Author Topic: Flip hkd bearings the best for the price?  (Read 4772 times)

Gorillastyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -34
Flip hkd bearings the best for the price?
« on: January 01, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
I havent tried the abec 7s but the abec 5s are probly the smoothest, fastest bearings ive ever tried. They are pretty cheap too, especially compared to swiss.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Re: Flip hkd bearings the best for the price?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
I have a set right now actually; they do what bearings are supposed to do, none have cracked so far either, so they're ok in my book so far

Gorillastyle

• Rep: -34
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »
I have a set right now actually; they do what bearings are supposed to do, none have cracked so far either, so they're ok in my book so far
Nice. Also i wanted to add, if you crank your wheel/axle nuts tight, flips are one of the few bearings ive tried that still spin fine. I loosen them up a bit just to be safe but yeah they seem to have a great design.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »
spitfire cheapshots

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
spitfire cheapshots

I've been wanting to try these.  Just got Andales instead to check them out because I mostly ride Black Panthers/Reds
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
spitfire cheapshots
i'm riding these they're pretty decent

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

I've been wanting to try these.  Just got Andales instead to check them out because I mostly ride Black Panthers/Reds

I skated their abec 7’s; they were the worst bearings I’ve ever had.  Started out slow, only to get slower before I gave up and trashed them after about 2 weeks. Hopefully you have a better experience with yours.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

[close]

I skated their abec 7’s; they were the worst bearings I’ve ever had.  Started out slow, only to get slower before I gave up and trashed them after about 2 weeks. Hopefully you have a better experience with yours.
My daughter got the daewon donut andale bearings and they started out like they had sludge in them.  I told her to break em in and they just got worse.  I finally popped the shield and cleaned them and they were still garbage.  Mind you she's 8 and doesn't skate any dirty spots or anything so it was just the bearings being terrible.  Had to trash them..

ohnowisee

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

[close]

[close]
My daughter got the daewon donut andale bearings and they started out like they had sludge in them.  I told her to break em in and they just got worse.  I finally popped the shield and cleaned them and they were still garbage.  Mind you she's 8 and doesn't skate any dirty spots or anything so it was just the bearings being terrible.  Had to trash them..

Well that's a bummer. Too late to turn back now, we'll see how they work. Otherwise, cheapshots it is.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

Tally810

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 04:41:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Well that's a bummer. Too late to turn back now, we'll see how they work. Otherwise, cheapshots it is.
I had a set of the p rod andales and they did just fine.  Not sure what was up with the donuts.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I had a set of the p rod andales and they did just fine.  Not sure what was up with the donuts.

I had their ABEC 7s and Dae's first set of the donuts. Absolutely trash.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »

Exactly the same experience here with these bearings. Also, in my case, at some point the shields were popping out by themselves after each Ollie. I finally got 2 wheels blocked and not turning at all --> replaced everything by my old Reds, which are far from being fresh but at least still rolling.

Disclaimer: I bought them last year during a skatewarehouse sale and with a significant price reduction: maybe they were defect?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
there are HKD abec 5's in my girlfriends board. Pretty crap, but they were like 7$ so yeah, for the price. Damn Good

Tally810

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly the same experience here with these bearings. Also, in my case, at some point the shields were popping out by themselves after each Ollie. I finally got 2 wheels blocked and not turning at all --> replaced everything by my old Reds, which are far from being fresh but at least still rolling.

Disclaimer: I bought them last year during a skatewarehouse sale and with a significant price reduction: maybe they were defect?
Damn seeing that you the third person with shitty donuts I think it's safe to say it probably wasn't a defect but rather they are just bad.  I'm done playing the bearing game tho and swiss from here on out since the sets I've had lasted forever with some simply cleaning.  I even tried some oust bearings about 4 months ago and they were great until recently they all just started taking a shit so I had to swap them.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

bin the andales. the cheapshots are great. on my first set and had them for 3 months. had swiss before these and i'd say they almost on par with them

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spitfire cheapshots
[close]

[close]

bin the andales. the cheapshots are great. on my first set and had them for 3 months. had swiss before these and i'd say they almost on par with them

Damn.  Might have to try them out.

