Author Topic: Thrasher's "Grindland"  (Read 6772 times)

whaaaaat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
Re: Thrasher's "Grindland"
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »
Who is making Burnett recite those lines? Is he in danger? I shudder.

The parts actually about Mark & Red made me proud to be a pacific northwest skateboarder. Then all the parts at the Lincoln City contest made me embarrassed to be one.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2022, 09:39:14 PM »
Did Mark die of an overdose? Anyone here care to delve into the history. Red was a big user too?

I know it’s a little taboo but it’s relevant info also.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2022, 11:50:50 PM »
it was a skateboarder made documentary that was free on the thrasher website, it’s not sundance festival. i enjoyed it. rest in peace.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 12:35:27 AM »

The parts actually about Mark & Red made me proud to be a pacific northwest skateboarder. Then all the parts at the Lincoln City contest made me embarrassed to be one.

spot on. burnett has no on-screen persona, like phelps had. also, the random weirdos could be left out

those fs flip attempts were insane

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 05:59:37 AM »
I loved it. I hope there will be more vids like this out in the future.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 07:02:19 AM »
Burnett has such a rehearsed, odd, teleprompter robotic way of talking it just sucks any sentiment out of the room.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 07:50:48 AM »
I don't have any unique take aways; seems like I'm agreeing with the consensus here. It was a fun watch but the trailer was a tad misleading (as a pervious comment pointed out, they didn't get any more in depth than the trailer did), and I could have done with less comp footage and more archival bits. Both Red and Monk seemed like there were no hard feelings about the partnership split which I'd heard but it was cool to see/hear from the folks close to them.

All that gnarly NW park skating did make me want to push myself to try out new stuff on transition; well until I saw Cory take one to the dome and get KO'd. Those attempts were insane too. Didn't look possible until that last one he almost caught before slamming.

As a message piece of "only you can make your dreams come true" the vid works well and it seemed like that was their intent. It's definitely an inspiring story for creatives and skaters alike.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 08:01:46 AM »
does michael burnett skate?

Not too sure BUT he did work at the Boulder skatepark back in the day. Used to make myself and my friends wear full pads, till we showed up with another friend of ours who was pro and then suddenly he changed his tune. Always will remember him for that strange move. Seemed like a bit of a weenie back then.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 105
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 08:15:20 AM »
I enjoyed this, Monk was one of a kind and Red rules.
Cocteau Twins

Monopolyman

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 08:23:50 AM »
Expand Quote
does michael burnett skate?
[close]

Not too sure BUT he did work at the Boulder skatepark back in the day. Used to make myself and my friends wear full pads, till we showed up with another friend of ours who was pro and then suddenly he changed his tune. Always will remember him for that strange move. Seemed like a bit of a weenie back then.

Yes he skates.  He has some lip tricks, he can ollie a gap, he’s mostly an 80’s transition dude.  He has some moves.  He posts on his insta stories once in a while.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 22
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 09:21:01 AM »
I could have done without seeing Corey going into a seizure on the flat bottom. That should have been cut.

Monopolyman

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 10:15:13 AM »
I could have done without seeing Corey going into a seizure on the flat bottom. That should have been cut.

Agreed.  Kindve confused the thesis of the film.  To me, the current ending is saying Lincoln City and the other parks they made changed skating to make more inventive raw transition skating popular, and made it competitive with the likes of baseball again (re: little league game across the parking lot), but that its also still gnarly and you can get fucked up.  But rest of film wasnt really about that duality so it kindve comes out of nowhere.  It’s so nonchalant/cavalier the way Cory’s injury is dealt with, when its truly hard to watch.  The film never addresses head trauma/CTE so if you didnt know the real narrative you’d think Hubbard and the other skaters theyre tributing died of head trauma too.  Just an odd choice and speaks to the gaps in the story

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 10:36:40 AM »
It was fun to watch, but I had a lot of questions after that it.

Drugs seem to have a lot of impact of everbodys life in this one, so why not address it in a sensible way?

