Author Topic: thrasher, no longer the king of skate media  (Read 5504 times)

itsmarksdad

thrasher, no longer the king of skate media
« on: November 02, 2022, 07:20:32 PM »
quick thesis?

Thrasher no longer has a death grip on skateboard media. Not sure of the timeline exactly but there was a point almost all videos came through thrasher. Now many brands are going straight to youtube and many other publications. There were a few solo and team releases on jenkem to kick things off in the past few years but now place mag, free skate mag and a few others are starting to host established 'western' skate media on their platforms.

A recent notice in the lack of 'blockbuster' thrasher parts(compared to previous years), hearing torey pudwill's situation with his bigger bang part and just watching this brian delatorre 'habitat' part on free skate mag makes me think that thrasher has lost it's death grips on skate media.

Also the writing in thrasher has been absolute trash for the past year. The t'ed and 'gossip' page in the back are truly terrible now. And the ads? way too oversaturated.

sports.

pleasent street

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -91
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: thrasher, no longer the king of skate media
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 08:26:36 PM »
yeah thrasher is lame now. i never really cared for phelps when he was around but now that he's gone and i can see how much he actually did to keep skating cool i really do appreciate the guy.

Geico Insurance

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 08:45:12 PM »
quick thesis?

Thrasher no longer has a death grip on skateboard media. Not sure of the timeline exactly but there was a point almost all videos came through thrasher. Now many brands are going straight to youtube and many other publications. There were a few solo and team releases on jenkem to kick things off in the past few years but now place mag, free skate mag and a few others are starting to host established 'western' skate media on their platforms.

A recent notice in the lack of 'blockbuster' thrasher parts(compared to previous years), hearing torey pudwill's situation with his bigger bang part and just watching this brian delatorre 'habitat' part on free skate mag makes me think that thrasher has lost it's death grips on skate media.

Also the writing in thrasher has been absolute trash for the past year. The t'ed and 'gossip' page in the back are truly terrible now. And the ads? way too oversaturated.

sports.

Hey Punished Skateboards, a few people already said they agreed with you about Gifted Hater being the new skate media king, give it a rest. You’re starting to be weird.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 08:49:30 PM »
I'm not a huge thrasher fan or anything but I think its pretty clear they've still got a "death grip" on basically any relevant part that comes out (with the exception of the random couple you mentioned that are hardly "blockbuster")

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 08:53:13 PM »
Thrasher is good for me because it’s a nice aggregator of all the solo parts out there, but I’m sure brands chafe about the Thrasher watermark, etc.   Thrasher is still the big man on campus, just because there’s a little blip of parity in other sites getting to host videos means nothing in the long run

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 09:41:32 PM »
Even though Thrasher does seem to have a chokehold on skate media, I commend the likes of Jenkem, Pocket, and Free Skate for putting out quality stuff. Especially Pocket with the Followed series.

It’s weird to me that TWS kind of just quit aside from the Jason Hernandez vault videos.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 10:08:06 PM »
Thrasher’s Out There series is really good though. I do like how they positioned themselves in their current lane when The Berrics were at their peak with First Try Friday’s and what not. There was a point where Recruits were legit parts for skaters but now it’s back to normal street parts again.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 10:15:21 PM »
Always annoyed me seeing certain publications  (Free Skate Mag) direct traffic to their website daily to view a video that has absolutely nothing to do with them. If your model to get clicks is based on this, what's the point? There's no integrity.

Brian's Habitat part being on Free may have something a little to do with the big lawsuit that's currently being pursued against Thrasher due to the whole Black Rock incident. Same reason why Right Here For Pablo wasn't branded as a a GX video and why there was 'key omissions' from the video.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 10:19:52 PM »
Yeah, I’ll be the voice of the opposite and say that the content and conglomeration of parts/videos they amass has now put them higher than ever on the pole. Also, what is on there, helps guide the general consensus of skateboarding in a direction that sustains the culture. Don’t forget skateboarding has died before when flooded with kooks. Support ethical gate keeping, or it’ll die again.

It’s the Bible. Shtiiil.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 10:22:48 PM »
    Interesting if this turns out to be true.  Maybe skate content generally will end up taking a down turn, (which I'd wager Thrasher will have had a hand in for being trash.  Its been shitty since the mid or late 00s.  But when the online took off super hard it was bad but a different kind of bad.)  End of the day tho I wouldn't blame Gary. 
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 10:25:01 PM »
My understanding has been that the Thrasher logo garners them enough money from merchandising that they are able to retain a bit of a powerhouse clout.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2270
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 10:46:58 PM »
How many pages will this get to before Jenkem makes an article out of it?

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

dannyprovolone

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 01:27:05 AM »
Punished skateboards. King of skate media.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 01:27:50 AM »
Here is my modus operandi when it comes to skatepart selection: I'll check what my YT  recommends.

Thrasher is kinda a seal of quality of sorts so I'll click the Thrasher parts without hesitation (except for Thrasher contest/trip footy like Hellbomb or stuff like that which does not interest me).

For other suggestions I refer to Slap to see if the pals love it. If a clip has a thread on Slap with more than one pal finding it dope/sick (unless it's only homies of the filmer) or an absolute kook fest, I'll probably watch.  :-)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 05:34:18 AM »
Braille YouTube channel - king of skate media

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 05:38:00 AM »
Naw Thrasher is still number 1.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 06:15:38 AM »
Not me but I back it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 06:37:52 AM »
it is still the best selling print magazine too

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 06:40:06 AM »
Braille YouTube channel - king of skate media

Get hungry on it!

