Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 469385 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5490 on: May 23, 2024, 08:31:23 PM »

In other German news, Hansi Flick to Barcelona!

Not familiar with German stuff but is the guy good?
Barca has been putting me through the ringer and my Real Madrid friends have got me tired lol
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #5491 on: May 23, 2024, 08:44:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Barca has been putting me through the ringer and my Real Madrid friends have got me tired lol

It’s not official - it’s kinda based on whether Xavi actually leaves

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5492 on: May 24, 2024, 08:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s not official - it’s kinda based on whether Xavi actually leaves

Just saw the post. Xavi is leaving.
I feel bad for the guy. Loved the era of Barca when he played and I feel like it maybe was just the wrong time. Maybe it was too soon or the financial situation.

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #5493 on: May 24, 2024, 12:34:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Won the sextuple with Bayern during covid but failed with German national team.
Make of that what you will.

In other managerial news, fare thee well ETH.
It truly was fun while it lasted.

Pastasash

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5494 on: May 25, 2024, 10:28:42 AM »
Man Utd FA glory! LFG ETH IN, stick with the process and see the results like today. What a great way to end this horrible season.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5495 on: May 25, 2024, 05:56:27 PM »
Why the fuck haven't these guys played like this all season!?!? Some of them have been injured, but this is by far the best defensive match they've had. Watching Pep stress drink water was pretty hilarious.

The only real problem I have with ETH is that when things go sideways, you like to the sidelines and he just looks like he has no idea how to course correct. I don't know if sacking him is the right move, but I do hope that Ratcliffe is the right person to start turning things around. I think he will be, since he is not only financially invested in the club, but emotionally as well.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5496 on: May 25, 2024, 06:31:30 PM »
Why the fuck haven't these guys played like this all season!?!? Some of them have been injured, but this is by far the best defensive match they've had. Watching Pep stress drink water was pretty hilarious.

The only real problem I have with ETH is that when things go sideways, you like to the sidelines and he just looks like he has no idea how to course correct. I don't know if sacking him is the right move, but I do hope that Ratcliffe is the right person to start turning things around. I think he will be, since he is not only financially invested in the club, but emotionally as well.

From a nemesis’s perspective : ETH strikes me as having a Brendan Rogers style ego.   I think he thinks he’s a genius and a brilliant man manager but he seems long on excuses and scapegoating players for any missteps.   Ronaldo he was right about, but not with Sancho.   

That said, I wouldn’t get rid of him.   Too many vacancies that I don’t necessarily think there’s anyone that is significant enough of an upgrade.   

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5497 on: May 26, 2024, 07:09:16 AM »
Any french guys here who have an opinion on ASSE? How would you rate their chances to join ligue 1 again? Are they any good?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #5498 on: May 26, 2024, 08:00:05 AM »
Any french guys here who have an opinion on ASSE? How would you rate their chances to join ligue 1 again? Are they any good?
They are up. They won Friday.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5499 on: May 26, 2024, 10:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They are up. They won Friday.

Well than I don't understand the french system at all. I thought they still have to face Metz

D10S

• Rep: -61
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #5500 on: May 29, 2024, 12:00:42 PM »

getting giddy for saturday. Fully backing Borussia but if toni kroos lifts the cup as he hangs the boots, I won't be mad...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5501 on: May 29, 2024, 12:45:17 PM »

getting giddy for saturday. Fully backing Borussia but if toni kroos lifts the cup as he hangs the boots, I won't be mad...

Reus needs it.  Kroos already has what?  Five?

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5502 on: May 29, 2024, 12:55:47 PM »
Let Dortmund take the CL, then Kroos can have the Euros with Germany (and hel'll probably take the Ballon d'Or as well if that happens). And that's coming from a Dutchman.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5503 on: May 29, 2024, 01:34:25 PM »
Dortmund, they deserve it please..

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5504 on: May 29, 2024, 03:57:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From a nemesis’s perspective : ETH strikes me as having a Brendan Rogers style ego.   I think he thinks he’s a genius and a brilliant man manager but he seems long on excuses and scapegoating players for any missteps.   Ronaldo he was right about, but not with Sancho.   

That said, I wouldn’t get rid of him.   Too many vacancies that I don’t necessarily think there’s anyone that is significant enough of an upgrade.

