Author Topic: Jenkem: ARE SKATEBOARDERS THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN JOCKS?  (Read 5081 times)

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 128
Re: Jenkem: ARE SKATEBOARDERS THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN JOCKS?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
Whoever wrote this outs themselves as being under 25 with their Duffel anecdote, and yet pines for a time when skateboarding was still radical and separated from the monoculture? an era that was very much extinct before his time.

The fact that this ham fisted pile of faux-liberatory politics reads like something out of an Intro to Composition community college course only solves the question of whether skate writers are that much worse than sports writers (they are.)
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -7
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
I was disappointed that the article didn't touch on homophobia at all despite the term being included in the introduction. While racism and sexism are definitely more common in skateboarding than they should be, homophobia is on a whole other level: it is the norm. Pro skaters aren't able to come out of the closet, because that would negatively affect their boardsales. Meanwhile, even the (conservative) mainstream of society is more open to homosexuality.

Is skateboarding a progressive subculture or an outlet for immature teenagers acting all "edgy" and "politically incorrect"? Fuck, clearly the latter and it has made up its mind long ago, too. There's a few exceptions (e.g., Templeton and Stranger making political statements), but the vast majority of the skateboard community is described best by the term "edgy jocks."
[close]

YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER TO SUPPORT THIS RIDICULOUS CLAIM

That's true of course. How would I? There is no evidence, because there hasn't been any outing in skateboarding so far. However, I think that homophobia is more prevalent in skateboarding than in other subcultures.

Which brings me to your other comment. There is such a thing as subcultures, some of which have been aptly described by social sciences. Don't try to act like this notion doesn't exist. The subculture of skateboarding is defined through videos, magazines, local scenes, etc... hell, even through internet forums. The interactions among skateboarders lead to certain values and attitudes (e.g., hostility towards other groups, clothing, etc.). It's not too far off to state that compared to other subcultures (such as punkrock or the ultra movement) homophobia is not much of a taboo in skateboarding. Calling out people as "fags" is common among locals and pros alike. Tim von Werne's career was cut short, because he came out of the closet. There is NOT A SINGLE openly gay pro skateboarder. These are facts. On the other hand, there are openly gay major politicians and other public figures. You wanna go on and pretend like the skateboarding world isn't any different from other subcultures or the mainstream in respect to homosexuality?

nice_guy_2

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was disappointed that the article didn't touch on homophobia at all despite the term being included in the introduction. While racism and sexism are definitely more common in skateboarding than they should be, homophobia is on a whole other level: it is the norm. Pro skaters aren't able to come out of the closet, because that would negatively affect their boardsales. Meanwhile, even the (conservative) mainstream of society is more open to homosexuality.

Is skateboarding a progressive subculture or an outlet for immature teenagers acting all "edgy" and "politically incorrect"? Fuck, clearly the latter and it has made up its mind long ago, too. There's a few exceptions (e.g., Templeton and Stranger making political statements), but the vast majority of the skateboard community is described best by the term "edgy jocks."
[close]

YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER TO SUPPORT THIS RIDICULOUS CLAIM
[close]

That's true of course. How would I? There is no evidence, because there hasn't been any outing in skateboarding so far. However, I think that homophobia is more prevalent in skateboarding than in other subcultures.

Which brings me to your other comment. There is such a thing as subcultures, some of which have been aptly described by social sciences. Don't try to act like this notion doesn't exist. The subculture of skateboarding is defined through videos, magazines, local scenes, etc... hell, even through internet forums. The interactions among skateboarders lead to certain values and attitudes (e.g., hostility towards other groups, clothing, etc.). It's not too far off to state that compared to other subcultures (such as punkrock or the ultra movement) homophobia is not much of a taboo in skateboarding. Calling out people as "fags" is common among locals and pros alike. Tim von Werne's career was cut short, because he came out of the closet. There is NOT A SINGLE openly gay pro skateboarder. These are facts. On the other hand, there are openly gay major politicians and other public figures. You wanna go on and pretend like the skateboarding world isn't any different from other subcultures or the mainstream in respect to homosexuality?

that is common?

