Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701812 times)

Bumba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4260 on: August 02, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know what's going on with radials? Been looking for them for months but they're just not available in 54mm or below.

Might have to get some Classic Fulls but not sure if anyone knows anything and if it's worth waiting a bit longer?
[close]

I posted a few posts up...they are out there but not in potato color.

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-radial-trippy-swirl-skateboard-wheels-99d-53mm-1-7536761569536/

Thanks for the help. Shame they're not making it as a staple wheel in potato colour. I'll go for the classic fulls. Not much difference but I just really like the radials that I'm skating atm.

Lesson: don't get too attached to a certain product 😂

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4261 on: August 02, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
^that's true. that's one my personal rules with gear, if I can't get that part whenever I want, I don't really wanna run it on my regular setup. Shit getting broken and worn out is part of skating, so skating something I can't get again, whether it's a deck, shoes, wheels, trucks kinda stresses me out. That way you can enjoy destroying your product.

that's why I dont really fuck with shaped boards either, had fun on a dan's rig shape and didn't see another pop up for like 2 years. Now I dont want another one, even though dan's the man.

I always buy f4 classics or conical fulls b/c they always run them every season in a ton of sizes and all the duros they offer, and I think they both look cool. don't really have a preference on wheel shape either. I just run what I feel like looking at.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #4262 on: August 02, 2022, 01:13:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know what's going on with radials? Been looking for them for months but they're just not available in 54mm or below.

Might have to get some Classic Fulls but not sure if anyone knows anything and if it's worth waiting a bit longer?
[close]
I don't have any info on radials, but classic fulls are becoming about as scarce since they weren't in the last drop.  So if you know where some are you better grab them.
[close]

Aghhh okay think I'll grab them then. They're from a shop I like too. It's the repeaters graphic from last year I think
Yeah that's what I'm running in 52mm right now and love them.  Trying to scare up a set of 54s for backup but striking out so far.

Get hungry on it!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4263 on: August 02, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »
^that's true. that's one my personal rules with gear, if I can't get that part whenever I want, I don't really wanna run it on my regular setup. Shit getting broken and worn out is part of skating, so skating something I can't get again, whether it's a deck, shoes, wheels, trucks kinda stresses me out. That way you can enjoy destroying your product.

that's why I dont really fuck with shaped boards either, had fun on a dan's rig shape and didn't see another pop up for like 2 years. Now I dont want another one, even though dan's the man.

I always buy f4 classics or conical fulls b/c they always run them every season in a ton of sizes and all the duros they offer, and I think they both look cool. don't really have a preference on wheel shape either. I just run what I feel like looking at.

I feel you. I don't run shaped boards anymore for that reason and ditched riding Spit radial slims for regular conicals because they are readily available. I'm also weening myself off twins since they are (sans DLX) are disappearing.

Shoes are different tho, if I REALLY like a pair I will buy another to put on ice. If, when I get to the second pair and I've found a better shoe, I'll sell the other pair off (usually at a profit).

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #4264 on: August 06, 2022, 07:39:03 AM »
I've been skating the 58mm radial fulls for a week or so and these have gotta be the slipperiest wheels I've ever had. I love the shape and width and the slide is definitely awesome, but they're almost too slippery and they're 99a. Anyone else experience this?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4265 on: August 06, 2022, 11:03:23 AM »
I've been skating the 58mm radial fulls for a week or so and these have gotta be the slipperiest wheels I've ever had. I love the shape and width and the slide is definitely awesome, but they're almost too slippery and they're 99a. Anyone else experience this?

Are they natural or dyed color?

