Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128769 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »
I've ran both, as well as with Thunders; with Indy the weight reduction with that pig of a baseplate is negligible regardless of hanger, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference when skating; there's a reason they pair ti axles with forged hollow bases, to net the most weight reduction and frankly those running standards give no fucks about weight. Ti hangers with Thunder team plates it's fantastic (what I'm running now).

I know some prefer the feel of solid pins, but personally I've never noticed a difference in cast plates, but def feel the hollow vs solid axle, especially on grinds, even with Ti; If I had to ride indy cast plates it would be the hollow pins/ti axles.

I'm just a poosy and can't run 55mm standards (and I don't roll anything over 54mm so forged indys are fine, I stick with the max wheel size determined by truck height usually, so the forged at 53.5 are good enough for me up to 54mm..which go to 53mm super fast anyway).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:14:09 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2022, 04:02:50 PM »

That is the best thing with all the options, as they really do cater to many different tastes.

I prefer bigger wheels and more clearance so the standards are definitely my go to over anything else, but others I know are all about the weight - ti axle, forged baseplates on bigger boards especially, with others doing the mix and match thing, which works when they have access or swap back certain parts with me anyway.

Mids have their place, but again they are something I am happy not to really touch apart from trying used sets from others.

Given the low versions are no longer being made, they are not part of the mix which does make it easier, but the Stage 11 low trucks I have are the same baseplates, just shorter kingpin and shorter bushing, much like the aftermarket low tops I usually use, so things were still interchangeable in that regard too.

I am still curious to see a set of the new releases in person for those bigger 215 cut down trucks, but don't have any desire to go out and find them or order from USA when I have so many normal Stage 11 trucks that work perfectly for everything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2022, 07:31:58 PM »
I've ran both, as well as with Thunders; with Indy the weight reduction with that pig of a baseplate is negligible regardless of hanger, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference when skating; there's a reason they pair ti axles with forged hollow bases, to net the most weight reduction and frankly those running standards give no fucks about weight. Ti hangers with Thunder team plates it's fantastic (what I'm running now).

I know some prefer the feel of solid pins, but personally I've never noticed a difference in cast plates, but def feel the hollow vs solid axle, especially on grinds, even with Ti; If I had to ride indy cast plates it would be the hollow pins/ti axles.

I'm just a poosy and can't run 55mm standards (and I don't roll anything over 54mm so forged indys are fine, I stick with the max wheel size determined by truck height usually, so the forged at 53.5 are good enough for me up to 54mm..which go to 53mm super fast anyway).

I was able to get away with 56mm classics in forged plates. Had to tighten up a little bit it was doable. Def had some solid wheelbite marks, but the pinch was good haha.

I hardly have any wheelbite on standard plates, even on brand new 56mm classics.

Simmoz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2022, 07:36:42 AM »
Hi all,

Thunder user dabbling with Indy-

Baseplate from a 144 forged hollow should work fine with the hanger from a 149 standard?

Have just put this combo together and getting annoying click from the pivot cup driving me crazy.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »
Hi all,

Baseplate from a 144 forged hollow should work fine with the hanger from a 149 standard?

Have just put this combo together and getting annoying click from the pivot cup driving me crazy.

Yes no issues there. It could be your washers clicking.

IpathCats

« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »
Hi all,

Like @Paperclip20 said, it might be your washers. if there is a lot of play on them around the kingpin, once the pressure is applied from tightening the bushings down they can kind of snap back and forth when you turn, causing a clicking sound. Could also be your bushings spilling over the washers when you turn and snapping back under when you come to center (more likely if using new bushings). could also be a loose or warped pivot cup too.

I'd suggest cleaning all points where two parts meet, bushings, bushing seat/pivot nub on your hangers, washers, pivot cups, baseplate where it touches the washer, with rubbing alcohol. Then use a qtip and some motor oil to give all of those surfaces you just cleaned the LIGHTEST possible coat of lube. it should hardly look like theres anything on them, do not go overboard. The lube should hardly be visible.

