Author Topic: Chet Thomas | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 154  (Read 4782 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

hadouken

• Rep: 54
Re: Chet Thomas | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 154
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 02:11:02 AM »
Chetty!

Met him years ago in Australia, he was rolling solo and I was with a bunch of high school groms and he was super nice to everyone and their stupid questions.

Then he spent the afternoon blasting headhigh frontside flip grabs out of the bowl, fatty to flatty style.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1968
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:08:33 AM »
That Bones Brigade handbook is hilarious.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:42 AM »
I was with him till a certain point (in his skate career, some time after Powell).  He kinda became the worst after that but he had a pass the whole time getting on the A team and whatnot.  His tricks had the difficulty but were allround terrible. Stale hardflip grab noseslide.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
The quick muscle inbalance talk was interesting. Anyone else experience problems with their hips because they weren’t doing enough tricks switch?

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:52:24 PM »
The quick muscle inbalance talk was interesting. Anyone else experience problems with their hips because they weren’t doing enough tricks switch?

Yes. My hips are out of whack and I'm convinced it is due to me skating the majority of my time fakie or regular. I barely do any switch tricks and despite skating for many, many years I haven't even really pushed switch either - switch mongo for life. Given that I'm also trying to change my body shape in other ways , this hip issue has become even more major or at least noticeable to me in the last couple of years.
As a fan of Chet's skating and as an (un)ironic hater/lover of his cringey monologues I was beyond hyped when I found out he was the guest. There was plenty of nerdery to enjoy from a 45 yr old pro and industry veteran and he was very easy to listen to.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
Good to see he still has that incredibly broad, locked-in grin. As a kid I was convinced for a long time that he was the best skater ever after I saw him sw fs 540 in a mini ramp and doing a hardflip nosegrind.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Good to see he still has that incredibly broad, locked-in grin. As a kid I was convinced for a long time that he was the best skater ever after I saw him sw fs 540 in a mini ramp and doing a hardflip nosegrind.

Don't you dare try and slip that past tense past me. From this I can only deduce that you either doubt that Chet Thomas is the best skater ever or you're still a kid. I hope for your sake it's the latter. May God have mercy on you either way.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't you dare try and slip that past tense past me. From this I can only deduce that you either doubt that Chet Thomas is the best skater ever or you're still a kid. I hope for your sake it's the latter. May God have mercy on you either way.

God have mercy on kids
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
Chet's a good dude, was nice to me when I was a kid and I still have his autograph on a Darkstar sticker somewhere. Had his first shoe as my first "real" skate shoe and they lasted forever since I was barely learning to skate still, got me stoked on Globe for about a year haha.

I push switch a lot in hopes it will make me do more switch, but I just flail 360 flips like a goon and stick to switch ollies and bs 180s. I'm sure the hip thing will happen to anyone that doesn't switch it up or is short in stature like Chet.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. My hips are out of whack and I'm convinced it is due to me skating the majority of my time fakie or regular. I barely do any switch tricks and despite skating for many, many years I haven't even really pushed switch either - switch mongo for life. Given that I'm also trying to change my body shape in other ways , this hip issue has become even more major or at least noticeable to me in the last couple of years.
As a fan of Chet's skating and as an (un)ironic hater/lover of his cringey monologues I was beyond hyped when I found out he was the guest. There was plenty of nerdery to enjoy from a 45 yr old pro and industry veteran and he was very easy to listen to.

When I do a real workout (so like never), bike, ski, rockclimb I notice how good it feels to do something strenuous where both sides are in balance. But I enjoy skating more so I’m probably lopsided too.

Do they ask him about knocking out Duane?

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »
Didn’t he go to school to be a physical therapist?  I vaguely remember an interview where that was discussed.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 631
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 10:39:49 PM »
Didn’t he go to school to be a physical therapist?  I vaguely remember an interview where that was discussed.
I thought it was to be a chiropractor? Hmm..🤷🏻‍♂️

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
Weirdest part was that his dad was a dentist but also involved in multi level marketing schemes.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
Weirdest part was that his dad was a dentist but also involved in multi level marketing schemes.

Yah I thought that was pretty weird and then it sounded like his Dad kept all the money he earned from commercial work too.

Here Come The Lame Jets

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yah I thought that was pretty weird and then it sounded like his Dad kept all the money he earned from commercial work too.

Scared money don't make money
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Scared money don't make money

Imagine all the unessesary dental work that guy must have convinced people to have done

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
These skate businessmen episodes are trash.

I get it, crob has said his favorite stuff to talk about is the money.

But if I wanted to hear a guy passionate about licensing deals, contract negotiations and how early you have to get up for your real estate “side business” i’d be listening to cnbc or some shit.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »
Kinda bummed they didn't really talk about Batalion or Opinion video. They barely even mentioned them.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 06:11:12 PM »
Because globe marketed like bosses, as a broke kid, I had those globe posters all over my room. I’d try to tell myself, “Chet is cool. He doesn’t frontside flip like an asshole”. Those were confusing times.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
The “wake up and grind” business talk was dumb. How did they not ask about Chet beating up Duane Peters???

doublesteveburger

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
I can’t believe they didn’t ask __________ about ____________________. I’m so disappointed.

There, I made a template for future reference.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
Darkstar being a pyramid scheme is no surprise.....

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 04:20:32 AM »
I can’t believe they didn’t ask __________ about ____________________. I’m so disappointed.

There, I made a template for future reference.

In this case I think it is entirely justifiable to be a little disappointed in the lack of chat about two big videos this guy was involved in.
Personally I liked hearing about his life now and how he manages his time; I was looking forward to hearing about his life after pro skating. But, if this chat is at the cost of a lack of skating talk of his career highlights then yeah I would say shut up about it. We need both ! They really did seem to struggle with this one, Crob really said "what else have we got to talk about" 2+ times here and they hadn't really touched on the other vid parts of his. Surely they know that that's what skaters are (for the most part) looking for from these EPs.
Anyway, I enjoyed it but I wish Crob would invite more in-depth / informed skate chat.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »
I liked his explanation for cost co boards. Makes sense in a weird way.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 06:47:50 AM »
I liked his explanation for cost co boards. Makes sense in a weird way.

http://www.bravosportscorp.com/our-brands/
responsible for pretty much everything you see at department stores

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
Pretty funny when Chet was like "my globe shoe def. sold more than the D3 - I don't know how much the D3 sold but my shoe def. sold more since it was global."

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 07:04:35 PM »
This Powell-Peralta Handbook highlight is pretty sick. This manual is over the top ("All Brigade members must faithfully serve their country, their mom, their dad, their company, their sport, and their ability"):

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
The “wake up and grind” business talk was dumb. How did they not ask about Chet beating up Duane Peters???
  Well he did already do an interview about that.  Prolly feels that airing it out publily once is enough, better than keeping at it again 20 years later for views.  Thats respectable imo .
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

GollyIamGully

• Rep: -8
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
Yuck. I dont want to listen to this dude justify selling shitty walmart boards. This show is getting worse all the time.