Author Topic: "If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"  (Read 4718 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: "If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2024, 08:22:50 AM »
Jeremy Wray has famously said he "Ollies" first then kicks whether kick or heel, I can't remember where I saw hit but he basically said if it could be Ollied it could be Kickflipped. Anyone remember that?

Yeah maybe an epicly?  I think about him saying that a bit

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 109
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2024, 10:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There is a physical limit to kickflipping over something that can be ollied.

The kickflip needs the width of the deck/trucks to pass under the feet, while the Ollie just needs the height of the deck/wheels.

The width is longer than the height.

Therefore, if the height of the jump of the person is equal in all circumstances, it is impossible for the kickflip to pass over the same height of obstacle as an Ollie (at the person’s maximum height of obstacle clearance).

*see the Reese Forbes x Element Ollie Challenge photo above where Danny Wainwright is ollieing your face.

So, in fact, the statement “if you can Ollie it, you can kickflip it” is not true as there are circumstances in which it is false.
[close]

focus nerd we're talking about sk8ing here
[close]

He's right though, you fuckin jabroni.
[close]

Actually, you fucking jabroni, he's wrong because if you time the kickflip correctly it will be horizontal over the obstacle, thereby negating the above argument.

Furthermore, one might argue that since the board will potentially be upside down over the obstacle when timed correctly, having the trucks out of the way, some obstacles may very well only be able to be kickflipped and not ollied over.
[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.

Both, you fucking novice. Flicking and catching the board before reaching the apex of the pop will give the same clearance as an ollie of the same height. Flicking and catching the board so that it is timed to have the board be upside down at the apex of the pop will give slightly more clearance than an ollie. Both situations theoretically can yield as much or more clearance than an ollie.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2024, 10:24:33 AM »
Some of you are getting way too literal with the idea but that’s cool

It was more of a thought of who would be the skater to see a gnarly Ollie and think “oh yeah, I got kick flip on that”, ie; Milton into the car wash. Not so much of “every Ollie could have been a kickflip”

Makes me imagine things like upstream KF to 50 on the NYC pyramid ledges, or the KF up the stage gap Westgate Ollied up

Tyshawn’s name could be added to the list
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2024, 10:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
still cant believe bachinsky is the only one to have done a flip trick down el toro (no grab) after all these years

he stands alone
[close]
And with a fucking 7.5

And massive shoes. If I think I can Ollie smthng I'll usually skip it and just kickflip it. Too old for multiple tricks and all the impact. I think Milton is the gnarliest but I don't think we've seen the best kickflipper yet or know who they are.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2024, 10:53:12 AM »
It would be possible but not over an obstacle. When you reach your maximum height olleing, the board is glued to your feet but not when kick flipping. No matter if the board is upside down when it’s over the obstacle, you need that space between your feet and the board to let it flip.

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2024, 10:54:00 AM »
As far as drops and stairs go, theres no reason that theory shouldn't work. It really just comes down to how confident you are with a kickflip. 

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2024, 04:36:32 PM »
It would be possible but not over an obstacle. When you reach your maximum height olleing, the board is glued to your feet but not when kick flipping. No matter if the board is upside down when it’s over the obstacle, you need that space between your feet and the board to let it flip.
you could half flip late flip it, which is technically considered a kickflip

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2024, 07:26:36 PM »

kickflip this

Would like to see that
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2024, 08:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you could half flip late flip it, which is technically considered a kickflip

Good one! Then an ollie late flip would be valid too

PapaSquat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2024, 09:33:08 PM »
prime luan for water tower kickflip

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 10
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2024, 12:27:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The kickflip needs the width of the deck/trucks to pass under the feet, while the Ollie just needs the height of the deck/wheels.

Therefore, if the height of the jump of the person is equal in all circumstances, it is impossible for the kickflip to pass over the same height of obstacle as an Ollie (at the person’s maximum height of obstacle clearance).

*see the Reese Forbes x Element Ollie Challenge photo above where Danny Wainwright is ollieing your face.

So, in fact, the statement “if you can Ollie it, you can kickflip it” is not true as there are circumstances in which it is false.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Actually, you fucking jabroni, he's wrong because if you time the kickflip correctly it will be horizontal over the obstacle, thereby negating the above argument.

