Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798812 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7710 on: November 07, 2023, 07:41:44 AM »
Here's a side by side with the 440, it's fairly easy to see how there's more padding and material in the entire upper:

nice to see them next to a 440 version i actually have

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7711 on: November 07, 2023, 07:54:45 AM »
As mentioned on the previous page.
I WOULD 100% buy multiple Tom Karangelov pro shoes!
We’ve seen the Wknd collab in the Rumble Pack video, and I’ve heard rumblings of an Museum collab… those both will be must cops..

soot_yawd

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7712 on: November 07, 2023, 08:03:22 AM »
600s arrived today (didn't skate them). I wear a US10 in everything but Tyshawn's (10.5), and ordered these in a 10.5 (luckily).

As usual with the 'square toe' (westgates/1010s NB# 10.5 seem just a hair roomy (with heel slip) so a 10 would be too small (like many reviewers on youtube note...)..so you either like them snuggie or roomy vs TTS. I think many have different opinions on which of those (snuggie or roomy) is how they refer to TTS, i.e., personal pref.

The runner eyelets, thankfully, fix the heel slip - so we'll see. I like the look of them enough to try and make them work.

Light

They're narrower than then look online; they have a long shoe look (vs something like the 480/foy/255) which is usually the case with NB# Square toes (e.g.,westgates)

No sockliner =( but a single tongue stay strap

Only one pair of (white :( laces

Zero padding - even the upper/collar is very thin

Super flexible / very thin upper (which, TBH, gives them a sort of cheap/thin feel, especially the suede, like a payless shoe)

Moderate to low arch feeling

Ortho lite insole is nothing special, if a bit stiff, not very cushy; gonna swap it out for something thicker, hopefully taking of some to the roomy fit

SKINNY mid-foot, like the 480s - if you have rubble feet, these won't be for you

They remind me of the ishods, fucking toob subway footlong shoes (but fit better)

I agree with this review generally. I have worn lots of 1010s / 808s / 508s / 480s / 440s. I size up a 0.5 size on the 1010s and 808s and had to do the same with the 600s.

The upper of the 600s felt surprisingly thin in store. But I wouldn't say cheap. The other side of the coin is that the thinness made these feel broken in right out of the box. We'll see how durable they are.

The sole provides more impact protection--especially in the forefoot--than the 508s and 440s. Better board feel than the 480s and 808s.

My favorites are the 1010s and 808s. My biggest gripe about them is that my heel never feels really locked in. I have to cinch the laces tight to compensate. Call me crazy, but since the 1010s and 808s are sort of a call back to the puffy shoes of the 90s, they look better not laced up really tight. I just can't skate in them that way.

That's where the 600s shine. My heel feels really locked in. No heel slip at all. My gripe with these is that looking down at the shoes, they look long and skinny. Maybe a more padded upper would help with the proportions.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7713 on: November 07, 2023, 09:14:47 AM »
About 1hr skating in the 600 and so far I think it's gunna take some break in time. The flick is "weird" for me compared to what I've skated recently (1010, 440, Japan S, SB Dunk), I find the fit to be great, padding is ample, but it's definitely stiffer than I thought. I think it should break in more but right now I'd compare it to the Japan more than another NB.

One concern I already have is durability. I'm pretty easy on shoes and broke the stitches on both sides within 10 pops. Below is my nollie/sw sliding foot after only a few nollies. I don't have significant wear on my 440 on this foot and don't snap stitches this fast.

On the leading foot I think the curved area where the suede meets the rubberized mesh is going to be a big wear point and it's already worn through the stitching.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7714 on: November 07, 2023, 09:33:37 AM »
About 1hr skating in the 600 and so far I think it's gunna take some break in time. The flick is "weird" for me compared to what I've skated recently (1010, 440, Japan S, SB Dunk), I find the fit to be great, padding is ample, but it's definitely stiffer than I thought. I think it should break in more but right now I'd compare it to the Japan more than another NB.

One concern I already have is durability. I'm pretty easy on shoes and broke the stitches on both sides within 10 pops. Below is my nollie/sw sliding foot after only a few nollies. I don't have significant wear on my 440 on this foot and don't snap stitches this fast.

On the leading foot I think the curved area where the suede meets the rubberized mesh is going to be a big wear point and it's already worn through the stitching.

