ie not special edition) decks I'm aware of are from a US woodshop other than the Ovals and OG monsters, and those are almost certainly only for the US market. Tumyeto using Chinese woodshops is nothing new and has been the standard in some non-US markets for a while. You can look back through the old woodshop threads from like 2017 and earlier and theres some discussion about it. The price points in the US have been chinese for a while and in some places in the EU almost everything seems to be chinese although I've also seen PS decks floating around in the UK shops. I'd imagine Asia/Oceania are the same.

Basically what I'm saying is that nothings really changed with how they're doing things other than some Watson production runs finding their way in and maybe some clutch runs to pick up the slack from PS (haven't confirmed that though). The chinese boards have always been there.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #653 on: October 23, 2020, 09:44:36 PM »

No Tumyeto production run (ie not special edition) decks I'm aware of are from a US woodshop other than the Ovals and OG monsters, and those are almost certainly only for the US market. Tumyeto using Chinese woodshops is nothing new and has been the standard in some non-US markets for a while. You can look back through the old woodshop threads from like 2017 and earlier and theres some discussion about it. The price points in the US have been chinese for a while and in some places in the EU almost everything seems to be chinese although I've also seen PS decks floating around in the UK shops. I'd imagine Asia/Oceania are the same.

Basically what I'm saying is that nothings really changed with how they're doing things other than some Watson production runs finding their way in and maybe some clutch runs to pick up the slack from PS (haven't confirmed that though). The chinese boards have always been there.

I guess it has been a long time since riding any, but I do recall they had Made in USA or something similar on them in packages a friend used to get and I haven't seen many in local Aussie shops for a while either, but since DLX and many other brands have been out of stock, a couple of local shops have bought some just to have wood on their wall, but they definitely feel different to what has been around.

Funny that this shows the last supper graphic (sorry if I already posted the video)

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #654 on: October 26, 2020, 01:02:56 AM »
Does anybody of you know of which manufacture Radioskateboards are coming from?

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #655 on: October 26, 2020, 02:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you were in Australia, I can recommend Elan decks, as I have a couple with a 15 wheelbase and decent length, but if USA or other, I know some boards from Dwindle, mainly Madness did have those dimensions too.

Some shops online have search by wheelbase so even if you are not going to buy from the shop, you can still look up info from them and then search closer to your own location.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/shop/decks.html?wheelbase=652

Pretty sure madness do a 33 long with 15 wheelbase, I have a fardell deck that is 32.6 long x 15 wb & 8.5" width

Man if F4's are made in china, might have to start over kilning them under desk lamps again aye brimmo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #656 on: October 26, 2020, 04:40:33 AM »

Pretty sure madness do a 33 long with 15 wheelbase, I have a fardell deck that is 32.6 long x 15 wb & 8.5" width

Man if F4's are made in china, might have to start over kilning them under desk lamps again aye brimmo

Haa! Yeah!!!

It is a brave new (covid) world out there!!!!

But who knows what is going on, apart from the latest drop of the genuine Formula Four and it is said they are still being made on the American continent (USA or Mexico) and do what they are supposed to do so I am happy.

The latest DLX wood drop came in too, minimal though it is, but it sure is nice to see stores back in stock for the minute anyway.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2020, 04:58:34 AM »
Does anybody of you know of which manufacture Radioskateboards are coming from?

If you like deep concave then it should work for you.

European so maybe Jart or the other imported blanks from China or even Dwindle maybe?

Radio skateboards, from Berlin Germany, instagram from 2012, current boards look like the same shape and concave as all, nothing on top to mark it besides a small round custom sticker over the back truck area that looks to have options for low or deep, but it is hard to make out.  The graphic of this one is pretty funny though, and info from ebay:

The new "Faker" skate deck from the Berlin house of Radio Skateboards consists of a 7-layer maple construction glued with epoxy resin and has a tough pop.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71WB%2BMkBHbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71vRmt7CdhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:07:49 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #658 on: October 27, 2020, 07:40:18 AM »

If you like deep concave then it should work for you.

European so maybe Jart or the other imported blanks from China or even Dwindle maybe?

Radio skateboards, from Berlin Germany, instagram from 2012, current boards look like the same shape and concave as all, nothing on top to mark it besides a small round custom sticker over the back truck area that looks to have options for low or deep, but it is hard to make out.  The graphic of this one is pretty funny though, and info from ebay:

The new "Faker" skate deck from the Berlin house of Radio Skateboards consists of a 7-layer maple construction glued with epoxy resin and has a tough pop.

Since it's epoxy glued I'm guessing china. I'm not sure if HLC does epoxy or not, but I know it's very uncommon outside of China. I've skated two HLC decks, the first being a Sour that could probably have passed for epoxy because of how stiff and sturdy it was, but the second was a Plan B that felt more like a traditional cold press franklin sk-8 glue deck.

I've found the best way to get an answer is usually to DM the company like a man and ask who's pressing their decks. If they ignore you or give you a non-answer then it's usually safe to assume china.

I'm going to take this opportunity to once again preach that just because a deck is made in china it doesn't mean its going to be bad. Dwindle/DSM makes some very good boards, especially if you like stiff decks (that's dEcks @SneakySecrets , so don't get too excited). The ones PGI uses are quite good too in my opinion, solid pop and they're short and very flat which makes them perfect for old dudes like me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #659 on: October 27, 2020, 09:17:39 PM »

Since it's epoxy glued I'm guessing china. I'm not sure if HLC does epoxy or not, but I know it's very uncommon outside of China. I've skated two HLC decks, the first being a Sour that could probably have passed for epoxy because of how stiff and sturdy it was, but the second was a Plan B that felt more like a traditional cold press franklin sk-8 glue deck.

I've found the best way to get an answer is usually to DM the company like a man and ask who's pressing their decks. If they ignore you or give you a non-answer then it's usually safe to assume china.

I'm going to take this opportunity to once again preach that just because a deck is made in china it doesn't mean its going to be bad. Dwindle/DSM makes some very good boards, especially if you like stiff decks (that's dEcks @SneakySecrets , so don't get too excited). The ones PGI uses are quite good too in my opinion, solid pop and they're short and very flat which makes them perfect for old dudes like me.

I was thinking I needed to get you (and your valued input) in on this, more than anything else, especially with something I don't know about, like that.

Also I still see an amazing amount of mis information, eg they say these are the best wood with the best glue or epoxy or whatever, but then they are often not, or one run might have been that and then the rest are now on something else.