Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689712 times)

schralp pal (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4230 on: July 04, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote
yeah that seems to be the case. at least for the set i’m on rn
[close]

Yeah ok they are asymmetrical, but also 2 out of 4 wheels had the unprinted side not properly cut out, so the bearings didnt fit all the way in. Had to carve them out with a knife...

Is spitfire becoming the ace (classics) of wheels? My last 2 sets had defects

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4231 on: July 04, 2022, 02:02:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah that seems to be the case. at least for the set i’m on rn
[close]

Yeah ok they are asymmetrical, but also 2 out of 4 wheels had the unprinted side not properly cut out, so the bearings didnt fit all the way in. Had to carve them out with a knife...
[close]

Is spitfire becoming the ace (classics) of wheels? My last 2 sets had defects

My Radial Full from the first batch also had a defect that caused the wheels to wobble. Seems like they were definitely having some QA issues in the past year or less.

They replaced it for me within a month though, so just send a warranty ticket in.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4232 on: July 16, 2022, 03:09:37 AM »
I just wanted to see why does no one mess with the 101 f4s? I once got a pair of the radial slims and they ruled, fast af and slid pretty close to the 99s, it seems that these days they are almost out of circulation apart from some conical fulls. Also another thing that spitfire does is that they don't produce all of their shapes equally, for me the best all round shape was the radial slims and they are never in circulation it seems they only produce the ridiculously fat shapes these days like conical fulls and radial fulls, plus the classics that are super skinny, whatever happened to the classics full shape? that was pretty good... at the end of the day these full shapes cost more urethane lol. I don't know maybe its a marketing move or something...

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4233 on: July 16, 2022, 01:24:28 PM »
I just wanted to see why does no one mess with the 101 f4s? I once got a pair of the radial slims and they ruled, fast af and slid pretty close to the 99s, it seems that these days they are almost out of circulation apart from some conical fulls. Also another thing that spitfire does is that they don't produce all of their shapes equally, for me the best all round shape was the radial slims and they are never in circulation it seems they only produce the ridiculously fat shapes these days like conical fulls and radial fulls, plus the classics that are super skinny, whatever happened to the classics full shape? that was pretty good... at the end of the day these full shapes cost more urethane lol. I don't know maybe its a marketing move or something...

Softer wheels roll better over shitty streets and such. If you live outside of California and want to street skate, 101+ wheels are pretty hard to make work. I don't know if you've looked around in America but we have a crumbling infrastructure. In places with winters, the ground gets destroyed very quickly and then needs to be repaired. And those repairs ain't happening.

Its why I switched to F4 97a, and now I skate the new Powell Dragon 93a which feel like ~98a (I hope Spitfire responds with a wheel like that of their own).

On top of that, I think most people who like skating really hard wheels are still holdovers skating STF 103a (which were considered the best wheel before F4 came out). I've never tried F4 101a, so I can't compare the two, but I'm sure if your streets are good enough for 101a, you might as well skate 103a and double down on the benefits a hard wheel gives you.

Bones seems to do a better job at stocking all of their shapes. Their V4 shape is similar to Spitfire Radials. Maybe see if any of their narrower ones are up your alley. Keep in mind their wheels tend to have a way more narrow riding surface compared to Spitfire counterparts, so they might feel more narrow than their overall width suggests: https://bones.com/why/shapes/

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4234 on: July 16, 2022, 06:39:10 PM »
I have to disagree with some of the above. First, CA is a big state and much of it has pretty haggard streets, even in the skateboarding land of milk and honey. It cracks me up that many of us think we are skating 'crust' bc we don't live in CA.

Second, 101 F4s actually do pretty OK on haggard terrain. I used to use them a fair bit in the summers in Portland,. Mainly to teach myself backside power slides on hills (it worked). B/c they have such a high 'rebound' they can handle a little ruggedness. Obviously they don't suck up crust as well as 99s or 97s but they felt better to me than STFs and certainly SPFs.

The main reason I don't use them is I prefer the slip-to-grip ratio of 99s. I like the way the 99s bite when I want them to. The 101s were a little sketch in super smooth parks for the way I skate and the slide wasn't as controlled. They slide too well and I like a little resistance. Now I can do backside power slides, they feel even better on 99s but it took trying them at slower speeds on 101s to dial them in.