Damn, that shit is wearing fast.

Looking at the toe stiches compared to the heel stitches on my pair, it's almost like the toe stiches weren't tightened down/pulled taught? The heel stitching looks more 'tucked' in the seam of the sole.

Suede wear is also questionable (this is where/the material I said felt cheap/thin).

As for the collar padding, it looks puffy but the actually feel of it (squeezing it thumb and index), that's nothing for padding.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:42:59 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7715 on: November 07, 2023, 09:37:42 AM »
Expand Quote
600s arrived today (didn't skate them). I wear a US10 in everything but Tyshawn's (10.5), and ordered these in a 10.5 (luckily).

As usual with the 'square toe' (westgates/1010s NB# 10.5 seem just a hair roomy (with heel slip) so a 10 would be too small (like many reviewers on youtube note...)..so you either like them snuggie or roomy vs TTS. I think many have different opinions on which of those (snuggie or roomy) is how they refer to TTS, i.e., personal pref.

The runner eyelets, thankfully, fix the heel slip - so we'll see. I like the look of them enough to try and make them work.

Light

They're narrower than then look online; they have a long shoe look (vs something like the 480/foy/255) which is usually the case with NB# Square toes (e.g.,westgates)

No sockliner =( but a single tongue stay strap

Only one pair of (white :( laces

Zero padding - even the upper/collar is very thin

Super flexible / very thin upper (which, TBH, gives them a sort of cheap/thin feel, especially the suede, like a payless shoe)

Moderate to low arch feeling

Ortho lite insole is nothing special, if a bit stiff, not very cushy; gonna swap it out for something thicker, hopefully taking of some to the roomy fit

SKINNY mid-foot, like the 480s - if you have rubble feet, these won't be for you

They remind me of the ishods, fucking toob subway footlong shoes (but fit better)

[close]

I agree with this review generally. I have worn lots of 1010s / 808s / 508s / 480s / 440s. I size up a 0.5 size on the 1010s and 808s and had to do the same with the 600s.

The upper of the 600s felt surprisingly thin in store. But I wouldn't say cheap. The other side of the coin is that the thinness made these feel broken in right out of the box. We'll see how durable they are.

The sole provides more impact protection--especially in the forefoot--than the 508s and 440s. Better board feel than the 480s and 808s.

My favorites are the 1010s and 808s. My biggest gripe about them is that my heel never feels really locked in. I have to cinch the laces tight to compensate. Call me crazy, but since the 1010s and 808s are sort of a call back to the puffy shoes of the 90s, they look better not laced up really tight. I just can't skate in them that way.

That's where the 600s shine. My heel feels really locked in. No heel slip at all. My gripe with these is that looking down at the shoes, they look long and skinny. Maybe a more padded upper would help with the proportions.

Do you use the runner eyelet for the lace/heel lock? Better than cinching them down overly tight. And fixes the heel slip that ***I*** get when they are laced normally as they are a tad roomy...

I like the sole, grip (standing, not yet skated) feels great and the outsole appears to be durable. They look long and skinny because they are, take out the insole and look at the footbed at the arch area, very narrow (like the 480).

Yeah, this is proper, but I can't skate them like that either.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:47:41 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7716 on: November 07, 2023, 09:59:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn, that shit is wearing fast.

Looking at the toe stiches compared to the heel stitches on my pair, it's almost like the toe stiches weren't tightened down/pulled taught? The heel stitching looks more 'tucked' in the seam of the sole.

Suede wear is also questionable (this is where/the material I said felt cheap/thin).

As for the collar padding, it looks puffy but the actually feel of it (squeezing it thumb and index), that's nothing for padding.

Yah all the stitching looks like it hasn't been pulled tight even on the upper. If you scroll up to my 440 comparison you can see where the ollie area has worn the side of the shoe down and that is happening just as quickly if not quicker on this shoe since the curve dips lower on the side than the top of the 440 bumper.

The heel is strange it is really bulbous an has good ankle stability, but the heelflip flick feels weird. Its mostly likely a me thing, but the first time skating a NB shoe where I felt I had to adjust my timing and positioning.

I skated them with the stock insole, but might throw something with a bit more arch support in. It is right on the border of just enough for my flatter feet to get by, but not quite as supportive as a 1010.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7717 on: November 07, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »
Bulbous how/where? The heel counter shape (back of heal), the 'cup' or dip into the insole?

