Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720270 times)

curb_cut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5700 on: February 28, 2024, 09:53:24 PM »
anyone notice black (i'd assume same for any other color too) F4s to be a tad softer and grippier than the natural colored ones?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5701 on: February 28, 2024, 11:23:09 PM »
anyone notice black (i'd assume same for any other color too) F4s to be a tad softer and grippier than the natural colored ones?
Actually I felt the exact opposite.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #5702 on: February 29, 2024, 07:37:45 AM »
My old man knee's are waiting for them 95a F4's!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5703 on: February 29, 2024, 07:37:30 PM »

Yes; after a while my 99a blk conicals ended up feeling really dead compared to regular spit 99s.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5704 on: February 29, 2024, 10:07:39 PM »
I feel I seen the other shapes hold up their color but the classics always seem nasty ass yellow. Would like a bigger size maybe stay more white like a 54mm? Cuz I know the harder duro is supposed to stay whiter tho

idk. i just took a look. my 101s are by far the brownest. the 99s are all over the place. i just noticed i rode all but the most recent retiree to almost exactly the same size. when i can touch thumb and middle finger around the wheel its a wrap. looks to be about 50-48mm. i fricking burn about 5-8mm a year it looks like.

i found out that when you put away the 97a wheel after riding them a bit they slide better the second time around. i say this because i watched a lot of wheel reviews before buying and they was always shocked about the slide on the second opinion test. " i dont remember them sliding that nice.... theyre sliding better than the 99a example?!?!?"

i had to take the chance. and im very stoked. im going to the park tomorrow. its going to be near 60 and its the first of the month. DAMN i made too many purchases this past month. I got 5 shows coming up and the records dropping as soon as we find distro. ITS ALL HAPPENING IN 24!!!

i am curious to see what spit comes up with in 93a. the dragons had issues on moist ground. if they can avoid that and they slide a bit then im in for sure. i love soft so long as they can be controlled. i dont even slide that much now i think of it. only when evasive action is needed. im usually thinkimg damn i need should have done that faster. one more try.

i took the 97a down the Gallows Hill paved paths. I did the 50%er right next to the park from the Witches' Crack with the loose trucks conversion it was pretty sweet. then i did the lil boomerang curve right next to it. i got a little whobble. mmmm. got the feeling you get sometimes when you hit the bottom right. mmmm. like you might loop out and the imaginary white water is about to catch up with you. best shit on earth
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #5705 on: February 29, 2024, 11:31:53 PM »
Am I the only one who actually really likes the way Spits turn potato yellow? I don't have a problem with ultra-white wheels but I prefer them gnarly yellowed. All things must pass and age should be proudly shown.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5706 on: February 29, 2024, 11:42:35 PM »
Am I the only one who actually really likes the way Spits turn potato yellow? I don't have a problem with ultra-white wheels but I prefer them gnarly yellowed. All things must pass and age should be proudly shown.
I'm on the same boat as you.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5707 on: March 01, 2024, 12:14:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same, bright white wheels look like toy store shit or something

Jogging José

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5708 on: March 01, 2024, 08:17:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Same, bright white wheels look like toy store shit or something

Same, I hate bright white wheels with a passion. I guess it comes from my disdain for bright white pickguards on electric guitars. Potato Spits remind me of my well worn vintage guitars…

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5709 on: March 01, 2024, 03:48:43 PM »
I've tested a few sets of the 93a f4, very similar feel to the dragon wheels.
So far ive had conical full 54/56 and radial 56. I like them a lot, great for the streets.
They're calling them Soft Sliders, no idea when they might release.

Can he read

« Reply #5710 on: March 01, 2024, 03:50:07 PM »
So far ive had conical full 54/56 and radial 56. I like them a lot, great for the streets.

Hopefully they haven’t settled on that name 😬

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5711 on: March 01, 2024, 04:01:49 PM »
I recommended crust burners but no response. 

Can he read

« Reply #5712 on: March 01, 2024, 04:26:21 PM »

Ah see that’s a good one! Soft sliders might be good for marketing as it literally describes the product to someone who may not otherwise know what they’re looking for but it’s pretty terrible for anyone who has to ask their local shop if they’re in stock

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5713 on: March 01, 2024, 06:04:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just think staph infection. Especially in the summer. Put in like 4+ hrs in 90⁰ all Skating around thinking don't touch my face! Don't scratch the skin! Can't stop wont stop.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5714 on: March 01, 2024, 06:18:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hopefully they haven’t settled on that name 😬

They should call um Slayers.
Have neckface do some twisted ass black metal graphic of decapitated skate one mascots. Or maybe just the berserker who saved us from the gold g rated hydrant hopping salamander.

Salamander Slayers.

We could draw up a cartoon ad that has someone putting one on a technique 1200 and playing the 93a slayer backwards. "666... 666....666

Maybe put the swirl on but Super impose grooves on it like and album?

Idk
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5715 on: March 01, 2024, 11:07:50 PM »

Crust Burners and I think of amateur pizza chefs

Anyone feel like the hype around Dragons and X-Formula 97a / 99a has died down and everyone is just going back to F4? Only the older gear nerds bother with Powell / Bones stuff, all the younger guys have stuck with F4s. New stuff is always going to move the sales chart but I wonder if Spitfire investing all this money for R&D is worth it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #5716 on: March 02, 2024, 01:13:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone feel like the hype around Dragons and X-Formula 97a / 99a has died down and everyone is just going back to F4? Only the older gear nerds bother with Powell / Bones stuff, all the younger guys have stuck with F4s. New stuff is always going to move the sales chart but I wonder if Spitfire investing all this money for R&D is worth it.