Furthermore, one might argue that since the board will potentially be upside down over the obstacle when timed correctly, having the trucks out of the way, some obstacles may very well only be able to be kickflipped and not ollied over.
[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

Both, you fucking novice. Flicking and catching the board before reaching the apex of the pop will give the same clearance as an ollie of the same height. Flicking and catching the board so that it is timed to have the board be upside down at the apex of the pop will give slightly more clearance than an ollie. Both situations theoretically can yield as much or more clearance than an ollie.

Surely, with all of this kickflip theory expertise you must have an immaculate kickflip yourself. Are you able to kickflip everything you can ollie?

Because I certainly cannot.

And I have a spectacular kickflip, one might even say it's... Dylan-esque.

Rune Spliffberg

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2024, 04:18:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

[close]

Surely, with all of this kickflip theory expertise you must have an immaculate kickflip yourself. Are you able to kickflip everything you can ollie?

you seem to be taking this a little personally. this thread is about the theoretical limits of ollies and kickflips, not about each individual's personal capability. I understand you wanting to steer it in that direction, however, given how you've been absolutely handled.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2024, 06:38:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

[close]

[close]

you seem to be taking this a little personally. this thread is about the theoretical limits of ollies and kickflips, not about each individual's personal capability. I understand you wanting to steer it in that direction, however, given how you've been absolutely handled.

I'm not really picking up what you're putting down here partner.

In all of your theory crafting, there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why people aren't kickflipping as high (or in your mostly lofty theory, even higher) as they ollie.

If you are so sound in your theory, you should try to prove it. That's what I was trying to assert when I asked you how good your kickflip was. Because until proven, it's just some crap that a guy on the Internet with a buster ass mobbed kickflip said.

Not exactly valuable.

GMB

• Rep: 8
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2024, 07:28:36 AM »
I have a lot of faith in the one guy who was skating Tamp and ollied over the bump to bar from flat and the proceeded to kickflip from nose the cross rail from flat also

he does kickflips in a way that he’s still going up after he catches them

https://www.instagram.com/wacsonmass?igsh=MTdzOWpyMWlsZTNzcw==

This dude? His amazing, brazilian pop at its best

Rune Spliffberg

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2024, 09:40:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

In all of your theory crafting, there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why people aren't kickflipping as high (or in your mostly lofty theory, even higher) as they ollie.

If you are so sound in your theory, you should try to prove it. That's what I was trying to assert when I asked you how good your kickflip was. Because until proven, it's just some crap that a guy on the Internet with a buster ass mobbed kickflip said.

Not exactly valuable.

anyone who can kickflip to the near theoretical limits of the trick isnt posting on slap, pal

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2024, 12:07:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not exactly valuable.
[close]

anyone who can kickflip to the near theoretical limits of the trick isnt posting on slap, pal

idk man, I once hardflipped this high *shows with hand*

don't underestimate us

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2024, 12:37:45 PM »
Expand Quote
I have a lot of faith in the one guy who was skating Tamp and ollied over the bump to bar from flat and the proceeded to kickflip from nose the cross rail from flat also

he does kickflips in a way that he’s still going up after he catches them
[close]

https://www.instagram.com/wacsonmass?igsh=MTdzOWpyMWlsZTNzcw==

This dude? His amazing, brazilian pop at its best

Yes, thank you

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2024, 01:29:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not exactly valuable.
[close]

It's not about kickflipping at the theoretical limits of the trick, it's about being able to kickflip something if it can be ollied. And I don't think there's any skateboarder (at any skill level) that could kickflip over the absolute highest thing they could ollie.

If we're staying in theory land, I feel like there is a loss of energy being transferred when the front foot leaves the board after flicking the kickflip and stops making contact with the board. I feel like that's the limiting factor here. You're always going to be able to put more energy into your board during an ollie because you're more connected to it throughout the motion.

I'm starting to think you are either so good at kickflips and have actually kickflipped the highest thing You've ollied. Or you are just so bad/inexperienced with kickflips that you don't understand how unlikely the first scenario is.

Sorry for calling you a jabroni and getting so deep on this. I just wanted to talk some smack, and now I'm exhausted. Good luck with your future skateboard theory crafting.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 66
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2024, 04:06:38 PM »
You know, after nearly 20 years this makes me think that Bachinksy's 7.5 kickflip really was a fucking anomaly.
Either that or his and Reynolds' Davis ones are close to the physical limits of what's possible to kickflip in terms of combined length and drop.