I wouldn't say ten Hag has a huge ego. He's stubborn and humourless/characterless, and really shit in his communication with fans, journalists, pundits, etc. A part of that is the language barrier (his English is un-Dutchlike shit, although I think he thinks it's pretty fucking good), but at Utrecht and Ajax he wasn't that much different; just weirdly (considering his job) limited in his vocabulary and pretty ineloquent, but at the same time really bad at keeping things short and concise. A deadly combination.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't have been suprised if ten Hag had moved to Bayern. It's a bold and desperate choice, but not as bold and desperate as Kompany. Plus he was the manager of Bayern's second team for a while. Ah well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 04:05:27 PM by ThatIsNotCricket »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5505 on: May 29, 2024, 06:40:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wouldn't say ten Hag has a huge ego. He's stubborn and humourless/characterless, and really shit in his communication with fans, journalists, pundits, etc. A part of that is the language barrier (his English is un-Dutchlike shit, although I think he thinks it's pretty fucking good), but at Utrecht and Ajax he wasn't that much different; just weirdly (considering his job) limited in his vocabulary and pretty ineloquent, but at the same time really bad at keeping things short and concise. A deadly combination.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't have been suprised if ten Hag had moved to Bayern. It's a bold and desperate choice, but not as bold and desperate as Kompany. Plus he was the manager of Bayern's second team for a while. Ah well.

Fair enough.  He recently said, “they can fire me and I’ll go win trophies elsewhere” and I just thought that was an amazing quote. 

BM would have been an interesting choice and not as weird considering they were pursuing that guy who preceded ETH at Man U until he decided to stay with the the Austrian NT (?).   Ralf Ragnick I think, who seemed like he just popped up out of nowhere, but then I again I’m not as plugged into continental soccer happenings

D10S

« Reply #5506 on: May 29, 2024, 07:38:08 PM »

Crazy to realize Klopp, Hummels, Gundogan, Reus and Lewandowski were in the BVB squad in 2013.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5507 on: May 29, 2024, 10:47:32 PM »

Crazy to realize Klopp, Hummels, Gundogan, Reus and Lewandowski were in the BVB squad in 2013.

Gotze too, no?

People will be looking at that Bellingham/Haaland side the same way. 

I was always bummed Klopp never pulling in Reus to Liverpool (or any Dortmund player for that matter) but I respect that isn’t his way

D10S

« Reply #5508 on: May 30, 2024, 06:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gotze too, no?

People will be looking at that Bellingham/Haaland side the same way. 

I was always bummed Klopp never pulling in Reus to Liverpool (or any Dortmund player for that matter) but I respect that isn’t his way

Yes Gotze too! Except he did not get to play the CL final vs Bayern Munich. Bender was also a promising alumni but he went to Juventus and faded away...

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/borussia-dortmund-champions-league-finalists-2013-where-are-they-now-lewandowski-klopp-27291

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5509 on: May 30, 2024, 07:02:57 AM »
Leeds just signed with RedBull for their jersey sponsor/minor share owner, not sure it's better than betting bullshit, but at least the name didn't change to RB Leeds..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5510 on: May 30, 2024, 07:39:32 AM »
Leeds just signed with RedBull for their jersey sponsor/minor share owner, not sure it's better than betting bullshit, but at least the name didn't change to RB Leeds..

Does the EPL have the same branding rules as Bundesliga?   Presumably they could just be Red Bull Leeds and not pretend RB stands for a sport

(That said, I like Leeds to be relevant bc of their history, but I’m not wild if it overhauls their identity)

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2529
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5511 on: May 30, 2024, 08:36:44 AM »
Nah, that would be awful, for all the obvious reasons that come up when modern football is discussed.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5512 on: May 30, 2024, 11:43:24 AM »
Yeah fuck renaming clubs, stadiums also.. modern football sucks. Red Bull sucks also. Not sure how they get away with owning several clubs and parts of others....

D10S

« Reply #5513 on: May 30, 2024, 12:30:54 PM »
Borussia has toppled giants in a CL final before!

(that del piero touch was sublime)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5514 on: May 30, 2024, 04:36:16 PM »
Yeah fuck renaming clubs, stadiums also.. modern football sucks. Red Bull sucks also. Not sure how they get away with owning several clubs and parts of others....

There are several consortiums that own tons of teams.  It only becomes an issue if they’re in the same tourney like Man City and Gironde in the CL next year

Edit: “girona”.   Weird autocorrect
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 11:21:20 PM by Atiba Applebum »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5515 on: May 30, 2024, 10:36:33 PM »

This got a chuckle out of me

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5516 on: May 30, 2024, 11:37:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are several consortiums that own tons of teams.  It only becomes an issue if they’re in the same tourney like Man City and Gironde in the CL next year

Edit: “girona”.   Weird autocorrect
Or Man U and Nice in Europa League...

D10S

« Reply #5517 on: May 31, 2024, 06:44:22 AM »
Mourinho to Fenerbahçe!

Also, Joao Felix's rep in talks with Man U.