Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144095 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #690 on: December 22, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
Something else that came up in the nine club w. Paul Schmitt was talking about how he worked w. PJ for months on something only have him skate some board from Canada....I'm assuming it's Control, so they're good enough for him......I think it's the flat kicks, they do that real well....

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #691 on: December 22, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of creature and nhs gimmicks. What’s up with the cold press stuff? I’m sure it’s bullshit but are the boards/wood better than normal nhs decks?
[close]

Cold press is standard among woodshops I believe, maybe the DSM or pricepoint boards are warm pressed in China. The board brands under NHS are Creature and Santa Cruz from the DSM woodshop in China. Haven't skated one in a few years but I think the safer bet would be to go with DLX or PS Stix boards.
[close]

Yeah, Paul Schmitt goes over it in his Nine Club. Cold press takes longer to cure but is superior in that it doesn't damage the structure (nanotubes) of the wood and utilizes a more durable glue, whereas heat pressing damages the integrity of the wood and utilizes a different glue process that is far more brittle. Heat pressed boards can feel great new but will be less durable.

When Dwindle talks about each board being individually pressed, they can probably do that and keep the price point because of heat pressing. Kind of funny that they're advertising cold press as some kind of special construction when it is standard for Gen, PS, SC, etc.
I think he also says that you have to use heat with epoxy, to kick off the hardening agent or something
All Dwindle decks are epoxy now? I remember they used to market something like "Stiff Glue" decks
NHS seems to be using both epoxy and cold press construction. I haven't paid attention to price differences and I've only skated Dwindle R7

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #692 on: December 22, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »
Something else that came up in the nine club w. Paul Schmitt was talking about how he worked w. PJ for months on something only have him skate some board from Canada....I'm assuming it's Control, so they're good enough for him......I think it's the flat kicks, they do that real well....

Pretty sure pj, at least at one point, was on the control boards.
An excellent example would be HiTek skateboards. Some folks don’t like the feel, and I can kinda see that, the boards skated really well for me, and when I eventually go back to skating small boards that’s what I’ll use. And yes, very flat kicks.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #693 on: December 23, 2019, 03:41:17 AM »
The thing with the control boards that I didn't like was the pop. The shape was fine and I was pretty happy with everything but it sogged out on me almost immediately and sounded like a wet log hitting the ground. I know not everything is going to sound like a gunshot like Pennswood does but I've tried other wood that has a softer sound and feel but still has great pop (south central) and I could just never get ctrl wood off the ground that well.

To each their own though, and it definitely didn't seem to slow down the scumco beasts. It's probably not much of an issue if you're a good skater and/or have strong young legs but if you're a pathetic old mess like me it is.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #694 on: December 26, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
I've two of the NHS Cold/Single Pressed 'wide tip' decks in rotation; an 8.375x32.15x14.44WB with ACEs and SPFs for transition and an 8.25"x32"x14.44" for street/park.

There is a different feel to them...they feel less modern in away, a bit more solid with sort of an 80s feel to them; hard to explain...not at thin feeling as an R7, of which I'm also a fan, and certainly crispier feeling than a DLX board.

Running them through for a heat transfer seems sort against the point of a cold press tho.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #695 on: December 26, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
I've two of the NHS Cold/Single Pressed 'wide tip' decks in rotation; an 8.375x32.15x14.44WB with ACEs and SPFs for transition and an 8.25"x32"x14.44" for street/park.

There is a different feel to them...they feel less modern in away, a bit more solid with sort of an 80s feel to them; hard to explain...not at thin feeling as an R7, of which I'm also a fan, and certainly crispier feeling than a DLX board.

Running them through for a heat transfer seems sort against the point of a cold press tho.

Not really, a heat transfer takes like 5 seconds while heat curing is basically cooking the board. Heat transfers heat the graphic up and then use tons of pressure to apply it to the board, there's a small amount of heat transferred to the wood but its pretty negligible. Like I said think of it as putting an iron-on patch on something vs baking it. Heat transfer is the industry standard (as is cold pressing for high end boards) and 99% of whats on the market now uses it.

It's quite rare to see straight up screen printing direct onto a board because it's a lot harder to consistently make quality prints since there's so many variables... I worked in a commercial screen printing shop for years mixing ink and you can do everything exactly the same every time every time and it'll turn out different every time. And we were screening flat on printstock, deck printing uses these wild ass bent screen frames and jigs that I can only imagine must be hell to set up and maintain.

So please don't think that a heat transfer is making your board worse. Most people who do screens do it because its the old school way and it's a hands-on process that creates more individual pieces but the actual performance benefits are negligible, if any.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #696 on: December 27, 2019, 01:40:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how is prime wood? have only owned BBS boards and dont hear much about them

Not really, a heat transfer takes like 5 seconds while heat curing is basically cooking the board. Heat transfers heat the graphic up and then use tons of pressure to apply it to the board, there's a small amount of heat transferred to the wood but its pretty negligible. Like I said think of it as putting an iron-on patch on something vs baking it. Heat transfer is the industry standard (as is cold pressing for high end boards) and 99% of whats on the market now uses it.

