Author Topic: Popping with your knees vs popping with your feet?  (Read 1262 times)

dime a dozen trend skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Popping with your knees vs popping with your feet?
« on: May 27, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
This is a really abstract concept and I’ve never really been able to articulate it to any of my skate friends in real life but I’m gonna do my best because I’m curious if anyone else here experiences the same thing.

When popping any trick I can do it one of two ways I can pop with my “feet” or “knees”.

Popping with my feet is when I use my foot to almost manually snap the tail to the ground then drag my front foot up to the nose, my pop often feels heavy and rocketed when I do this and flip tricks flip slow and low (sometimes even going behind me). I struggle to get into grinds like this as I often end up under popping the Ollie in. I usually pop like this when I’m going slow, trying something I’m uncomfortable with or just not warmed up.

Popping with my “knees” is when I just bend my knees to set up and sort of spring upward, muscle memory kind of takes over for my feet and my tricks feel more like an extension of me just jumping. Flip tricks especially kickflips are super controlled and fast flipping this way, I can also
easily pop into grinds and slides like this with minimal effort. It probably has something to do with the fact that when I pop like this I’m a lot less tense and my motions are more fluid as well as my feet being more flat so I catch more of the board/create more friction.

I understand this probably makes no sense  :P but I want to know if any other pals have a similar experiences

MaXX_I-D

Re: Popping with your knees vs popping with your feet?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:46 AM »
 Does that mean that when you "pop with your feet" you aren't bending your knees or jumping?

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »
Does that mean that when you "pop with your feet" you aren't bending your knees or jumping?
Hahah no, it’s more like weight/pressure is on my feet and toes when I jump and my ankles and knees are more tense when I do it too

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1493
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »
I'd argue the pop is actually in your core. Just like in martial arts.

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 04:16:56 AM »
It's all in the wrist.
-Summer of George-

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 07:37:26 AM »
I poop with my bum.....

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 09:28:50 PM »
I poop with my bum.....

funny, i laugh
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »
You can do Ollies in different ways, like for quick ollies I pop mostly with my backfoot and with only slightly bend knees. But these Ollies wont be high (Glen Fox is for this stuff a really good example).
If I jump more out of a crouched position it is like I am jumping with both legs while striking down the tail with my backfoot while I'm jumping up, which results that I get a more stable jump and also more height but I wont be that agile to do another ollie in quick succession.

Or from an other perspective it is kinda like jumping with one leg vs both legs.
(When you Skipping [Rope] you mostly use your ankles).

luffy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 06:04:34 PM »
This is a really abstract concept and I’ve never really been able to articulate it to any of my skate friends in real life but I’m gonna do my best because I’m curious if anyone else here experiences the same thing.

When popping any trick I can do it one of two ways I can pop with my “feet” or “knees”.

Popping with my feet is when I use my foot to almost manually snap the tail to the ground then drag my front foot up to the nose, my pop often feels heavy and rocketed when I do this and flip tricks flip slow and low (sometimes even going behind me). I struggle to get into grinds like this as I often end up under popping the Ollie in. I usually pop like this when I’m going slow, trying something I’m uncomfortable with or just not warmed up.

Popping with my “knees” is when I just bend my knees to set up and sort of spring upward, muscle memory kind of takes over for my feet and my tricks feel more like an extension of me just jumping. Flip tricks especially kickflips are super controlled and fast flipping this way, I can also
easily pop into grinds and slides like this with minimal effort. It probably has something to do with the fact that when I pop like this I’m a lot less tense and my motions are more fluid as well as my feet being more flat so I catch more of the board/create more friction.

I understand this probably makes no sense  :P but I want to know if any other pals have a similar experiences

I’ve literally been digging for weeks to hear about this topic. I recently noticed i’m always popping from my feet and am on my toes due to that. Everytime I try to flatten my back foot and pop like that I feel a little more control and stable but loose like all of my pop completely. Maybe I need to work on ankle mobility idk

dublak2

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:31:11 AM »
IDK about feet vs knees, but I definitely have different grades of athleticism in my skating depending on the day and how warmed up I am. We don't always have our full range of motion and/or strength. Gotta wake the muscles up and lubricate the bursa sacs.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 02:21:44 PM »
comes from the hambones