If you want to slide at slower speeds or if you're into technical ledge or even curb skating, give them a go. If you're struggling with a certain slide trick or bummed the way your Thunders lock into nose and tail slides, these could be other reasons to try 101s. I've only tried the 101s in 54mm size and classic and radial slim shapes. I'd be curious to try them in a bigger, wider shape.

Ultimately, F4 99s just fucking rule as an all round/ all terrain wheel.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4235 on: July 16, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
I have to disagree with some of the above. First, CA is a big state and much of it has pretty haggard streets, even in the skateboarding land of milk and honey. It cracks me up that many of us think we are skating 'crust' bc we don't live in CA.

Second, 101 F4s actually do pretty OK on haggard terrain. I used to use them a fair bit in the summers in Portland,. Mainly to teach myself backside power slides on hills (it worked). B/c they have such a high 'rebound' they can handle a little ruggedness. Obviously they don't suck up crust as well as 99s or 97s but they felt better to me than STFs and certainly SPFs.

The main reason I don't use them is I prefer the slip-to-grip ratio of 99s. I like the way the 99s bite when I want them to. The 101s were a little sketch in super smooth parks for the way I skate and the slide wasn't as controlled. They slide too well and I like a little resistance. Now I can do backside power slides, they feel even better on 99s but it took trying them at slower speeds on 101s to dial them in.

If you want to slide at slower speeds or if you're into technical ledge or even curb skating, give them a go. If you're struggling with a certain slide trick or bummed the way your Thunders lock into nose and tail slides, these could be other reasons to try 101s. I've only tried the 101s in 54mm size and classic and radial slim shapes. I'd be curious to try them in a bigger, wider shape.

Ultimately, F4 99s just fucking rule as an all round/ all terrain wheel.

To be clear, in places with actual long snowstorm winters, the concrete is designed to expand and contract with ice. When the ground has to work for both 100+ degrees and 40 below, it has to be made very different in ways that are not conducive to skateboarding. That weather then wreaks havoc on the roads and they have to be replaced pretty frequently. My point is that there is more consistent and rampant bad terrain here. You can't really skate to/from spots around here with 99a even. It can involve a lot of having to pick up your board for blocks at a time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4236 on: July 16, 2022, 08:20:49 PM »

Said it before but the 99 has always been a good constant and solid feeling wheel to ride, of which I have never had any issues in how they perform for me.

The 101 by comparison has often been hit and miss, sometimes very hard and slippery, sometimes no where near the 99 in how they slide and other factors, which is a funny one, but also been said by a number of people on here and in other conversations I have had.

This is not going into flatspots, warranty problems or product issues, of which I have seen with any and EVERY brand wheel I have ever skated, coming from a shop perspective.

As far as certain shapes and things, they do have almost too many options, so it does make it hard to keep up with almost ten semi regular shapes, most with half a dozen sizes or more, the classic 99 formula, Formula Four 99 and 101 (and 97 now too) plus the 80HD wheels, then natural vs coloured or mixed swirl colouring, all with limiting factors coming into play as well, with manufacturing issues, shortages of materials and whatever else is going on from 2020, through 2021 and now seemingly also into 2022.

I guess too it comes down to what is the most popular wheel to make, which is often not the favourite wheel of any one person, being Classic or Conical Full for a while now, but right now increasingly bigger wider wheels, more so than slim variations.

The Tablet shape seems like it has all but replaced the Radial Slim in that market share, which I know makes some people unhappy, but the Conical (not Conical Full) is also fairly close too, which I recommend anyone try who wanted Radial Slims.

The normal Radial is coming out with more options again too for those who liked that shape.