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #7718 on: November 07, 2023, 12:15:25 PM »
Skating or not, if my shoes have exposed stitching on the sole I always run a lighter over it.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7719 on: November 07, 2023, 12:18:43 PM »
Skating or not, if my shoes have exposed stitching on the sole I always run a lighter over it.

Funny you say that, I just did that to my pair instead of crazy gluing them (which I still might do).

I'd imagine people are gonna be pissed after the first few kickflips tho, I know if I would if I hadn't seen this thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 07:55:04 PM by Xen »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7720 on: November 07, 2023, 02:31:39 PM »
Quick question for all ya 1010 wearers.

Do these shoes stretch out length- and/or widthwise? And anyone tried to use a flatter insole in them? How long will it take to break them in just walking around?

This is the first time I ever tried a shoe with that much tech in it. Fresh out the box they are stiff but my heels feel really locked in which I like.
IG: @flowterspace

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7721 on: November 07, 2023, 02:36:03 PM »

Do these shoes stretch out length- and/or widthwise? And anyone tried to use a flatter insole in them? How long will it take to break them in just walking around?

This is the first time I ever tried a shoe with that much tech in it. Fresh out the box they are stiff but my heels feel really locked in which I like.

the thin 440 insole works well in them if the stock is a little much in thickness (its really not much) or too much arch

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #7722 on: November 07, 2023, 02:46:12 PM »

They’re a lil stiff at first due to all the padding in the sidewalls and foam midsole. Bend and flex the shit out of the sole in multiple directions and that’ll jump start the break in process. Usually takes me about 2-3 sessions to fully break them in but I do a lot of jumping. They’ll last forever and the shape of the upper won’t ever bag out

Still_ill

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7723 on: November 07, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
Anyone know how different the Rone 1010’s fit? I’m TTS in the Poets collab and wondering if the Rone’s will be too loose to skate if they’re less padded.
Thanks

(long time lurker first time poster)

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7724 on: November 07, 2023, 05:53:34 PM »
Anyone know how different the Rone 1010’s fit? I’m TTS in the Poets collab and wondering if the Rone’s will be too loose to skate if they’re less padded.
Thanks

(long time lurker first time poster)

They definitely fit longer because they took out the heel pods but didn't shorten the shoe. Feels roomy on the back, but just walking in them vs normal tiagos I dont notice too drastic of any sort of heel slip or anything. Could def go half size down but they dont make 12.5s. Some people say tts is good tho, so your mileage may vary

rothdigga

• Rep: 585
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7725 on: November 07, 2023, 06:55:33 PM »
@rothdigga any word on whether or not there will be colorways of the 600 without the mesh over the toe?

want to try them but was not a fan of that on some tiagos I had.

Just checked future catalog images and I see we're pretty much mesh on all of them in 2024.  I think the design and structure of that shoe is different than the 1010 where we alternate suede vs mesh on the toe but the 600 must need to stay mesh.  I'll ask Jeff for more clarity but it's mesh.  They do have built in durability in them, so if that's what you're worried about I would give them a shot.  But if the mesh just doesn't feel good on your foot, that might not work. 

Still_ill

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7726 on: November 07, 2023, 07:02:25 PM »

They definitely fit longer because they took out the heel pods but didn't shorten the shoe. Feels roomy on the back, but just walking in them vs normal tiagos I dont notice too drastic of any sort of heel slip or anything. Could def go half size down but they dont make 12.5s. Some people say tts is good tho, so your mileage may vary

Thanks! I might have to flip a coin on what size to get. I guess if I end up going TTS I can always stuff the tongue to make them a little more snug.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #7727 on: November 07, 2023, 07:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote
@rothdigga any word on whether or not there will be colorways of the 600 without the mesh over the toe?

want to try them but was not a fan of that on some tiagos I had.
[close]

Just checked future catalog images and I see we're pretty much mesh on all of them in 2024.  I think the design and structure of that shoe is different than the 1010 where we alternate suede vs mesh on the toe but the 600 must need to stay mesh.  I'll ask Jeff for more clarity but it's mesh.  They do have built in durability in them, so if that's what you're worried about I would give them a shot.  But if the mesh just doesn't feel good on your foot, that might not work.

