Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798548 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1830 on: June 05, 2019, 01:05:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've come to the conclusion that my 80hd chargers are actually pretty fucking slow.
[close]

I had a couple sets of those a couple years ago and they felt slower than the other soft wheels I rode and I always had problems with the way the bearings would sit in the wheel. It would always feel wobbly, like I had a flat spot, but with no flat spot
[close]
I only noticed the slowness. I really like how they look like regular wheels, and they are pristine white, but I gotta face the facts that they don't roll well. Going to switch back to my old zip zinger wheels. These are perfect.

I have Ricta clouds, the 86a, on my second setup as the fell pretty good. The regular look is great too
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1831 on: June 05, 2019, 06:20:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've come to the conclusion that my 80hd chargers are actually pretty fucking slow.
[close]

I had a couple sets of those a couple years ago and they felt slower than the other soft wheels I rode and I always had problems with the way the bearings would sit in the wheel. It would always feel wobbly, like I had a flat spot, but with no flat spot
[close]
I only noticed the slowness. I really like how they look like regular wheels, and they are pristine white, but I gotta face the facts that they don't roll well. Going to switch back to my old zip zinger wheels. These are perfect.

Nice! I’ve never tried the zip zingers but I liked Ricta clouds (in smaller sizes) and mini logo 90a for softer wheels that are reasonably sized for street skating

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1832 on: June 07, 2019, 08:31:30 AM »

put these on my new cruiser. they're pretty nice feeling, only took one ride around with em but they felt solid ollieing up curbs and landing some kickflips, shuvits, and 180s. I don't think I can slide em just yet, but there's definitely potential once they're worn in.

I was contemplating super juice but im glad i went with a more traditional wheel shape and slightly harder duro. These feel like they stick to the pavement just as much but they don't bounce around as badly when you pop

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #1833 on: June 07, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I have Ricta clouds, the 86a, on my second setup as the fell pretty good. The regular look is great too

I had those zingers as well but I thought they felt like spitfire soft wheels. I’m assuming they’re made by deluxe like spitHDs. I liked them for a minute but once I came up on some ATFs on the cheap I haven’t looked back. They feel so much faster than spits/zingers. They may be a little too soft for my liking but personally I think bones makes a better soft wheel.

Sharkin those Pods look sick
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

ballintoohard

« Reply #1834 on: June 08, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »
any more reviews on Loophole? and any idea where to get them (especially online)?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1835 on: June 08, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
I almost got some and thank god I got OJ Mini Super Juices. Those things are super fast!

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1836 on: June 08, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »
Did anyone get the Spitfire Tablets yet?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1837 on: June 08, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »

Yup. They're good, no real complaints but I think I still prefer radial slims.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1838 on: June 08, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »
I have 52 tablets. They feel as fast as a 53 conical or radial, faster than 53 radial slims, faster than 54 classic. Not scientific. Other than that they look weird at first with how much your axles stick out.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1839 on: June 08, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the sml. Succulent Big Dreams or something similar? Usually ride 99 Spitfire Formula Fours but was thinking 92 might feel good on the crusty SF streets. Don't want to go full cruiser but want to roll over cracks and rough asphalt.

https://www.smlwheels.com/shop/succulent-cruisers-54mm-92a

I have the 92a/54mm wheels. They are too soft for where I skate but I am just rolling in asphalt. The shape is the same as radials, so besides being soft the feel is similar to the F4s, but they do not slide easily. A wheel I had that I liked better was Rain Skates 98a. https://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=11386

I like the wheel sound and you don’t get that with 92a wheels.

imissThink

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1840 on: June 08, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
I've been switching from Bones And Spitfire the last few years, I like the STF Bones..

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1841 on: June 09, 2019, 12:50:21 AM »

put these on my new cruiser. they're pretty nice feeling, only took one ride around with em but they felt solid ollieing up curbs and landing some kickflips, shuvits, and 180s. I don't think I can slide em just yet, but there's definitely potential once they're worn in.

