Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129277 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1890 on: January 12, 2024, 01:19:23 PM »
In other news unrelated to the cross disappearing: these damn 144 hollows have a small nub going into the pivot cup and it wiggles around freely making it sit to one side or the other making the board not go straight.

Driving me nuts…. I need to look back through the thread and see what that suggestion was for replacement cups :-\
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1891 on: January 12, 2024, 01:29:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of the Indy logo...what are best responses to people complaining about logo switch? Here are a few good ones I've seen:

"I love watching people throw a tantrum that they are no longer a relevant marketing demographic, while usually claiming to be a part of a “punk” culture that has rejected all that.”

"It’s ok to be a relic from dying generation/demographic. Yell at the clouds while you still have time."

“Just like deck & wheel graphics, the logo on the trucks is the most important factor in the product's performance. Independent trucks don't grind or turn as well without the old logo. If you want to grind faster, you must etch the cross into the baseplate yourself. That will also alert everyone who sees it of your status as a real core skateboarder & not a PC poser in any way.”
[close]
“Independent trucks lost their blessing by the Pope when they removed his cross. They turn like shit now, the axles break, and they make bad noises.”

Add that to the list, too.
[close]

It is pretty funny that the justification Indy used to use was "Well, it's ok with the pope." Cool guys, nothing questionable whatsoever about the Catholic Church nor Pope John Paul II. Certainly no suspect connections between Nazism there, please don't look any further into this issue.

It's a bit long winded, but this is one I actually penned on facebook awhile back.

“Dear Concerned Skater:

Thank you for contacting Skateboarding Customer Support.  Your moral outrage at [insert problem here] “new logo” has been duly noted.  Here at Skateboarding Customer Support we take these matters very seriously.

Your complaint has been forwarded to a senior Compliance Ambassador, who sits on the Central Committee for Skateboarding Adherence and Conformity.  In serious matters such as this, the Adherence and Conformity Committee usually issues a strongly worded mandate demanding the general population to [insert opposite of problem here] “not new logo.”  Soon you can expect all skateboarders and/or manufacturers to change their offensive behavior to better fit your liking.  We agree that everyone should conduct their lives according to your standards.

In the future, we sincerely hope your life to be free of any further [insert problem here] “new logo” problems.  We further hope that other's [insert problem here] “new logo” has not significantly impacted your ability to ride your own skateboard.

We thank you for your relevant, considered, and expert opinions on these very important matters.  Have a nice day.”

-The Central Committee for Skateboarding Adherence and Conformity
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1892 on: January 12, 2024, 02:57:33 PM »
In other news unrelated to the cross disappearing: these damn 144 hollows have a small nub going into the pivot cup and it wiggles around freely making it sit to one side or the other making the board not go straight.

Driving me nuts…. I need to look back through the thread and see what that suggestion was for replacement cups :-\

Yeah the newer trucks in all styles, but it seemed especially the hollow / ti axled trucks have smaller pivot nubs so they tend to bounce around in there, which sometimes make them sound like they have a blown out pivot cup.  Even the stock pivot cups themselves seem thinner and harder material which leads to more movement and noise.

I have tried a few different brands of pivot cup, some work better than others, but one in particular is a bit thicker, so it fits better in the newer Indy trucks.

Too bad I don't recall the brand (or generic I think) or where exactly I got them to be able to pass on info to others, but I got about a hundred, maybe through ebay or somewhere else, not associated with a normal skate brand.

Other people back in the day used to put shoe goo in there, let it almost set and then put the truck hanger gently back on, but I don't know how well that works.

Putting tape round the hanger nub only works for a session or two before it comes out, but even that was better than the movement it had before.

A very small thing that can cause more annoyance than anything else.

@Sedition That is pretty funny / good - always enjoy your humour and posts like that, even if I don't often comment on them directly.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1893 on: January 12, 2024, 03:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah the newer trucks in all styles, but it seemed especially the hollow / ti axled trucks have smaller pivot nubs so they tend to bounce around in there, which sometimes make them sound like they have a blown out pivot cup.  Even the stock pivot cups themselves seem thinner and harder material which leads to more movement and noise.

I have tried a few different brands of pivot cup, some work better than others, but one in particular is a bit thicker, so it fits better in the newer Indy trucks.

Too bad I don't recall the brand (or generic I think) or where exactly I got them to be able to pass on info to others, but I got about a hundred, maybe through ebay or somewhere else, not associated with a normal skate brand.

Other people back in the day used to put shoe goo in there, let it almost set and then put the truck hanger gently back on, but I don't know how well that works.

Putting tape round the hanger nub only works for a session or two before it comes out, but even that was better than the movement it had before.

Expand Quote

[close]

@Sedition That is pretty funny / good - always enjoy your humour and posts like that, even if I don't often comment on them directly.
Thanks, my money is on that you would be the one to know. So if you don’t, I’ll just have to bring a mm tape measurer to any shop willing to let me be a weirdo measuring the diameter of the pivot cup opening.  8)

DERBY

• Rep: 272
« Reply #1894 on: January 12, 2024, 03:16:05 PM »

was gifted these 149s a while back and never really got to using em after trying aces. swapped the polished baseplates for these matte black ones that were on a set of 144s.

never liked the polished baseplate and polished hanger combo. shit looks too much. sorta like when ur shoes are entirely one specific color or when ur clothes match ur skintone

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1895 on: January 12, 2024, 03:21:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of the Indy logo...what are best responses to people complaining about logo switch? Here are a few good ones I've seen:

"I love watching people throw a tantrum that they are no longer a relevant marketing demographic, while usually claiming to be a part of a “punk” culture that has rejected all that.”

"It’s ok to be a relic from dying generation/demographic. Yell at the clouds while you still have time."

“Just like deck & wheel graphics, the logo on the trucks is the most important factor in the product's performance. Independent trucks don't grind or turn as well without the old logo. If you want to grind faster, you must etch the cross into the baseplate yourself. That will also alert everyone who sees it of your status as a real core skateboarder & not a PC poser in any way.”
[close]
“Independent trucks lost their blessing by the Pope when they removed his cross. They turn like shit now, the axles break, and they make bad noises.”

[close]

It is pretty funny that the justification Indy used to use was "Well, it's ok with the pope." Cool guys, nothing questionable whatsoever about the Catholic Church nor Pope John Paul II. Certainly no suspect connections between Nazism there, please don't look any further into this issue.
[close]

It's a bit long winded, but this is one I actually penned on facebook awhile back.

“Dear Concerned Skater:

Thank you for contacting Skateboarding Customer Support.  Your moral outrage at [insert problem here] “new logo” has been duly noted.  Here at Skateboarding Customer Support we take these matters very seriously.

Your complaint has been forwarded to a senior Compliance Ambassador, who sits on the Central Committee for Skateboarding Adherence and Conformity.  In serious matters such as this, the Adherence and Conformity Committee usually issues a strongly worded mandate demanding the general population to [insert opposite of problem here] “not new logo.”  Soon you can expect all skateboarders and/or manufacturers to change their offensive behavior to better fit your liking.  We agree that everyone should conduct their lives according to your standards.

In the future, we sincerely hope your life to be free of any further [insert problem here] “new logo” problems.  We further hope that other's [insert problem here] “new logo” has not significantly impacted your ability to ride your own skateboard.

We thank you for your relevant, considered, and expert opinions on these very important matters.  Have a nice day.”

lol

I wish I was there for that convo when the cross was removed. I guess I could always go back in the vaults to read in Slap. 

runespliffberg

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1896 on: January 14, 2024, 07:39:53 AM »
@mbrimson88 you were correct, my top washers were making the “snapping” sound. I replaced them with some washers I had in my spare parts box, pretty sure they came with some krux bushings I had many moons ago. Thank you for your knowledge good sir!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1897 on: January 14, 2024, 07:47:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you for the kind words.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #1898 on: January 14, 2024, 07:53:59 AM »
The hard Ace bottom/hard Indy top bushing combo is crazy. Seriously, I'm 247lbs and haven't gotten wheel bite since making this change. I could ride these 159s until the end of time. I keep being tempted by Ventures, but it seems silly to switch when my current setup is damn near flawless. Need to find something else in my life to tinker with lol

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1899 on: January 14, 2024, 08:45:04 AM »

was gifted these 149s a while back and never really got to using em after trying aces. swapped the polished baseplates for these matte black ones that were on a set of 144s.

never liked the polished baseplate and polished hanger combo. shit looks too much. sorta like when ur shoes are entirely one specific color or when ur clothes match ur skintone

but now the baseplate doesn’t say supreme L

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1900 on: January 14, 2024, 01:41:33 PM »

I have a set of the newer 144 Titaniums that do that too. But my set of older 149 Titaniums with the cross logo don't wiggle like that at all. Wondering if something changed with the manufacturing tolerances? This and the Ti axle breakage thing bums me out because I've skated Indy's since Stage VII  :(

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1901 on: January 14, 2024, 03:56:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a set of the newer 144 Titaniums that do that too. But my set of older 149 Titaniums with the cross logo don't wiggle like that at all. Wondering if something changed with the manufacturing tolerances? This and the Ti axle breakage thing bums me out because I've skated Indy's since Stage VII  :(
Me too! (Though wiki says stage 8 came out around when I first started so I’m not sure now)

It’s almost as if NHS decided that to save money on the material they allowed for smaller nubs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1902 on: January 14, 2024, 04:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Me too! (Though wiki says stage 8 came out around when I first started so I’m not sure now)

It’s almost as if NHS decided that to save money on the material they allowed for smaller nubs.