As said, the Classic and Conical Full wheels are pretty much the main stock that moves, with others like OG Classics also selling fairly well overall too and all three take a majority share of the Spitfire market sales, from what I have seen.  That is not to say that if all I had were one certain shape, they wouldn't be the main seller either, but when people want a specific shape before even setting foot in a store, there is often no need to change their minds to try anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4237 on: July 17, 2022, 06:12:40 AM »
I have some 52 mm conical full is in 101 that are awesome. Big fan. The roads were I live are old, rain beaten. The 101s felt bad day one, and broke in and got a lot better.

europa1991

• Rep: 51
« Reply #4238 on: July 23, 2022, 03:04:25 PM »
Anyone have any positive things to say about Tablet 55s?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4239 on: July 23, 2022, 06:53:33 PM »

I wanted but couldn't find them, then I compared the specs with the 55mm OG classics and (only for 55mm) it's pretty much the same wheel so I got those. Rode them for a very long time and loved everything about them. Amazing lock in

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4240 on: July 23, 2022, 07:41:03 PM »

I've some 54 tabs, they're ok (great if all you skate are ledges and maybe rails). I feel the taller I go the wider I should go as well. At that size I'd prefer the regular conical due to the rounded lip.

I didn't like tablets at all for slappies (but they work) and flatland with big square wheels felt off.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4241 on: July 23, 2022, 08:04:51 PM »

I'm on 55 tablets  right now although they are closer to 53 at this point. . They've been on four set ups and seem to be lasting really well. I actually like them more now they have worn smaller.

IMO, good on curbs and coping but my flip tricks suffered until they wore down a bit. Like Xen said, bigger square wheels can effect flips... at least when you are old and slow like me...

55 OG classics are very very close in width and contact width. I'd consider those also as they have a slight sidecut.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4242 on: July 23, 2022, 08:53:07 PM »
Tablets worked pretty decent for me…I just don’t like how they look. Classics look good.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4243 on: July 24, 2022, 03:03:58 AM »
I recently impulse-bought a set of 56 mm Radial Fulls and they may have sparked a new love for large wheels. I have been using 52 mm Classics and Classics Full on my popsicle before.

Just pushing around and rolling feels so much better, and somehow that translates into how I do my tricks. More flow and more commitment!

They are bulky of course. Flip tricks are draining, which sucks since I have been on a mission to (re)learn them. I equally like the Radial Fulls on street and transition, which I cannot say has been true for any other F4 shape.

About the video, I have never been able to do that manual around my local bowl on 52 mm wheels, and I can do it consistently on the Radial Fulls. Now I kind of want to go fast enough so I can properly roll in.

https://youtu.be/m83s4Q6Ft6Y

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4244 on: July 24, 2022, 03:14:42 AM »
Not gonna lie, those things look ridiculous.
Classic fulls on the other hand…. Might ween me off the radial hill I’m dying on

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4245 on: July 24, 2022, 07:09:31 AM »
I recently impulse-bought a set of 56 mm Radial Fulls and they may have sparked a new love for large wheels. I have been using 52 mm Classics and Classics Full on my popsicle before.

Just pushing around and rolling feels so much better, and somehow that translates into how I do my tricks. More flow and more commitment!

They are bulky of course. Flip tricks are draining, which sucks since I have been on a mission to (re)learn them. I equally like the Radial Fulls on street and transition, which I cannot say has been true for any other F4 shape.

About the video, I have never been able to do that manual around my local bowl on 52 mm wheels, and I can do it consistently on the Radial Fulls. Now I kind of want to go fast enough so I can properly roll in.

https://youtu.be/m83s4Q6Ft6Y

I bought these same radial fulls in 58mm from a pal, and they’re actually hilarious how big and stupid they are. I set them up on my cruiser and they’re like little monster truck wheels. They do roll very smooth, but I can’t imagine trying to flip em

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4246 on: July 24, 2022, 07:17:29 AM »
Haha, I agree that they look ridiculous especially in comparison to the 52 mm Classic Full. Though fully set up on the 9.25 popsicle with 169s it’s not too bad actually. Flipping this board is challenging no matter what but they definitely add some heft. Maybe the 55 mm Radials that recently came out are the best compromise. For an all around board I cannot see myself go back under 54 mm right now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4247 on: July 24, 2022, 10:51:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

55 OG classics are very very close in width and contact width. I'd consider those also as they have a slight sidecut.

I was going to edit that into my post, now, I don't have to!

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4248 on: July 24, 2022, 10:56:50 AM »
Haha, I agree that they look ridiculous especially in comparison to the 52 mm Classic Full. Though fully set up on the 9.25 popsicle with 169s it’s not too bad actually. Flipping this board is challenging no matter what but they definitely add some heft. Maybe the 55 mm Radials that recently came out are the best compromise. For an all around board I cannot see myself go back under 54 mm right now.