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 07:29:32 AM »
It's funny that Punished skateboards / op seem to think that as a media, all that Thrasher does is post videos on Youtube.

There's the actual mag, they got the site, multiple different social media channels (including Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, even a Twitch channel etc.).

The fact that when you buy in to have a video on Thrasher means there's gonna be a post on other channels so even if one one ever watches the full vid, people can say they saw what was posted on the 'gram. Multiple different channels for your content.

Then there's the collabs, original content, they create/sponsor events and contest and there's the merch. They (as in High Speed) even host this forum.

It's great that there's things like Jenkem, Free, Pocket, other rags and mags and even stuff like Gifted Hater providing more skateboarding content. But even all these combined don't have the impact or reach of Thrasher.

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 07:46:50 AM »
It's funny that Punished skateboards / op seem to think that as a media, all that Thrasher does is post videos on Youtube.

There's the actual mag, they got the site, multiple different social media channels (including Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, even a Twitch channel etc.).

The fact that when you buy in to have a video on Thrasher means there's gonna be a post on other channels so even if one one ever watches the full vid, people can say they saw what was posted on the 'gram. Multiple different channels for your content.

Then there's the collabs, original content, they create/sponsor events and contest and there's the merch. They (as in High Speed) even host this forum.

It's great that there's things like Jenkem, Free, Pocket, other rags and mags and even stuff like Gifted Hater providing more skateboarding content. But even all these combined don't have the impact or reach of Thrasher.

And don’t forget they have t-shirts sold in malls! Malls I say!!

Reach does not cool make or however the saying goes

They’re Life Magazine. Newsweek at best.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2022, 08:10:56 AM »
I've slowly started moving in FreeSkateMags direction for a while now. I really enjoy the coverage of the Euro skate scene. That is not to say that I don't check out almost everything that Thrasher puts out, but it just doesn't have the same magic for me that it once did. Also really enjoy the followed pieces that Place puts out as well.

Always annoyed me seeing certain publications  (Free Skate Mag) direct traffic to their website daily to view a video that has absolutely nothing to do with them. If your model to get clicks is based on this, what's the point? There's no integrity.

Brian's Habitat part being on Free may have something a little to do with the big lawsuit that's currently being pursued against Thrasher due to the whole Black Rock incident. Same reason why Right Here For Pablo wasn't branded as a a GX video and why there was 'key omissions' from the video.

Does anyone have any background info on what is being referred to here?

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2022, 08:18:52 AM »
I've slowly started moving in FreeSkateMags direction for a while now. I really enjoy the coverage of the Euro skate scene. That is not to say that I don't check out almost everything that Thrasher puts out, but it just doesn't have the same magic for me that it once did. Also really enjoy the followed pieces that Place puts out as well.

Expand Quote

[close]

Does anyone have any background info on what is being referred to here?

not much more to be said than that

Rihannasdirtylaundry

• Rep: -1
  • A poster formerly known as Rafiki
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2022, 08:24:34 AM »
Thrasher been corny as hell and Jenkem are just culture vultures. I back Lowcard and Skate Jawn.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2022, 08:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Grateful we have you here to set the standards for this blossoming industry brother

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2022, 08:31:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Grateful we have you here to set the standards for this blossoming industry brother

Here’s the guy that thinks Hurley flex-fits are cool because at one point they were sold in Costco. And Costco has reach!

Popular does not equal cool. Thrasher no longer determines what is cool. GH does. And you can agree with GH or not but just don’t be bothered because you’re not cool. It’s ok to not be cool. Be yourself.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 09:00:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Here’s the guy that thinks Hurley flex-fits are cool because at one point they were sold in Costco. And Costco has reach!

Popular does not equal cool. Thrasher no longer determines what is cool. GH does. And you can agree with GH or not but just don’t be bothered because you’re not cool. It’s ok to not be cool. Be yourself.

GH just talks about things that other people do.
He doesn't create anything, he doesn't have merch or design clothes, shoes, decks, graphics...anything.
There are literally millions of skaters on the planet, and you're saying this squeaky kid who gets 100k views per video is the sole gatekeeper for what is cool. His viewership accounts for roughly .00125% of global skaters.
I'm not sure if you're a troll, idiot, or obsessed GH stalker but this shit is getting boring so I don't care.

Thrasher is going to be fine.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »
Not the same, but I’m terms of print I really believe that closer skate mag is top tier. I realize it is the way it is because it’s so small and will never be what thrasher is, guess I’m just expressing appreciation

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

GH just talks about things that other people do.
He doesn't create anything, he doesn't have merch or design clothes, shoes, decks, graphics...anything.
There are literally millions of skaters on the planet, and you're saying this squeaky kid who gets 100k views per video is the sole gatekeeper for what is cool. His viewership accounts for roughly .00125% of global skaters.
I'm not sure if you're a troll, idiot, or obsessed GH stalker but this shit is getting boring so I don't care.

Thrasher is going to be fine.

Slap had been saying IC was garbage from the jump. No one cared. Thrasher was backing them. So were they cool because we all seem to love Thrasher? Not until GH started bashing them did everyone start realizing how awful they are and now we see the company effectively folding.

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2022, 09:31:11 AM »
quick thesis?

sports.

what was the situation with Torey's part?