Author Topic: ACL  (Read 41421 times)

Re: ACL
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »
I have found out that my ACL and the cartilage in my knee is beyond fucked up. As it stands at the moment, I can walk without crutches but every step is something god awful. When sitting down in chair or whatever....I can barely lift my knee to make it straight. For some reason today though I was able to hop on a board and push with it switch. It felt good. I have zero pop and can't ollie or do anything at the moment though. I am not trying to make it worse. I realise that I'm 35 and my days on board are probably really numbered and that hurts by itself because skating is something I've put 23 years of my life into and still love it. That is also why I like to come here and stay on top of shit. Anyways, I hope everyone out there dealing with kind of junk can stay up and try to think positive. I try but it gets me down too. Take care fellas...

Silent Bob.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
Shit, sorry to hear that man. All I can say is that it is fixable, so get it sorted. If it isn't that easy due to medical bills, then I'd really toy with the idea of moving somewhere with free healthcare (eg canada?) for a bit, and then getting it fixed there. That's probably wayy too simplistic, but what I'm trying to say is that it really sounds like you need to get it fixed, and that there's no need to get down as you'll be on a board for years to come with no problems if you get it done

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »
Can you still skate if you tear your acl and just work out the muscles surrounding it?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2010, 07:09:20 PM »
Can you still skate if you tear your acl and just work out the muscles surrounding it?

Short answer-no. The muscles might help keep your knee together, which is usually one of the ACL's jobs, but the pain will be unbearable whenever you try to do tricks. And the major problem is the ACL is very important with bending and straightening your leg as well as supporting it, so if you try to fuck around with it still torn, then you're going to mess up the cartilage/meniscus, as well as the other ligaments in your knee.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
so if i can do kickflips without any pain after a month of rest...  maybe i didn't even tear my acl?

Say Hi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
If it's possible for you, go see a doc and get an MRI. I don't really know how insurance things work in the US but if that's in any way manageable for you, do it. Like oyolar said, you'll fuck things up even more if you keep skating with the torn ligament. Just not worth it in the long run.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »
no insurance, not happening yet

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
so if i can do kickflips without any pain after a month of rest...  maybe i didn't even tear my acl?

That's hard to tell that happened to me too, but then one trick i landed wrong i completely made it worse after a month or so rest.

I just tore/really hurt my meniscus again i think, R.I.C.E for me. The first time it worked so i am hoping this time it'll work also.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
I have found out that my ACL and the cartilage in my knee is beyond fucked up. As it stands at the moment, I can walk without crutches but every step is something god awful. When sitting down in chair or whatever....I can barely lift my knee to make it straight. For some reason today though I was able to hop on a board and push with it switch. It felt good. I have zero pop and can't ollie or do anything at the moment though. I am not trying to make it worse. I realise that I'm 35 and my days on board are probably really numbered and that hurts by itself because skating is something I've put 23 years of my life into and still love it. That is also why I like to come here and stay on top of shit. Anyways, I hope everyone out there dealing with kind of junk can stay up and try to think positive. I try but it gets me down too. Take care fellas...

naw

im only one knee deep and still 21, but my pops has done two complete tears left knee two complete tears right before they even knew how to do the surgeries properly and hes 55 - plays competitive soccer, skis gnarly shit, etc etc.

get the surgery and ride the bike/swim/go to the gym and never ever stop. it sucks if youre someone like me who never did any of those things before surgery but it beats doing nothing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »

If you can do shit like that, then no, you probably didn't tear it. Granted, I didn't exactly tear my ACL (I broke off the bone loop the ACL uses to hook onto the shin bone and then cut the other 2 ligaments), but I did a stationary ollie and was on the ground almost in tears. So doing anything with no pain sounds like a good sign to me. BUT, once you can, make sure to get it checked out so you don't screw yourself over in the long run.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies, hopefully I can find a way to get an affordable mri soon.

Silent Bob.

« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2010, 01:06:43 PM »
I wouldn't advise you to keep an eye out for any corporate premesis with water or something similar on the floor, "slip" over and sue the shit out of them so that you get the scan done.. that would be unethical...