Simmoz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »
Ok I assumed pivot cups were noise culprit as they seem a lot less snug in there than my thunders. I’ll lube everything up as suggested cheers

IpathCats

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »
Ok I assumed pivot cups were noise culprit as they seem a lot less snug in there than my thunders. I’ll lube everything up as suggested cheers

They very well could be, but there are other possibilities

make sure you clean first! very important.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2022, 11:23:32 AM »
Anyone see anything more about those new hanger designs that were floating around? Looked like 215 hanger but normal width. Or am I tripping and that's just people modifying them?

IpathCats

« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2022, 11:39:01 AM »
Anyone see anything more about those new hanger designs that were floating around? Looked like 215 hanger but normal width. Or am I tripping and that's just people modifying them?

supposedly they will mimic stage 4 geo and have different sizing starting just above 8.5" wide. that's about all we know right now

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2022, 12:12:36 PM »
thanks for the info!

IpathCats

« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
thanks for the info!

no prob, come back if you find anymore. I'll try to update the first post with anything useful

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2022, 06:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote
thanks for the info!
[close]

no prob, come back if you find anymore. I'll try to update the first post with anything useful

From the truck thread, which hasn't been posted in for a couple of weeks, there are quite a few pics and links to the Indy Stage 4 reissues, as they call them.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3857968#msg3857968

From what I understand of the casting process, you can't just make a truck shorter, but you have to make a whole new hanger mold.

As to the shape of these hangers, anyone with a set of 215s can turn them on a certain angle and see more or less the exact same front shape with the supported wings running back on an angle.  They might look a little different because the 215 are such a wide truck and these others are not that wide, so the extra wings make them look really solid and different.

The listings and almost all pics online really don't show the truck from the angle that you see when looking at people's boards, but you can check these anyway.

Maybe the best overall pics:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-trucks-c18/independent-stage-11-215-skateboard-trucks-10-p20370

Second pic from NHS

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-4-polished-skateboard-trucks-independent

This might be closest of any other normal pics anyway:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3857538#msg3857538

@southphillytapwater got the goods here:

I asked Elijah what size these new Indy's were and he said they're 151's, which are slightly bigger than 149's. I also asked him when they come out and he said he isn't sure.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #343 on: December 10, 2022, 08:03:04 AM »
What was his excuse for his sad choice of record players? 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #344 on: December 11, 2022, 07:07:23 AM »
I’m seriously disappointed that they won’t be doing a ~144 size. This size has been the best new product from Indy in decades and it’s basically all I skate, and I would absolutely snap up a pair of these in 144.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #345 on: December 11, 2022, 07:25:23 PM »
Hello all, I am pleased to see this thread pop up on my computer screen

I grew up an Indy ogre; my first indies were a set of stage 10 geoff rowley maroon/black dogshit trucks that were heavy as fuck. good times i had that on a mike carrol board 8.18 back when girl skateboards sucked cock (2012ish)

I recently started skating more again and want to concisely tell you what i learned about other trucks before coming to my current choice of truck right now, all are suited more or less for 8.38-8.5 decks:

Ace 44 (classic), before AF1:
- very easy transition from indy 139, decent pop on high kick decks, great turn, great lock in but meh pinch, great grind
- not much different from indy except they turn a bit more and feel more dogshit on mellow decks

Thunder 149:
- terrible without risers and any wheel above 52mm; too much wheelbite
- after 1/8 riser and 55mm wheel treatment became a beast; bad for grinds (metal sucks), light as fuck, good pinch
- turn is great after risers, restricted without them but doable

Venture 5.8:
- great for decks... make any board feel lie plank of wood
- turning feels primitive and you have to finesse it instead of feel it turn
- self sabotaging truck... kind of weird feeling but primitive and tribal
- good for linear interactions, good pinch, ass turn, style changing truck

indy hollow 149 (not forged plate, only hollow kingpin/axle):
- elite truck, works good on 57mm wheels without risers
- bushings are dogshit for all these trucks except for ace
- makes mellow or steep decks feel good and tolerable
- light enough.
- grind great, baseplate

hence this is why i must return to tribal mouth-gaping independent-truck worshipping ogredom, because its such a good truck that will last years.

tthe issue with ace was they destroyed themselves, they were ass quality. the tunders lasted not long due to no meat on the hanger, the ventures turned to dogshit. independents age well.