Then there's that bank to fence that was kickflipped and fs flipped. That's probably the tallest.

I know Davis gap has been kickflipped and probably other (longer) gaps than El Toro but that trick and when it was done still continues to confound and impress me. Plenty of people could ollie El Toro and plenty of tricks have been done and attempted. But one singular flip trick is all it got. I mean, arguably two of the most "elite" skaters - Jah and Shecks- both got fucking served trying one of the logical "next step" tricks after the kickflip.

ETA:
Does no-one else find it funny that two of the most progressive tricks down El toro were done by sweaty-Marlboro-cap-wearing-and-smoking Dave Bachinsky - who was not particularly known for going huge like that and whose other most notable part is a mini-ramp part- and Nick fucking Merlino?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 04:18:01 PM by Cheshire Cat »

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -286
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2024, 09:44:39 AM »
Ryan Decenzo can kick flip anything

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2024, 09:56:21 AM »
The take that kickflip may be able to be done higher than an ollie in here is the hottest I've seen in a while...
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Keef Hernandez

• Rep: -30
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2024, 09:58:52 AM »
Was Bachinksy's kickflip really on a 7.5? So fucked if true.

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2024, 10:03:34 AM »
I don't even know if he can do one, but I'm picking Aurelien Giraud.  The thing is I don't think the bar is being collectively pushed in that way anymore...maybe like 20% capacity as it was 20 years ago.....I'm sort of glad....
People being ok with the hucking stagnation is why instead of having a mini decenzo or sheckler coming up right now we have kids skating black wheels and doing ride on grinds to emo music.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2024, 10:21:30 AM »
For real though, could Westgate have ollied this pillar and bar higher?

https://youtube.com/shorts/pywwagrcXOA?si=SS37X22OZh4kpP45

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2024, 06:32:56 PM »
Distance: if it's ollie-able, it's more than likely kickflip-able

Height: if it's ollie-able, it's not always probable to be kickflip-able,  but still possible.

This is because more energy is required, as well as more needs to go right for it to work. Most people don't kickflip as high as their best ollie, even on their best day of skating.

I'd like to see a Tiago, Tyshawn, Jake Hayes challenge this theory at well known "vertical" style spots that haven't been kickflipped/heelflipped yet, rather than the typical UC Davis gap style spots with no height requirements
Super Champion Fun Zone

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2024, 07:16:01 PM »
It’s a cick flip and yeah anything possible and you stand in the shoulders of giants and pay attention to how things be and the way things have gone then yes. If you can Ollie it can you nollie it? That is the real question and the way people should think of a linear progress. Not like I give a fuck about that but if you playing martial arts Then do switch Ollie and fakie Ollie. Be well rounded like the drawing Leonardo DaVinci made of a man.

Ninj2 = jinn2 = JINN IS BACK!!!!!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2024, 07:02:02 PM »
For real though, could Westgate have ollied this pillar and bar higher?

https://youtube.com/shorts/pywwagrcXOA?si=SS37X22OZh4kpP45

Exactly. The board flips on the way up and levels, caught at peak, slightly boned. Perfect example and supports what @Rune Spliffberg is arguing
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2024, 08:48:22 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s a cick flip and yeah anything possible and you stand in the shoulders of giants and pay attention to how things be and the way things have gone then yes. If you can Ollie it can you nollie it? That is the real question and the way people should think of a linear progress. Not like I give a fuck about that but if you playing martial arts Then do switch Ollie and fakie Ollie. Be well rounded like the drawing Leonardo DaVinci made of a man.
[close]

Ninj2 = jinn2 = JINN IS BACK!!!!!

I thought this was understood

RoughStylin

• Rep: 34
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2024, 10:08:56 PM »
If someone kickflips this, I’ll approve the statement

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXAqjCPJVaB/?igsh=MTlmZjQ5ZWQzemN2eQ==

Mallie

• Rep: 40
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2024, 12:20:23 AM »
Ryan Decenzo can kick flip anything

He's saving El Torro for his retirement part. Or some sort of Red Bull backed, too long, over-edited, corny-soundtracked but still technically impressive "40 at 40" vid.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...