Author Topic: After hiatus, subject of skate shoes oddly intense  (Read 5676 times)

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Re: After hiatus, subject of skate shoes oddly intense
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote
You already said yourself that you read the first thread on them, not sure why you'd need to start another one just to check if anyone in there might have been lying. Nobody here is going to tell you it's a good idea to buy cariuma shoes. If you feel you're someone who's able to make decisions without being reaffirmed by a bunch of strangers on the internet then go nuts.
[close]

I wanted to know if there was a real reason not to like them or if people didn’t like them because they “weren’t cool” or are ugly.

Like I said we can buy around 8 pairs of shoes a year so it is indeed a huge part of skateboarding. I put my money where my mouth is.  I think it’s a legitimate thing to discuss. 

We can downplay the slavery of Nike manufacturing if we want to be cool and callous but I think I’m being reasonable in wanting alternatives.  Apparently Cariuma isn’t a great alternative but it’s worth discussing IMO.

Edited because TLDR lol

Not tryna fight y’all just wanted to know what you had to say

Is that crazy?

No, but it's a bit like when people read a bunch of negative reviews about a movie and then go on Reddit and ask why people didn't like it. Like, your source was your answer.

michael scarn

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2021, 02:14:33 PM »
Don't you have homies to vent to? Jesus this was long winded.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2021, 02:20:48 PM »
worst thread of all time

cky enthusiast

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2021, 02:28:00 PM »
Expand Quote
cool another sinophobe, welcome.
[close]
Oooookay. So this forum is a giant waste of time. Tried to have a serious discussion about gear. Just a bunch of fucking lames. Can’t believe I wasted my time. Just another Honda Tech. Go outside and fuckin skate “kids”

what an evenhanded and measured response !

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oooookay. So this forum is a giant waste of time. Tried to have a serious discussion about gear. Just a bunch of fucking lames. Can’t believe I wasted my time. Just another Honda Tech. Go outside and fuckin skate “kids”
sorry everyone, guy seemed like he was going to be pretty entertaining. didn't realize he was standing so close to the edge

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2021, 02:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2021, 02:57:41 PM »
Osiris is still cool. fuck the haters

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 286
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2021, 03:17:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yo dog, I gave you a non-corp/ethically made shoe last page and you said nothing. Even though you're throwing around insults, I'll let you know another serious/valid alternative to Nike et all. that I rock.

I'm the one with the beard.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2021, 03:27:17 PM »
I created an account just to get to the bottom of this. I started skating again after a long hiatus blah blah blah I won’t bore you guys with that tired story.

I wanna recap some things about shoes I’ve seen in other threads.

Anyway, like many skaters starting after a long break I am weary of the over saturation of Nike, Adidas etc that are now in skateboarding. I‘m not down to spend 90 bucks on a pair of skate shoes that were straight up created with slavery. I mean, I’m not without sin as a consumer but buying an overpriced shoe by a corporate company that bribed its way into the culture WHILE ALSO committing  slavery seems wild to me. That being said the shoes do look good. Which is a big part of their success.

So I’ve been researching new companies. It seems like the “core” companies have fallen off a bit. I bought a pair of Lakais recently and they are honestly feeling really nice. Not sure what’s up with the allegations of sub par quality with these brands. I think it comes down to the core shoes just not being cool anymore. Which is honestly fine. It happens.

I recently found out about Cariuma, which although not perfect seems like a step in the right direction. But I found the Slap thread on cariuma and y’all tore them a new *sshole.

The main complaints were that they are “buying” their way into the culture, but then the same people are talking about how they would rather buy a pair of Dunks with the same money. Did Nike not “buy” their way into the culture? It’s remarkable how they accomplished this by literally just chucking wads of money at it. So what’s new about this?

Another complaint was Berra’s involvement.  He’s a Scientologist. (Legit complaint) And just not cool. That’s the issue as I understand it. And while I also understand how problematic Scientology is, he’s “employed” by Cariuma. He’s not an owner, etc. it’s a problem, absolutely. But it’s not “massive slavery shoe farm” level problem. High level old head Pro skaters have been fairly deeply infiltrated by Scientology unfortunately. It needs to be addressed. But if we tossed every company that sponsored a Scientologist in the trash that would also get rid of Nike. Hmmm.

Lastly, another complaint, that the shoe is ugly.
True it is. But I’m willing to deal with ugly shoes if it’s just for skateboarding in. I don’t think they’re “that bad” honestly, but hopefully they get a shoe going without that massive logo.  I have to wear work boots during the day so I have become less picky with my sneakers. Also: It’s all subjective, recall that Vans where considered aesthetically unacceptable in the late 90’s early ‘00s. Tastes can change REAL quick.