Can you ever give us an exclusive on an upcoming colorway?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:30:44 PM by Atiba Applebum »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7728 on: November 07, 2023, 08:54:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks! I might have to flip a coin on what size to get. I guess if I end up going TTS I can always stuff the tongue to make them a little more snug.

That’s exactly what I did lol and it helped. I just used tissue tho so now the tongue is def stiffer than before

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7729 on: November 07, 2023, 11:35:01 PM »
Got a chance to grab a pair of 1010's at a good discount. Never skated them before – should I go 10.5 if my normal size is 10? From what I've gathered here people tend to skate them +0.5.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #7730 on: November 08, 2023, 01:56:53 AM »

Just a heads up: The stitching breaking doesn't mean much about durability...
that is most likely just a decorative stitching and not actually stitched through the upper, because current shoes don't really need the stitching. The glue used nowadays to bond upper to tooling is a lot stronger than back in the day, so those stitches are put before assembly as its easier for mass production (a Stan Smith is like that for example).

Also just as an example: You can do 2 or 3 kick flips in a Superstar and the toe stitches will all rip straight away, but the shoe is still a tank.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #7731 on: November 08, 2023, 02:16:24 AM »
Got a chance to grab a pair of 1010's at a good discount. Never skated them before – should I go 10.5 if my normal size is 10? From what I've gathered here people tend to skate them +0.5.
Noo that’s the 808. Get size 10.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #7732 on: November 08, 2023, 04:31:58 AM »
Everyone on this thread sounds like they are trying to be the Paul Schmitt of podiatry

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #7733 on: November 08, 2023, 06:37:23 AM »
On a lighter note: Why are the Yellow/Green 480s labeled as  “White with orange”. Am I colorblind?

Seems mustard yellow to me 🤷🏿‍♂️

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7734 on: November 08, 2023, 06:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that is most likely just a decorative stitching and not actually stitched through the upper, because current shoes don't really need the stitching. The glue used nowadays to bond upper to tooling is a lot stronger than back in the day, so those stitches are put before assembly as its easier for mass production (a Stan Smith is like that for example).

Also just as an example: You can do 2 or 3 kick flips in a Superstar and the toe stitches will all rip straight away, but the shoe is still a tank.

Oh yah, I'm not worried about the sole coming off just seems like an aesthetic flaw. There's for sure some QC issues with the shoes with substantial variance between the right and left. Even my wife noticed that the "Fantomfit" coating on the mesh toe is twice as wide on one shoe and the stitching/paneling doesn't seem to be the same. Minor stuff but first time I've noticed a NB having these flaws.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7735 on: November 08, 2023, 08:02:44 AM »
Bulbous how/where? The heel counter shape (back of heal), the 'cup' or dip into the insole?

Here are some pics comparing to 440 and 1010. The 1010 has a wider sole, but the upper is narrower and tapers upward. The 440 is similar to 600 but is just narrower and not as padded. The 600 reminds me of a Dunk heel almost

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #7736 on: November 08, 2023, 08:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Oh yah, I'm not worried about the sole coming off just seems like an aesthetic flaw. There's for sure some QC issues with the shoes with substantial variance between the right and left. Even my wife noticed that the "Fantomfit" coating on the mesh toe is twice as wide on one shoe and the stitching/paneling doesn't seem to be the same. Minor stuff but first time I've noticed a NB having these flaws.

Do you think ghosts tell one another to “post a fantomfit”?

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #7737 on: November 08, 2023, 08:42:42 AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7738 on: November 08, 2023, 10:22:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I had to melt some of phantom fit (the thin border on the mesh) back onto the mesh (discoloring the mesh in the process), it was coming off at the toe crease, left shoe, and this is just walking around for two days inside; my mesh/PT and stitching look fine otherwise.

Def some QC issues - I wonder how many factories they use, maybe that explains sizing QC/discrepancies? Haven't heard or seen anything wrong with the 480s.

Glad I didn't pay full price for these; last attempt at NB#.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 01:08:19 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7739 on: November 08, 2023, 10:39:10 AM »
The Reynolds 480 had some sole delams in this thread and multiple pairs of my Jake Darwen 440 high had the same issue. Other than that I've never had a problem with my NB shoes so this is interesting. I don't know whether to glue the stitching back or just cut it off so it'll look cleaner.