Author Topic: Embarrassing technique question  (Read 894 times)

dublak2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Embarrassing technique question
« on: April 20, 2024, 12:39:37 PM »
When you are approaching an obstacle, do you stare it in the eyes the whole time, popping and shifting/tricking blind?

or

Like me, do you get close to the obstacle then at the last second switch your eyes back to your board, and figure out midair where you're landing?

Example: Nose Slide on a ledge. Do you never take your eyes off the ledge, or do you approach the ledge then move your eyes down to your board right before you pop.

It's come to my attention that my approach may be unorthodox, but until recently it's literally never occurred to me to keep my eyes fixed on the object. Just taking a survey on what everyone else's fundamentals are.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Re: Embarrassing technique question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 07:59:09 PM »
hard for me to say cause whenever I land something things go black in between popping and landing

lulz

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 10:13:54 PM »
hard for me to say cause whenever I land something things go black in between popping and landing

Congratulations on pal status!!)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 05:23:51 AM »
For ledges, rails and lip tricks, I look where I want to land on. Especially for things like bs 50-50s on ledges. You jump where you look/aim at I would say.

Similar to driving a car, you drive where you look at.
IG: @flowterspace

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • sup dog
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 10:51:18 AM »
I used to look at my board before popping into fakie frontside 5050’s.

Then my friend said cut that shit out.

And I have never done it since, and that was 25 years ago.

I do have a friend now that says he looks at his board when trying kickflip backside 5050’s. So, I guess do what’s comfortable.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 12:06:25 PM »

I put my back hand like this and sight the obstacle while thinking about which truck I wanna be on.
This is particularly good for crooks.

When I'm on I sight the end of my grind and I do this with my fingers and the more formed the handstlye the better my chances of stylish make.

Then I do one of these two parters directly at my bolt my feet will always hit if my head is in the right spot

I don't look at my feet from the time I sight the ledge till I roll away. My board knows what to do. The more mindful of just my hands the higher probability of make
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 02:29:59 PM »

I put my back hand like this and sight the obstacle while thinking about which truck I wanna be on.
This is particularly good for crooks.

When I'm on I sight the end of my grind and I do this with my fingers and the more formed the handstlye the better my chances of stylish make.

Then I do one of these two parters directly at my bolt my feet will always hit if my head is in the right spot

I don't look at my feet from the time I sight the ledge till I roll away. My board knows what to do. The more mindful of just my hands the higher probability of make
You’re throwing out secret code signs to your board, and it listens :o

That’s pretty rad. My board doesn’t listen to me when I try to flip it.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 04:31:00 AM »
For ledges rails etc I'll look at where I want to get in the whole time, and watch my board come into my vision underneath me as I ollie up.

For stairs gaps etc even though I loved jumping down things for years I think I learned it wrong which is why I've always been inconsistent with them. I'll watch the edge of the gap and only look down at my board after I've popped. Not looking at my feet while popping makes the trick more likely to go wrong. Pretty sure you should switch and look down right at the last second, but it's terrifying to me to not have the stairs in my field of vision as I'm starting to jump down them. Since realising this I've noticed a lot of pros do it, especially on fakie tricks. Wish I could go back and redo my hucking career with this knowledge but alas I'm 35 now and can barely jump down a 3 stair
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

dublak2

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 11:39:09 AM »
For ledges rails etc I'll look at where I want to get in the whole time, and watch my board come into my vision underneath me as I ollie up.

For stairs gaps etc even though I loved jumping down things for years I think I learned it wrong which is why I've always been inconsistent with them. I'll watch the edge of the gap and only look down at my board after I've popped. Not looking at my feet while popping makes the trick more likely to go wrong. Pretty sure you should switch and look down right at the last second, but it's terrifying to me to not have the stairs in my field of vision as I'm starting to jump down them. Since realising this I've noticed a lot of pros do it, especially on fakie tricks. Wish I could go back and redo my hucking career with this knowledge but alas I'm 35 now and can barely jump down a 3 stair

Not that this applies to me, but what if you were tricking into the ledge/rail?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 11:16:06 AM »
I don't have the biggest amount of experience with that but I think kind of halfway in between? Got my eyes on the ledge as I pop and I can kind of see that I'm going to land on it in the correct position, at that point I can focus on my board and watch it come round and (hopefully) land in the right place
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 11:49:36 AM »
I stare it down like BA did at Hubba.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 05:08:30 AM »
Ive always wanted to learn fakie front noseslides but they seem like a feeler trick vs staring right where you want to make contact with the ledge.

Definitely prefer to look my enemy directly in the eyes.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 07:14:43 PM »
Ive always wanted to learn fakie front noseslides but they seem like a feeler trick vs staring right where you want to make contact with the ledge.

Where you’re sliding backwards?

Last one I landed I looked down at my board and had the ledge in my peripheral vision behind me (between the feet).

But yeah, 80% feeling. Probably why more people don’t do them: cause they’re hard to land first try.  Lines might take forever and big Hubba would be death (unless you’re a skate god)

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 12:54:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Where you’re sliding backwards?

Last one I landed I looked down at my board and had the ledge in my peripheral vision behind me (between the feet).

But yeah, 80% feeling. Probably why more people don’t do them: cause they’re hard to land first try.  Lines might take forever and big Hubba would be death (unless you’re a skate god)

Thanks.  Yeah, backwards.  Shit, now my brain is about to explode thinking about skate trick terminology.

That's how I've approached them in the past and they feel so weird.  Just gonna have to give 'er I suppose.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 02:17:31 PM »
When you are approaching an obstacle, do you stare it in the eyes the whole time, popping and shifting/tricking blind?

or

Like me, do you get close to the obstacle then at the last second switch your eyes back to your board, and figure out midair where you're landing?

Example: Nose Slide on a ledge. Do you never take your eyes off the ledge, or do you approach the ledge then move your eyes down to your board right before you pop.

It's come to my attention that my approach may be unorthodox, but until recently it's literally never occurred to me to keep my eyes fixed on the object. Just taking a survey on what everyone else's fundamentals are.

it depends on what trick I'm doing, how comfortable I am with it and how fast I'm going. For example, hauling ass at a curb to ollie up it, I keep my eyes on the curb and trust my intuition about where my feet are. Creeping along trying a tech trick I've never done before, you bet your ass I'm overanalyzing the shit out of my foot positioning

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dublak2

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2024, 01:40:02 PM »
I stare it down like BA did at Hubba.

like a psycho?