I’m riding the 55 oski radials and they’re pretty damn near perfect. I would love a 52-53 radial for my street set ups but they haven’t done one in a while it seems

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4249 on: July 24, 2022, 07:01:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m riding the 55 oski radials and they’re pretty damn near perfect. I would love a 52-53 radial for my street set ups but they haven’t done one in a while it seems

Bigger wheels definitely have a place in my heart, but I also have quite a few setups.  Even just having two completes, one with bigger wheels and one with smaller wheels usually means I have the best of both worlds, but the other thing is a lot of the time they are the same wheels, one set fairly new, the other set well worn down, so there is that option, depending on which wheel it is, more so the Classics but any wheel should be ok besides super heavy wide wheels.

As far as Radial Full wheels, I have seen them around a bit now in shops and on people's boards and they are an excellent wheel for the sort of skating that relies on going faster, rolling over everything and fewer tech type tricks, even though people can still flip, grind and slide well on them.

The only reason I haven't bought a set or three is I just have too many other wheels and cannot justify any more, but I think they would be a whole lot of fun on bigger or "go faster" boards, for which I already have Conical Full or Radial Full in 56 and 58 mm sizes.

The two sets of Radials in 54 mm I have are maybe 52 to 53 mm now and are so good, but I also find wearing down Classic 54, 55 or 56 to a similar size works just as well for me, so if you are pining for Radials, then at least that is another option, using them on a bigger board to start with and then putting them on the tech setup once they wear down a few mm.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4250 on: July 25, 2022, 06:17:09 AM »

I picked up some 53 trippy swirl radials in HB a few weeks ago. The skate like a girl wheels come in this size and shape too. They are low stock so just have to find them...

Edit: neither of those are potato colored so that may matter to some.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4251 on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I picked up some 53 trippy swirl radials in HB a few weeks ago. The skate like a girl wheels come in this size and shape too. They are low stock so just have to find them...

Edit: neither of those are potato colored so that may matter to some.

Yeah, that was my issue, colored wheels just don't do it for me. I should just get over it but I keep thinking "the next drop will have potato 53 radials, i know it".

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4252 on: July 27, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »

Wheel madness is real. Took my Heroin egg out for a lazy day session. Really liked the 53 mm Classics on that setup, so not sure about the big wheels any more. I'll just give up on finding the perfect setup and mix things up.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4253 on: August 02, 2022, 07:35:39 AM »
Anyone know what's going on with radials? Been looking for them for months but they're just not available in 54mm or below.

Might have to get some Classic Fulls but not sure if anyone knows anything and if it's worth waiting a bit longer?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #4254 on: August 02, 2022, 07:42:36 AM »
Anyone know what's going on with radials? Been looking for them for months but they're just not available in 54mm or below.

Might have to get some Classic Fulls but not sure if anyone knows anything and if it's worth waiting a bit longer?
I don't have any info on radials, but classic fulls are becoming about as scarce since they weren't in the last drop.  So if you know where some are you better grab them.

Get hungry on it!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4255 on: August 02, 2022, 08:24:42 AM »

Seriously. It's like they just stopped producing radial/radial slims. Damn shame.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Bumba

« Reply #4256 on: August 02, 2022, 08:59:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't have any info on radials, but classic fulls are becoming about as scarce since they weren't in the last drop.  So if you know where some are you better grab them.

Aghhh okay think I'll grab them then. They're from a shop I like too. It's the repeaters graphic from last year I think

Bumba

« Reply #4257 on: August 02, 2022, 09:00:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seriously. It's like they just stopped producing radial/radial slims. Damn shame.

Yeah not sure what's going on. Such a good shape and I feel like they last forever unlike classics. Can only find the chunky Oski and Kader Radials atm

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4258 on: August 02, 2022, 09:21:02 AM »

I posted a few posts up...they are out there but not in potato color.

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-radial-trippy-swirl-skateboard-wheels-99d-53mm-1-7536761569536/
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4259 on: August 02, 2022, 10:47:53 AM »

Yeah I’ve heard rumors there may be some 53-54 radials coming, but no potato colors; all black or swirl or whatever