Author Topic: Influencers giving people money for views  (Read 149 times)

Prostate Exam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Influencers giving people money for views
« on: February 28, 2024, 11:36:01 AM »
I was just curious. On my explore page I often stumple
upon videos of influencers with a whole lot of followers that give people money, claiming to help them and take them out of an unfortunate situation or whatever.

The videos always leave me thinking whether it is all staged or not. I remember this French skater with the gray hair doing a similar thing and based on his other videos he doesn't seem to be one of the most genuine guys out there.

Whoe started this? Is there any evidence, that most of this is fake or am I just a dickhead for not believing in the good in humans?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
Re: Influencers giving people money for views
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 12:00:30 PM »
Every influencer video my wife shows me starts off…’hey guys, I just found out about…’.

Every beauty and home improvement product marketer promotes the same product at the same time.

The whole industry is suspect.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 12:14:35 PM »
I dunno. I used to see something similar on Twitter years ago. Specifically Black Twitter. In places where anti-Black violence popped off during the Trump administration the rapper Lecrae helped move / transfer college students if they no longer felt safe in their community. Or like, “DM me your info; I’m paying toward student debt up to $5gs until 2pm,” as another example I saw.

Some folks in my area set up mutual aid when the pandemic hit and people would post their venmos and paypals. Always gonna be someone to take advantage, but it takes a lot to ask for help and I choose to believe it was mostly honest.

In 2021, Kylie Jenner gave $5000 to her former makeup artist’s gofundme - which put it over the $10000 initial goal, and people were sour that she didn’t give more. I get it; but sometimes you just can’t win.

I would say it’s somewhere in the middle. Sometimes a scam, sometimes not.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 12:16:38 PM »
Every influencer video my wife shows me starts off…’hey guys, I just found out about…’.

Every beauty and home improvement product marketer promotes the same product at the same time.

The whole industry is suspect.

Like every podcast promoting LMNT and Athletic Greens.