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
ive torn my acl 3 times now and its been my experience that walking around and bending the knee feels fine after about two weeks after the injury (before the surgery). ive done a few tricks on a torn acl and no it doesnt always hurt but the thing is if you land on your bad leg even a little bit off center your knee will just buckle. it may not hurt but you cant really skate on a torn acl.

also, even if your acl doesnt turn out to be torn theres a good chance youve already weakened it and should probably be careful skating, maybe get a brace. its common for acl tears to happen in two incidents, one that weakens the tissue and then another that fully tears it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:10:03 PM by ROCKxADIO420 »

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
walking down stairs hurts

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »
i was watching that chris cole thign where he tries to 360 flip raul wallenburg 60 times or whatever and i was getting so stoked like "fuck this summer i am going to start skating stairs again and just jumping down it 100 times til i get it" and now i am hearing all this shit i am having 2nd thoughts about all that. i dont know if gnarly skating is really for me anymore. there is this crazy handrail by my house that only rollerbladers have done and i am super convinced i can 5050 it and im pretty sure no one has ever even thought about hitting it on a skateboard and it would be really rad. i am lucky i have hardly ever gotten hurt skating especially the last 5 years or so, but i think i have a lot better understanding of my ability level as well, but i think i have also been a lot more of a pussy too.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
i fell really awkwardly on my left leg with my knee locked and it just twisted and popped, the drop wasn't much taller than 5ft but my fat ass was enough to make me buckle

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
sounds pretty much like exactly the kind of fall thats torn my acl every time, also every time ive gone to an orthopedist one of the first things they ask  me is if i heard/felt a pop right when it happened or a little after.
its kind of hard to do to yourself, but the lachmans test is a pretty easy way to tell if you tore your acl or not. make sure your muscles n shit are relaxed, then basically just grab your thigh with one hand, above the knee, and your shin right below the knee cap with your other and apply pressure on each in opposite directions. if you can feel a considerable amount of give, like if you can move each part of your leg independently, then you probably tore something. im not sure if thats understandable but yeah whatever you did definitely does not sound good.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:17:46 PM by ROCKxADIO420 »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »
i tore my MCL early this year and heard a loud pop.  you can get the pop from other ligaments too apparently.  i felt lucky to get the MCL tear because i didn't need surgery .   i joined a gym to recuperate my knee and now i feel like my legs and knees are better than ever .

for anyone reading this who hasn't had an injury i would strongly recommend stretching a lot.  stay flexible .  and, exercise your knees.  you don't have to join a gym but having more muscle supporting your knees is a good thing - there are lots of exercises for that like stairs or bike etc..

i'm tempted to start doing yoga (especially after reading that Ramondetta interview.   though it still seems kind of..  what's the word?  gay
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
been to the doc, he said that he couldn't tell for sure but that there was "some" play there, could be stretched and/or torn

p.s. yoga is def. one of the best things for you

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
So I got an MRI, and its torn. Time to go under the knife.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:55:02 PM by viva hate »

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
enjoy your pain meds and seriously dont try to skate before youre fully healed.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2010, 12:19:31 AM »
dont try to skate before youre fully healed.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:05 AM »
Just got my reconstruction yesterday. Feels so good to finally know that I'll skate again.

edit: pic
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:38:16 PM by viva hate »

Silent Bob.

« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
Nice battle scar! Just be patient and you'll be rolling again - in fact you've GOT to roll again to get over the mental shit. Mine almost seems like a bad dream now - it doesn't hold me back at all aside from knowing I'll never be comping Reynolds on big sets. Hang in there man, the worst is over :)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:56 PM »
Nice battle scar! Just be patient and you'll be rolling again - in fact you've GOT to roll again to get over the mental shit. Mine almost seems like a bad dream now - it doesn't hold me back at all aside from knowing I'll never be comping Reynolds on big sets. Hang in there man, the worst is over :)
Thx for the encouragement, it's been 2'weeks and i can feel the strength slowly coming back. I should be back on board in no time! Cannot wait to grab a new deck and wheels to hit the streets.

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »
ACL going under the knife.  Any rehab tips?
hit up cliff if you havnt already he knows his shit

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2010, 01:59:21 PM »
almost 3 months since the surgery, skating flat and it feels great

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
almost 3 months since the surgery, skating flat and it feels great

word to your mother.

keep on the leg rehab exercises and stretch and stay limber
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2012, 05:45:31 AM »
Ok, here's my history.

Like 8 years ago I hurt my knee jumping some shit, after some weeks it got better and I started skating again, after some time I started feeling some pain in the same knee when I stepped the fucked leg at some kind of way.

After that, everything was smooth, skating almost everyday without any complain, 4 months ago I hurt it really bad doing a fucking boardslide in a stupid flatbar. Went to the doctor, got the MRI today and read it myself, there's a lot of fucked up shit there... next doctor appointment is in the end of this month.

Shit, I can't do any tricks because I feel my knee is kind of separate from my leg. Nothing hurts while walking though, unless I step my foot in some way, then I feel the sharp pain in my knee.

Let's see what doctor says when he sees the MRI. I am sure I will need surgery. I am 30 years old, it's been hella boring not to skate.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
Got my surgery done two weeks ago. Just started physiotherapy today. Hope get back skateing in 8 months or something. Stocked!