Author Topic: Hockey Talk  (Read 224975 times)

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: Hockey Talk
« Reply #2700 on: April 17, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
Although the sweep was disappointing for the Penguins, I don't think many Penguins fans were expecting a deep run. They don't have the lineup or energy they had in 16 and 17. Got rid of some key players and solid defenders and filled them in with bad contracts. They spent a lot of the season looking like they wouldn't even make the playoffs, and ultimately didn't make them by much.

Also the Islanders trapped like crazy. In 2017, the Sens used a trap and the Pens barely got by them. For some reason they can't dump and chase successfully. Trotts knows what he's doing. That might not work against other teams though.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2701 on: April 18, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
Although the sweep was disappointing for the Penguins, I don't think many Penguins fans were expecting a deep run. They don't have the lineup or energy they had in 16 and 17. Got rid of some key players and solid defenders and filled them in with bad contracts. They spent a lot of the season looking like they wouldn't even make the playoffs, and ultimately didn't make them by much.

Also the Islanders trapped like crazy. In 2017, the Sens used a trap and the Pens barely got by them. For some reason they can't dump and chase successfully. Trotts knows what he's doing. That might not work against other teams though.

Johnson-Gudbranson might be the worst defensive pairing I've ever watched... especially given both make top 4 D $$$ yet play like AHLers. Islanders don't score a lot but they carved that pairing into the ground.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2702 on: April 19, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Johnson-Gudbranson might be the worst defensive pairing I've ever watched... especially given both make top 4 D $$$ yet play like AHLers. Islanders don't score a lot but they carved that pairing into the ground.

Johnson is signed until 2023 - it's a nightmare! And I don't know what they were thinking when they signed Gudbranson to fill in a slot. They had some perfectly serviceable d-men on backup.

To be honest, Islanders carved every Penguin d-man to the ground. Even studly Letang looked bad.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2703 on: April 19, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Johnson is signed until 2023 - it's a nightmare! And I don't know what they were thinking when they signed Gudbranson to fill in a slot. They had some perfectly serviceable d-men on backup.

To be honest, Islanders carved every Penguin d-man to the ground. Even studly Letang looked bad.

Gudbranson is the worst defensemen in the entire league the past three seasons in goal differential. The Canucks had a +18 goal differential without Gudbranson on the ice, -23 with him on it this season alone. Combined -27 over the last three seasons.

Certainly didn't help that they looked completely disinterested and failed to adjust. Same can be said for Tampa too.

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #2704 on: April 19, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »

Just had this as a YT suggestion

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2705 on: April 19, 2019, 06:33:29 PM »

Sports....Success - luck = skill. What a bunch of self righteous fucks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:35:09 PM by FROTHY »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -139
« Reply #2706 on: April 19, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
Leafs Boston game was good tonight. This series has abit of everything thus far.

Very tight defensive game

Game 6 is gonna be interesting.  I think it's time for a one sided blowout that could go either way

As much as I hate the bruins, it's a classic match up for sure and I love watching.

Also stoked to see my fav of all time, stevie y, end back up in Detroit!

Detroit will be back big time in a few years. That's one team that knows how to draft and see talent where others dont (recently ie datsyuk and zetterburgh)

I'm a leafs fa through and through but I've always lived Detroit as well.

Off topic but lindstrom was another. Top 5 all time with coffee, orr, borque aaaaaand

Gentleman ninja warlock

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2707 on: April 19, 2019, 11:16:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They forgot work.....

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #2708 on: April 20, 2019, 12:06:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They forgot work.....

Always strange to me to translate human actions into maths

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2709 on: April 20, 2019, 06:42:28 AM »
I'm a penguins fan (as well as a big hockey fan in general) and I didn't expect them to make it out of the 2nd round after the up and down season they had, and I'm almost relieved they just went out in the first round. Tampa getting swept and Calgary getting eliminated shocked me for sure. I'm excited to see how the rest of these playoffs go. The Boston/Toronto series has definitely been the most entertaining.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2710 on: April 21, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
Gentleman ninja warlock

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #2711 on: April 21, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »
Please sweet baby Jesus

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #2712 on: April 22, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too

This game 7 might kill me. I am pretty sure this series has been everything everyone thought it would be and with Boston’s ice sucking it will probably come down to who gets the lucky bounce at the right time.

Unfortunate these two teams had to see eachother in the first round, but it’s starting to give us something to look forward to every season

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2713 on: April 22, 2019, 12:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

This game 7 might kill me. I am pretty sure this series has been everything everyone thought it would be and with Boston’s ice sucking it will probably come down to who gets the lucky bounce at the right time.

Unfortunate these two teams had to see eachother in the first round, but it’s starting to give us something to look forward to every season

Agreed.

Great fuckin series basically year after year. But I will say, I think this year the leafs have them.

With bergeron/chara getting older, and Marchand on his own somewhat, Boston is hurting. BUT, kudos to Boston hockey, because even when they dont have stellar superstars, they stay true to their style, and give everyone a hard time.

As much as I hate Boston, if they beat the leafs, I hope they go all the way to the finals in their downswing

Gentleman ninja warlock

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2714 on: April 22, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

Great fuckin series basically year after year. But I will say, I think this year the leafs have them.

With bergeron/chara getting older, and Marchand on his own somewhat, Boston is hurting. BUT, kudos to Boston hockey, because even when they dont have stellar superstars, they stay true to their style, and give everyone a hard time.

As much as I hate Boston, if they beat the leafs, I hope they go all the way to the finals in their downswing

The bruins have 3 players in the top 10 for points per game this season. They have the second best first line in the league. To say they don’t have any stellar players is a disservice to the team.

I do kind of think it’s torontos year. They just seem to have the speed this series and somehow that defense is holding up which is sincerely blowing my mind.

I hope the bruins take it, but I’m not holding my breath. They can’t seem to keep the intensity up for 60 minutes

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2715 on: April 22, 2019, 02:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

The bruins have 3 players in the top 10 for points per game this season. They have the second best first line in the league. To say they don’t have any stellar players is a disservice to the team.

I do kind of think it’s torontos year. They just seem to have the speed this series and somehow that defense is holding up which is sincerely blowing my mind.

I hope the bruins take it, but I’m not holding my breath. They can’t seem to keep the intensity up for 60 minutes

I gotcha, I worded that wrong. I really just meant "big named stars".

Game 7 is gonna be fun too watch! Too bad it's the first fuckin series.

And I agree on the leafs speed. But we rely waaaay too hard on the goaltending of Anderson. One bad game away from a really high scoring game. Hes easily the MVP of the team, undebatable.
Gentleman ninja warlock

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2716 on: April 22, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

And I agree on the leafs speed. But we rely waaaay too hard on the goaltending of Anderson. One bad game away from a really high scoring game. Hes easily the MVP of the team, undebatable.

Andersen lives in the bruins heads right now. He’s been so good you can see players start to overthink open looks. Pasta had basically an empty net last night and turned to pass the puck, which I just think shows you the presence Andersen has in the series

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2717 on: April 22, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Andersen lives in the bruins heads right now. He’s been so good you can see players start to overthink open looks. Pasta had basically an empty net last night and turned to pass the puck, which I just think shows you the presence Andersen has in the series

It might be my biased opinion here, because I truly have blurred lines between Toronto fan, and hockey fan. But IMO, Anderson is not only the best goalie in the league, hes the best player in the league right now. And I cant remember who the last goaltender was that had such a profound effect on the team overall? It's happened lots though, maybe that's why I cant remember. 

The goaltender on colorado might even be on that level which totally contradicts what I just said lol. That guy is amazing as well

Gentleman ninja warlock

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2718 on: April 22, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It might be my biased opinion here, because I truly have blurred lines between Toronto fan, and hockey fan. But IMO, Anderson is not only the best goalie in the league, hes the best player in the league right now. And I cant remember who the last goaltender was that had such a profound effect on the team overall? It's happened lots though, maybe that's why I cant remember. 

The goaltender on colorado might even be on that level which totally contradicts what I just said lol. That guy is amazing as well

lmao, come on. what a delusional pearler, not sure how you could possibly justify that opinion. lehner, grubauher, bishop & bob have all been better than andersen these play offs.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:45:56 PM by honey island »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2719 on: April 22, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

lmao, come on. what a delusional pearler, not sure how you could possibly justify that opinion. lehner, grubauher, bishop & bob have all been better than andersen these play offs.

Look at Anderson's season. The leafs would be knowhere without him.

I'm not just talking playoffs here
Gentleman ninja warlock

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2720 on: April 22, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you said he is the best player in the league right now, when he not even close to the best goalie in the league. how is that possible? he's not even a veznia trophy finalist.

9th in save percentage
5th in goals against
24th in goals against average

he is a important player for the leafs, but he is not even remotely close to the being the best goalie or the best player in the league. what a ridiculous call.

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2721 on: April 22, 2019, 05:15:18 PM »
Bruins and Sharks forcing game 7. Boy is tomorrow going to be stressful!

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2722 on: April 22, 2019, 05:52:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you said he is the best player in the league right now, when he not even close to the best goalie in the league. how is that possible? he's not even a veznia trophy finalist.

9th in save percentage
5th in goals against

he is a important player for the leafs, but he is not even remotely close to the being the best goalie or the best player in the league. what a ridiculous call.

Stats dont tell the whole story my man. Don cherry said it, so fuck you. Hes the fred gall of hockey lol
Gentleman ninja warlock

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2723 on: April 22, 2019, 06:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

9th in save percentage
5th in goals against

[close]

Stats dont tell the whole story my man. Don cherry said it, so fuck you. Hes the fred gall of hockey lol

don cherry.

that says everything.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2724 on: April 22, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

9th in save percentage
5th in goals against

[close]

[close]

Fred gall

that says everything.
Gentleman ninja warlock

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2725 on: April 22, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »

I'm already stressing over the Toronto vs. Boston game. I'm getting flashbacks to things I'd rather forget. Leafs can pull it off if they stay out of the penalty box though.

Red

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2726 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm already stressing over the Toronto vs. Boston game. I'm getting flashbacks to things I'd rather forget. Leafs can pull it off if they stay out of the penalty box though.

Don't worry, things will be different now that Toronto is rid of Kessel. You can't win with that guy.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2727 on: April 22, 2019, 11:03:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don't worry, things will be different now that Toronto is rid of Kessel. You can't win with that guy.

Lol, this is truth for the leafs.

Any predictions on score?

I'm calling leafs 3-2
Gentleman ninja warlock

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2728 on: April 23, 2019, 03:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ben Bishop was the best goalie in the league this year. Look at goals for, goals against, shot differential all of it. Ben Bishop put Dallas on his back

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2729 on: April 23, 2019, 04:32:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck another game 7 lol

Great win for the b's

Great game too
[close]

[close]

Agreed.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ben Bishop was the best goalie in the league this year. Look at goals for, goals against, shot differential all of it. Ben Bishop put Dallas on his back

another thing to look at is offence. dallas were 28th for goals scored. the 3rd worst in the league. compare to that toronto who had the 3rd most. andersen has had a lot more help than bishop has.

best player in the league, lmao.