Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720261 times)

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5280 on: July 27, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before… I’ve been skating old F4s for a while now and recently got some new Conical Fulls… I don’t remember them being this white not too long ago? Is this something they changed recently or did I just forget how long it took for my old sets to look like this? I’ve always liked the more “natural” colour to my wheels and I can’t stop thinking about it now. This particular set almost seem a little stickier too in comparison (they’re 99s but have a few pairs of 97s and barely notice a difference.

Did I miss something? Did the formula change?

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5281 on: July 27, 2023, 10:13:37 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before… I’ve been skating old F4s for a while now and recently got some new Conical Fulls… I don’t remember them being this white not too long ago? Is this something they changed recently or did I just forget how long it took for my old sets to look like this? I’ve always liked the more “natural” colour to my wheels and I can’t stop thinking about it now. This particular set almost seem a little stickier too in comparison (they’re 99s but have a few pairs of 97s and barely notice a difference.

sounds like you might've psyched yourself out. 99.9% sureformula is the same, just color is different on the more recent batches & haven't noticed a difference in performance personally

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5282 on: July 27, 2023, 11:14:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sounds like you might've psyched yourself out. 99.9% sureformula is the same, just color is different on the more recent batches & haven't noticed a difference in performance personally

Don’t get me wrong, they perform absolutely fine and I wouldn’t ever skate another wheel - just some observations. Like I said it’s been a while since I’ve had brand new ones so I wasn’t sure if it was just that.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5283 on: July 27, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Don’t get me wrong, they perform absolutely fine and I wouldn’t ever skate another wheel - just some observations. Like I said it’s been a while since I’ve had brand new ones so I wasn’t sure if it was just that.
Probably you got used to the yellow after all that time
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5284 on: July 27, 2023, 11:24:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think you are right in that the newer ones are not as "natural" as older ones, which will also yellow with age, so it is a two fold thing there.

New wheels always feel a bit more slick from the first session when compared to older more worn in wheels as well, not a huge difference, but I can feel it on a set of new ones I put on a board recently, compared to way too many older ones on older setups I have around, that I am more used to skating every other day.

As to the formula, that is still the same, but as per new wheels vs old wheels, as said above, some can feel quite different to others, but I always feel like I am home on the Formula Four 99s - just the right amount of grip, slide and everything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5285 on: July 27, 2023, 11:26:38 PM »

Kitty approved.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #5286 on: July 28, 2023, 10:25:38 AM »
i normally skate 54mm classics.  i just ordered 54mm radial FULLS, but i didnt realize they were the fulls i thought just standard radial.  are these things going to be noticeably larger than a 54mm classic?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5287 on: July 28, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »
i normally skate 54mm classics.  i just ordered 54mm radial FULLS, but i didnt realize they were the fulls i thought just standard radial.  are these things going to be noticeably larger than a 54mm classic?
Classics are 33.5mm wide with a 16.5mm riding surface
Radial Fulls are 38/25
for a frame of ref Conical Fulls are 34/22
They're gon be big'ns
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5288 on: July 28, 2023, 10:31:23 AM »

You're going from Spitfires narrowest regular production wheel to their widest. They're going to be way different. Radial fulls are rrrrreally big.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #5289 on: July 28, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »
sheeesh ok thanks boys.  i'm riding a 9" eagle which is a step up for me, so maybe these will be fitting

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #5290 on: July 28, 2023, 12:16:13 PM »

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5291 on: August 04, 2023, 01:53:56 AM »
Flatspotted my second pair in a row of 52mm 99 duro classic f4s. I’ll get another pair though. It will take three strikes to have me looking at other options.
exactly same here, man. I love the formula, though. been thinking about different shape than classic-maybe flatspots are due to narrow contact patch. my friends with conicals doesn t have this issue..
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5292 on: August 04, 2023, 04:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're going from Spitfires narrowest regular production wheel to their widest. They're going to be way different. Radial fulls are rrrrreally big.

I had the opportunity to get some Radial Full wheels, first in 58 mm size, which were awesome but stupidly big and wide, which found a new home even before I had a roll on them really, but the next set I got was the 54 mm version and they are way more normal for me, given I used to ride a lot of the bigger wider round shaped wheels, which when worn down were about this shape, which I had a session on today.

They are still a bit more wheel than I would usually ride now, but I can definitely see how they would be good for a number of people who want the bigger and wider wheel feel but in a more normal diameter.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5293 on: August 04, 2023, 09:45:25 AM »
Taking the plunge and got myself a set of 55mm Classics F4, biggest I've ever ridden were 54mm, been on 52 - 53mm mostly. I'm hoping the narrow profile will compensate to make the wheel feel less clunky.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #5294 on: August 05, 2023, 12:12:10 AM »
Taking the plunge and got myself a set of 55mm Classics F4, biggest I've ever ridden were 54mm, been on 52 - 53mm mostly. I'm hoping the narrow profile will compensate to make the wheel feel less clunky.

You'll love 'em. I've gone up to 56mm on F4 Classics and they don't feel at all clunky.

switchfakie

« Reply #5295 on: August 07, 2023, 11:27:59 PM »
can somebody confirm to me that the classic 99 formula slides better than f4 101s? tried an old pair of mines today and was slipping everywhere. powerslides were effortless to the point of doing them by accident (i skate f4 101s 99% of the time)

also can you confirm that f4 99s slide better than f4 101s?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5296 on: August 08, 2023, 04:35:08 AM »

Loved 55 classics. Especially when they wear down some

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5297 on: August 08, 2023, 08:08:09 AM »
can somebody confirm to me that the classic 99 formula slides better than f4 101s? tried an old pair of mines today and was slipping everywhere. powerslides were effortless to the point of doing them by accident (i skate f4 101s 99% of the time)

I remember the classic formulas feeling harder by comparison to f4 in general even when the duros are the same so you may be on to something. You'd have to wear away the ridges first on a new classic formula wheel tho.

switchfakie

« Reply #5298 on: August 08, 2023, 08:21:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I remember the classic formulas feeling harder by comparison to f4 in general even when the duros are the same so you may be on to something. You'd have to wear away the ridges first on a new classic formula wheel tho.

Thank you dude, I thought I was going nuts. I think imma jump ship back to the classic formula, I’m really enjoying slipping and sliding around. Gonna see how my blunt slides change with them. Maybe I won’t have to wax as much or at all

SupremePizza

• Rep: 50
« Reply #5299 on: August 08, 2023, 08:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Loved 55 classics. Especially when they wear down some

56mm classics worn down feels so good and keeps getting better

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5300 on: August 08, 2023, 08:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thank you dude, I thought I was going nuts. I think imma jump ship back to the classic formula, I’m really enjoying slipping and sliding around. Gonna see how my blunt slides change with them. Maybe I won’t have to wax as much or at all
They also flatspot way faster too but good luck. I do wonder if they've improved at all. They still release them regularly so they must be loved by some people.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5301 on: August 08, 2023, 06:50:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
They also flatspot way faster too but good luck. I do wonder if they've improved at all. They still release them regularly so they must be loved by some people.

The original or classic formula were great once they had aged some, whereas the brand new fresh ones felt softer, flatspotted way more easily and seemed to wear down way faster as well, from the team riders and others who always got new sets each month.  I ended up with a lot of mix and match wheels from those guys back in the old days, some flatspotted, others worn down to 50 mm on one wheel and still 54 or 56 mm on others in the same sets.

On my travels round AU, I would often buy the old yellowed looking ones that were either old stock or on clearance that others didn't like the look of but they skated way better than the newer bright white looking ones, from my own experience.

That seems similar to your experience too, older classic formula being really good wheels, so just a word of caution with getting a brand new set and thinking they will perform the same, although there are still lots of people who swear by the classic formula and prefer the colour and the performance to Formula Four or any other wheel on the market.

Any which way, I feel like Formula Four perform the same from day one til they are done in the 99 duro - they just skate so well on (almost) everything for me, whereas the 101s were a little here and there, some being super slippery, others being very grippy and just had different properties between what would have been two of the same formula wheels.

That's why I go more with the Formula Four 99 duro, but everyone has their preferences.

switchfakie

« Reply #5302 on: August 08, 2023, 08:51:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

The original or classic formula were great once they had aged some, whereas the brand new fresh ones felt softer, flatspotted way more easily and seemed to wear down way faster as well, from the team riders and others who always got new sets each month.  I ended up with a lot of mix and match wheels from those guys back in the old days, some flatspotted, others worn down to 50 mm on one wheel and still 54 or 56 mm on others in the same sets.

On my travels round AU, I would often buy the old yellowed looking ones that were either old stock or on clearance that others didn't like the look of but they skated way better than the newer bright white looking ones, from my own experience.