I was contemplating super juice but im glad i went with a more traditional wheel shape and slightly harder duro. These feel like they stick to the pavement just as much but they don't bounce around as badly when you pop

These look very similar to keyframes. If they are able to slide after breaking in that would be super sick.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1842 on: June 10, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
while we are at softer wheels...

i am riding the powell ssf 55mm on my cruiser and really like them.
they are fast (enough) and slide decently. for regular power slides you need a lot of power but they slide.
a bit too wide imo but not too bad. so far best feeling cruiser wheel i've had

PMA

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #1843 on: June 27, 2019, 04:26:08 AM »
I got a set of Ricta Sparx 55mm with a set of trucks I bought a few weeks ago and Im not really impressed. They're not noticeably shitty like ebay blank wheels or anything but just for a 101a 55mm I feel like they're not very fast. I know they still need to break in but I tried some Bones 100's 52mm with the same bearings and they were noticeably faster, quite a bit so actually. Also when I try to slide the Sparx its got this kinda weird feel to it, they break free from grip like a hard wheel but once you're actually sliding they're kinda "choppy" like 90a hybrid mini-logos are. I expect that will improve with time but for now I've just taken them off and I'm keeping them for a backup set.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1844 on: June 27, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
im still shilling ricta naturals as some of the best wheels i've ridden. just as slippy if not arguably more than f4s/stfs (in my opinion but that also comes as a detriment sometimes as theyll slide out when you dont want, once you get used to it and being able to predict them its good), good shape on them and theyre always on sale too.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1845 on: June 27, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
Yeah I posted a review 2 pages back

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1846 on: June 27, 2019, 09:46:33 AM »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1847 on: June 27, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
I bought some Bones Easy Streets Dirty Birds and they ended up causing me to almost fold my leg up because that are so grippy. I guess I am used to that F4 slide you get on some tricks.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1848 on: June 27, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1849 on: June 27, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »
Thinking about skating some orbs next, anyone else tried them?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1850 on: June 27, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
holy shit Steve, those things are fucking tiny.

yep!  they should be fun....or horrible....or horribly fun

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1851 on: June 27, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »

Got the last one of these from a smaller shop. They're fairly hard to find and I know they're gimmick-y but I've always been curious about them.

Also the Boardy Cakes wheels are fun as fuck - I have a set of the 42s and the guy who makes them is a good dude. Hilariously, some dipshit on ebay is trying to pass them off as super rare and sell them for $100. Boardy cakes sells them for $25 on ebay.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1852 on: June 27, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
Thinking about skating some orbs next, anyone else tried them?

Hated them. Had a set right when they came out, they were cored. They were unique in that they managed to combine the shitty parts of a hard wheel, but still be incredibly slow. Looking back it was actually amazing. They felt like not real skate company wheels. I like plenty of creative urethane wheels, f4s for sure, the mike Anderson spitfire wheel is dope. The orbs may have been the worst wheel I’ve ever had. So in conclusion: you should get them, because being the worst is an accomplishment

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1853 on: June 27, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
That’s the stupidest response ever.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1854 on: June 27, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »
That’s the stupidest response ever.

See you agree and employ the ethos

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: June 28, 2019, 04:04:52 AM »
Alright I might be jumping the gun here but after two trips to the store yesterday and my commute to work this morning I feel pretty confident in saying that Little Doodies are the best wheel ever made. These things are just flat out fun. I initially put them on an 8.8 shaped deck but after about two minutes I remembered why I never ride that deck, it has gullwing trucks. It rained a little bit so I moved them over to a 8.25 creature with tensor mag lights that I use as a beater/rain board and ended up turning a quick 5 minute cigarette run into a half hour cruise around the Pitt campus.

These things are the most fun I've had since I started regularly skating again last year. They're 58mm and really soft like a cruiser wheel but they ride unlike any big wheel I've tried before. They're surprisingly really fast and way more stable than I thought they'd be, but still more agile than a normal cruiser wheel. The soft, sticky PU compound they use is amazing for rough streets. I hit some streets that I usually walk even on my normal cruiser wheels and it made them totally bearable, and I was able to just roll over cracks and pebbles without issue. They're really good for getting into slappies although they do grab the curb a lot if you aren't centered on your trucks. I have a broken toe so I didn't do any stairs or anything bigger than a couple curb ollies but they were fine for that, and since it was wet out I was actually able to slide them on fresh blacktop.