well i guess 'skateboarding culture' for you is homophobic, not my 'skateboarding culture' though hehe

Fukd

• Rep: -45
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 11:56:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone remember when Nike 6.0 did those 'Jocks Suck' tshirts?
[close]
no but i remember a max schaaf board bearing that legend

0:18

YeRpSTAinZ

• Rep: 2
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »
article was too wordy

didnt get through first paragraph

kevinskoners

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 01:45:38 AM »
what is this shit, skateboarding is running out of i don't give a fuck? a bunch of wussies are becoming a bit too concerned that some grown dudes aren't too comfortable saying that they like sucking dicks. well i don't give a fuck about that, keep it your self, i don't need to know that. skateboarding was never about expressing your sexuality. go damage some property.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 06:42:10 AM »
Brandon Biebel and Mike Mo

Nick Dompierre & Jason Ellis

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »
Has anyone been on Instagram lately?  Every skater comments on each others shit with  :-*

Pretty gay if you ask me, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all.  If you blow a kiss at another guy, that's pretty gay.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3343
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
Has anyone been on Instagram lately?  Every skater comments on each others shit with  :-*

Pretty gay if you ask me, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all.  If you blow a kiss at another guy, that's pretty gay.

Backing this.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
homophobia is starting to decrease in culture in general. it'll eventually do the same in skateboarding too.

Brandon Biebel and Mike Mo

they're bro-ish but not jock assholes. jock assholes would be the unchill shits who thought abusing homeless people would be fun and act like they're hot shit because they get free gear from supreme.

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Backing this.

thang up.

**couldn't resist**

K

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

new_york_shitty

• Rep: -18
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
A lot of folks are politically incorrect- there is a douchebag spectrum that is quite vast and not mutually exclusive to sports enthusiasts.
This article blew goats.

WWE IS REAL DAMMIT

• Rep: -33
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I don't like that intro at all. That dude was just being nice

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
The way the term "Faggot" is bandied around in the skate world is disgraceful. Also this article stank.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »
ive hated torey ever since he made some homophobic remark on a text yourself on the berrics when those first started. theres no place for that shit in skateboarding anymore

gayest thing I've read all day

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:15 AM »
Misogyny's a bitch.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 02:32:01 AM »
article was too wordy

didnt get through first paragraph

Seeing as you have no idea about punctuation, I can't say I'm suprised.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I don't like that intro at all. That dude was just being nice

Completely agree. That was all kinds of stupid to flash the 'jocks suck' graphic. The kid just seemed genuinely stoked on what he just saw.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Jenkem is the worst. Nothing but cringeworthy pseudo-intellectual bullshit. A skateboard is a toy, quit writing about it as if it were anything more than that.

seriously dude

• Rep: 19
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »
More kids skate than play little league baseball. There are skateparks in every town everywhere. Being a skateboarder is no longer akin "to telling everyone around you that you have no interest in being an all-American boy." Get over it. We're not outcasts, rebels or punkers anymore. We won. It's more punk to be a misogynistic, racist jock than a vegan, tattooed skateboarder. The tea party is the real counter culture. Those dudes do not give a fuck.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »
racism is for faggots

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
More kids skate than play little league baseball. There are skateparks in every town everywhere. Being a skateboarder is no longer akin "to telling everyone around you that you have no interest in being an all-American boy." Get over it. We're not outcasts, rebels or punkers anymore. We won. It's more punk to be a misogynistic, racist jock than a vegan, tattooed skateboarder. The tea party is the real counter culture. Those dudes do not give a fuck.
Agreed.

dlrmtrggr

• Rep: -4
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »

I couldn't have said that any better. As far as homophobia, I don't see it on a local level. But there is going to be homophobia as long as there are people in the world telling people it's wrong. I, for one, am part of the LGBT community, and I run into homophobia daily. But to pin that as an aspect of skate culture is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing any of it. But it's not a skate culture problem, it's a world culture problem. I get less of it from skaters I know, than I do from the "jocks". You remember the big deal about that openly gay football player earlier in the year? Yeah, coming out with that many eyes on you, of course a percentage of those people are bound to be homophobic.