That seems similar to your experience too, older classic formula being really good wheels, so just a word of caution with getting a brand new set and thinking they will perform the same, although there are still lots of people who swear by the classic formula and prefer the colour and the performance to Formula Four or any other wheel on the market.

Any which way, I feel like Formula Four perform the same from day one til they are done in the 99 duro - they just skate so well on (almost) everything for me, whereas the 101s were a little here and there, some being super slippery, others being very grippy and just had different properties between what would have been two of the same formula wheels.

That's why I go more with the Formula Four 99 duro, but everyone has their preferences.

i swear every time i interact with you randomly on slap, i learn some new & extremely useful shit

im gonna go ahead and buy a pair and put them on my windowsill for a year or two as an experiment (the ones i skated were 3 years old)

thank you for this my g, i appreciate you a lot

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #5303 on: August 13, 2023, 09:48:02 AM »
I've been on two sets of newer batches of F4 lately, 54mm radials then just got some 58mm classics, both 99a. They feel grippier than I remember, I swear other sets I've bought in recent years in the same duro were still like ice with a lot of slipouts. I must say, these 58mm classic shapes are bad ass, I plan on skating them all the way til indoor park season.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5304 on: August 13, 2023, 12:55:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They were for sure harder, they chirped sooo loud; F1s were my fav wheel back then.

Does anyone skate that .sml wheel that's supposed to be like old spits? What about those Acid wheels. I miss that hard slidey wheel sometimes (flatspots be damned).

I find most hard wheels these days so grippy...even the 101s, Elites, spits, snots, STFs are soft feeling, even 103s...Ricta 101s are probably the hardest/least grippy feeling wheel I've tried (they just wear down super fast).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 01:29:24 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5305 on: August 13, 2023, 03:08:10 PM »
I have had some friends skate the Acid formulas and they've all ended up back on F4. Not sure they necessarily wanted harder wheels but tried the 101 and found them really good, but not great in any respect and really loud. I guess if you want the loudness then they're the pick otherwise even local shops can't move them and they're "from here"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5306 on: August 13, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Does anyone skate that .sml wheel that's supposed to be like old spits? What about those Acid wheels. I miss that hard slidey wheel sometimes (flatspots be damned).

I've ridden the AG (Austyn Gillette, 99a) formula and the OG (101a). AG feel closer to Classic formula, great all purpose wheel for street.

Currently on the OG 52mm formula and they are really hard and street needs a couple more pushes, better as a park wheel. Really slick on the right ledge and managed to get some healthy slides at my usual spot. Rode mine for 3 weeks and I still got threads on them, if that means anything.

I'd stick to the AG formula if you're dealing with some crust, OG if you're skating smooth parks.

Rode Acid wheels that I got on discount, painfully hard and I gave up on them after 2 sessions.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5307 on: August 13, 2023, 10:00:39 PM »
I've been on two sets of newer batches of F4 lately, 54mm radials then just got some 58mm classics, both 99a. They feel grippier than I remember, I swear other sets I've bought in recent years in the same duro were still like ice with a lot of slipouts. I must say, these 58mm classic shapes are bad ass, I plan on skating them all the way til indoor park season.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg4028135#msg4028135

I did a comparison a little while back. I definitely thought they were grippier than the more natural colored ones. The nicest thing is that a few months later the bearings haven’t back out once

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #5308 on: August 14, 2023, 08:21:49 PM »
I spent the last 4 months on some Conical full 53mm 101a. I swear the 101s are underrated. Granted I've been using them at a smooth asphalt perfectly painted red paint curb spot but they were super nice. I know the trend is toward slightly softer wheels but don't sleep on the 101s, they seem especially fast and durable in a wider profile.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #5309 on: August 15, 2023, 10:49:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I've ridden the AG (Austyn Gillette, 99a) formula and the OG (101a). AG feel closer to Classic formula, great all purpose wheel for street.

Currently on the OG 52mm formula and they are really hard and street needs a couple more pushes, better as a park wheel. Really slick on the right ledge and managed to get some healthy slides at my usual spot. Rode mine for 3 weeks and I still got threads on them, if that means anything.

I'd stick to the AG formula if you're dealing with some crust, OG if you're skating smooth parks.

Rode Acid wheels that I got on discount, painfully hard and I gave up on them after 2 sessions.

I’m on the AG formula right now and I absolutely love them for park and street. Really versatile, I feel like they are longer lasting than f4s too