I think you both have it right - older trucks pre cross did seem to fit better / not wiggle around, but finding a decent and solid pair of pivot cups is the main thing - not a crazy huge deal, but not finding some decent pivot cups really sucks.

Newer ones just aren't the same, be it the pivot nubs are smaller, or the pivot cups are different material and maybe thinner, or both and more, they have changed, but they still work - just frustrating that somewhere around 2020 when things went weird, then anything since then has been a different truck in very slight ways.

The stock orange bushings are a whole lot better though, at least for people who ride the stock bushings, so that was something good that seemed to happen some time in the last few years, maybe before 2020, when things moved to China around 2018, it seemed.

A short but kind of funny read, if you dare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Truck_Company

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1903 on: January 14, 2024, 08:39:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you both have it right - older trucks pre cross did seem to fit better / not wiggle around, but finding a decent and solid pair of pivot cups is the main thing - not a crazy huge deal, but not finding some decent pivot cups really sucks.

Newer ones just aren't the same, be it the pivot nubs are smaller, or the pivot cups are different material and maybe thinner, or both and more, they have changed, but they still work - just frustrating that somewhere around 2020 when things went weird, then anything since then has been a different truck in very slight ways.

The stock orange bushings are a whole lot better though, at least for people who ride the stock bushings, so that was something good that seemed to happen some time in the last few years, maybe before 2020, when things moved to China around 2018, it seemed.

A short but kind of funny read, if you dare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Truck_Company

Dang! I was hoping for a more juicy story than:

“ In 2021, after many vocalized opinions that the cross was indeed too "Nazi-like", the main logo was changed and they now only occasionally use the iron cross logo.”

Time do some Slap digging for some casual reading ;D

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1904 on: January 14, 2024, 09:40:59 PM »

Dang! I was hoping for a more juicy story than:

“ In 2021, after many vocalized opinions that the cross was indeed too "Nazi-like", the main logo was changed and they now only occasionally use the iron cross logo.”

Time do some Slap digging for some casual reading ;D

Wiki can be a whole lot of fun sometimes, but that information overall is pretty light.

I did have a chuckle with that line you quoted, given that when they changed the logo, they have completely removed all notion of the cross from everything now, replaced by the diamond logo or the hanger wings / loose truck animation logo, or whatever else.

I think if you want controversy and crazy, just check the Indy instagram account, cause there is always someone commenting for and against on there, or at least there was last time I checked.  Really can't believe there are still people who are arguing about it after all this time, but hey it is the internet and people don't like to move on.

https://www.instagram.com/independenttrucks/

I didn't have to look very far.  Yeah they are still at it.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1905 on: January 15, 2024, 08:16:07 AM »
lol. Yup. Post nine minutes ago.

Amazing. Every product post has comments on it ;D

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1906 on: January 15, 2024, 12:07:54 PM »
so many turds love the cross.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1907 on: January 15, 2024, 12:52:03 PM »
Just the independent word by itself with no icon/logo looks lame.

I do like that they’re introducing the diamond more often. If I was running the company I’d go 100% on putting that diamond everywhere you used to see the cross:  beside the Independent name on soft goods, and on truck baseplate ESPECIALLY.

I don’t care about the politics of it all, I wouldn’t want to be in Indy’s position of being accused of Naxi-ism, for sure. They did what they had to do. No big deal.

My beef was that the logo sucked without some icon… so diamond all the way.  Do it, NHS.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1908 on: January 15, 2024, 05:59:14 PM »
lol. Yup. Post nine minutes ago.

Amazing. Every product post has comments on it ;D

They come crawling out of the woodwork for every post.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #1909 on: January 16, 2024, 01:33:03 AM »
People should get over the cross. It's just a fucking cross.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1910 on: January 16, 2024, 04:38:09 AM »
Just got a new pair of stage 11… before skating them I swapped out stock bushings for aftermarket orange conicals. Why is my front truck sticking to one side and not rebounding to the middle.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1911 on: January 16, 2024, 06:12:45 AM »
Just got a new pair of stage 11… before skating them I swapped out stock bushings for aftermarket orange conicals. Why is my front truck sticking to one side and not rebounding to the middle.

Indy bushings are notorious for this, memes have been made.

You don't notice it while skating do you? I assume its just when your board shoots away from you in a giant arc?

jums

« Reply #1912 on: January 16, 2024, 06:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You don't notice it while skating do you? I assume its just when your board shoots away from you in a giant arc?

Yes, precisely

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1913 on: January 16, 2024, 06:26:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, precisely

Yea, this always happens with indy bushings and is usually more drastic the newer they are.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1914 on: January 16, 2024, 03:44:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, precisely
[close]

Yea, this always happens with indy bushings and is usually more drastic the newer they are.

The simple answer is this:  Because any bushings need to break in / wear in, some way more than others.

Stock bushings actually work really well in Indy trucks now, as do the aftermarket bushings, but both need some wear in time.  If you just put them in, crank them down and skate as per usual, of course they are going to do funny things depending on how you landed last, eg land heel side, it will turn off to that side.

Once the bushings wear in, which is usually only a session or two for me for both Indy stock or aftermarket bushings, they rebound really well and don't give me any issues whatsoever.  Other people who have tried the bushings from me are often surprised how well they work, but it is all about that break in time.

They have usually put brand new bushings in or run stock everything and messed up the bushings by skating them hard right from go often don't understand and I have a number of split / squashed / cut up / crumbling bushings that are still almost new, from people who didn't wear them in gently.

For me, I have a mini ramp session or two, but more than anything just rolling around not landing heavily heel or toe and leaning gently left and right, left and right, even on a flat carpark or something and I can feel when they start to come good by holding the board and pushing the truck hanger / wheel down on one side and it bounces back instantly, whereas from new, they will often not do that and stay to one side.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1915 on: January 16, 2024, 06:38:29 PM »
More data:

The machined hole in the baseplates of standard cross era (CE) and post-cross era (PCE)

They are the same measurements just about as damned close as you can without professional gear.

To reiterate early findings: the newer pivot cup is a hard plastic, while the old one is more flexible.

I’ll need to measure the hangar nub next, but my hypothesis is that Mbrin is right and the nub (pivot point) is smaller, leading to more side to side movement causing the cracking.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1916 on: January 17, 2024, 12:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

“Dear Concerned Skater:

@Sedition this is amazing. Would you mind if I used it to respond to some bring back the crossers on fbook marketplace? It’s odd that they’re so riled up about the logo change and almost none of them actually ride a skateboard anymore. It’s crazy how much their identity is wrapped up in a company’s logo.

jums

« Reply #1917 on: January 17, 2024, 02:53:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, precisely
[close]

[close]

The simple answer is this:  Because any bushings need to break in / wear in, some way more than others.

Stock bushings actually work really well in Indy trucks now, as do the aftermarket bushings, but both need some wear in time.  If you just put them in, crank them down and skate as per usual, of course they are going to do funny things depending on how you landed last, eg land heel side, it will turn off to that side.

Once the bushings wear in, which is usually only a session or two for me for both Indy stock or aftermarket bushings, they rebound really well and don't give me any issues whatsoever.  Other people who have tried the bushings from me are often surprised how well they work, but it is all about that break in time.

They have usually put brand new bushings in or run stock everything and messed up the bushings by skating them hard right from go often don't understand and I have a number of split / squashed / cut up / crumbling bushings that are still almost new, from people who didn't wear them in gently.

For me, I have a mini ramp session or two, but more than anything just rolling around not landing heavily heel or toe and leaning gently left and right, left and right, even on a flat carpark or something and I can feel when they start to come good by holding the board and pushing the truck hanger / wheel down on one side and it bounces back instantly, whereas from new, they will often not do that and stay to one side.

Voila!

They’re good now, just needed to break in. I was bugging because that’s never happened to me before, even with new bushings. The cold weather probably affected them too. My past trucks got broken in during the summer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1918 on: January 17, 2024, 04:16:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Voila!

They’re good now, just needed to break in. I was bugging because that’s never happened to me before, even with new bushings. The cold weather probably affected them too. My past trucks got broken in during the summer.

Nice!!!

Yeah even the seasons can have a lot to do with it as well.  Where I am it never gets to ice / below zero, but when I went on a skate mission way back when I was unaware of this sort of thing, very cold winter and jumped out and just could not skate my board and didn't know what was wrong with it - the bushings had become almost frozen solid feeling, compared to how I usually ride them in more temperate climate weather from leaving the board in the car overnight.

Now that I am more familiar with things like that, I can loosen off the kingpin nut a turn in those sort of conditions, but they still take a bit to warm up and become responsive again - almost like breaking in new bushings every day for some people in super cold climates, from what I have heard.

Funny how something so simple and small can have such a big impact on everything I do on a skateboard.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1919 on: January 18, 2024, 09:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

“Dear Concerned Skater:

[close]

@Sedition this is amazing. Would you mind if I used it to respond to some bring back the crossers on fbook marketplace? It’s odd that they’re so riled up about the logo change and almost none of them actually ride a skateboard anymore. It’s crazy how much their identity is wrapped up in a company’s logo.

@funeral_tuxedo by all means!