Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133359 times)

Rick Trapasso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1860 on: January 06, 2024, 03:29:11 PM »

Speaking of which, had a friend just have this happen to his Indy ti axle 149s, so yeah it is still happening to stock from post 2020, same break in the axle as per how ever many others who had similar things happen to their trucks.

Not to say all Indy ti axles are going to break, but there are more than enough of these broken ones out there that make me not want to touch any Indy ti axle trucks since the cross was removed from the baseplate.

Others I have which are older hold up fine and no issues.

He only set these up maybe a month ago and this is just not the sort of thing that should be happening to any product.

Oh shit!

Def thought this issue had been taken care of.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • sup dog
« Reply #1861 on: January 06, 2024, 06:18:00 PM »

Speaking of which, had a friend just have this happen to his Indy ti axle 149s, so yeah it is still happening to stock from post 2020, same break in the axle as per how ever many others who had similar things happen to their trucks.

Not to say all Indy ti axles are going to break, but there are more than enough of these broken ones out there that make me not want to touch any Indy ti axle trucks since the cross was removed from the baseplate.

He only set these up maybe a month ago and this is just not the sort of thing that should be happening to any product.

For $90, hell no they shouldn’t!

Separate issue, but related to product getting worse since moving away from USA:

I’ve looked down the barrel of the axle on the hollows of a local ripper, and his are definitely bent from his gnar landings. Which may have always happened on high impacts, but it’s still lame.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1862 on: January 06, 2024, 08:00:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Separate issue, but related to product getting worse since moving away from USA:

I’ve looked down the barrel of the axle on the hollows of a local ripper, and his are definitely bent from his gnar landings. Which may have always happened on high impacts, but it’s still lame.

They cost well over $100 here in Australia (more like $160+), but everything is almost double what people pay in terms of a figure here, when compared to USA.

As to Indy being made in China, I think that was more specific to a certain batch of ti axles having issues, how ever many that was from after the cross was removed in 2020, so maybe late 2020 to 2021, whereas Indy has been made in China since 2018 and parts from even further back than that.

Ti axles were in very short supply round pandemic times, so maybe someone somewhere subbed in poor quality materials or whatever - I am not a metal worker or have a whole lot of knowledge in that area, but even older ti axles from trucks all still made in China prior to that work fine with no issues, as far as I know.

As to other things going down hill since going anywhere, from where they were initially made, not just USA to China, I think sometimes things can get better, other times not so much, depending on the fine details.

Others have said before, moving production to China is not the issue, it is the quality of work that a manufacturer puts out, so if you pay for it, you get a very good quality of product / work from China, but if you go the cheap route, then you get the sub par quality product every single time.

I don't know any other details to be able to check, verify or otherwise comment on this, but someone, somewhere definitely made a mess of something with those ti axles and for some, who knows how old the product is that is sitting in skate shops or has been in possession of someone who might be selling sets online or elsewhere.

Re hollow trucks, from looking down the axle, some even from new don't seem to be perfectly straight, having a slight bend towards the deck, one definitely went the other way from another brand I can't recall right now, but most usually are pretty straight when you look at them.

I have an old set from one guy who only skated curbs and flat and they are more bent than almost any other hollow I had seen, without actually grinding through axle or breaking off from use or other, eg being run over.  The guy was not heavy, or really anything else to note, but just the sheer pressure slowly made truck axles bend enough that there was no clear vision right through the hollow axle on either, more so on the back though.

You could say that is the nature of skateboarding - use and abuse product, skate and destroy, or whatever else, but everything from back in the day to height of production to current day, things can go both ways, some amazing still after twenty or whatever years, others broken very quickly or just don't hold up to even simple skateboarding.

That is also why warranty of products can be a really good thing, or a pain, depending on who you go through, which shop, which distro, which brand, etc.  Some are really good with anything and everything, others leave a lot to be desired, from the local shop right through distributors to the brand itself.

Thankfully most major brands have a really good warranty department, but you always hear sometimes things fall through the cracks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1863 on: January 07, 2024, 07:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They cost well over $100 here in Australia (more like $160+), but everything is almost double what people pay in terms of a figure here, when compared to USA.

As to Indy being made in China, I think that was more specific to a certain batch of ti axles having issues, how ever many that was from after the cross was removed in 2020, so maybe late 2020 to 2021, whereas Indy has been made in China since 2018 and parts from even further back than that.

Ti axles were in very short supply round pandemic times, so maybe someone somewhere subbed in poor quality materials or whatever - I am not a metal worker or have a whole lot of knowledge in that area, but even older ti axles from trucks all still made in China prior to that work fine with no issues, as far as I know.

As to other things going down hill since going anywhere, from where they were initially made, not just USA to China, I think sometimes things can get better, other times not so much, depending on the fine details.

Others have said before, moving production to China is not the issue, it is the quality of work that a manufacturer puts out, so if you pay for it, you get a very good quality of product / work from China, but if you go the cheap route, then you get the sub par quality product every single time.

I don't know any other details to be able to check, verify or otherwise comment on this, but someone, somewhere definitely made a mess of something with those ti axles and for some, who knows how old the product is that is sitting in skate shops or has been in possession of someone who might be selling sets online or elsewhere.

Re hollow trucks, from looking down the axle, some even from new don't seem to be perfectly straight, having a slight bend towards the deck, one definitely went the other way from another brand I can't recall right now, but most usually are pretty straight when you look at them.

I have an old set from one guy who only skated curbs and flat and they are more bent than almost any other hollow I had seen, without actually grinding through axle or breaking off from use or other, eg being run over.  The guy was not heavy, or really anything else to note, but just the sheer pressure slowly made truck axles bend enough that there was no clear vision right through the hollow axle on either, more so on the back though.

You could say that is the nature of skateboarding - use and abuse product, skate and destroy, or whatever else, but everything from back in the day to height of production to current day, things can go both ways, some amazing still after twenty or whatever years, others broken very quickly or just don't hold up to even simple skateboarding.

That is also why warranty of products can be a really good thing, or a pain, depending on who you go through, which shop, which distro, which brand, etc.  Some are really good with anything and everything, others leave a lot to be desired, from the local shop right through distributors to the brand itself.

Thankfully most major brands have a really good warranty department, but you always hear sometimes things fall through the cracks.
Thanks Brinson. Always enjoy your knowledge posts.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1864 on: January 07, 2024, 07:45:45 AM »

Yeesh, with the price tag and the potential of getting older stock and losing your axle, TI Indy’s really don’t seem worth it.

rikki

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1865 on: January 07, 2024, 09:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote
The more I skate Indy Titaniums with Indy blue 92s, the more I love skateboarding on top of the endless love I already have for it.
[close]

What size trucks?

144s, currently on a DLX 8.25 which is more like an 8.38.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1866 on: January 07, 2024, 03:24:37 PM »
Has anyone thrown some stage IV hangars on some forged plates and rode it?  I just setup with Krux bushings and geo seems good, bottom bushings are same height, krux top is a bit smaller.  Much lighter and better kp clearance too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1867 on: January 07, 2024, 07:00:24 PM »
Has anyone thrown some stage IV hangars on some forged plates and rode it?  I just setup with Krux bushings and geo seems good, bottom bushings are same height, krux top is a bit smaller.  Much lighter and better kp clearance too.

Maurio McCoy.
https://youtu.be/R7oefdpS4OA?t=74

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1868 on: January 07, 2024, 07:54:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maurio McCoy.

when i watched this….i wanted too do it

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1869 on: January 07, 2024, 08:49:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Maurio McCoy.
[close]

when i watched this….i wanted too do it

It clearly works [for him] and it does create the 'lite' version of an indy they don't have (hollow pin/solid axle) and 53.5mm...

manysnakes

« Reply #1870 on: January 08, 2024, 07:57:08 AM »
FWIW I'm pretty sure that Titanium Indys hangers have always been made in China; this was one of the first things they ever produced there.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1871 on: January 08, 2024, 08:01:57 AM »
FWIW I'm pretty sure that Titanium Indys hangers have always been made in China; this was one of the first things they ever produced there.

everyone seems to get their titanium trucks built there, no?
doesn’t seem like it’s working very wel, least of all for indy.
one of the biggest drawbacks, for me and my attempts at indy LTR, was the weight. i thought. haven’t skated them much in recent times, miss the grind, and to borrow from b.degros, how ‘butch’ they made me feel.

manysnakes

« Reply #1872 on: January 08, 2024, 08:15:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

one of the biggest drawbacks, for me and my attempts at indy LTR, was the weight. i thought. haven’t skated them much in recent times, miss the grind, and to borrow from b.degros, how ‘butch’ they made me feel.

Yeah, my guess is that the US forge (which Indy, Venture and Thunder were all using, right?) has ever been setup for titanium axles. I don't know the first thing about forging, but I suppose it's not as simple as swapping in a titanium axle in place of chromoly.

The weight difference between titanium and hollow is so minor that I don't know how anyone could justify the price difference, especially given the propensity for titanium to snap, where chromoly would merely bend.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1873 on: January 08, 2024, 12:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, my guess is that the US forge (which Indy, Venture and Thunder were all using, right?) has ever been setup for titanium axles. I don't know the first thing about forging, but I suppose it's not as simple as swapping in a titanium axle in place of chromoly.

The weight difference between titanium and hollow is so minor that I don't know how anyone could justify the price difference, especially given the propensity for titanium to snap, where chromoly would merely bend.

yeah the ti premium didn’t make sense over the hollows.
i skated 169 hollows, after hefting in hand, someone’s setup with 169 ti’s, and noticing how dang light it felt picking it up.
the 169 hollows were not the revelation i was looking for. i think that size is just too extreme for me.
aaaaaaanyways, hollows seem like the move for those that are concerned.
i am sort of surprised that indy doesn’t offer the ‘lite’ version (regular hanger, forged baseplate w/hollow kingpin). i prefer my lite versions of thunder/venture, to the hollow lite versions. something something something about the way the board sounds/feels/vibrates, when rolling on the street/doing crap frontside 50/50s on chunky curbs and ledges.

i continue to lurk, and post in this indy thread, despite not riding them in years. i’m still hurt i wasn’t able to make the size up to 149s when all the cool kids were doing that. and i really really liked skating 159s. for a week. but that week was the shit. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1874 on: January 08, 2024, 12:32:18 PM »
Been of indy for 2 yrs or so (maybe a day or 2 dipping back), mostly riding Royals, but dipping Ventures /slappy trucks.

Setup 149ti/blue 92s at first, then quickly moved to bones hards, and I was not disappointed.

Coming off Venture 5.8 cast hollow (same weight / height give or take) the difference in grind[ing curbs] cannot be understated...indys just barge through chunky shit, whereas ventures need extra speed/wax/weight focus to get them performing similarly (royals land between the two); pinch/pop adjustments were total manageable (32" flat kicked board / 14.25" WB)

At 193lbs, the stability of the stock ventures was missing (stock were to loose tho), and with very broken in 96a bones/conical bushings the indys are very nimble/a tad more squirrly than I want; going to split the difference and setup black 94a aftermarkets bottoms and leave the bones top, just a hair softer than the bones but more stable with the bottom barrel.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1875 on: January 09, 2024, 02:13:01 AM »
So is the general consensus to avoid the Ti Indys at the moment, as it's a lottery whether you get a dodgy set? I am sizing down my whole set-up and was looking at Ti's or some Royals. I ran hard bushings in my last set of Indys (Wink 159s) and know the Royal bushings will be too soft.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1876 on: January 09, 2024, 05:14:56 AM »
Lottery indeed

it could be annoying when it happens but if your Ti axle breaks, you'll get replacement trucks with ease
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 02:13:03 AM by BALARGUE »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1877 on: January 10, 2024, 03:50:25 PM »
Lottery indeed

it could be annoying when it happens but if your Ti axle breaks, you'll get replacement trucks with ease

Yes indeed!

NHS are already sorting out replacements for those ones I posted a pic of, all through the local distro, but at least they are getting it done, no trouble at all.

Generally though, from the thousands or how ever many were made, I still thing it is a very low percentage of trucks that have broken, so for some people having a panic attack about their ti axle Indy trucks, I don't think it is that much to worry about.

rikki

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1878 on: January 11, 2024, 12:39:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Lottery indeed

[close]

Yes indeed!

NHS are already sorting out replacements for those ones I posted a pic of, all through the local distro, but at least they are getting it done, no trouble at all.

Generally though, from the thousands or how ever many were made, I still thing it is a very low percentage of trucks that have broken, so for some people having a panic attack about their ti axle Indy trucks, I don't think it is that much to worry about.

I wouldn't worry, places like Slap tend to significantly amplify issues like these. I've been on a pair of Titanium 144s for over a year now, and they are among the best trucks I've ever skated. No issues whatsoever.

smg1138

• Rep: 57
« Reply #1879 on: January 11, 2024, 07:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lottery indeed

[close]

Yes indeed!

[close]

I wouldn't worry, places like Slap tend to significantly amplify issues like these. I've been on a pair of Titanium 144s for over a year now, and they are among the best trucks I've ever skated. No issues whatsoever.

I have a set of the recent 139's and 144's and so far they've been fine. I figure if they can hold up to my 180lb ass doing drops they should be safe to keep riding. Funnily enough, I keep going back to skating standard 149's on my April 8.5 deck. Even though they make flip tricks a little harder, there's just something about standards that feel so comfy and right. Maybe it's like Ben Degros said, they make me feel super butch and manly lol

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1880 on: January 11, 2024, 04:51:52 PM »

I wouldn't worry, places like Slap tend to significantly amplify issues like these.

So true, a handful of incidents and it's time to cancel the brand. It's also cool to shit on NHS and Indy trucks these days.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1881 on: January 11, 2024, 08:43:19 PM »
Expand Quote

I wouldn't worry, places like Slap tend to significantly amplify issues like these.
[close]

So true, a handful of incidents and it's time to cancel the brand. It's also cool to shit on NHS and Indy trucks these days.

well nhs has made it easy to want to shit on them: bogus pandemic attitudes towards shops, weird sellout vibes mixed with the harsh bro marketing, lots of old skate adjacent iron cross lovers (shit used to be a joke).

