Author Topic: BATB12  (Read 309959 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: BATB12
« Reply #3030 on: April 25, 2022, 09:14:51 AM »
I can't recall a match where both skaters were so awful at skating switch as these two.

Berra's really trying to fill those brackets. Nothing notable about either one of them.
Real talk, though: who even are these guys?
Are they IG guys, or just a couple of Berrics park locals with elevated thetan levels?
I am seriously not getting it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

butterballs for jerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -56
« Reply #3031 on: April 25, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't recall a match where both skaters were so awful at skating switch as these two.

Berra's really trying to fill those brackets. Nothing notable about either one of them.
[close]
Real talk, though: who even are these guys?
Are they IG guys, or just a couple of Berrics park locals with elevated thetan levels?
I am seriously not getting it.

They are warm bodies. Berra just needs content for caffeine, doesn't matter if the games are shit, people have already downloaded the app and clicked on the video by the time they figure out they've been duped
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3032 on: April 25, 2022, 05:33:47 PM »
Seen that Ray kid skating on Dan Corrigan's channel with the Powell team all the time (yes I watch his channel, sad I know). He's noticeably nowhere near as good as the rest of the team but seems to be on flow, he's always had Nike's on before so I assume he was buying them and just got given the Thetan shoes for this matchup.

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 15
  • VX1000
« Reply #3033 on: April 25, 2022, 05:54:39 PM »
One dude kept doing this thing with his hands after every remotely sketchy landing as if to signal like 'hey I didn't touch the ground, right?' Didn't love that.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #3034 on: April 25, 2022, 06:36:06 PM »
there are several pros in this who are injured right now. I hope they get better soon  :-\ but I bet we'll see more subs in the next two weeks.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 111
« Reply #3035 on: April 26, 2022, 02:51:23 AM »
there are several pros in this who are injured right now. I hope they get better soon  :-\ but I bet we'll see more subs in the next two weeks.

If Berra called me up I'd get injured ASAP.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 739
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3036 on: April 26, 2022, 05:05:20 AM »
Yet again, a classic case of Berra somehow fucking up incomprehensibly more than if he had done nothing at all. And yet, I can’t look away.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #3037 on: April 26, 2022, 06:10:29 AM »
If you squint at that last game those two kids look more alike than the time Heath literally played himself.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #3038 on: April 26, 2022, 08:17:37 AM »
If you squint at that last game those two kids look more alike than the time Heath literally played himself.

That fucking Sawcon tweet in your sig cracks me up every damn time  ;D ;D ;D

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #3039 on: April 26, 2022, 08:18:27 AM »
it's my proudest moment :')

ilchymis

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3040 on: April 26, 2022, 11:52:09 AM »
When you know slap is gonna question the indentity of your "skaters" so you get two hired moms to read the rules.

Beautiful work!

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3041 on: April 26, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »
When you know slap is gonna question the indentity of your "skaters" so you get two hired moms to read the rules.

Beautiful work!
I get a kick outta how the two moms seemed to think this spot on BATB12 was some kind of “big break” for their respective kids, rather than the expressway to skate purgatory.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3042 on: April 26, 2022, 12:20:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Beautiful work!
[close]
I get a kick outta how the two moms seemed to think this spot on BATB12 was some kind of “big break” for their respective kids, rather than the expressway to skate purgatory.

But it does have the potential to be a huge break. Cody Cepeda got his break through the contest. It's put a bunch of other dudes on the map. If you did something that had potential to get viewed literally hundreds of thousands of times you wouldn't consider that a break? If my son was in this contest I'd be proud of him too.

Skate purgatory? What are you even saying dude...

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 602
« Reply #3043 on: April 26, 2022, 12:34:26 PM »
I’ll bite, who did battle at the berries put on the map?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #3044 on: April 26, 2022, 12:35:50 PM »
a bunch of dudes who’ve spent the last decade or so in skate purgatory

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #3045 on: April 26, 2022, 01:29:38 PM »
 :-*
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Beautiful work!
[close]
[close]

But it does have the potential to be a huge break. Cody Cepeda got his break through the contest. It's put a bunch of other dudes on the map. If you did something that had potential to get viewed literally hundreds of thousands of times you wouldn't consider that a break? If my son was in this contest I'd be proud of him too.

Cody Cepeda is your example? Really?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3046 on: April 26, 2022, 02:13:13 PM »
:-*
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Beautiful work!
[close]
[close]

[close]

Cody Cepeda is your example? Really?