It's quite rare to see straight up screen printing direct onto a board because it's a lot harder to consistently make quality prints since there's so many variables... I worked in a commercial screen printing shop for years mixing ink and you can do everything exactly the same every time every time and it'll turn out different every time. And we were screening flat on printstock, deck printing uses these wild ass bent screen frames and jigs that I can only imagine must be hell to set up and maintain.

So please don't think that a heat transfer is making your board worse. Most people who do screens do it because its the old school way and it's a hands-on process that creates more individual pieces but the actual performance benefits are negligible, if any.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #697 on: December 27, 2019, 03:29:39 AM »

Interesting point, that about the 80s boards. I remember some boards having much more of a ‘sweet spot’ feedback, like the board was more alive or some shit. It could also just be that I was young and not yet as far on the way out as I am now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:20:58 AM by Ok »

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #698 on: December 29, 2019, 02:54:34 AM »

How are SPFs on Skatelite?  I feel like they’d be sketch as fuck.

Even F4 99as are often a bit too slick for me on it.

I really wish they made a 92-97a wheel with the F4 formula.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #699 on: December 29, 2019, 07:50:02 AM »
The formula is purposely hard and sticky, they were designed for slippery California skateparks. 

I still think they probably slip around more than you'd like them to but they work ok for me. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #700 on: December 29, 2019, 02:39:32 PM »
SPFs are hard and sticky for slick concrete - I'd go for some 99 F4/STFs instead.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #701 on: December 29, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »
Only a few more days till woodshop thread 2020

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #702 on: December 29, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »
Only a few more days till woodshop thread 2020
Should we talk about adding more wood shops to next year's list?
Woodchuck gets my vote. I think they did some great brands like Pure and Finesse!
https://woodchucklaminates.com tbh their website would make more sense to me if it said woodshop for sale..

How about Select? They got some hot brands over there..

Definitely should add Excel..
And why not use the full names for the woodshops?
DSM is Chop Chop + a city name. I can never remember the city but it might be the same as Excel

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #703 on: December 30, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
Does anyone know what wood shop cafe uses?

rudog

• Rep: -1
« Reply #704 on: April 26, 2020, 11:14:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know what wood is used for Powell/ Skate one (including mini logo boards)? Who makes them, what wood they use?
[close]

Not sure if you’re serious but I thought it was well known that they make them in-house. There are a few vids on YouTube with George Powell showing the factory.
[close]
They make them using maple wood, but only powell flight decks are made in the US now. The rest of the skate one decks are made in china, but they still use the same method for the other decks. example: mini logo

Powell flight and classic decks are made in the USA, popsicles in China

rudog

« Reply #705 on: April 26, 2020, 11:22:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't want to speak on everyone's behalf....but I will....in our defence we haven't cared about skating a Powell board for 15 years regardless of the manufacturer....
[close]
Yeah it aint worth it im talking about ALL of SkateOne's brands tho. But other than that you right nobody really buys those anymore just wanted to give a heads up.

Why do you think "nobody" buys powell boards? I do.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #706 on: April 26, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »
bro it’s 2020
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #707 on: April 27, 2020, 05:48:18 AM »

I watched an interview awhile back with the guy who owns skull skates, he alluded that PJ was using their woodshop. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #708 on: April 27, 2020, 05:55:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I watched an interview awhile back with the guy who owns skull skates, he alluded that PJ was using their woodshop.

I’ve heard PJ skates control.
As an aside: does PJ still skate for plan b? Nb? Still a big fan.

Hi-tek makes a great boards with control wood

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #709 on: April 27, 2020, 07:22:35 AM »
My local references the 8.75” as a “K” shape (or mold?) which they’ve said is a standard popsicle. Is that clutch? The wb was crazy long from what I remember measuring in store. They also have 8-8.5” decks but also square options for the same sizes. Any ideas?

rudog

« Reply #710 on: April 28, 2020, 12:57:52 AM »
bro it’s 2020

so what? inform me

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #711 on: April 28, 2020, 11:50:47 PM »
It's 2020, if you're not a skanky ho you're doing it wrong.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #712 on: April 29, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
My local references the 8.75” as a “K” shape (or mold?) which they’ve said is a standard popsicle. Is that clutch? The wb was crazy long from what I remember measuring in store. They also have 8-8.5” decks but also square options for the same sizes. Any ideas?

Could be clutch they do have a K shape. I’ve been riding the O shape in 8.5 and I love it. Check out clutches insta @clutchdistribution. Also have you asked your local? I’m sure they’d let you know.

ballintoohard

« Reply #713 on: May 05, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »
anyone have any current knowledge on who is doing Northern Co? Really liked Helen and wanted to support them

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #714 on: May 05, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »
anyone have any current knowledge on who is doing Northern Co? Really liked Helen and wanted to support them

South Central for sure.

ballintoohard

« Reply #715 on: May 05, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
Any info on the concave/shapes?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #716 on: May 05, 2020, 02:23:47 PM »
In my experience the kicks were steep with a medium concave but it’s been a few years since I’ve stepped on one

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #717 on: May 05, 2020, 03:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
In my experience the kicks were steep with a medium concave but it’s been a few years since I’ve stepped on one

Pretty sure they're all the standard south central concave, which is fairly steep or at least feels that way to me.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #718 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
i heard its bad juju to use to the 2020 thread
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo