Author Topic: Is there a way for girl to get the team they should have?  (Read 2572 times)

Mmhmm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Is there a way for girl to get the team they should have?
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
Its nuts how mediocre the roster is

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
Re: Is there a way for girl to get the team they should have?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:14:09 PM »
Yeah if everyone left. They shouldn't have a team at all anymore, fuck craig
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

applejuice

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 08:20:20 PM »
The better question is what teams would you like to see the new guys on.

Dick Dastardly

• Rep: 9
  • Muttley!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:28:17 PM »
Why should they “have” a better team? Skateboarding doesn’t owe them anything. Shitty management and not keeping with the times is what killed crail
Muttley!!!!

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:40:17 PM »
Skateboarding doesn’t owe them anything.

Except a flat spot in a dust storm. Or something like that

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 08:40:34 PM »
Yeah if everyone left. They shouldn't have a team at all anymore, fuck craig

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 08:42:12 PM »
Why should they “have” a better team? Skateboarding doesn’t owe them anything. Shitty management and not keeping with the times is what killed crail
ok thanks

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »
Sorry. I am 44 and busy watching the Quasi video.
ok thanks

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »
Griffin Gass is a straight up stone cold shredder

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:48:45 PM »
Maybe if they finally stopped living in the past? I'm an older guy who used to love Girl, now they're just so cringey (though i'll always be down for Rick Howard footage.)
"Give it a name."

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 08:55:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I think that ship is sailed. The critical juncture was during pretty sweet. By sacrificing brand integrity for short term video sales, not only did they help spur an exodus of some riders, but they sort of made the company untouchable to “cool” skaters who a decade earlier would have jumped at the chance.

If they hadn’t leaned into becoming Powell 2.0, they probably could have had the pick of the litter of
Younger skaters. But people with options, who
Know that shoes (not boards) pay the money, aren’t going to sacrifice integrity for a sinking ship.

I was - and still to a lesser degree - a crail person. But it was clear that Pretty Sweet and broader marketing decisions made the brand cringey. That video will be an important turning point looking back.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
Griffin, Niels, and Simon are dope. Malto and McCrank are still killing it too. Aside from some of the OGs that aren’t productive I’m ok with the team.

Big_Dingus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
Time machine. Boot it up head back to 1965 and stop Rodney Mullen's mom from getting pregnant.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »
Outside of Alex Olsen, who under the age of 35 quit the team recently and went on to have a productive career with another team?

They spent the last decade bloated full of dudes who were past their prime and still milking board sales. Eventually, you have to let them all go and start fresh.

Girl's biggest mistake in my eyes is that they carried so few ams from 2008 to 2016. Once Mike Mo, AO, and Malto all went pro on the same day, Cory Kennedy was the last Am they had for a while. When he went to jail, Girl basically had no one left that could bridge the gap from the Fully Flared/Pretty Sweet days to the modern era.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »
It reminds me of The Simpsons: a golden era of extremely high quality, instant-classic output followed by a prolonged period of being artificially kept on life support because it still keeps making money despite the fact that it is gradually becoming unrecognizable and has sadly lost much of its magic long ago.

God damn that was a long sentence.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Big_Dingus

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »
Outside of Alex Olsen, who under the age of 35 quit the team recently and went on to have a productive career with another team?

They spent the last decade bloated full of dudes who were past their prime and still milking board sales. Eventually, you have to let them all go and start fresh.

Girl's biggest mistake in my eyes is that they carried so few ams from 2008 to 2016. Once Mike Mo, AO, and Malto all went pro on the same day, Cory Kennedy was the last Am they had for a while. When he went to jail, Girl basically had no one left that could bridge the gap from the Fully Flared/Pretty Sweet days to the modern era.

Agreed, they let "legacy" pros pretty much become the team. Retiring in skateboarding doesn't seem to be a common thing. Only a few people have done it like Heath and Cairo. I wonder if it were more common how that would change brand dynamics. They should've been running Crail like Baker, you don't produce you're out!