All in all I'm super stoked on these wheels and I highly recommend grabbing a set if you see them, especially given how hard they are to find.

TL;DR: Little Doodies are fast and super fun cruiser wheels.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1856 on: June 28, 2019, 04:59:05 AM »
Alright I might be jumping the gun here but after two trips to the store yesterday and my commute to work this morning I feel pretty confident in saying that Little Doodies are the best wheel ever made. These things are just flat out fun. I initially put them on an 8.8 shaped deck but after about two minutes I remembered why I never ride that deck, it has gullwing trucks. It rained a little bit so I moved them over to a 8.25 creature with tensor mag lights that I use as a beater/rain board and ended up turning a quick 5 minute cigarette run into a half hour cruise around the Pitt campus.

These things are the most fun I've had since I started regularly skating again last year. They're 58mm and really soft like a cruiser wheel but they ride unlike any big wheel I've tried before. They're surprisingly really fast and way more stable than I thought they'd be, but still more agile than a normal cruiser wheel. The soft, sticky PU compound they use is amazing for rough streets. I hit some streets that I usually walk even on my normal cruiser wheels and it made them totally bearable, and I was able to just roll over cracks and pebbles without issue. They're really good for getting into slappies although they do grab the curb a lot if you aren't centered on your trucks. I have a broken toe so I didn't do any stairs or anything bigger than a couple curb ollies but they were fine for that, and since it was wet out I was actually able to slide them on fresh blacktop.

All in all I'm super stoked on these wheels and I highly recommend grabbing a set if you see them, especially given how hard they are to find.

I have a set and they’re probably the slowest wheel I’ve tried due to the contact patch being so minimal. Other than that can’t say much about them. Hated them so much that they didn’t stay on for long.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1857 on: June 28, 2019, 05:30:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a set and they’re probably the slowest wheel I’ve tried due to the contact patch being so minimal. Other than that can’t say much about them. Hated them so much that they didn’t stay on for long.

Are you sure it wasn't your bearings or something else? They're slower than a hard wheel on smooth ground just due to being soft but a small contact patch isn't actually necessarily bad for speed, at least once you get going. Less contact = less friction (this is, amongst other reasons, why racing/road bike tires are very thin and hard), although obviously there's a lot of other factors that go into it. They're definitely faster than my regular cruiser wheels which are about the same durometer and a slightly larger diameter, using the same bearings and setup.

I'm not saying you're wrong or trying to invalidate your experience, but mine has been very different at least thus far, which is admittedly a very short test period.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1858 on: June 28, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
...Less contact = less friction...
This is not true, surface area doesn't increase friction. You can have a lighter wheel with a larger contact patch and it will have less friction than a heavier wheel with a smaller contact patch.

"Although a larger area of contact between two surfaces would create a larger source of frictional forces, it also reduces the pressure between the two surfaces for a given force holding them together. Since pressure equals force divided by the area of contact, it works out that the increase in friction generating area is exactly offset by the reduction in pressure; the resulting frictional forces, then, are dependent only on the frictional coefficient of the materials and the FORCE holding them together.

If you were to increase the force as you increased the area to keep PRESSURE the same, then increasing the area WOULD increase the frictional force between the two surfaces."

Paul Walorski, B.A. Physics

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1859 on: June 28, 2019, 09:01:13 AM »
it's never as straight forward as a simple physics textbook or definition

when you're rolling a wheel and quickly redistribute the weight and press it at an angle it so it breaks into a slide, there are more variables at play.

what you describe works for sled runners or if a skateboard wheel was permanently sliding, but the break between roll/slide is heavily affected by width of the contact patch, and that's what people are talking about when they talk wheel "friction".