Yeah, I don't know, I feel like the younger guys aren't really even that much aware of especially the X-Formulas. They seem to cater more for the middle age market. All hypes naturally die down at some point and for sure some peeps will go back to F4s, but there is certainly a segment (myself included) who will keep the X-Formulas/Dragons as a permament part of their wheel quiver. Not necessarily as something to replace F4, but as a welcome addition to cater for various purposes.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5717 on: March 02, 2024, 07:02:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I don't know, I feel like the younger guys aren't really even that much aware of especially the X-Formulas. They seem to cater more for the middle age market. All hypes naturally die down at some point and for sure some peeps will go back to F4s, but there is certainly a segment (myself included) who will keep the X-Formulas/Dragons as a permament part of their wheel quiver. Not necessarily as something to replace F4, but as a welcome addition to cater for various purposes.
I have heard the entire Late Nite Stars guys have all switched to dragons. Makes sense for the streets of NY and I think they also like it for the bonus irony points of being on trend guys riding dragons.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5718 on: March 02, 2024, 07:21:51 AM »
At my shop it’s split probably 60% hard wheels and 40% softer wheels, meaning f4 97/oj nomad 95/dragons 93/ x formula 97.
A lot of people are curious, pretty rough ground in Washington and to access some of the spots it’s a necessity to ride something softer than 99.
A lot of people love dragon wheels here, it’s crazy how fast they are too if you’ve never tried them. But the downsides are obvious if you skate parks/transition or metal edged ledges/curbs.
The f4 93 I tested weren’t as grabby on the metal as the dragons though, I like them a lot. Just not enough to only want to skate them.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5719 on: March 02, 2024, 07:55:32 AM »
At my shop it’s split probably 60% hard wheels and 40% softer wheels, meaning f4 97/oj nomad 95/dragons 93/ x formula 97.
A lot of people are curious, pretty rough ground in Washington and to access some of the spots it’s a necessity to ride something softer than 99.
A lot of people love dragon wheels here, it’s crazy how fast they are too if you’ve never tried them. But the downsides are obvious if you skate parks/transition or metal edged ledges/curbs.
The f4 93 I tested weren’t as grabby on the metal as the dragons though, I like them a lot. Just not enough to only want to skate them.
How did the 93's slide?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5720 on: March 02, 2024, 08:10:16 AM »
Very well on rough ground, not so good on smooth. Typical of that durometer, with too much friction meaning ground that is even and smooth it feels like it can’t break free to slide as easily as when the ground is rougher asphalt where it’s bumpier and they can slide easier.  Still slid while bombing hills but I wasn’t as confident to slide on blacktop.
The street ledges and curbs slid very well, skatepark ledges not so much.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5721 on: March 02, 2024, 08:28:02 AM »
Very well on rough ground, not so good on smooth. Typical of that durometer, with too much friction meaning ground that is even and smooth it feels like it can’t break free to slide as easily as when the ground is rougher asphalt where it’s bumpier and they can slide easier.  Still slid while bombing hills but I wasn’t as confident to slide on blacktop.
Well for a crusty curb/ledge set-up they sound perfect then! Normal 99's for everything else. I don't think there ever will be an does all perfect wheel. Like there will always be advantageous and disadvantages with them.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5722 on: March 02, 2024, 08:32:20 AM »
Do you prefer them to the 97a? Also, do you think a hypothetical 95a could still cover rough ground but be able to slide on ledges?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5723 on: March 02, 2024, 08:42:36 AM »
Slide better than the 97s for sure. I would choose the 93 over the 97.

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5724 on: March 02, 2024, 08:54:41 AM »
So are regular radials like worn down classics?

I want like a worn in 55mm classic, would a 53 radial be like this or should I just get some classics and skate them down?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5725 on: March 02, 2024, 08:56:49 AM »
That’s a fair comparison. About the same width.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5726 on: March 02, 2024, 11:40:59 AM »
Were they more grabby than 97a spits on metal coping/rails

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5727 on: March 02, 2024, 11:53:27 AM »

Interesting marketing decision considering Powell already has "Soft Slide Formula" for some of their longboard/downhill wheels like the Snakes and G Slides. Crust burner definitely sounds a lot cooler.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5728 on: March 02, 2024, 12:04:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those who found a use case for them, use them, lots probably didn't bother.

Hype for anything new drops off (Ishod's shoe(s) lol ;)) - Take Flight and VX decks, doubtful they are popular now with anyone but older heads and board breakers - I know a board breaker who skates nothing but VX, flights only if he can't get VX...(cuz powell shapes suck...they've got one good one per size in the flight sect); he also doesn't manual so razor tailing of a $90 thin deck isn't an issue for him.

As always, use the right tool for the job. Break boards? VX/flight. Skate lots of double sided curbs? Rails. Skate shitty terrain? Dragons/Xformula. Slide a lot? Slicks. Crazy switch game? Twins. Skate smooth plaza/parks? 101/103s. Want board feel? Vulcs. Want more impact protection? Cups.. Etc..

pops

• Rep: 250
« Reply #5729 on: March 02, 2024, 12:16:41 PM »
93 Spits sound interesting but is there a point getting them if I already like the dragons? Maybe if they're cheaper and perform similarly. I like Spitfire shapes a bit more than Powell/Bones. Radial/Rf in 93 would be dreamy.