Edit: reread... My Radial Fulls were not overly slippery, but did have some defect. Not sure what that it about.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:14:05 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4266 on: August 06, 2022, 11:04:35 AM »

I’ve got the same wheels and they’ve been ok for me. They’re on a cruiser and I roll them in a dusty ass warehouse that’s hella slick.

logjammin

« Reply #4267 on: August 07, 2022, 07:11:55 AM »
Phew, I can't imagine trying these out indoors it would be an ice rink. I still love em though. Everyone has been commenting on how massive they look, too and they're like what shape are those?! I lined em up alongside 60mm 95a OJ Combos and they're basically the same width it's nuts ;D

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4268 on: August 07, 2022, 07:22:42 AM »
Phew, I can't imagine trying these out indoors it would be an ice rink. I still love em though. Everyone has been commenting on how massive they look, too and they're like what shape are those?! I lined em up alongside 60mm 95a OJ Combos and they're basically the same width it's nuts ;D

It’s crazy how big they are, they’re little monster truck wheels. I had NFG MFG 58 Vees before which looked big and these blow them away

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4269 on: August 10, 2022, 04:04:39 AM »
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between Conical, Radial (both offer half and Full versions it seems), Classic etc? i understand its the way the wheels are cut out, but why?

Also, do you guys notice much difference between a 99a and a 101a in f4s?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4270 on: August 10, 2022, 05:07:14 AM »
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between Conical, Radial (both offer half and Full versions it seems), Classic etc? i understand its the way the wheels are cut out, but why?

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/
This is missing radial full but its essentially a radial with wider and bigger contact patch. As for why the different cuts, I can only say, the sidewall cut determines lockability and transition dismount (the ease of reentry that the sidewall allows against the coping). A straighter cut locks in better while a rounder edge lets you come off the grind easier and is easier to get off the ground for scoop tricks since theres less resistance. All this is based off my experience by the way.  The width and contact patch determines stability, slidability (smaller contact patch and width generally slides easier), and weight. The only way to truly know if any of this matters to you is to try them.

99 and 101 definitely has a tangible difference for me. 99 is generally agreed to be a good all around durometer while the 101  felt icy and harsh on rough ground for me but eventually felt normal after breaking them in. 101s felt slightly faster but not enough for me to go with those over 99s in the future.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4271 on: August 10, 2022, 06:01:52 AM »
Thank you Camel Filters!

I am just talking to my homey on the discord about it too and he rides the Conical Full @ 56mm and they seem to be some of the widest wheels that they have, which seems in tune with what I like. I dont like the look of those skinny wheels at all and i also just like the way those fatter wheels feel. I think I just need to figure out what size I want (58mm is too big i get bit too much wheelbite but it i also dont mind it too much, probably 56mm is fine but might go bit smaller) but Conical Full 99a seems to be pretty ideal for me!

the main drawback of my soft 95a OJ wheels is metal edges of skatepark do not slide well AT ALL. Seems like even 99a F4 will handle this no problem.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4272 on: August 10, 2022, 08:08:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/
This is missing radial full but its essentially a radial with wider and bigger contact patch. As for why the different cuts, I can only say, the sidewall cut determines lockability and transition dismount (the ease of reentry that the sidewall allows against the coping). A straighter cut locks in better while a rounder edge lets you come off the grind easier and is easier to get off the ground for scoop tricks since theres less resistance. All this is based off my experience by the way.  The width and contact patch determines stability, slidability (smaller contact patch and width generally slides easier), and weight. The only way to truly know if any of this matters to you is to try them.

99 and 101 definitely has a tangible difference for me. 99 is generally agreed to be a good all around durometer while the 101  felt icy and harsh on rough ground for me but eventually felt normal after breaking them in. 101s felt slightly faster but not enough for me to go with those over 99s in the future.

Yes, I agree with all of that too.

The most common size and shape seems to be the Conical Full 54mm wheel in 99 duro, or at least for people I know and skate with, especially for ledge and rail skating, where they are still wide enough without being too wide, like the bigger sizes.  If you are more into the bigger and wider wheels, the 56mm Conical Full wheel is most likely going to be just what you want.