IpathCats

« Reply #346 on: December 12, 2022, 05:38:37 AM »
Hello all, I am pleased to see this thread pop up on my computer screen

I grew up an Indy ogre; my first indies were a set of stage 10 geoff rowley maroon/black dogshit trucks that were heavy as fuck. good times i had that on a mike carrol board 8.18 back when girl skateboards sucked cock (2012ish)

I recently started skating more again and want to concisely tell you what i learned about other trucks before coming to my current choice of truck right now, all are suited more or less for 8.38-8.5 decks:

Ace 44 (classic), before AF1:
- very easy transition from indy 139, decent pop on high kick decks, great turn, great lock in but meh pinch, great grind
- not much different from indy except they turn a bit more and feel more dogshit on mellow decks

Thunder 149:
- terrible without risers and any wheel above 52mm; too much wheelbite
- after 1/8 riser and 55mm wheel treatment became a beast; bad for grinds (metal sucks), light as fuck, good pinch
- turn is great after risers, restricted without them but doable

Venture 5.8:
- great for decks... make any board feel lie plank of wood
- turning feels primitive and you have to finesse it instead of feel it turn
- self sabotaging truck... kind of weird feeling but primitive and tribal
- good for linear interactions, good pinch, ass turn, style changing truck

indy hollow 149 (not forged plate, only hollow kingpin/axle):
- elite truck, works good on 57mm wheels without risers
- bushings are dogshit for all these trucks except for ace
- makes mellow or steep decks feel good and tolerable
- light enough.
- grind great, baseplate

hence this is why i must return to tribal mouth-gaping independent-truck worshipping ogredom, because its such a good truck that will last years.

tthe issue with ace was they destroyed themselves, they were ass quality. the tunders lasted not long due to no meat on the hanger, the ventures turned to dogshit. independents age well.

These experiences are basically the same as mine.

Welcome back to ogre pack

IpathCats

« Reply #347 on: December 14, 2022, 12:26:53 PM »
BREAKING NEWS!

I have a lifetime (literally never ridden another truck) thunder rider interested in indys after skating a curb spot with him the other day. He was envious of how much farther i was grinding.

IDK what to suggest to him though. I think the mids will be too heavy for him and the forged mids will be too low (but maybe run them with a riser?)

Im thinking to suggest 144 titaniums and get him to size his wheels down a mm or 2.

If im being entirely honest though, im kind of thinking about telling him to just stick to his thunders since he is so dialed on them. Dude is a ripper, very good, very tech, like a diet mark suicu. I feel like the swap to indys will either be the worst or the best thing to ever happen to him haha. And i dont wanna be responsible for it if he hates them and wastes all that $ on titanium indys lol

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2022, 12:49:35 PM »
BREAKING NEWS!

I have a lifetime (literally never ridden another truck) thunder rider interested in indys after skating a curb spot with him the other day. He was envious of how much farther i was grinding.

IDK what to suggest to him though. I think the mids will be too heavy for him and the forged mids will be too low (but maybe run them with a riser?)

Im thinking to suggest 144 titaniums and get him to size his wheels down a mm or 2.

If im being entirely honest though, im kind of thinking about telling him to just stick to his thunders since he is so dialed on them. Dude is a ripper, very good, very tech, like a diet mark suicu. I feel like the swap to indys will either be the worst or the best thing to ever happen to him haha. And i dont wanna be responsible for it if he hates them and wastes all that $ on titanium indys lol

TI or Forged hollows for sure...putting a thunder rider on standards...you might as well put them on a 10x30 re-issue with no nose.