Fraserjamesjollyjamieson

• Rep: -17
  • Brown 2
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 11:35:08 PM »
They were also just super unlucky in the 2010s, all the guys that should have carried them through the decade had some bs happen to them, mike mo with the car accident couldn’t skate again, malto his ankle injury he never really got back to the level he was on since, then ck1 going to jail all those guys were in there prime when it happened n we all were kinda robbed of seeing a more mature girl video with them at the wheel, n after that I know from my perspective I started in 2013 that no one my age really was hyped on anyone on girl at least the new guys n guy koston Marc leaveing didn’t help only recently I’ve noticed skaters my age talking about them again mainly cause of Simon n neils n then complaing about man child

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 11:39:39 PM »
Nah too little too late. Girl as we knew it is toast, but they had a good run.  That's skateboarding, the same thing will happen to Primitive, Supreme eventually.

Only big shoe companies like Vans and SB can last a couple of decades.

Big_Dingus

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 11:53:00 PM »
Simon is the truth doh. They picked a good one there!

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:32 AM »
Is Biebel still on?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 12:49:58 AM »
If you don’t think the new team is special you’re tripping. Griffin, Simon, Niels, and Pacheco are all really dope.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 04:27:40 AM »
If you don’t think the new team is special you’re tripping. Griffin, Simon, Niels, and Pacheco are all really dope.

LoL @ pacheco being “dope”. Dude is the most mediocre girl skater maybe ever. I actually think even Andrew brophy is better. I can name a dozen kids in the small city i live in that are wayyy better and don’t act like a spoiled 16 year old from the suburbs

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 04:33:46 AM »
To even further reiterate Craig made a run at John mueller a local in Rochester about a decade ago. He turned it down, used to trip on that but now I feel like he made a wise choice.

The current main filmer at Craig is also from Rochester and filmed a lot of my friends growing up for a Christian skate team when we were in middle school.

My point is that I’m not just talking out of my ass entirely. There’s literally a dozen kids in this area wayyyy better than Tyler

ricky bobby

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 04:38:22 AM »
I think he's on Chocolate, but i'd like to see Carl Aikens on a team that will actually do something with him. Dude is so good and deserves to be front and centre on a team that will market him well.

GuessAgain?

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 04:40:28 AM »
They were also just super unlucky in the 2010s, all the guys that should have carried them through the decade had some bs happen to them, mike mo with the car accident couldn’t skate again, malto his ankle injury he never really got back to the level he was on since, then ck1 going to jail all those guys were in there prime when it happened n we all were kinda robbed of seeing a more mature girl video with them at the wheel, n after that I know from my perspective I started in 2013 that no one my age really was hyped on anyone on girl at least the new guys n guy koston Marc leaveing didn’t help only recently I’ve noticed skaters my age talking about them again mainly cause of Simon n neils n then complaing about man child

Haha that video would have been DOA if it came out any time after 2016 (LATEST). Trust me, no one got robbed of that crap. At one point all they had going for them was Cory and that's because he was skating with the anti hero dudes and releasing parts and footage that had nothing to do with crailtap what so ever.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 04:48:19 AM »
Bring back Ty Evans.

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 05:01:48 AM »
Sorry. I am 44 and busy watching the Quasi video.

this is peak slap forum content
Just shred some serious gnar.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 05:27:47 AM »
Rochester just built a new park I really hope Craig shows up so I can bring a megaphone and just say yonnie cruz knowingly spreads his herpes over and over again until someone tries to fight me : )

cky enthusiast

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 05:47:12 AM »
Rochester just built a new park I really hope Craig shows up so I can bring a megaphone and just say yonnie cruz knowingly spreads his herpes over and over again until someone tries to fight me : )

no one will notice because that park has 8000 people in a 2 square ft zone

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 05:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no one will notice because that park has 8000 people in a 2 square ft zone

True maybe handing out pamphlets would also help. There are legitimately a lot of females picking up skateboarding in the area they should know