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 12:00:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed.  Kindve confused the thesis of the film.  To me, the current ending is saying Lincoln City and the other parks they made changed skating to make more inventive raw transition skating popular, and made it competitive with the likes of baseball again (re: little league game across the parking lot), but that its also still gnarly and you can get fucked up.  But rest of film wasnt really about that duality so it kindve comes out of nowhere.  It’s so nonchalant/cavalier the way Cory’s injury is dealt with, when its truly hard to watch.  The film never addresses head trauma/CTE so if you didnt know the real narrative you’d think Hubbard and the other skaters theyre tributing died of head trauma too.  Just an odd choice and speaks to the gaps in the story

It's a documentary about that day and anyone who was there would know it's bullshit if you don't include a major part of it. The parks are big, the concrete is hard, and anyone who watches it can plainly see the consequences at risk. Not everything needs to be a pandering PSA.

Monopolyman

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 12:07:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's a documentary about that day and anyone who was there would know it's bullshit if you don't include a major part of it. The parks are big, the concrete is hard, and anyone who watches it can plainly see the consequences at risk. Not everything needs to be a pandering PSA.

Who asked for a pandering PSA.  I was critiquing the structure of the film and the qualities of the storytelling.  I would disagree that it’s a doc about that day, rather the day is part of telling Monk and Red’s story.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2022, 12:51:50 PM »
i would have loved a burnett voice over: “these two best friends and skate rats worked so hard to realize their dream, and now olympic athlete cory juneau is having seizure right here at the same lincoln city park that started it all”

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2022, 12:55:49 PM »
I could have done without seeing Corey going into a seizure on the flat bottom. Dave Duncan That should have been cut.

Monopolyman

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
i would have loved a burnett voice over: “these two best friends and skate rats worked so hard to realize their dream, and now olympic athlete cory juneau is having seizure right here at the same lincoln city park that started it all”

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2022, 01:58:33 PM »

Lol, ya that pretty much captures it.

I've always thought that Red is a super talented skateboarder.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2022, 02:48:14 PM »
holy shit lmfao

drewdc

• Rep: -85
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
I think they should be more transparent about the drug use. Heroin sucks and kills . Some people look up to Monk and Phelps and should know that they did heroin and died . plain and simple , sometimes you have to learn from other peoples mistakes. 

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 805
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2022, 07:46:52 PM »
This thing was weird and not really what they presented it to be.  I was expecting some kind of cinematic documentary about these two guys, and it was really just a burnout episode about that one event with some puff piece doc segments awkwardly thrown in. 

It was entertaining, but they sold it like it was a definitive documentary about the diy scene, and it definitely was not that
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2022, 08:06:54 PM »
This thing was weird and not really what they presented it to be.  I was expecting some kind of cinematic documentary about these two guys, and it was really just a burnout episode about that one event with some puff piece doc segments awkwardly thrown in. 

It was entertaining, but they sold it like it was a definitive documentary about the diy scene, and it definitely was not that

Agreed. I enjoyed it, but i wish there was more coverage on DIY – how Burnside not only led to two concrete builders, but directly inspired other iconic DIY spots like Marginal Way, Channel St, Washington St, etc.

user18081971

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2022, 08:12:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I could have done without seeing Corey going into a seizure on the flat bottom. Dave Duncan That should have been cut.
[close]

woooo independent trucks yoooo

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 05:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote
You gotta love Preoccupations.

Also, getting heavy Pool Jumpers vibes with the trailer.

[close]

Holy shit haha it is the same trailer

Full circle.   I believe Pooljumpers was made in response to the original Dogtown and the Z Boys documentary

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 06:24:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You gotta love Preoccupations.

Also, getting heavy Pool Jumpers vibes with the trailer.

[close]

Holy shit haha it is the same trailer
[close]

Full circle.   I believe Pooljumpers was made in response to the original Dogtown and the Z Boys documentary

That looks more honest than the Dreamline documentary.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2022, 07:38:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Who asked for a pandering PSA.  I was critiquing the structure of the film and the qualities of the storytelling.  I would disagree that it’s a doc about that day, rather the day is part of telling Monk and Red’s story.

Yeah, it makes more sense to include that when they’re talking about how gnarly the park is.   Right after the French guy shreds his pants and pantaloons

Burnett must have got some sort of media training from Vice because he has the same Youth Pastor vibes/cadence here he had during Kotr eps.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »
will trade (1) gnar for gif of the gurney scream

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »

I would have gnar’d you for letting me forget that, but then you said something and now I’m sad.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 09:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would have gnar’d you for letting me forget that, but then you said something and now I’m sad.

But i just want the gif not a gnar