Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 358417 times)

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i like the show but i wish Crob would stop trying to be funny so much. because hes bad at it. id love to see radrat or wes kremer on the show
[close]

Wes Kremer was on the bunt and it was the most empty headed california bro idiot conversation I've ever heard
[close]

I remember being excited to listen but that dude seemed totally fried
[close]

there was an interview in i think thrasher where he was interviewed by evan smith and i could physically feel my brain degrading as i read it

I swear at times he has moments of clarity where you can tell he’s actually pretty smart. He just enjoys the fried life.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

michael scarn

« Reply #391 on: January 16, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
Sometimes they cannot make it clearer that they put zero effort into the weekly guest. Nothing personal to him, but I don’t think most people really give a rats ass what Rick Kosick has been up to in the last few months.

Also, they have zero consistency with their Covid precautions. For the main show, they don’t have people in person for the time being to play it safe (totally understandable and respectable), yet they still have extra in person guests on the experience (I.e Dilo after he went pro).
To be clear, I’m in favor of playing it safe with the pandemic, but it almost seems as if they’re using it as a convenient happenstance excuse to not have to find new guests for the main show.

Agreed. Like when they had nyjah on. Of all people in skateboarding to have on the show, they choose Nyjah. Idiots.

CurbyPuckit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -39
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2021, 04:31:03 AM »
Sometimes they cannot make it clearer that they put zero effort into the weekly guest. Nothing personal to him, but I don’t think most people really give a rats ass what Rick Kosick has been up to in the last few months.

Also, they have zero consistency with their Covid precautions. For the main show, they don’t have people in person for the time being to play it safe (totally understandable and respectable), yet they still have extra in person guests on the experience (I.e Dilo after he went pro).
To be clear, I’m in favor of playing it safe with the pandemic, but it almost seems as if they’re using it as a convenient happenstance excuse to not have to find new guests for the main show.

^^^^
I’ve thought the same thing.  Saying they’re unable to have guests on the show, but then damn near every other week they have someone stop by.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
  • Free Max B
« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2021, 05:44:50 AM »
At this point the nine club is irrelevant. Bunch of dudes that haven’t actually skated in years and a man who calls himself Steezus sounding less intelligible weekly.. I guess crob started skating those little curbs again look fun but kinda crazy that guy is a pro skateboarder still. Unless Craig really thinks that podcast is moving pallets of pampelmoose lacroix boards.

Roger really was the only redeeming member of nine club. He should go on the bunt and explain why the shits gone so downhill.
The bunt on the other hand is easily the best skateboard podcast. Not really even debatable at this point.

I haven’t tried listening to whatever the fuck that podcast with switchbackTed Ryan lay and those god awful cringington skatekitchen ladies. But I probably won’t ever listen to that one. Seems like it’s just a bunch of inside jokes about pants and getting a college degree type shit. Not for me

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

^^^^
I’ve thought the same thing.  Saying they’re unable to have guests on the show, but then damn near every other week they have someone stop by.

It makes zero sense. I asked Kelly about this on one of his Instagram livestreams, and he read the question, smiled (but you could tell he was pissed), and just went “you know what guys, love you but streams over,” and stopped the stream.

I actually do like the nine club guys a lot (minus the village idiot Eldridge, and know it all contrarian Steezus), but Kelly seemed to get pretty upset about it when I brought it up, so who knows what the deal is.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #395 on: January 18, 2021, 05:24:35 AM »
They're doing commercials now. Barf.

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #396 on: January 18, 2021, 05:54:18 AM »
Boss episode is back to pulling clips and far more interesting than the Kosick one.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #397 on: January 18, 2021, 07:58:39 AM »
man, that Reynolds episode was great.

I still don't get the hate. They can't cater to every skaters specific favorite or intriguing people. Some weeks you just may not be interested in the guest, or the guest themselves may not be good for a podcast. I really enjoy the show and appreciate what they do. Some episodes don't do it for me, but that's usually goes back to the guest.

As for the experience show - I have to be in a real skate nerd mood to sit through that one.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -12
« Reply #398 on: January 18, 2021, 08:37:00 AM »
It cost them time and money to do a podcast. They can’t just do it for free forever. It’s very easy on your part to just skip the commercial if you want. But you rather them do it for free to be “core”. I don’t understand why ppl on here are so against inactive pro skaters making money.
On another note Reynolds and Jeron reminiscing about that Australia tour was awesome. I always wondered how that video came about.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #399 on: January 18, 2021, 08:37:54 AM »
the people that bitch about the nine club didn't grow up in the era of pre-internet skating.  there was NOTHING.

411VM (4-6 times a year), magazines (once a month), Captain and Casey Show, SPoT event live streams (twice a year), videos from brands (maybe 10 in a whole year?)...THAT WAS IT.

and with half of that shit, it cost actually money.  you had to actually order or find the DVD's and magazines.

I used to go to Hollister to buy Thrasher because nowhere else in my tri-county area sold it.

I could only watch Captain and Casey at my grandma's 3 times a year IF it was even on while I was there.

I used to buy skate videos with altered soundtracks at Best Buy because you couldn't find any skate videos anywhere else.

I used to sit for 9 hours to Limewire download transworld videos at 480p.

think about what it was like BEFORE the internet?!

all of this new content is important. some content is better than others. but im grateful for all of it.

the idea of actually bitching about skate related shows and content is so fucking ignorant and sad. 

if you don't like it, don't watch it.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #400 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
the people that bitch about the nine club didn't grow up in the era of pre-internet skating.  there was NOTHING.

411VM (4-6 times a year), magazines (once a month), Captain and Casey Show, SPoT event live streams (twice a year), videos from brands (maybe 10 in a whole year?)...THAT WAS IT.

and with half of that shit, it cost actually money.  you had to actually order or find the DVD's and magazines.

I used to go to Hollister to buy Thrasher because nowhere else in my tri-county area sold it.

I could only watch Captain and Casey at my grandma's 3 times a year IF it was even on while I was there.

I used to buy skate videos with altered soundtracks at Best Buy because you couldn't find any skate videos anywhere else.

all of this new content is important. some content is better than others. but im grateful for all of it.

the idea of actually bitching about skate related shows and content is so fucking ignorant and sad. 

exalt
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2021, 08:47:54 AM »

I grew up in the 90s and there was definitely a skate community on the internet, we didnt have the ability to upload clips, but we sent locations for spots from San Jose --- SF/Oak....I actually learned how to find hubba from an Aol chat room

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

exalt

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Miller92

« Reply #403 on: January 18, 2021, 09:15:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I grew up in the 90s and there was definitely a skate community on the internet, we didnt have the ability to upload clips, but we sent locations for spots from San Jose --- SF/Oak....I actually learned how to find hubba from an Aol chat room

yeah i mean the internet has been around since like 96 but i would say 2005 internet compared to 2021 internet is as different as 1950s television with 3 channels compared to satellite tv with 300 channels in full HD.  its just so different now.

Sleezus Yikes

• Rep: 67
« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Like score rock?
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #405 on: January 18, 2021, 06:30:00 PM »

Miller92

« Reply #406 on: January 18, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
I used to go to Hollister
[close]

i would get the new thrasher and the new yellowcard cd

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #407 on: January 19, 2021, 12:40:29 AM »
man, that Reynolds episode was great.

I still don't get the hate. They can't cater to every skaters specific favorite or intriguing people. Some weeks you just may not be interested in the guest, or the guest themselves may not be good for a podcast. I really enjoy the show and appreciate what they do. Some episodes don't do it for me, but that's usually goes back to the guest.

As for the experience show - I have to be in a real skate nerd mood to sit through that one.

I co-sign everything here.

Need to emphasize how awesome the Reynolds episode is, pure gold for someone from their generation.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #408 on: January 20, 2021, 12:46:59 AM »
The boss said Kader rides 60 mm

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #409 on: January 20, 2021, 10:28:28 AM »

I think most people on here like the idea of the show or some kind of skateboarding content similar but there is so much wrong with it that people want changed. Roger and Kelly frequent this place so they are going to at least consider suggestions they read on here to improve the show.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #410 on: January 20, 2021, 11:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think most people on here like the idea of the show or some kind of skateboarding content similar but there is so much wrong with it that people want changed. Roger and Kelly frequent this place so they are going to at least consider suggestions they read on here to improve the show.

i think it is awesome for what it is. i listened to ever single episode (but not the experience, fuck that shit) and was absolutely entertained all of the time. they do a phenomenal job, especially with the consistency. fuck you haters here.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #411 on: January 20, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that would be a huge mistake.  i hope they have stopped listening to people and started trusting their instincts.  they have created content that people voluntarily pay for even if they don't have to. During a pandemic related recession! they have a consistent and engaged listener base. at this point they would be better served to build on their own thing rather than try to make someone else's vision. there has been well over a dozen good faith attempts at skateboard podcasts. many by big names and with big backers.  TWO (maybe two and a half) have ever resonated enough to sustain an audience and get people on a buzz, one of those is the 9 club.  which was totally independent, entirely their own thing, and with no real backing.  the 9 club is for sure doing it right. they have built something totally rad off of three dudes at a kitchen table. they do a lot of shows.  not every episode is going to blow you out of the water.  its not like epically later'd where its six hyper in depth episodes a year.   its not the bunt who has curated seasons. every regularly airing personality driven podcast/radio show gets resentful listeners.  if you look at the biggest names they also have their weirdly loyal resentful following.  its just part of it. people complain, but they keep coming back.

right now i think the show is really good.  they are coming back strong after a slight content dip caused by a pandemic and some musical chairs. i enjoyed the last two episodes.  Jeron knocked out of the park on the Reynolds episode. hes found his stride.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #412 on: January 20, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

even if they considered peoples suggestions from here and makes changes (not gonna happen) theres still gonna be another 100 dorks sitting at home complaining or having some issue with the changes. everybodys always gonna find something to complain about unfortunately

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #413 on: January 20, 2021, 04:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It cost them time and money to do a podcast. They can’t just do it for free forever. It’s very easy on your part to just skip the commercial if you want. But you rather them do it for free to be “core”. I don’t understand why ppl on here are so against inactive pro skaters making money.
On another note Reynolds and Jeron reminiscing about that Australia tour was awesome. I always wondered how that video came about.

I don't like the "for the love" nonsense either. These guys need to get paid for sure. They put a ton of work and money into this project. I just wish the commercials were done better. Crob reading off a sheet of paper with barely any enthusiasm is gross.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #414 on: January 20, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »
huh? the whole thing is a commercial

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #415 on: January 20, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »

All of this

And the Holister comment is dead on, our mall carried Thrasher and they got the newest issues in so quick

veritas

« Reply #416 on: January 21, 2021, 07:53:11 AM »

Everything about this clip reminds me of Crob - the interviewer voice, the simpleton questions, the total lack of prepared material

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #417 on: January 22, 2021, 03:07:21 PM »
On the recent Stop & Chat, Chris admits at one stage he didn't touch his board for a full year while doing the show, and goes on to say how he just wants to skate for fun, with out the pressure of filming a trick or skating a ledge. The guy has had what, 15 minutes of footage over the span of 25 years? He genuinely thinks he has had a full esteemed career.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
« Reply #418 on: January 22, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »
sitting here waiting for a Suciu interview

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #419 on: January 22, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
The Nine Club has been a source of joy to me in these trying times. IDGAF. They have their inconsistencies, whatever, but I really appreciate that anyone decided to do what they are doing. Some of the interviews have been utterly fantastic. It's worth the effort.