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1882 on: January 11, 2024, 09:10:09 PM »
Sometimes I'll just search 'skateboard' on ebay and scroll thru to see if anything interesting pops up. Usually people just selling random stuff. A board (specifically the trucks) caught my eye. Zoomed in on the pics and knew the Indys were early stage. When it arrived I immediately took off the trucks and was very happy to find out they were Stage I. The only stage with kingpins sealed in the baseplates. Gave them a good cleaning and threw in some new 'Original' bushings. Going to set them up and see how they feel....

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1883 on: January 11, 2024, 09:22:28 PM »
Sometimes I'll just search 'skateboard' on ebay and scroll thru to see if anything interesting pops up. Usually people just selling random stuff. A board (specifically the trucks) caught my eye. Zoomed in on the pics and knew the Indys were early stage. When it arrived I immediately took off the trucks and was very happy to find out they were Stage I. The only stage with kingpins sealed in the baseplates. Gave them a good cleaning and threw in some new 'Original' bushings. Going to set them up and see how they feel....

Damn
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1884 on: January 12, 2024, 02:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do find it funny, especially in their instagram comments, so many people going off one end or the other.

Really, what I like most is how the trucks feel when I skate them, regardless of where they were made, or the company behind the brand, or the logo, or the history, but the funny thing is all that is what makes the brand so interesting as well.

Sure there can be some questionable decisions at times, throughout the life or timeline of any brand that has been around more than a few years, but some stand the test of time and everything else, more so than the "what's hot" or "who's cool" or anything like that.

In saying that, I am happy to stick with Stage 11 standards, no matter where they are made, mainly because they just work for what I want, have fewer issues than the others, with everything else having more dramas, especially mids, ti axles, or even forged baseplates / hollow kingpins in general, from all the time I have spent fixing or helping people with their truck problems.

I don't doubt others have their favourites, Indy variations or other brands and that is quite ok too, but when there are known issues with some types, or batches or whatever, I tend to try to stay away from those and focus on the trucks that I will have the least issues with, but that's just me.

Guessing there are often a lot of negative comments and posts more recently about certain things to do with Indy, NHS or where things are made, but I can't see myself changing any time soon, if ever, for any other brand of truck and bushing.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1885 on: January 12, 2024, 05:56:41 AM »
Speaking of the Indy logo...what are best responses to people complaining about logo switch? Here are a few good ones I've seen:

"I love watching people throw a tantrum that they are no longer a relevant marketing demographic, while usually claiming to be a part of a “punk” culture that has rejected all that.”

"It’s ok to be a relic from dying generation/demographic. Yell at the clouds while you still have time."

“Just like deck & wheel graphics, the logo on the trucks is the most important factor in the product's performance. Independent trucks don't grind or turn as well without the old logo. If you want to grind faster, you must etch the cross into the baseplate yourself. That will also alert everyone who sees it of your status as a real core skateboarder & not a PC poser in any way.”
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1886 on: January 12, 2024, 07:50:02 AM »

!! Nice find!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #1887 on: January 12, 2024, 09:13:13 AM »

Sick! Nice score. I have some Stage 2s 131s that my friend scored from a yard sale complete (he paid $10 and I talked him out them) I did put them on a board to see how they felt and I have to admit, I really didn't like the turn. It  was way too unstable on center. I feel like this is where Ace really figured things out.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1888 on: January 12, 2024, 10:09:03 AM »
Speaking of the Indy logo...what are best responses to people complaining about logo switch? Here are a few good ones I've seen:

"I love watching people throw a tantrum that they are no longer a relevant marketing demographic, while usually claiming to be a part of a “punk” culture that has rejected all that.”

"It’s ok to be a relic from dying generation/demographic. Yell at the clouds while you still have time."

“Just like deck & wheel graphics, the logo on the trucks is the most important factor in the product's performance. Independent trucks don't grind or turn as well without the old logo. If you want to grind faster, you must etch the cross into the baseplate yourself. That will also alert everyone who sees it of your status as a real core skateboarder & not a PC poser in any way.”
“Independent trucks lost their blessing by the Pope when they removed his cross. They turn like shit now, the axles break, and they make bad noises.”

Add that to the list, too.

manysnakes

« Reply #1889 on: January 12, 2024, 10:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
“Independent trucks lost their blessing by the Pope when they removed his cross. They turn like shit now, the axles break, and they make bad noises.”

Add that to the list, too.

It is pretty funny that the justification Indy used to use was "Well, it's ok with the pope." Cool guys, nothing questionable whatsoever about the Catholic Church nor Pope John Paul II. Certainly no suspect connections between Nazism there, please don't look any further into this issue.