Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187767 times)

BurgerCop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1650 on: July 22, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »
When Reddit see's a skateboard there are two responses...

"THEY SHOULD BE WEARING A HELMET, THEY'RE GOING TO DIE! DEFINITELY!"
Or circlejerking about the soundtrack "hurr durr Goldfinger Superman!"

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1651 on: July 22, 2022, 01:58:01 PM »
Why did those tricks for the most part, die there? (Short of a single in a 7 minute Rowley part) That’s my point……

Conversely board shapes…Rodney refined the shape of a deck to the popsicle, world was the hottest brand at the time, everyone followed…..today…we all ride popsicles.  Directly…..influential.

Yeah, I haven't been disagreeing with you at all. I've been expanding on your point. Everyone has a Rodney phase, but after that no one cites him as an influence.

I sometimes browse reddit. When something skateboarding related is posted there is always the typical Tony Hawk comments (the most famous skater due to the videogame, whatever) and sometimes comments about Rodney Mullen, like some truly skating connaisseurs, praising him like a god. Those irk me a lot for some reason. I can help but think about the person that comments "Ok, you skated one year during middle school in 2002."

I admit that Rodney has done some crazy shit but I think his skating is too appealing for the people outside skating or just starting skating and that makes it uncool for people that have delved more into skating

I think you nailed it. Again, we all had a Rodney phase while getting into skating.

To add onto your point, I think Rodney's "mainstream" appeal also comes from being in the Tony Hawk games. The unlockable videos in the games were a lot of peoples' first exposure to "professional" skateboarding, and Rodneys really stood out from the rest as unique and impressive. While its hard for people to understand a lot of skateboarding, they can understand a handstand kickflip is something they could never do in a million years, so it really registers with the uninitiated while the other tricks are just a blur of confusion.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1652 on: July 22, 2022, 03:08:15 PM »
Skateboarding needs Brandon Biebel back in the worst way.

Brandon Biebel is Joni Mitchell’s “you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone” personified for skateboarding.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1653 on: July 22, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »

Brandon Biebel is Joni Mitchell’s “you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone” personified for skateboarding.

you know the vibes

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #1654 on: July 22, 2022, 05:58:06 PM »
Mike Vallely is Mike Vallely's biggest fan.
I think the only person that would find this an unpopular opinion is Vallely himself.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2251
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1655 on: July 22, 2022, 06:03:33 PM »

Shout out to Joni Mitchells!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #1656 on: July 22, 2022, 08:28:32 PM »
Some types of skateboarding absolutely need helmets.

When you are going at the speed most of us go while street skating, park skating, or mini ramp, you usually slip out or trip.
Usually we land on knees, ass, elbows or hands free vast majority of the time. We hit our noggin very rarely.

But at vert or downhill bomb speeds, it’s a completely different game. You can go from standing to bodied before you know it. That’s why most very skaters and downhill guys wear helmets.

Sure, there may be a few guys good who are good and/or cocky enough in both areas that down wear helmets, but it’s a rarity for a reason.

Older guys in both scenes can tell you about how much head trauma they’ve seen or experienced.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #1657 on: July 22, 2022, 11:19:25 PM »
Pivot grind was a better name than 5-0. Tail grind would also be better. 5050 should be axle grind or truck grinds

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #1658 on: July 23, 2022, 01:28:08 AM »

When you are going at the speed most of us go while street skating, park skating, or mini ramp, you usually slip out or trip.
Usually we land on knees, ass, elbows or hands free vast majority of the time. We hit our noggin very rarely.

But at vert or downhill bomb speeds, it’s a completely different game. You can go from standing to bodied before you know it. That’s why most very skaters and downhill guys wear helmets.

Sure, there may be a few guys good who are good and/or cocky enough in both areas that down wear helmets, but it’s a rarity for a reason.

Older guys in both scenes can tell you about how much head trauma they’ve seen or experienced.

I would never skate a vert ramp without knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet, that is if you’re actually trying to skate a vert ramp like a vert ramp. Set up airs off the coping and so forth, skating a vert ramp is the easiest way to completely tear up a brand new pair of shoes within an hour or two (along with your ankles too,from knee sliding out). Skating a pool or big concrete transition is a different story though.. probably because you end up using a different approach then you would when trying to skate a vert ramp like a vert ramp.
//////////

newguy

« Reply #1659 on: July 23, 2022, 04:34:21 AM »

I’m a fucking idiot so I don’t wear helmets when bombing hills, makes me feel alive. I think I’m legit addicted to the sensation that I could die any second and roll away safe, my crew thinks I’m fucked in the head which is partly true  :D

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1660 on: July 23, 2022, 05:47:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m a fucking idiot so I don’t wear helmets when bombing hills, makes me feel alive. I think I’m legit addicted to the sensation that I could die any second and roll away safe, my crew thinks I’m fucked in the head which is partly true  :D

If it makes you feel better, you could still die at any second... But hopefully it will protect your brain in the cases where you wouldn't die. We need that noggin intact comrade.

Coincidentally, I actually just got a helmet specifically to bomb a crazy hill near me soon.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1661 on: July 23, 2022, 09:31:11 AM »

Just going back to the cab talk for a min is this really what this is called, a cab 720? Not just a fakie 720? Plus he grabbed anyway

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1662 on: July 23, 2022, 10:09:38 AM »

Downhill absolutely insane. You’d probably be even more insane to attempt it without protection.

But I suppose it’s really a more straightforward version of SF hill bombing…which is also pretty fucking insane, and those guys don’t wear shit.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1663 on: July 23, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »

Agree with all this. I don’t wear a helmet to skate curbs for the same reason I wouldn’t wear one to jog- I’m not going to fall on my head. Haven’t ever fallen on my head skating curbs. And if I do it won’t kill me. But I don’t bomb hills cause I think even with a helmet a bad fall is death.

What I don’t understand is not wearing knee pads on big transitions. I wouldn’t want to run out every bail. Looks tiresome.

caked

• Rep: -24
« Reply #1664 on: July 23, 2022, 11:53:38 AM »
I think this is an unpopular opinion but not sure: wearing a helmet while skating street is pretty damn cool (my brain is my moneymaker so I wear mine 75% of the time I skate)

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #1665 on: July 23, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »

Just going back to the cab talk for a min is this really what this is called, a cab 720? Not just a fakie 720? Plus he grabbed anyway
Double cab babyy

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1666 on: July 23, 2022, 12:37:45 PM »
I think Rodney's "mainstream" appeal also comes from being in the Tony Hawk games.

This is certainly true but we shouldn’t discount that Rodney loves talking to the camera. He’s front and center in a few mainstream skateboard documentaries, and he has a hugely popular TED Talk. Normal people seem to see him as a skateboarding sage, and if you happen to know that he invented a lot of skateboarding tricks, you assume he is the guru whom all skaters follow, instead of the fabulously wealthy circus trick freestyler with the fucked up teeth.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1667 on: July 23, 2022, 12:55:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I think Rodney's "mainstream" appeal also comes from being in the Tony Hawk games.
[close]

This is certainly true but we shouldn’t discount that Rodney loves talking to the camera. He’s front and center in a few mainstream skateboard documentaries, and he has a hugely popular TED Talk. Normal people seem to see him as a skateboarding sage, and if you happen to know that he invented a lot of skateboarding tricks, you assume he is the guru whom all skaters follow, instead of the fabulously wealthy circus trick freestyler with the fucked up teeth.

I remember lots of my friends’ parents being pretty hyped on his Secondhand Smoke part when they’d pass by while we were watching it in their living rooms.

The song choice + Rodney’s freestyle/interpretive dance tricks probably had a lot to do with it.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1668 on: July 23, 2022, 01:12:15 PM »
I think this is an unpopular opinion but not sure: wearing a helmet while skating street is pretty damn cool (my brain is my moneymaker so I wear mine 75% of the time I skate)

i understand what you mean but this reads kinda arrogant- what do you do to make money?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1669 on: July 23, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »
Nollie cab is acceptable IMO. People always say "bUt a CaB iS aLwAyS fAkIe bY dEfInItIoN!!!!111!" but why does it always have to be fakie but doesn't have to be backside? Because the name evolved. Nollie cab sounds cool, plus Reynolds calls them that and he's got the best nollie and fakie ones in the business. I will bash idiots that think a cab is just a name for a 360 though
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1670 on: July 23, 2022, 01:58:23 PM »

Plus people with some skate knowledge in the comments trying desperately to let everyone know that they know their shit

"Video: Amazing skater grinds huge rail"

"Errrm excuse me? "Amazing skater"? That's Jamie Foy, professional rider for Deathwish skateboards, New Balance shoes, Spitfire wheels and Red Bull energy drinks. Put some respect on his name normie!"
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1671 on: July 23, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »
90 percent of bigspins done on flat as a filler trick look like complete shit

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
« Reply #1672 on: July 23, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Plus people with some skate knowledge in the comments trying desperately to let everyone know that they know their shit

"Video: Amazing skater grinds huge rail"

"Errrm excuse me? "Amazing skater"? That's Jamie Foy, professional rider for Deathwish skateboards, New Balance shoes, Spitfire wheels and Red Bull energy drinks. Put some respect on his name normie!"

When ever a Redditor post a bunch ugly, but difficult tricks

Redditor: skateboard is an art form
Redditor: well then you’re art is pretty ugly
Redditor: stop being a gatekeeping bully

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #1673 on: July 23, 2022, 10:02:41 PM »
Nollie cab is acceptable IMO. People always say "bUt a CaB iS aLwAyS fAkIe bY dEfInItIoN!!!!111!" but why does it always have to be fakie but doesn't have to be backside? Because the name evolved. Nollie cab sounds cool, plus Reynolds calls them that and he's got the best nollie and fakie ones in the business. I will bash idiots that think a cab is just a name for a 360 though

I hated your take until the last part.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1674 on: July 24, 2022, 01:53:16 AM »
i’ve got a sick ollie cab

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1675 on: July 24, 2022, 02:27:39 AM »
I've never heard somebody call a regular 360 a cab but was the Caballerial the first type of Ollie 360? If people are using cab in frontside halfcab heelflip which has absolutely nothing to do with the cab then somebody calling a 360 a cab isn't so farfetched. (I still wouldn't say it tho)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 04:58:06 AM by Mean salto »

dannyprovolone

« Reply #1676 on: July 24, 2022, 04:32:30 AM »
Nollie cab is a nollie front 3 I don’t see where the confusion is. People been calling it that for like 20 years.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 249
  • often correct
« Reply #1677 on: July 24, 2022, 05:42:33 AM »
squabbling over trick names is honestly one of the lowest forms of discourse

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1678 on: July 24, 2022, 06:10:02 AM »
These kids are post-supreme cherry done right and I think all the kids in this video deserve to get a contract with supreme/nike/vans

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1679 on: July 24, 2022, 10:45:00 AM »
squabbling over trick names is honestly one of the lowest forms of discourse

totally agree, and bony bird trying to re-rename smith grinds and mute grabs is fruitless at this point.