I’ve got a set of Reds Ceramics coming in the mail any day now.  It was an impulse buy and wholly unnecessary.  Anyone have any experience with them?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 10:02:58 PM »
if $17 Reds are too much for you

you deserve the future inconvenience other shit will cause

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 11:06:31 PM »
If you have to go low cost on bearings then 11:11 bearings are wonderful as hell. They're $9.99 on skate warehouse so the time. Plus they have 19% off everything right now

B0udoir

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 11:35:25 PM »
  I'm done playing the bearing game tho

Same for me. I have tried Cheapshots, Andale Donuts, Andale "hot sauce", Bronson Raws, Reds and Race Reds.
They are all very good just out of the box, but after a couple of hours, everything collapse. To my opinion Reds are the best ratio price/quality. Andale are shit for their high price, but Branson Raws are the worst total rip off. In my case they got dead after 4 hours. I knew that the "audible speed technology" was a stupid gimmick but still, I wanted to try by myself. Now I know that I have to stop spending money on stupid things, especially when it comes to bearings. This also means that I will never try Swiss or Ceramics or bla bla bla over $17. I'm done.

Octobre Rouge.

• Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:31 AM »
This also means that I will never try Swiss or Ceramics or bla bla bla over $17. I'm done.

Trust me, high end bearings are great.
After spending 11 years flipping the shred sled, i finally bought a set of Swiss six 4 months ago.
The lasting speed and the smoothness of the ride is next level.
Clean and lube them, and they feel factory fresh.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 06:10:52 AM »
i have the andale blues set up right now, those are the cheapest one they make (i think they're the same price as bones reds) and they feel fine, nothing great but they roll and don't feel slow. i have skated them like 5 times and i have already lost a couple shields.

Alex

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 06:15:38 AM »
Get some independent black bearings on amazon for 11 dollars

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 06:16:35 AM »
I bought a whole case of these super cheap in one of those skate warehouse deal of the day things and have slowly been working my way through them. They're at least as good as reds.

Tally810

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/3OxjNUf

The last couple years I've been experimenting with several brands of bearings and none of them have stacked up to swiss so I'm back.  Oust bearing were super good at first and the best by far that I've tried but after a couple months they started busting and not working.  Andales were just not good.  Olympias are pretty good so far.  I do have a set of Bronson raws my brother got me for Christmas and they are super nice on my cruiser right out the box and the sound they make is really nice.  However from what I've heard after some use they will just start dieing.  Guess my adventure in trying bearings was for nothing

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »
I bought independent blacks based on good reviews here, but they suck.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »

The last couple years I've been experimenting with several brands of bearings and none of them have stacked up to swiss so I'm back.  Oust bearing were super good at first and the best by far that I've tried but after a couple months they started busting and not working.  Andales were just not good.  Olympias are pretty good so far.  I do have a set of Bronson raws my brother got me for Christmas and they are super nice on my cruiser right out the box and the sound they make is really nice.  However from what I've heard after some use they will just start dieing.  Guess my adventure in trying bearings was for nothing
Nah, past the hate, RAWS are actually decent. They really do have mixed reviews, based on what set you get.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Tally810

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 07:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nah, past the hate, RAWS are actually decent. They really do have mixed reviews, based on what set you get.
Yea like I said right out of the box they feel great and sound great.  From what people say they take a shit pretty fast tho so I guess I will see. 

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
For what it’s worth, I have a set on my cruiser/rain board for about 6 months and have withstood all kinds of abuse, skating through puddles, pouring rain, mud, dirt, salt etc, and haven’t really slowed down at all. 

So I’m quite impressed by them.  I have no idea why mine are doing so well while lots of other people have bad experiences with them.

Maybe because I never jump down anything higher than a curb on that board?  Who knows.

B0udoir

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
  I have no idea why mine are doing so well while lots of other people have bad experiences with them.

Hum... I bought my set on sale from skatewarehouse, and they got destroyed in a couple of hours. Maybe they were defect?

The issue is that, after all this time, all the "on sale" products that I bought from skatewarehouse were destroyed in a couple of hours. Is it just bad luck or they sell defect products on purpose?

ged frall

• Rep: -3
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 02:58:54 AM »
you cannot beat bones swiss, no matter how 'on par' you think cheaper bearings are. swiss six if you can afford it, reds if you cannot. everything else is obsolete