Author Topic: Jenkem: ARE SKATEBOARDERS THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN JOCKS?  (Read 5099 times)

tkp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Jenkem: ARE SKATEBOARDERS THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN JOCKS?
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
"We're desperate to keep the narrative of this thing in the right hands and as a result turn a blind eye to immature, sexist and homophobic behavior from the skaters we are inextricably tied to and identify with."

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/10/02/are-skateboarders-that-much-different-than-jocks/

ginger lightning

• Rep: -8
Re: Jenkem: ARE SKATEBOARDERS THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN JOCKS?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
"I want to see skateboarders act like they actually care about being so different from everything else. Because otherwise, we might as well play fucking football." Spot on.

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
ive hated torey ever since he made some homophobic remark on a text yourself on the berrics when those first started. theres no place for that shit in skateboarding anymore

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
It's just skateboarding...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
Nyjah Huston is an easy target, everything covered in this article has already been covered to death, how about mentioning those shitty Illegal Civilization kids too?

Santa Monica Aviator

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »
Jenkem needs to make up its mind.
Crying about sexism in between multiple articles about Playboy playmates, ramp tramps and milf-hunting?
Almost as bad as bemoaning corporate involvement in skateboarding on a page full of Converse and Levi's ads.
Stick to interviews about how bad Nike is... unless they're interviewing P-Rod then its all good.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
In this day and age, both demographics are pretty fucking close. Skateboarder's are just delusional in thinking they are different, jocks accept and thrive on the opposite.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
dumb article

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
That article lacked focus and didn't really go anywhere at all. Why can't we just skate and forget labels to begin with; isn't that why we skated originally?

m477

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
Jenkem needs to make up its mind.
Crying about sexism in between multiple articles about Playboy playmates, ramp tramps and milf-hunting?
Almost as bad as bemoaning corporate involvement in skateboarding on a page full of Converse and Levi's ads.
Stick to interviews about how bad Nike is... unless they're interviewing P-Rod then its all good.
Hahahaha good point. Jenkem rules but I thought the article was pointless. This basically comes down to the fact that teenagers can be rude and politically incorrect. In other news, water is wet.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
No, skateboarders are fucking jocks.  That's why I don't skate anymore.  I just sit at home, play PS2, and masturbate to girls in my school yearbook.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
I think they saw the Jake Johnson interview and felt the need to expand on it x50000

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »
I was disappointed that the article didn't touch on homophobia at all despite the term being included in the introduction. While racism and sexism are definitely more common in skateboarding than they should be, homophobia is on a whole other level: it is the norm. Pro skaters aren't able to come out of the closet, because that would negatively affect their boardsales. Meanwhile, even the (conservative) mainstream of society is more open to homosexuality.

Is skateboarding a progressive subculture or an outlet for immature teenagers acting all "edgy" and "politically incorrect"? Fuck, clearly the latter and it has made up its mind long ago, too. There's a few exceptions (e.g., Templeton and Stranger making political statements), but the vast majority of the skateboard community is described best by the term "edgy jocks."

nice_guy_2

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
I was disappointed that the article didn't touch on homophobia at all despite the term being included in the introduction. While racism and sexism are definitely more common in skateboarding than they should be, homophobia is on a whole other level: it is the norm. Pro skaters aren't able to come out of the closet, because that would negatively affect their boardsales. Meanwhile, even the (conservative) mainstream of society is more open to homosexuality.

Is skateboarding a progressive subculture or an outlet for immature teenagers acting all "edgy" and "politically incorrect"? Fuck, clearly the latter and it has made up its mind long ago, too. There's a few exceptions (e.g., Templeton and Stranger making political statements), but the vast majority of the skateboard community is described best by the term "edgy jocks."

YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER TO SUPPORT THIS RIDICULOUS CLAIM

lamefetus

• Rep: 1
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
Even if this article didn't say anything especially new or groundbreaking in terms of misogyny in skating, logging into slap today and finding this paired with okatu!'s thread about homophobic slurs on here got me pretty psyched. It's at least a step or two forward in recognizing that as awesome as a culture skateboarding is we still have some hurdles to get over before we're as open minded as we like to think. As much as some like to say that kids in every generation will be ignorant it's important to realize that the majority of 15 year old skate kids aren't considering these issues and that when widely viewed skateboard media websites publish articles like this one they at least get some of these kids thinking.

abudabi

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
im not about to read this article, but why do they say skateboarders are racist?

nice_guy_2

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
skateboarding only distinguishes a group of people in an physical way

shared psychlogical understandings concerning issues such as homophobia are outside of skateboarding.

'skateboarders being different from jocks' is an illogical idea, it's simply doesn't make sense! ? 

shark tits

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
if you skate and you're over 30 and from the east coast you know what's up. if you don't meet that criteria you're prolly a jock. i think there's room for open minded viewpoints alongside the fascism of PC and the shtoops of racism/fag bashing [in print not literal]. like everyone can be the bell of the ball but you also gotta get roasted by lisa lampanelli. if you can't handle that then your opinion is moot.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
No, skateboarders are fucking jocks.  That's why I don't skate anymore.  I just sit at home, play PS2, and masturbate to girls in my school yearbook.

Just curious...do you beat off to the jock girls or the goth girls?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »
Jocks always do some borderline gay shit in the locker room after games, never seen that after a skate session.

Jocks is the corniest word ever, I thought people stoped using that 10 years ago. Imagine a skater that plays another sport too? Jenkem just can't handle that shit

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
Tons of skaters are like jocks now because they think to be different they should actually be the same, which is holding back so much of the progression
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

zippy z

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »
39, Florida, skateboarder.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just curious...do you beat off to the jock girls or the goth girls?
The kinky band chicks, dude.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
I thought this would be more about the competitive/training/production aspect of the jock side of skateboarding which seems to be at, maybe not an all time high, but pretty far up there.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
yea, cuz skaters are a single person  ::), the jock thing is more of a culture that people ascribe too, skating is a physical activity, I dont even get this

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
I thought that I had freakishly small nipples.....now I know I'm not alone.....

pinch a loaf

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
Does anyone remember when Nike 6.0 did those 'Jocks Suck' tshirts?

shark tits

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 06:12:10 PM »
Does anyone remember when Nike 6.0 did those 'Jocks Suck' tshirts?
no but i remember a max schaaf board bearing that legend

arobert42

• Rep: -5
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
Brandon Biebel and Mike Mo