As far as someone who was pretty much unknown and then broke into the industry on some level, yes. He's a perfect example of that.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 602
« Reply #3047 on: April 26, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »
I think referring to bryte and cariuma sponsorships as breaking into the industry, even with the qualifier “at some level,” is a stretch.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #3048 on: April 26, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »
I think also Diego Najera. I hadn’t heard of him before batb and he seemed to ride a wave after that, got his name on an adidas shoe, then couldn’t maintain the momentum idk
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #3049 on: April 26, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »

Didn't Benny Fairfax win the first batb? He was on stereo and won against PJ Ladd

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3050 on: April 26, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Didn't Benny Fairfax win the first batb? He was on stereo and won against PJ Ladd

Mike Mo won it but Benny was in the finals.

@janus I wasn't necessarily referring to their sponsors but the platform of the berrics does have potential to break people into the industry or at the very least bring exposure to someone 

Corey Kennedy broke out because of the Bang Yo Self 2 contest. I'm sure he had sponsors at the time but he was nowhere close to being a household name or as well known as he was after that contest.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #3051 on: April 26, 2022, 09:46:42 PM »
Corey Kennedy was well on a path to having a career without the Berrics - hence how he never relied on it after getting on Girl to do anything - and he would have had a career without the Berrics. He didn't even make it that far after that game with Ramondetta that everyone talked about. Benny Fairfax started his career before the Berrics and maybe BATB1 turned him pro, but that was a super different time in skating where Berra and his little pet projects weren't (rightfully) cordoned off into their own space driven by an egomaniac. Corey was in a similar position - he was already getting stuff before he entered that contest and his name winning that contest just sped up a trajectory he was already on and then never relied on to maintain.

Your definition of "a huge break" is insane by any understanding of the skate industry. It's bound to, essentially, "having more footage in Berrics stuff," which is the only metric by which Cody Cepeda entered the skate industry. His only board sponsor was through the Berrics and his only major part in an article was in The Skateboard Mag after Ththee Berrics bought them advertising a part he filmed for a Berrics project.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3052 on: April 26, 2022, 09:55:28 PM »
Corey Kennedy was well on a path to having a career without the Berrics - hence how he never relied on it after getting on Girl to do anything - and he would have had a career without the Berrics. He didn't even make it that far after that game with Ramondetta that everyone talked about. Benny Fairfax started his career before the Berrics and maybe BATB1 turned him pro, but that was a super different time in skating where Berra and his little pet projects weren't (rightfully) cordoned off into their own space driven by an egomaniac. Corey was in a similar position - he was already getting stuff before he entered that contest and his name winning that contest just sped up a trajectory he was already on and then never relied on to maintain.

Your definition of "a huge break" is insane by any understanding of the skate industry. It's bound to, essentially, "having more footage in Berrics stuff," which is the only metric by which Cody Cepeda entered the skate industry. His only board sponsor was through the Berrics and his only major part in an article was in The Skateboard Mag after Ththee Berrics bought them advertising a part he filmed for a Berrics project.
Fax!

bssmithslide

• Rep: -41
« Reply #3053 on: April 27, 2022, 12:43:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Beautiful work!
[close]
[close]

What decade are you in holy fuck

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3054 on: April 27, 2022, 05:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Beautiful work!
[close]
[close]

[close]

What decade are you in holy fuck

2014 Batb 7 Pros vs Joe's just ended and he's been listening to Gangnam style all week
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3055 on: April 27, 2022, 05:14:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Beautiful work!
[close]
[close]

he went nowhere after his win
he was only good at doing bad manners / ugly tricks. might be a good reason to end up on Cariuma and maybe Bryte

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #3056 on: April 27, 2022, 05:14:15 AM »
Never forget The Berrics tried to put Josiah Gatlyn on the map. Fortunately for us all that was a map of nowheresville.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #3057 on: April 27, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »

This is better than any game they've had all year minus the dumb color commentating

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3058 on: April 27, 2022, 08:54:45 AM »
Never forget The Berrics tried to put Josiah Gatlyn on the map. Fortunately for us all that was a map of nowheresville.

Josiah Gatlyn was sick you’re buggin

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #3059 on: April 27, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »
Benny Fairfax was already an established skater in the industry before the first BATB. He was in Way Out East, Static II, etc.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud