Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 721046 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • What, me worry?
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4320 on: August 17, 2022, 07:19:22 AM »
Yesterday I switched from my 54mm Conical Fulls back to my worn Classics (originally 54mm to about 51-52mm now) and I really noticed how bulky the Conical Fulls felt. My pop and tricks felt better on the old Classics, but I definitely liked the wider contact patch of the Conical Fulls. I'm thinking about getting some Tablets in 52mm, since those have a bigger contact patch but are still quite light. I hear/read that they ride smooth without affecting tech/flip tricks much.
How are your experiences with those? And would you go for 99a or 101a?

The tablet shapes really freak me out and they look so weird on boards. Interested to hear some feedback on them. I imagine they’d be great for locking in on grinds, but maybe not as good for scooped flip tricks with such a hard edge

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4321 on: August 17, 2022, 08:23:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Yesterday I switched from my 54mm Conical Fulls back to my worn Classics (originally 54mm to about 51-52mm now) and I really noticed how bulky the Conical Fulls felt. My pop and tricks felt better on the old Classics, but I definitely liked the wider contact patch of the Conical Fulls. I'm thinking about getting some Tablets in 52mm, since those have a bigger contact patch but are still quite light. I hear/read that they ride smooth without affecting tech/flip tricks much.
[close]

The tablet shapes really freak me out and they look so weird on boards. Interested to hear some feedback on them. I imagine they’d be great for locking in on grinds, but maybe not as good for scooped flip tricks with such a hard edge
that's the experience i had
you get used to it but crooked grinds lock differently than a rounder shape (because of the hard edge)

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4322 on: August 17, 2022, 08:45:02 AM »
I hope this is the start of regular width radials becoming more readily available. I got some radial slims a couple years ago and thought they'd be the perfect wheel if only they were a little wider.

I hate loving a product then having a hard time finding it again.

Right now I'm on some 54 mm classics that will wear down to a nice radial shape after a few mm. Thanks to Ben D for that suggestion.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4323 on: August 17, 2022, 09:57:42 AM »

Hardness: Depends on the surfaces you are riding. 99a is a great all-round, but they *are* a bit slower on smoother surfaces.

I have ridden every shape of Spitfire wheels. Absent crust, I am utterly bewildered at the connie full trend. Those things are clunky as fuck. Ben DeGros did a great video explaining the differences between rounded edge wheels and squared off ones. I would encourage you to watch that. Tablets are among my least favorite Spitfire shape. They feel super "boxy" to me, and weird on any flip tricks. They lock-in good...if you are grinding in a perfectly parallel manner to the edge of a ledge. If you're doing something like a feeble, smith, cross-lock 50/50, etc. I feel like squared-off wheels get wonky, and something like classic or radial actually "lock" better. In event, wheels don't cost all that much. Give them a shot and see what works for you. 53mm Classics are my jam.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #4324 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:27 AM »
IMO Tabs look dope… I’m on the bones program but same idea in shapes, on the lock edge, something like a smith grind, I can really lean on that back toe and it doesn’t slip out. 

That said the bevel edge gives me a fighting chance if I’m gonna primo, maybe it’s a bit of weight….in general is more forgiving on the in and out of grinds but don’t hold you there as well…

It’s all arguably marginal which leads me to my initial point….

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4325 on: August 17, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »
I don’t get the conical full hype. But I did enjoy the time I had on conical regular. But classics slightly big then wear them down is the way for me.

Had some radials in the past but they was 101 didn’t mind them but 101 was too hard and 99a was hard to find til now. So I’m trying not to by the Leo baker  ones cause I don’t need them but damn I want them. Seem like a Goldilocks wheel size snd shape.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4326 on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »

But skaters are anal retentive about these things, either 52 / 54mm, making 53mm the red headed step child.

Red or orange haired??

Seeing as they are bright orange, I would say you are pretty much on the money there too!!!

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4327 on: August 17, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »
I don’t get the conical full hype. But I did enjoy the time I had on conical regular. But classics slightly big then wear them down is the way for me.

Had some radials in the past but they was 101 didn’t mind them but 101 was too hard and 99a was hard to find til now. So I’m trying not to by the Leo baker  ones cause I don’t need them but damn I want them. Seem like a Goldilocks wheel size snd shape.

I'm exactly the same. I've had classic and conical set ups, and I like both but Radial is really the best of both imo. I've got the 55 oski radials but that's just too big ffor most of my set ups, so I'm trying to stock up on the Leo Radials

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4328 on: August 17, 2022, 10:38:14 AM »
Conicals are coping/rail chompers imo.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4329 on: August 17, 2022, 12:12:40 PM »
All right, I went to our local shop this afternoon and decided to go with the regular Conicals in 52mm and 99a. They seemed like a good balance between wide riding surface, fairly low weight, and still a rounded edge that can help make flip tricks, scooping and reverting a little easier. I kept some of your guys comment in mind about the sharp edge, and seeing both wheels in the shop  clearly showed the sharp edge of the tablets.

I haven’t really ridden them yet, apart from the few hundred yards to the skatepark that was still way to wet from the rain :P On that surface (mostly rough tiles and stones), they felt smoother than my old classics :) I’ll give my first impression after I skated them a bit :)

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4330 on: August 17, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
All right, I went to our local shop this afternoon and decided to go with the regular Conicals in 52mm and 99a. They seemed like a good balance between wide riding surface, fairly low weight, and still a rounded edge that can help make flip tricks, scooping and reverting a little easier. I kept some of your guys comment in mind about the sharp edge, and seeing both wheels in the shop  clearly showed the sharp edge of the tablets.

I haven’t really ridden them yet, apart from the few hundred yards to the skatepark that was still way to wet from the rain :P On that surface (mostly rough tiles and stones), they felt smoother than my old classics :) I’ll give my first impression after I skated them a bit :)

Great wheels. I've been riding mine for a while.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4331 on: August 20, 2022, 10:23:43 PM »
Has anyone here tried the glow in the dark conical fulls? My shop only has the 56s in those and I’m considering them unless they’re notable worse and I should just wait for the next drop

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4332 on: August 20, 2022, 11:09:36 PM »
Has anyone here tried the glow in the dark conical fulls? My shop only has the 56s in those and I’m considering them unless they’re notable worse and I should just wait for the next drop
my friend that I work with at the shop has them and he loves them and says they don't feel any different at all and that he'll probably get another set when the time comes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4333 on: August 23, 2022, 04:02:57 AM »

The new catalog is out.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2022/

Some good ones in there people might be keen on.  You can check for yourself though.

Anyone want some Conical Full 99 duro 60 mm wheels?  I know some people who have been wanting these for a while now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #4334 on: August 23, 2022, 05:45:19 AM »
Oh my god they finally fucking made some colored classics.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4335 on: August 23, 2022, 07:08:05 AM »

They did 2 drops ago, Chorma series.

I'm surprised they still do black wheels. I guess they sell? I own some black conicals only due to availability. Like with this drop, if you want a 101 radial, black is the only option. Plus BONES just did a black drop...

Interesting to see Radial slims hit the shops yet not in the drops.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 10:54:50 AM by Xen »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4336 on: August 23, 2022, 07:10:36 AM »
the ave's are pretty classy and those blackout radials too, not a big black wheel fan but damn. good looking drop overall

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4337 on: August 23, 2022, 07:27:30 AM »
Glad to see the Leo radials in the drop. Also, love the AVE conicals, wish they did a 52 but I’ll still pick up the 54s

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #4338 on: August 23, 2022, 01:41:28 PM »
60 MM CONICAL FULL!!!

Spitfire is just gonna start selling a solid brick of urethane with a hole for bearings and im ready for it.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4339 on: August 23, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
60 MM CONICAL FULL!!!

Spitfire is just gonna start selling a solid brick of urethane with a hole for bearings and im ready for it.

Lol for real. The 56mm Radial Full was huge enough. I like bigger wheels and it was too much for me to handle. I can't even imagine olling up a small ledge with some wide 60mm behemoths like that.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4340 on: August 23, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »
60 MM CONICAL FULL!!!

Where/what does one skate with 60mm conical fulls?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 06:53:20 PM by Xen »

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4341 on: August 23, 2022, 05:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote
60 MM CONICAL FULL!!!

[close]

Lol for real. The 56mm Radial Full was huge enough. I like bigger wheels and it was too much for me to handle. I can't even imagine olling up a small ledge with some wide 60mm behemoths like that.

60mm conical fulls would add 4 pounds to the setup, probably a good calf workout to get the whole setup off the ground

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4342 on: August 23, 2022, 05:14:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm surprised they still do black wheels. I guess they sell? I own some black conicals only due to availability. Like with this drop, if you want a 101 radial, black is the only option. Plus BONES just did a black drop...

It seems to me that black wheels are kind of on trend for younger folks. I don't get it and also dunno why they gotta pick on poor old radials but I think this is why.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4343 on: August 23, 2022, 05:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
60 MM CONICAL FULL!!!

[close]

[close]

60mm conical fulls would add 4 pounds to the setup, probably a good calf workout to get the whole setup off the ground

I think 56mm CFs weigh almost 300 grams as a set, the 60mm might legitimately be close to a full pound of urethane with how much wider the CFs get at the bigger diameters.

The bigger issue is its just weird to pop with a 58+mm wheels. Feels so strange. Especially with how wide they will be, probably very strange locking into 50-50s even.

Just by riding a 8.5 with Ace/Indys and 56mm V6 people are shocked by how much heavier my board is than theirs when they try to skate it. Feels like you're kickflipping a canoe after skating other boards.

Shout outs to Jeff Carlyle for doing all that crazy shit on apparently 58-60mm wheels. I think T Funk rides 58-60mm OG Classics. Must be how all those guys go so fucking fast.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4344 on: August 23, 2022, 06:56:07 PM »
If I had to guess, maybe in T-funks case, and possibly others...when you're filming, getting clips, etc., you might need something different for that 'one spot' or to flesh out your part. Tech here, gnarhesh there.

No one is doing that China Banks ollie on 51mm wheels, that's for damn sure...knowwhati'msaying?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #4345 on: August 23, 2022, 10:07:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It seems to me that black wheels are kind of on trend for younger folks. I don't get it and also dunno why they gotta pick on poor old radials but I think this is why.

I can't do black wheels, but I guess if you weren't raised on "no black wheels ever", then it makes a lot of sense. White/off white and light coloured wheels get dirty pretty quick, especially if you skate dirty/crusty spots. Thats never an issue with black wheels

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4346 on: August 23, 2022, 11:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I can't do black wheels, but I guess if you weren't raised on "no black wheels ever", then it makes a lot of sense. White/off white and light coloured wheels get dirty pretty quick, especially if you skate dirty/crusty spots. Thats never an issue with black wheels

It's 2022, you can't talk like that.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4347 on: August 24, 2022, 07:40:31 AM »
If I had to guess, maybe in T-funks case, and possibly others...when you're filming, getting clips, etc., you might need something different for that 'one spot' or to flesh out your part. Tech here, gnarhesh there.

No one is doing that China Banks ollie on 51mm wheels, that's for damn sure...knowwhati'msaying?

I will say, having just recently skates at China banks, my 50mm-ish conicals handles the brick fairly well. I was definitely concerned I was going to have a much harder time skating but it’s actually decently smooth and the 99 F4 still grips pretty well.

Now T-Funk is an insane person and I still think it’s impossible he Ollied a long bench, that’s Hollywood magic. If he wants to ride 56-60mm wheels that’s because he’s super strong, super gnarly, and did I mention insane

TurboVirgin

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4348 on: August 24, 2022, 08:05:04 AM »
Are these bubbles anything to worry about?  I sent an email and they haven't been able to get back to me yet.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #4349 on: August 24, 2022, 08:19:13 AM »
They're not, just set 'em up!