The point of this thread: are Cariumas really THAT bad guys? No company is perfect and there’s always going to be compromise in our society as consumers. But shouldn’t we allow this step in the right direction? Is the hate really necessary when all of the complaints can be leveled equally at other companies that are “accepted”?

What other shoes are good and somewhat “ethical”? Last Resort?

Just put on a pair half cabs and shut the hell up

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »
There's a misconception that just because a company isn't huge like Nike or Adidas that they don't use slave labor, but don't get it twisted - lakai, es, emerica, all those brands use slave labor too - they simply would not be able to make a profit if they didn't, it's the beast of capitalism forcing people into more and more ethically fucked circumstances in order to compete and keep margins low. Not positive about Cariuma or Last Resort but I'm inclined to think they're none too great either. If you're really concerned with prices and ethics just hop on depop or mercari or ebay or whatever - plenty of barely "used" shoes at $40-50. Done this a bunch and it's been fine every time.

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
I dont like the Cariuma logo, aestheticallly on the shoe it doesn't look good to me where it touches the top and bottom stitching like that.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »
There's a misconception that just because a company isn't huge like Nike or Adidas that they don't use slave labor, but don't get it twisted - lakai, es, emerica, all those brands use slave labor too - they simply would not be able to make a profit if they didn't, it's the beast of capitalism forcing people into more and more ethically fucked circumstances in order to compete and keep margins low. Not positive about Cariuma or Last Resort but I'm inclined to think they're none too great either. If you're really concerned with prices and ethics just hop on depop or mercari or ebay or whatever - plenty of barely "used" shoes at $40-50. Done this a bunch and it's been fine every time.

This is my go to everytime. I got some Accel Slims and a pair of Rowans for $30 each end of last year. Both brand new.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 461
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

What?

He’s been hurt before
listen to cosmic psychos

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2021, 08:12:17 PM »
What the hell is the “rep” counter thing? Or am I opening another Pandora’s box asking about that

It doesn't really mean anything, don't worry if it goes in the negative.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2021, 10:30:36 PM »
There's no ethical choice in terms of manufacturing but skaters should buy skater-owned brands when possible. That's just my opinion. Lot of people here don't like that opinion because they want to justify to themselves buying the brands that are the most popular.

companguero

• Rep: 250
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:27 PM »

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Crislerheaven

• Rep: -6
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »
People in this thread could give you a million reasons as to why the shoes are hated on here but most simply put, they’re corny. Unbelievably corny.
As soon as Nelson hears that anything is “small and intimate” he gets paranoid he’s not invited and goes crazy to get there, so he put his mind to it and got there through someone else. It turned out to be thousands of people there so when he saw Paul he said, “Small, intimate world, isn’t it?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »
I don’t Cariuma, do you?

The sight of them creeps me out. They are body snatchers, not to be trusted.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2021, 12:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is my go to everytime. I got some Accel Slims and a pair of Rowans for $30 each end of last year. Both brand new.
Came here to say this. There’s pretty much always a pair of Puma Suede’s on depop for under $30 and in great condition. Those are my go to, but you can find just about anything on there.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 461
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2021, 01:04:46 AM »
Show us your motor
listen to cosmic psychos

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2021, 01:21:34 AM »
I don't think he's going to come back now guys, maybe we'll find him on Honda Tech or something instead.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2021, 01:40:17 AM »
just wanted to add my voice to the few people mentioning that the lakais aren't as shit as people make out. i had a pair last year and they were pretty decent.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2021, 02:37:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yo dog, I gave you a non-corp/ethically made shoe last page and you said nothing. Even though you're throwing around insults, I'll let you know another serious/valid alternative to Nike et all. that I rock.

I'm the one with the beard.

While we're at Simpsons stills, the thread title reminded me of this:

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

conqueso

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2021, 03:52:56 AM »

Lo-fi Explosion

• Rep: 7
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2021, 04:16:56 AM »

https://www.emerica.com/eu/helpcenter/ethical-policy-H11.html

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2021, 04:24:21 AM »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2021, 04:39:51 AM »
Before you reply, just know the OP shit the bed and ran home

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2021, 06:25:44 AM »
Just another Hyundai tech with a bone to pick.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2021, 07:55:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.emerica.com/eu/helpcenter/ethical-policy-H11.html

Thank you. Maybe the misconception is that all manufacturing labor in Asia is slavery. Also, Nike not only uses slave labor, but is actively lobbying to make sure they can keep using slaves. That makes them much worse in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/11/29/business/economy/nike-coca-cola-xinjiang-forced-labor-bill.amp.html

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2021, 01:16:22 PM »
hahahahahaha