Unpopular take: Have him try out the [new] royals ultralights...very easy transition from thunders with pretty much the benefit of an indy-ish turn with thunder stabily (and height depending on what he skates).

IpathCats

« Reply #349 on: December 14, 2022, 01:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
BREAKING NEWS!

[close]

TI or Forged hollows for sure...putting a thunder rider on standards...you might as well put them on a 10x30 re-issue with no nose.

Unpopular take: Have him try out the [new] royals ultralights...very easy transition from thunders with pretty much the benefit of an indy-ish turn with thunder stabily (and height depending on what he skates).

Yea, weight/height were my biggest concerns, he skates the standard baseplate thunders, team hollows when he can get them.

Havent ridden them, but from what ive heard the new royals are def closer to thunders. However, his main reason for wanting to try indys was the grind. I was hoping we would discover the turn afterwards and really fall in love lol.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #350 on: December 14, 2022, 01:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
BREAKING NEWS!

[close]

Forged Hollows. TI is only like %5 lighter than those, and the height is close to the same Thunder Teams. What he will be the most amazed at, is how effortless nose/tail slides will become, because he won't have to worry about wheels catching (b/c of Thunder's short baseplates).
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #351 on: December 14, 2022, 01:47:29 PM »
BREAKING NEWS!

Tell him, "One more push is better than adjusting to  new trucks."

LebowskisRug

« Reply #352 on: December 14, 2022, 02:02:22 PM »
BREAKING NEWS!

This is very strange considering his skill level. I skate ledges and curbs with people on other truck brands and have no issues grinding the same distance and even further for a few tricks. I've not found the grind on Thunders to be lacking and most curbs are so sauced and waxed it seems like it should be less of an issue and he would have the skill to be able to adjust whatever it is he's doing wrong.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #353 on: December 14, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »
If he’s good, I suspect it won’t matter…..Indy raws….I think Ben Degros rips these pretty regularly and he’s just as nuts as most of us…..

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #354 on: December 14, 2022, 06:15:52 PM »
I’m saying forged hollows. Close to the same height and idk the weight but I assume it’s gotta be kinda close.

Also I really enjoyed skating royals. Probably more than thunders and I feel nose slides slid better in royals  than Indy’s. But something about Indy’s just feel right. But if I ever axle these Indy’s I plan on spending more time on the royals.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #355 on: December 14, 2022, 07:25:46 PM »
Expand Quote
BREAKING NEWS!

[close]

But he wants to grind far and in my experience and the experience of many others here, the grind absolutely does not compare to Indy.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #356 on: December 14, 2022, 08:02:50 PM »
Forged Indy 144 (not mids) have a very similar wheelbase and pop feel as cast Thunder 148. I found this out when my deck was starting to feel mushy and I swapped the trucks out and the pop felt the exact same.

IpathCats

« Reply #357 on: December 15, 2022, 05:30:04 AM »
If he’s good, I suspect it won’t matter…..Indy raws….I think Ben Degros rips these pretty regularly and he’s just as nuts as most of us…..

He's a rather thin dude pretty average height, was skating an 8in deck/trucks for the longest time, he def prefers a lighter setup when possible.

I pushed him to try 8.25 and he was SUPER hesitant at first, but he loves it now and thanks me regularly for getting him on a more "comfy" setup.

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #358 on: December 15, 2022, 06:37:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's a rather thin dude pretty average height, was skating an 8in deck/trucks for the longest time, he def prefers a lighter setup when possible.

I pushed him to try 8.25 and he was SUPER hesitant at first, but he loves it now and thanks me regularly for getting him on a more "comfy" setup.

If youre in the US, Sunland has a good deal right now on Knox forged hollows if he can stomach the graphics and blue baseplate, $30.  Last I checked they had 144 and 149 available.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #359 on: December 15, 2022, 06:51:17 AM »
I feel like pushing people to change their setup isn't a cool move at all. Unless it's a really stupid setup that hurts their skating. If they want to change and look for advice, sure let the madness-knowledge flow, but never push it.

I wish I never knew...