There are 55 and 57mm Oski Radials out right now, as well as talk of more 56mm Radials too, but I don't know when they are coming out.  They are pretty much the middle ground between Classic and other more squared off shapes like Conical Full wheels.  I have had a few sets of those in 54 and 56 mm sizes, along with the Classic Full and they keep me happy with the wider overall feel, but not the squared off / lock in feeling of the Conical Full wheels.

At least there should be a good number of Conical Full wheels around, way more than Radial or Classic Full, but another one that does come out in bigger sizes and is widely available is the OG Classic, which is a little more squared off, not quite as wide, but definitely does everything a "lock in" type wheel does.

Maybe too many shapes as has been said before, but this link to the posts with all the info should help as well:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3724959#msg3724959

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4273 on: August 10, 2022, 10:40:45 PM »
Thank you Camel Filters!

I am just talking to my homey on the discord about it too and he rides the Conical Full @ 56mm and they seem to be some of the widest wheels that they have, which seems in tune with what I like. I dont like the look of those skinny wheels at all and i also just like the way those fatter wheels feel. I think I just need to figure out what size I want (58mm is too big i get bit too much wheelbite but it i also dont mind it too much, probably 56mm is fine but might go bit smaller) but Conical Full 99a seems to be pretty ideal for me!

the main drawback of my soft 95a OJ wheels is metal edges of skatepark do not slide well AT ALL. Seems like even 99a F4 will handle this no problem.

You might look at the 56mm Radial Full, too. If you’re on a wider setup, those wheels are pretty rad for rolling around concrete transition.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4274 on: August 13, 2022, 02:56:41 AM »
A worn down 54mm conical and 52mm og classic should have very little difference, correct? Going by the measurements.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4275 on: August 13, 2022, 06:57:02 AM »
Googling “Spitfire wheel shapes” will answer a lot of the questions in this thread. Pics of the shape with height/width/contact patch info.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #4276 on: August 13, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »
Googling “Spitfire wheel shapes” will answer a lot of the questions in this thread. Pics of the shape with height/width/contact patch info.

ah, but why google when you are on slap!

For anyone who is in need of a Spitfire Wheel Chart that comes in the packaging of the wheels.

I do have a pic of the card with Spitfire Classic Full wheels too, but the sizes are not correct past 53mm, so I added to this one, which I feel is still not quite correct, but closer than what it was before.

Sorry if I didn't credit your pic, but these were spread throughout this and other threads and I only thought about it afterwards.

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Here's the one from the Oskis if it helps...
[close]

Charts to compare size (incorrect sizes on the Classic full wheels on the chart, but correct below in text):

I had a dig through some boxes and found not only the old Classic Full cards, but also a set of the Spitfire Cardiel Charro wheels, which are actually 54.5 mm and they measure 35 wide with 19 contact (maybe even 19.5 mm contact).

So the sizes are really as follows:

Classic Full chart correct to 54mm and measurements just taken again on wheels I have:

52       33       18
53       33.5    18.5
54       34       19
54.5    35       19.5
56       37       22.5
58       38       24

Expand Quote
[close]

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4277 on: August 13, 2022, 07:45:40 AM »
Lest we forget the Reynolds classic ’slim’ RIP

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4278 on: August 13, 2022, 07:53:05 AM »
Seeing the Classics Full measurements again makes me wonder how relevant the 52 mm ones really are. Same width as 53 mm Classics, which will have a similar contact patch once worn down to 52 mm. I liked my Classics Full (passed them on) but am wondering if I should just go with 53 mm Classics when I am buying my next set of smaller wheels as they are much more widely available.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4279 on: August 13, 2022, 07:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ah, but why google when you are on slap!

For sure.

That is why I tried to get all the information on the same post which could be seen again and again.

Still bugs me I got the Classic Full dimensions wrong in the bigger sizes, when I altered that pic, but I listed them in text below so it is not that big a deal really.

* Thanks again to those contributors as well.

@typeischeap
@Schinken

Seeing the Classics Full measurements again makes me wonder how relevant the 52 mm ones really are. Same width as 53 mm Classics, which will have a similar contact patch once worn down to 52 mm. I liked my Classics Full (passed them on) but am wondering if I should just go with 53 mm Classics when I am buying my next set of smaller wheels as they are much more widely available.

If you can deal with the size and shape to start with, they will definitely be easier to find and last a little longer, being that 1 mm bigger overall.

I have been skating some slightly used Classic 54mm wheels just to see how they add up compared to the Classic Full and I must say that they don't disappoint, that is for sure.  The ride is so similar, as are the current dimensions.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 07:31:41 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #4280 on: August 13, 2022, 09:07:13 PM »
Not worth much but I love 53/99 classic shape. Great all around wheel and lock in is good as well as reverts out of grinds.

SwitchBigspinflipBoneless

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4281 on: August 14, 2022, 09:58:08 AM »
Yo I've got to get some new wheels,  been riding 56mm 99a conical fulls.

Really like them,  but downside is how bulky they feel trying flip tricks &  how much weight they add to my set up compared to mates' set ups.

I mainly skate bowls and ramps,  but want to get into more flip tricks and street stuff.

Anyone got any recs that'd make it a bit lighter,  but without slipping out in a bowl /having to pump way harder?

Cheers!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4282 on: August 14, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »

Really like them,  but downside is how bulky they feel trying flip tricks &  how much weight they add to my set up compared to mates' set ups.

I mainly skate bowls and ramps,  but want to get into more flip tricks and street stuff.

Anyone got any recs that'd make it a bit lighter,  but without slipping out in a bowl /having to pump way harder?

Cheers!

54mm Conical

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #4283 on: August 14, 2022, 06:41:52 PM »

Cheers!

aces or a deck with a tighter wheelbase

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4284 on: August 15, 2022, 01:49:01 AM »
Expand Quote

Cheers!
[close]

54mm Conical

This, or OG Classics (assuming you want to stick to a conical shape). And maybe consider Titaniums if you Re riding Indys, they help a lot with making bigger setups feel lighter.

SwitchBigspinflipBoneless

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4285 on: August 15, 2022, 02:18:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cheers!
[close]

54mm Conical
[close]

This, or OG Classics (assuming you want to stick to a conical shape). And maybe consider Titaniums if you Re riding Indys, they help a lot with making bigger setups feel lighter.

Sweet cheers for the advice, can confirm that buying conicals are a nightmare (at least in UK).  Only found one shop that does 54s the rest are all conical fulls.

I skate Venture Lights 5.6 Hi,  been on ventures since a kid.  Maybe time for a change.

... is this how gear madness starts??

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4286 on: August 15, 2022, 02:27:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cheers!
[close]

54mm Conical
[close]

[close]

Sweet cheers for the advice, can confirm that buying conicals are a nightmare (at least in UK).  Only found one shop that does 54s the rest are all conical fulls.

I skate Venture Lights 5.6 Hi,  been on ventures since a kid.  Maybe time for a change.

I don't think the Indy Titaniums are much lighter than your Ventures. Also they ride differently, wouldn't mess with that. Get some 54 mm F4 OG Classics if Conicals are hard to come by!

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #4287 on: August 15, 2022, 03:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cheers!
[close]

54mm Conical
[close]

[close]

Don't change your trucks. You've been on them since a kid so you've obviously done your best skating on venture. All changing will do is make you have to re learn everything.

logjammin

« Reply #4288 on: August 15, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »
After drifting away from super hard wheels and going softer 95a-99a for many years now, I decided to revisit some 101a classic shapes and man these are just truly the most premium wheels on the market. The glide and chirp is just un-fucking-matched. I can do a front smith slappy and just glide my front wheels on the ground sloppily the whole way without stopping.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #4289 on: August 15, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I’ve heard rumors there may be some 53-54 radials coming, but no potato colors; all black or swirl or whatever
Just saw this posted to instagram, looks like there will be potato after all.

Get hungry on it!